TESTERS WANTED! ×

In for Review! - Adams CMB Irons

• SPY VIP

The new Adams CMB Irons arrived last week. We probably won't be doing a full blown "ULTIMATE" Review of these, but you can bet I'm going to spend plenty of time getting acquainted with them.

Let me just say that the pictures simply do not do these irons justice. When I first saw the Spy Pic we posted a little while back, quite honestly, I didn't think very much of these irons (I'll go so far as to say I thought Adams made a mistake). Seeing them in person, however; well...I've changed my tune. They are indeed a beautiful iron; everything we've come to expect from Adams.

The head shape in the short irons (particular the PW, and GW) is slightly reminiscent of a Mizuno MP-R12 wedge. Some may find them slightly bulky, though the topline is about what I'd expect from a modern iron of this class (not too thin, not too thick).

Soles are relatively narrow, and are in-line with other irons in this class.

I'm hoping to hit them tomorrow, and perhaps even spend some time on the golf course with them.

As has been reported, the stock shaft is the KBS C-Taper. The stock grip is the Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound. Previously Adams had used black and white as the stock color pattern. On the CMBs they've gone to White/Black (white is the predominant color). It's a subtle change, but it's one I like quite a bit.

It's too soon to say for certain, but they certainly have the look of the next great Adams iron.

I'm attaching a TON of pics. Let us know what you think!

AdamsCMB-1.jpg

AdamsCMB-2.jpg

AdamsCMB-3.jpg

AdamsCMB-4.jpg

AdamsCMB-5.jpg

AdamsCMB-6.jpg

AdamsCMB-7.jpg

AdamsCMB-8.jpg

AdamsCMB-9.jpg

AdamsCMB-10.jpg

AdamsCMB-11.jpg

AdamsCMB-12.jpg

AdamsCMB-13.jpg

AdamsCMB-14.jpg

AdamsCMB-15.jpg

AdamsCMB-16.jpg

AdamsCMB-17.jpg

AdamsCMB-18.jpg

AdamsCMB-19.jpg

AdamsCMB-20.jpg

AdamsCMB-21.jpg

AdamsCMB-22.jpg

AdamsCMB-23.jpg

AdamsCMB-24.jpg

AdamsCMB-25.jpg

AdamsCMB-26.jpg

AdamsCMB-27.jpg

AdamsCMB-28.jpg

AdamsCMB-29.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

My league partner hit 5 shots with these last week and ordered a set on the spot. Said that they were the best feeling and most consistent iron that he has hit in years. I am not going to get to hit them for a while.... Ruptured Achilles tendon. No golf for the next 4-6 months. :angry:

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

T: As you do your personal review, I'm really hoping you can touch on the sole and the turf interaction for these if possible. I've had these on my radar since you first put up the Spy Pics. I have a wicked hard time finding irons with a sole that I like and it sounds like Adams has done an excellent combo on these with heel to toe cambre for varied lies yet not a long front to back edge.

While my Miura's won't be going anywhere for years, I always like having an iron set or 3 around for variation. Wouldn't mind hearing how you think these stack up against the 501's in the forgiveness vs workability realm as well.

I'd also like to know how you get along with the C Tapers in these. They won't be my shaft of choice here but I bet a lot of people are going to love them in these.

Quite the laundry list eh?

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I like the way they look and like them even more because C-Tapers are the stock shaft :) I like the black A12s better, but these still look great. I am very curious to see if these have the "Like Butter" feel that they said it would have. Now what kind of irons are these considered?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

• SPY VIP

T: As you do your personal review, I'm really hoping you can touch on the sole and the turf interaction for these if possible. I've had these on my radar since you first put up the Spy Pics. I have a wicked hard time finding irons with a sole that I like and it sounds like Adams has done an excellent combo on these with heel to toe cambre for varied lies yet not a long front to back edge.

While my Miura's won't be going anywhere for years, I always like having an iron set or 3 around for variation. Wouldn't mind hearing how you think these stack up against the 501's in the forgiveness vs workability realm as well.

I'd also like to know how you get along with the C Tapers in these. They won't be my shaft of choice here but I bet a lot of people are going to love them in these.

Quite the laundry list eh?

I'll work through it...

As for the C-Tapers. I know them well. Josh C. from the NY Golf Center recommended them when I did my CB-501 fitting, and there simply wasn't any reason to go against the numbers. I love the feel, and more importantly I love the ball flight. I have no reason to expect that they won't perform well in the CMBs.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

I like the way they look and like them even more because C-Tapers are the stock shaft :) I like the black A12s better, but these still look great. I am very curious to see if these have the "Like Butter" feel that they said it would have. Now what kind of irons are these considered?

