Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MyGolfSpy's ULTIMATE CLUB TEST

This is great! How many more club models are you expecting?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

This is great! How many more club models are you expecting?

All I'll say is that we're not done yet.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Man I LOVE the look of those Titleist fairways......that's hot ;)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• SPY VIP

Any idea on when we can expect this review?

We're running a bit behind schedule. I'm still waiting on delivery of some clubs, and one other BIG SURPRISE that we're going to launch with this test.

Optimistically...I'm hoping to start testing by the middle of next week.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

Still waiting on some clubs to arrive (getting frustrating at this point), but part of the delay in starting is because we've been waiting for this to arrive:

FlightScope X2-C Launch Monitor

As the result of a recent partnership agreement, FlightScope is now the Official Launch Monitor Provider of MyGolfSpy's ULTIMATE Review process. We'll have more about this very soon, but the short of it is that with the exception of one review that is in the pipeline we'll be using FlightScope's X2 Launch monitors for all ULTIMATE Reviews as well as shaft reviews (Matt has one as well), and any lab articles (or anything else) where we leverage launch monitor technology.

(and no...this is not the big surprise I referenced in a recent status update...although it is a surprise, and it's definitely big)

x2-1.jpg

x2-2.jpg

x2-3.jpg

x2-4.jpg

x2-6.jpg

x2-5.jpg

Still waiting on some clubs to arrive (getting frustrating at this point), but part of the delay in starting is because we've been waiting for this to arrive:

As the result of a recent partnership agreement, FlightScope is now the Official Launch Monitor Provider of MyGolfSpy's ULTIMATE Review process. We'll have more about this very soon, but the short of it is that with the exception of one review that is in the pipeline we'll be using FlightScope's X2 Launch monitors for all ULTIMATE Reviews as well as shaft reviews (Matt has one as well), and any lab articles (or anything else) where we leverage launch monitor technology.

(and no...this is not the big surprise I referenced in a recent status update...although it is a surprise, and it's definitely big)

I'd say that's a really nice surprise. What will you do in the winter though? As many have pointed out, FlightScope requires a certain amount of ball flight for accuracy and that's hard to get in an indoor space.

• SPY VIP

I'd say that's a really nice surprise. What will you do in the winter though? As many have pointed out, FlightScope requires a certain amount of ball flight for accuracy and that's hard to get in an indoor space.

As it stands now the plan is to continue testing indoors (Tark's) albeit with the FlightScope unit. We believe we have the requisite amount of space for it to work properly.

• 2 weeks later...

So by my tally we have:

Callaway RAZR FIT Fairway

TaylorMade RocketBallz Fairway

Bridgestone J40 Fairway

PING G20 Fairway

Titleist 910 Fairway Woods

Mizuno MP-650 Fairway Wood

Nike VR_S Fairway

TourEdge XCG5 Fairway Woods

+ FlightScope X2-C Launch Monitor

+ Super big surprise

I'm assuming nothing from "hybrid company"? ;)

I hadn't remembered how many there were until I wrote them down. Really can't wait to hear the results.

somehow i completely missed this thread. this is mouth watering stuff!

feels like christmas come early!

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Hey T, how did things go yesterday? So far, so good?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

• SPY VIP

These showed up the tail end of last week.

Just Arrived - Cobra AMP Fairway

Cobra AMP Fairway-1.jpg

Cobra AMP Fairway-2.jpg

Cobra AMP Fairway-3.jpg

Cobra AMP Fairway-4.jpg

Cobra AMP Fairway-5.jpg

Cobra AMP Fairway-6.jpg

That flightscope just looks cool.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• 2 months later...

I've also been wondering when we'll hear about this?

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

• SPY VIP

Uh, Yeah...so we're long over do on giving you an update...and actually publishing the data. This test has been a textbook case of everything that can go wrong...

We had hoped to use our FlightScope for this...after pushing back over a month hoping for a software fix, we decided it was most prudent, at least from a time perspective to push forward with the aboutGolf units. We'll get FlightScope into the mix soon (I love the data that comes out of it), but we're not there yet.

One of our core testers also coaches soccer at RPI, so his availability has been limited (to the point where I want to punch him in the face), so trying to get him in has been difficult.

Most significantly, after the first round of testing another one of our testers got sidelined with an extremely serious medical issue. There's no hyperbole when I say that he nearly died. The initial hospital stay was nearly a week, and he's had to endure two subsequent stays. Fortunately, he's much better, and swinging (and swinging well again), and with a little luck, we'll get the testing wrapped up in the next week or two.

While I have your attention...

What would you like to know...directly from our testers, about the clubs they've been testing?

