TESTERS WANTED! ×

MyGolfSpy's ULTIMATE CLUB TEST

• SPY VIP

Hey Guys...not too long ago GolfSpy X asked you all if you thought MyGolfSpy should do our own version of the Hot List. Overwhelmingly you guys said we should. We've taken that to heart.

While the golf equipment industry is definitely one of different strokes for different folks, you've made it clear that you're tired of the Everybody Gets a Medal model, and those Editor's Choice lists where...surprise...we choose everything!

I'm not begrudging anybody anything. The guys who put those lists together work hard...damn hard. But as I've been told, when you take advertising dollars from the big golf companies, you have to be careful not to step on anybody's toes.

Of course operating differently like we do has led to the unfortunate perception that sometimes we care less about golf than we do toe-stomping. Nothing could be further from the truth. What we believe in is testing golf clubs, and letting the numbers tell the story (even if it's my job to provide some commentary around those numbers). We're not going to compromise that model. So while we don't have a budget (or the human resources) to take on every category at once, we believe it is time we try to give you the type of list you've told us you want.

As we get closer to the review itself I'll have more information, and hopefully an interesting surprise or two, but for now here's the starter version of what you need to know:

• We will test using the same protocols we would use for a standalone review. This means we test 3 woods off the tee (scores based on total yards - distance offline), and 5 woods to a target set to an appropriate distance (scores based on radius/proximity to the target)
  • Since we are strong advocates for custom fitting, each OEM that agreed to participate was given the opportunity to fit our testers based on launch data we provided. Most have elected to incorporate some aspect of custom fitting.
  • Not every OEM offers exactly the same lofts, nor are all clubs the same length. While it's an imperfect system, given the role accuracy plays in our tests, we think it's mostly going to come out in the proverbial wash.

I'll be unveiling the participants as the clubs arrive. The response we received from the OEMs has been great. I view it as a validation of what we're trying to do here at MyGolfSpy, and while testing hasn't yet started, I'd like to thank each and every one of the golf companies who has agreed to participate in our ULTIMATE FAIRWAY Test.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are awesome - so glad I've found this site -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Very cool. Can't wait to see the reviews!

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I can't wait either. This will help me out so much when I buy a fairway wood in a month or two!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

• SPY VIP

Did Callaway send you those two shafts as well for the test T?

Yup. As the clubs roll in and I take the pics I'll be including the shafts in the photos as well.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Yup. As the clubs roll in and I take the pics I'll be including the shafts in the photos as well.

Intriguing. Was this done as a fitting thing, ala you requested those options? I'm not trying to badger, I just think it's pretty cool. Usually reviews just show off the rack performance and don't really highlight what happens when some other options are thrown in there that bring some heads to life as it where.

I can only aplaund the OEM's that decided to take part in this as well given MGS's history of not sugar coating things.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

Intriguing. Was this done as a fitting thing, ala you requested those options? I'm not trying to badger, I just think it's pretty cool. Usually reviews just show off the rack performance and don't really highlight what happens when some other options are thrown in there that bring some heads to life as it where.

I can only aplaund the OEM's that decided to take part in this as well given MGS's history of not sugar coating things.

We provided each of the OEMs launch data from previous driver tests, fairway tests (where available), as well as some general information about our testers (height, swing tempo, tendencies, etc.) We didn't request any specific shafts, instead leaving it to the OEMs to provide, should they choose to do so, a more appropriate shaft for each of our testers.

In a perfect world we'd do in person fittings, but since that wasn't possible in this case, we felt this was the next best thing. It's almost certainly not perfect, but we think we'll do much better than off-the-rack.

In broader terms we're slowly moving away from off-the-rack testing. As you know we have been huge proponents for custom fitting, and we think custom fitting should be integrated into our reviews to whatever extent is possible. Thus far, the response from every OEM we've discussed it with has been overwhelmingly positive.

Can't wait! Thanks for putting this together -- you guys seriously rock it!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This is great, I can hardly wait. Especially, with the Razr Fit and the GD AD DI shaft, that would be a mate to my driver. I might even be able to raise my own 5 and 7 woods from birth. However, I am not sure that is how they make fairway woods.:D

Oh and by the way, our politically correct police officer,jmiller, has asked that they be called fairway metals, and in the case of the Callaway, I guess that would be called a fairway composite. However, you could still lump it under the same umbrella as fairway wood for the rest of us.:P

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Not every OEM offers exactly the same lofts, nor are all clubs the same length. While it's an imperfect system, given the role accuracy plays in our tests, we think it's mostly going to come out in the proverbial wash.

That is real world since as golfers we all have to demo clubs with those same differences and then make a choice between them. I think the average golfer just hits a club and doesn't pick up on things the OEM's do to tweak performance, often at the expense of something else - for example, lengthening shafts and reducing loft to optimize distance. I guess that is your point on it coming out in the wash. That "something else" is often loss of accuracy and forgiveness.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, looking forward to reading the reviews. As I mentioned in another post, I consider the fairway wood to be the "Aquaman of golf clubs". Hope springs eternal that one of these days I'll find one that I have confidence in.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

This is going to be cool, I am wondering what OEMs agreed to participate? Can we get a list of the OEMs and Models that will be in the review or is that take pictures and surprise everyone type of thing?

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• SPY VIP

This is going to be cool, I am wondering what OEMs agreed to participate? Can we get a list of the OEMs and Models that will be in the review or is that take pictures and surprise everyone type of thing?

I'm going to trickle the photos/models etc. out as they come in.

Would hope that you get a lefty in there to give his results as well.... Would be nice reading how they felt with certain clubs being 99% of all info I get/read is from righties... Not that there is anything wrong with it.. ;)

Hit them Long and Straight

Thus far, the response from every OEM we've discussed it with has been overwhelmingly positive.

I have to say it for the record, the above is simply awesome.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

Posting in order once all clubs from a given OEM arrive. This one may surprise a few people.

In For Testing: TaylorMade RocketBallz Fairway

RBZFW-1.jpg

RBZFW-2.jpg

RBZFW-3.jpg

RBZFW-4.jpg

RBZFW-5.jpg

WOW..I can't believe they sent the RBZ! It's put-up or shut-up time for TMag

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

WOW..I can't believe they sent the RBZ! It's put-up or shut-up time for TMag

I would say that they have already "put up". Whomever is responsible for sending this proved that TMag is not just Ballzy but they have RocketBallz.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Any luck with Bobby Jones? Would love to see how their white fairway wood, 'scuse me, fairway metal, stacks up...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Love how Tmag sent the rocketballz, just wish they would have sent some Adams Xtd too. Just wondered the difference between the two since Tmag bought Adams.

I would put my bets on the Adams!!!!!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

So does this mean that MGS and TMag has kissed and made up? B)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Just a quick note... I will be revealing "contestants" in the order that they arrive (and only when 100% of the samples have arrived). Once we have everything and everyone posted I'll be happy to answer any questions about the who and why of any companies not included (although in most cases the answer is going to be woefully simple).

Archived