These qualify as what we're fond of calling "Player's Cavitybacks". I'd put them in the same class with the Mizuno MP-59, Wilson FG Tour v2, PING i20, Miura CB-501, TaylorMade Pro CB, etc.

Absolutely beautiful. Love how they threw the gold CMB in there. Every little detail is perfect on these.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

I'm guessing Taylormade will be very happy with these.. :rolleyes:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'll work through it...

As for the C-Tapers. I know them well. Josh C. from the NY Golf Center recommended them when I did my CB-501 fitting, and there simply wasn't any reason to go against the numbers. I love the feel, and more importantly I love the ball flight. I have no reason to expect that they won't perform well in the CMBs.

Sorry T. As my boss mentioned frequently, I'm a work causer since I can't leave anything alone heh. And my bad, I forgot it was the C Tapers that went into the 501's.

I'm guessing Taylormade will be very happy with these.. :rolleyes:

Hope so. It looks miles better then anything they've stuck out recently in the iron world.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I saw these at a demo day Sunday and absolutely LOVE the look. Not too much offset, top line is moderate, a little shorter from heel to toe. I didn't get a chance to hit it, but it might be the first iron I'd look to if I were going to replace my Ansers.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I've hit these and really liked them. Was surprised at what I saw from the C Taper shaft as I thought I would get a low ball flight. But that really wasn't the case for me.

I'm guessing the difference between PX and C-Tapers is maybe 6 yards higher... You have to remember these have tungsten weights in the toe of the club. You have a C-Taper that launches a little higher than a DG in a high-launch clubhead. The mix of these two components should be a little on the medium to med-high side.

I'm guessing the difference between PX and C-Tapers is maybe 6 yards higher... You have to remember these have tungsten weights in the toe of the club. You have a C-Taper that launches a little higher than a DG in a high-launch clubhead. The mix of these two components should be a little on the medium to med-high side.

Now thats the type of first post we like to see! welcome to the forum!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

After looking at the pictures of theses irons I must say they look fantastic. I would say they are a12's with a tad thinner topline and sole. I am currently looking at buying a12's and now that I have seen these I dont know if I should wait. The C-taper shafts worry me though with its advertised low ball flight. I cant wait to read a more in-depth review and get more details on these clubs.

After looking at the pictures of theses irons I must say they look fantastic. I would say they are a12's with a tad thinner topline and sole. I am currently looking at buying a12's and now that I have seen these I dont know if I should wait. The C-taper shafts worry me though with its advertised low ball flight. I cant wait to read a more in-depth review and get more details on these clubs.

C-Tapers are higher launch than Dynamic Gold and slightly lower than PX. Hit them on a launch monitor and check them out. For me they're a boardier version of the DG. I get about 4 yards more with the C-Taper and that's due to the lower spin. If you're not holding greens you might worry, but these clubheads should get the ball up and spin more...

Here is Titleist's iron shaft chart:

9gSNa.jpg

C-Tapers are higher launch than Dynamic Gold and slightly lower than PX. Hit them on a launch monitor and check them out. For me they're a boardier version of the DG. I get about 4 yards more with the C-Taper and that's due to the lower spin. If you're not holding greens you might worry, but these clubheads should get the ball up and spin more...

Here is Titleist's iron shaft chart:

9gSNa.jpg

Thanks for the info. Holding greens can be a problem for me and i have been fitted for KBS shafts before and a kbs tour stiff would probobly be better for me personally, but i would love to take C taper's out to the range and get a true test

Interesting opinion on the C-Taper... Not saying you are wrong, individual results very greatly in "feel"...

However, I play C-Taper X-Stiff smoothest feeling X-Stiff I have played in an iron shaft thus far. PX 6.5 was the most 2x4 feeling ever, DG x100 was somewhere in the middle in terms of feel for me personally. I haven't gotten much time in Nippon line up and X-Stiff shafts like SFB and Modus 3. If a KBS is boardier then other shafts probably should sue them for false advertisement as they claim them to be smooth without compromising performance.

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/shafts/kbs-ctaper

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Interesting opinion on the C-Taper... Not saying you are wrong, individual results very greatly in "feel"...

However, I play C-Taper X-Stiff smoothest feeling X-Stiff I have played in an iron shaft thus far. PX 6.5 was the most 2x4 feeling ever, DG x100 was somewhere in the middle in terms of feel for me personally. I haven't gotten much time in Nippon line up and X-Stiff shafts like SFB and Modus 3. If a KBS is boardier then other shafts probably should sue them for false advertisement as they claim them to be smooth without compromising performance.