As much as we b1tch about the lack of substanative data from the Hot List and Club Test, you have to step back and admire the logistics involved in such a test. Granted this is some peoples jobs so it is not that big a deal But it is so much more that getting a bunch of clubs and a bunch of dudes together in the same place.

I guess that if you just need y number of testers, you could go on random weekends and find them, but when you start getting the same guys, custom fitting, and the guys are doing it in there free time, no pay, It would probably be easier to herd cats across the Oregon Trail than put this together. This is the testing, the easy part (not really) is getting the data in a readable form.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I'm looking forward to this. FWs are easily the most constantly changing club in my bag. Just this year I've had Mizuno JPX-800, Adams Idea Super, TalylorMade RBZ, PING i15, and Cleveland Mashie. I should just buy the top scoring one from the test, go get fit for a shaft, and be done with it.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• SPY VIP

Just a quick update, guys. One of our testers just wrapped up testing (the first of 5 to complete all 9 clubs). I haven't looked at the data yet, but I have a good idea where certain things are going to shake out for him. One of the potentially interesting things we did was shoot a video. We don't have the best equipment, but we found a decent spot to shoot it...and I've already learned a lot about what I'll do differently after seeing the first one. We know you guys want to see more video, so I'm working towards getting over my fear of the camera (and that general 'tool' feeling that come with it).

The first one, is very much a standard interview with our tester, asking about the clubs and what not. I'm going to try a few different styles as I talk to my testers about the the fairway woods. Not sure when we'll post, but be sure to let us know what you like, and don't like (be gentle...as I said, video is awkward enough for me), and I'll use those suggestion to shape future videos.

nice! looking forward to it.

From the pic you tweeted (and your subsequent tweet), seems like the Callaway and Mizuno FW's are doing quite well.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Yep, definitely looking forward to this. If you look at my signature you'll see a gaping-wide gap between Driver and 3h which I haven't been able to fill adequately. No pressure guys, but I'm putting all my eggs in your fairway metal review basket! :o

Sorry for being so late to the party, I some how missed this thread.

WOW, how amazing is this and with THE BIG SURPRISE still to come. I for one am impressed.

AJ

P.S. THE BIG SURPRISE is that this is all BS and the OEMS told us to go get F*****. blink.gif

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

So presumably the reason an OEM puts their clubs up for a no holds barred, tell it like it is comparison is that if their club is proven to be the best of the bunch then consumers will take notice and buy their product. (stating the obvious)

No doubt the winning brand will use the review as bragging rights as well.

The FW has been a club that I have never been able to settle on and I currently do not bag one.

Based on the fact that my previous purchases from MGS reviews have been successful, I for one will be buying the FW that wins this review and I will be letting the OEM know as well.

That is how confident I am that the club that comes out on top will be worth the money.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Like a couple of others, I too missed these initial posts, and am glad to have found this thread.

Earlier this year I purchased a Mizuno MP650 3-wood. It is an absolute rocket off the fairway and tee, but I did not seem to get along great with the Orochi shaft. To me, it just feels too boardy and unforgiving. Someone earlier mentioned they think it is a clone of a Blueboard shaft. I've hit these in the driver before, and the stock Orochi shaft does not remind me of the Blueboard driver shaft. Anyway, I am getting the 3-wood reshafted this week with an Xcaliber FW shaft. I will post a full review in the Member Review section after I have a chance to play with the reshafted club.

Back to this thread, while I do like the Mizuno, I am in no way committed to it, so am really looking forward to these results.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

No Cleveland huh? Those bastards. Sad thing is that I am pretty sure the CGBlack FW would be longer than the RBZs and more forgiving. They just hurt themselves. No Bobby Jones is not so much a surprise. No Adams is pretty surprising though. And I am sure you never even asked, but I would love to see how the Muraman Shuttles and PRGR Eggs stacked up.

My prediction is that the G20 comes in as best in show.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

No Adams? I'm really surprised. I have yet to find a fairway wood I like better than my Adams Speedline.

2016 M1 10.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 3W Aldila RIP Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 19° Matrix Radix S7 Stiff 
Ping i25 4i-PW KBS Stiff (soft-stepped)
Titleist SM7 52 8° F Stiff
Titleist SM7 56 8° M Stiff
Titleist SM7 60 4° L Stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34" Superstroke Flatso 2.0
Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips
Snell MTB Red (Optic Yellow)
Powerbilt TPS Cabretta Tour Glove
Callaway RAZR Laser

• SPY VIP

No Adams? I'm really surprised. I have yet to find a fairway wood I like better than my Adams Speedline.

We made every reasonable effort (and then some) to include Adams in the test. It didn't pan out.

Archived