TESTERS WANTED! ×

Music on the Course

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

So as I walked the lovely green course today I encountered two different groups who were playing music from phones (?) in the cart while they played. One group of heros rolled up to putt, parking their carts near the next tee. This was very generous as my playing partners got to tee off hearing how they were sexy and they knew it. Dude, what are you doing? ran into another group a few holes later also listening to music in the cart. Is there a new trend here?

Am I just the old guy wanting the damn kids to get off my lawn?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

What are you complaining about? You pay your greens fees, that entitles you to make as much noise as you want... :blink:

Encountered this once with a twosome I was paired up with. Thankfully they just listened while they drove---they turned it either down or off when someone was hitting. Still don't understand why they thought it was necessary in the first place...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well, I belong to a club that allows private golf car ownership. A couple of years ago, we had the first stereo installed in a golf car. Now there are several of them. The Wednesday Night Scrambles (aka, Beer Can Opens) have now evolved into to each group playing loud music and a party like atomosphere. This is OK because this is a fun party like atmosphere. However, the music is also being played during the weekend games. Although not as loud. One of the guys in my swat (as I have learned to call them here.) has a speaker system in his car and can connect his iPhone. Initially I hated this. But then some of the other guys started asking him to play it. Especially, when I said something about it to one of them. The next time I was kicking his butt he decided to play music to irritate me. I have since learned to ignore it. I will say that I think he only plays it on the tee box or at least that is the only time I hear it.

I personally do not listen to music much when I drive, although I drive about 300 miles a month unless I take my wife to Dallas. I put more miles on my golf car than I do on my Range Rover per day.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I personally do not listen to music much when I drive, although I drive about 300 miles a month unless I take my wife to Dallas. I put more miles on my golf car than I do on my Range Rover per day.

I would love to be able to make a claim like this. One day...

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I would love to be able to make a claim like this. One day...

Yeah, and the only shoes I will put on this week are golf shoes. :D

I will go to the bank tomorrow, but other than that I will not leave the house except to play golf until Saturday night when I take my wife out. She is busy until then. But I will still get in about 10 hours per day of work.:angry:

Before I took my business over to Europe, I was driving 57,000 miles per year. My 5 year old truck had 268.000 miles on it when I sold it. So I am nonrepentant.

Experienced the same thing 2 weeks ago... a couple of retards playing music with their iDevice with external speakers boxes!

Spared myself the discussion with them, called the club house and had them take care of it. :rolleyes:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Yet somehow it was funny when Rodney did it in Caddyshack... :D

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The first time I experienced this I was playing in a Pro-Am about 8 years back... When I arrived, other pros were coming up to me wishing me luck for the day. When I found my group I realized why... They had a gallon jug of homemade apple pie shots, had a dewalt radio blaring, and housing beers (an hour before the shotgun start). I said to myself "Oh boy..." I'll tell ya what- I had an absolute blast playing with those guys- I probably should've had someone chauffeur me home, but it was awesome and we took second place!

I don't mind playing with music or if someone I'm playing with is playing music in the cart because none of that bothers me. I am sure that whoever has the music mutes it whenever near other groups and that the volume isn't too loud where it can be heard from other holes.

I've never had to boot someone from my facility for music, but I've asked them to turn it down. It's become very popular during golf outings and charity fundraisers for people to be bringing the boom boxes with them. And ya know what- I'm all for it. There are too many people quitting golf these days and if being able to play music is keeping them in it, I'm fine with it.

We were playing today, 6 man wolf, and this subject came up. The guy with the speakers in his car turned on the music. A different guy, one who I never would have guessed felt that way, said how much more enjoyable golf was since people started playing music in the cars. This started a discussion about it and apparently, those people who do not like it are in the minority. Well, at least in that group because it was 5 for it and 1 who could not care less.

Of course, I will say that the music was not blasting away. If the music bothered you, you could move to the other side of the tee box and it could not be heard from there. Also, that was really the only time I could here it. However, the wind here was blowing, as usual. Just a slight breeze of 10 to 12 which be normal standards is; normal.

I grew old with electric guitars blasting. It's nice now that I can hear birds and insects when I Golf. I only turn on my stereo when I'm driving long distance and alone. I still like the electric guitars blasting but I also very much like the silence.

I think music and other noises are a bad habit that needs to be out of the fairways. There is already more than enough noise in our daily lives and we need a space to appreciate silence too.

Shambles

It is becoming more common at our course too. I enjoy it during normal play, but would not want to hear it during a competitive round. I think it should be common practice for those playing music to ask their group if they mind it, if they do, it should stay off. There is something to be said for the relaxing and peaceful nature of golf, being outside and enjoying the day. For some, music can enhance that, but for others it can detract from it. For me, it can just depend on the day.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

good stuff - it's important to be respectful of others on the course....

that said - I've been on an empty course with my buddy and we've put music up on our iphones during our round - I actually really enjoyed it, and it helped me focus a bit.

At my recent Cobra Puma fitting, they were bumping music the entire time, and it honestly helped put me at ease and added some atmosphere to things.

I'm going to guess the biggest problem with music on the course is finding something everyone can agree on!

But yeah, if I was out for a normal round by myself, and someone else was blaring their music, I'd be irritated - that, or I'd turn on my own tunes on my iphone and blast back at them.

I LOVE the idea of the personal golf cart with stereo and evening tournament with beers and music - I could get into that.