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/shafts/kbs-ctaper

I wouldn't say the C-Tapers are harsh, quite the opposite: they are quite smooth. But for me, they feel more boardy. I'd describe them as the boardy kick of a PX with the smoothness of the DG.

My personal scale is Smooth --> Harsh and Progressive --> Boardy. One is more the vibration/feedback of the shaft, the other is more the feel of the kick.

ohh okay I see what you are saying now, the transition and load feels like a DG to you but the kick feel more like a PX. I can see that if that is what you mean.

I feel a C-Taper bend two places in a perfect swing. Once just bellow the butt section lag in the down swing, and then a baby pop right after impact when the club exits the divot, the pop comes from just above the tip section low on the shaft. All that pop does is tell me my strike was good and my angle of attack was perfect. Other then that no the shaft doesn't move much, so I can see the board like feel into impact like PX has.

I tend to use Smooth, medium, harsh, board when referring to the feel during the load, the kick well I don't want an over active tip going all over the place at a 94mph 6 iron SS personally I like the stable feel and kick.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

We are getting these bad boys in on 6-15-2012! You can get a quote and pre-order yours now by emailing us at CS@fairwaygolfusa.com :)

Ask for Ryan and let us know you are coming from MyGolfSpy and we'll try to do something extra for our loyal MyGolfSpy members!

Just a reminder FairwayGolfUSA.com offers

-Price Match Guarantee to any authorized retailers!

-90 day playability guarantee

-Easy Returns and Exchanges

-FREE SHIPPING on all orders above $50 and just $6.99 for anything under that

Been serving golfers for over 20 years. Fairway Golf Inc

-Ryan

FairwayGolfUSA.com

CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

858-268-1702

logo.jpg

Email: CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

Can you get S+ from Adams?

We are getting these bad boys in on 6-15-2012! You can get a quote and pre-order yours now by emailing us at CS@fairwaygolfusa.com :)

Ask for Ryan and let us know you are coming from MyGolfSpy and we'll try to do something extra for our loyal MyGolfSpy members!

Just a reminder FairwayGolfUSA.com offers

-Price Match Guarantee to any authorized retailers!

-90 day playability guarantee

-Easy Returns and Exchanges

-FREE SHIPPING on all orders above $50 and just $6.99 for anything under that

Been serving golfers for over 20 years. Fairway Golf Inc

-Ryan

FairwayGolfUSA.com

CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

858-268-1702

I hit all these shafts on the launch monitor and the C Tapers were the lowest launch.

C Taper = 16.9 LA & 29.8 Feet Peak

PX 6.0 = 17 LA & 24.6 Feet Peak

DG S300 = 17.7 LA & 30 Feet Peak

PX 6.5 = 18.8 LA & 29.6 Feet Peak

DG X100 = 19 LA & 32 Feet Peak

PX 5.5 = 20.3 LA & 31.4 Feet Peak

TOUR 90 = 20.8 LA & 34.8 Feet Peak

TOUR = 21.4 LA & 37.1 Feet Peak

The C Tapers gave me 1500 to 2000 RPMs less spin than any of the others and I was very much concerned that they would be too low and not hold the greens. That was totally not the case. They have a perfect ball flight for me. (FOR ME) What is interesting is that most people say the Project X are longer than the Dynamic Golds but that was not the case for me.

The bottom line is if you are going to spend several hundred dollars for new irons, get the proper shaft. And the proper shafts are only proper for you.

A couple of months ago I was playing in a scramble with a guy that had some Mizuno MP14s in raw finish. I asked him if I could hit one, and he had the X100 shaft. I assumed I was about to embarrass myself and end up half was to the green. I nearly got a hole in one, and everyone was mad because that was not the shot we could use. Therefore I went into the shaft fitting with an open mind, but ended up with C Taper X Stiff. Broke par yesterday so I am very happy with them.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

30 feet? You hitting knuckleballs or are you talking yards? :unsure:

What are your actual spin numbers?

I hit all these shafts on the launch monitor and the C Tapers were the lowest launch.

C Taper = 16.9 LA & 29.8 Feet Peak

PX 6.0 = 17 LA & 24.6 Feet Peak

DG S300 = 17.7 LA & 30 Feet Peak

PX 6.5 = 18.8 LA & 29.6 Feet Peak

DG X100 = 19 LA & 32 Feet Peak

PX 5.5 = 20.3 LA & 31.4 Feet Peak

TOUR 90 = 20.8 LA & 34.8 Feet Peak

TOUR = 21.4 LA & 37.1 Feet Peak

The C Tapers gave me 1500 to 2000 RPMs less spin than any of the others and I was very much concerned that they would be too low and not hold the greens. That was totally not the case. They have a perfect ball flight for me. (FOR ME) What is interesting is that most people say the Project X are longer than the Dynamic Golds but that was not the case for me.