I did this with my iphone for one hole with no one out on the course early in the morning. Then I realized how annoying it was, that was the first and last time I every did it. I have ran into it at other courses and it is a huge pain.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Really the only time that this has happened to me this season occurred a couple of months ago down in florida. As a foursome we were walking on a cart course, and let a threesome who were playing incredibly fast (with carts) play through. They were blasting music, but turned it off to hit. The hole is a severe (almost 90 degree) dog leg right and without any practice swings the first two guys step up and bomb it straight down the middle probably ~290. The third guy (a lefty) steps up and wraps this running draw around the corner which catches the ridge that runs through the middle of the fairway, and ends up 70 yards from the hole on a 417 yard par 4. Back in the cart they go, turn the music on, and zoom off to play their next shots. We had already hit our tee shots, and they were playing so quickly that by the time we reached the corner of the whole, the first two guys had already hit (one in the bunker, the other in the middle of the green). The third guy steps up and hits this beautiful half wedge that hits the flag on the fly and drops too two feet. This was one of the hardest holes on the course, and he had basically made a mockery of it. Back on goes the music, and off they go. What I'm trying to say, is that if you can play, you can play music and not get flac from me. These guys blew my mind (and the course was pretty much empty as well, so no one else could have taken offense). On the other hand, if you've never picked up a club and are out on a busy course blasting music, I'll get annoyed very quickly. There's a time and a place, and that is the true distinguising factor that must be analyzed when considering this situation imo.

Just finished reading all the responses in this thread and I'm actually a little surprised by how much some are bothered by music. For the past couple years I can probably count on one hand the number of rounds I've played without listening to music on the course. If I'm playing with a group of people I don't know, or I get close to other groups near a teebox or green then I will make sure it's turned way down. But if it's just me or the guys I regularly play with then we always have the tunes going.

This thread is also perfect timing. We just moved over the winter to live on a golf course and my wife was nice enough to let me get my own cart. The first thing I did was order speakers for it :) (I haven't painted it yet, but I did just get my new seats today. Going to end up with a metallic blue color and two white stripes down the middle like an old Camero or Chevelle)

Yes, those are 6x9's under the seats :D

fr33x.jpg

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So as I walked the lovely green course today I encountered two different groups who were playing music from phones (?) in the cart while they played. One group of heros rolled up to putt, parking their carts near the next tee. This was very generous as my playing partners got to tee off hearing how they were sexy and they knew it. Dude, what are you doing? ran into another group a few holes later also listening to music in the cart. Is there a new trend here?

Am I just the old guy wanting the damn kids to get off my lawn?

Damn I am an old fart but I like that song that might have got my competitive juices going well would have loosened me up anyhow seriously i can see both sides of the story if I was playing in a serious competition etc it might would bother me but playing a casual round i would probably think it was funny Personally I would not play music on the course out of consideration of others but golf and society has changed

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 3 years later...

Personally, I cannot stand to hear groups playing (or blaring) music from across the fairway. I've also teamed up with a few people from time to time to move play along a little quicker and they turn music on in the middle of a round. Drives me absolutely nuts.

I feel like golfing, at least for me, is a chance to break away from my normal routine and just have a bit of quite time. Unless I hit a crazy good shot, then its not so quite anymore. 

Just wonder how everyone felt about it? Think its a golf course sin? Or an acceptable practice? Would love to hear everyone's opinion!

WIMB:

:nike-small: Covert Driver set at 10.5

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 15 Degree 3 wood

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 19 Degree Hybrid

:nike-small: Cover 2.0 Irons 4-PW, AW

52 Degree Shakespeare Wedge

60 Degree Giga Golf Wedge

Golfmate Putter

Judge Smails would agree...

https://youtu.be/W3A9rLoz_0o

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Judge Smails would agree...

https://youtu.be/W3A9rLoz_0o

As would PlaidJacket!

As for me -- doesn't bother me one bit. I don't listen to music while playing, but don't care if someone else in my group does. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Honestly depends on the type of music being played. I know this is going to sound funny coming from a redneck but I can not stand modern country or some of this techno mess. None of my regular group does it anyhow. I may play some with the buds in if on the range but seldom

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Personally, I cannot stand to hear groups playing (or blaring) music from across the fairway. I've also teamed up with a few people from time to time to move play along a little quicker and they turn music on in the middle of a round. Drives me absolutely nuts.

I feel like golfing, at least for me, is a chance to break away from my normal routine and just have a bit of quite time. Unless I hit a crazy good shot, then its not so quite anymore. 

Just wonder how everyone felt about it? Think its a golf course sin? Or an acceptable practice? Would love to hear everyone's opinion!

I'm not going to bore anyone with my rehash about playing music on the course. However, for the most part I agree with iLikeGolf. If you're interested do a few searches in the forums and you'll find my thoughts.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I can't stand it and I'm a huge music lover. When I'm out golfing I want to hear mowers and birds, not some jackasses stereo.

It doesn't surprise me that people can't concentrate on just golf and need to be stimulated every second, it's the way it is these days. People can't even stand and observe things around them anymore without burying their faces in their cellphones.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I listen to music in my headphones when I play by myself but as far as loud music from speakers it's annoying. In a scramble it's ok but not when I am playing a round that matters

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I can't stand it and I'm a huge music lover. When I'm out golfing I want to hear mowers and birds, not some jackasses stereo.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I have music playing about 85% of my day, either in my headphones or in the car, but something about hearing being played from cart drives me insane.

WIMB:

:nike-small: Covert Driver set at 10.5

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 15 Degree 3 wood

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 19 Degree Hybrid

:nike-small: Cover 2.0 Irons 4-PW, AW

52 Degree Shakespeare Wedge

60 Degree Giga Golf Wedge

Golfmate Putter