The bottom line is if you are going to spend several hundred dollars for new irons, get the proper shaft. And the proper shafts are only proper for you.

A couple of months ago I was playing in a scramble with a guy that had some Mizuno MP14s in raw finish. I asked him if I could hit one, and he had the X100 shaft. I assumed I was about to embarrass myself and end up half was to the green. I nearly got a hole in one, and everyone was mad because that was not the shot we could use. Therefore I went into the shaft fitting with an open mind, but ended up with C Taper X Stiff. Broke par yesterday so I am very happy with them.

30 feet? You hitting knuckleballs or are you talking yards? :unsure:

What are your actual spin numbers?

I actually have no idea what the units are on the launch monitor. :blink: I assumed they were feet but never gave it much thought. I will not list all of the spin numbers, but for the S300, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, and Tours was 6000-6900. The Tour 90 (inexplicably) and the X100s were 4700 and 4800 and the C Tapers was 4350.

The distance that the launch monitor shows is no where near what I get in real life but I am not unhappy with my distance now. The monitor said I would hit the 6 iron 190 with the C Taper. In reality I am hitting it 168. I might could have gone with a weaker flex than the XS but it is really hard to beat a ball that goes where you want it to go and travels the distance you want. Besides, I like the ranges I am hitting the ball. But that was also a different head with different loft. One of those 5 irons with a 6 printed on it.

I now hit my pitching wedge 124 and go up 13 yards per club from there. Since according to the statistics I average 138 yards from the pin on par 4's I rarely hit more than an 8 iron anyway.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Majority of the time the LM is set to peak height of yards or meters, most time it is yards in the states. Based on the LA that RR posted yards sounds about right.

One thing you have to watch for in high volume stores (PGa Superstore in M.B. is guilty of this) they will set the wind to 10 or 15 mph straight down wind and conditions to hard so you get more roll. Most people over look the details and go "man i hit this club way longer" no s**t you do based on the LM settings. It's a not so honest way to help sell clubs the shops marketing tool so to speak.

From what I recall when i first got the C-Taper (pre-ordered them before release) I was getting about 4500 RPM of spin on the 6 iron with the X-Stiff CT about a 14* LA and roughly 198 yards of carry. I need to get into a LM again that is good and get some more up to date numbers. If I recall PX was about 500 to 1900 RPM higher and DG x100 was about 500 to 1000 RPM higher then that.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you get S+ from Adams?

They only come in Reg, Stiff, and X-stiff. We can put the C-Taper S+ shafts in them for you as a custom option. We do a lot of custom work here at FairwayGolf.

Email us or call for more information

CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

858-268-1702 EXT209

-Ryan

logo.jpg

Email: CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

• 1 month later...

The new Adams CMB Irons arrived last week. We probably won't be doing a full blown "ULTIMATE" Review of these, but you can bet I'm going to spend plenty of time getting acquainted with them.

Let me just say that the pictures simply do not do these irons justice. When I first saw the Spy Pic we posted a little while back, quite honestly, I didn't think very much of these irons (I'll go so far as to say I thought Adams made a mistake). Seeing them in person, however; well...I've changed my tune. They are indeed a beautiful iron; everything we've come to expect from Adams.

The head shape in the short irons (particular the PW, and GW) is slightly reminiscent of a Mizuno MP-R12 wedge. Some may find them slightly bulky, though the topline is about what I'd expect from a modern iron of this class (not too thin, not too thick).

Soles are relatively narrow, and are in-line with other irons in this class.

I'm hoping to hit them tomorrow, and perhaps even spend some time on the golf course with them.

As has been reported, the stock shaft is the KBS C-Taper. The stock grip is the Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound. Previously Adams had used black and white as the stock color pattern. On the CMBs they've gone to White/Black (white is the predominant color). It's a subtle change, but it's one I like quite a bit.

It's too soon to say for certain, but they certainly have the look of the next great Adams iron.

I'm attaching a TON of pics. Let us know what you think!

I tried a demo 6 iron last week and fell in love!!! It didn't matter if I was hitting the stiff or extra stiff shaft, it felt amazing and I felt like I had really good control over the club on the backswing and downswing. Needless to say, I ordered a set. When I get the whole set and actually take them out to the range I'll post another review.

By the way, new to MGS. I enjoyed reading the other reviews so I thought I'd sign up. Cheers!

Archived