TESTERS WANTED! ×

Music on the Course

GolfSpy Dave

I don't mind quiet music a whole lot, but it should never be played at a level loud enough to affect other golfers.  For those who insist that its their right ro play their music at whatever volume they want, I'd refer them to the USGA Rules.  Although the Etiquette section doesn't really impose requirements, it does say:

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

Seems simple to me

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I don't mind quiet music a whole lot, but it should never be played at a level loud enough to affect other golfers.  For those who insist that its their right ro play their music at whatever volume they want, I'd refer them to the USGA Rules.  Although the Etiquette section doesn't really impose requirements, it does say:

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

Seems simple to me

Amen!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't mind quiet music a whole lot, but it should never be played at a level loud enough to affect other golfers. For those who insist that its their right ro play their music at whatever volume they want, I'd refer them to the USGA Rules. Although the Etiquette section doesn't really impose requirements, it does say:

Seems simple to me

The rules themselves disallow music. I've gotten folks disqualified for it before. Rule 14-3 and its clarified in decision 17.

I can't stand it. Those in the music camp insist you can't hear it outside their cart. I've heard music on the course plenty enough to tell me they're wrong. I go to the golf course for the sounds of nature and that of a well struck golf shot. Not to hear your crappy music through a micro sized speaker in your cup holder. If you have to have it and break the rules, fine, use headphones. I don't want to hear it

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

If you want to hear music while you play wear ear buds or headphones as to keep the noise between your ears.

Over the years there as been a increase in noise period. People don't talk they yell. I was taught never to speak loud enough to be heard by anyone outside my group. That means no yelling across the fairway, on the greens, etc. These days people show no regard to anyone outside of their group.

So what? So let's dance..

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

I play music when I'm out alone as in the may be 4 people on the course. And I don't care if people in the group play it, keep it low though.

I find the people that yell after a drive, putt, par, chip in, or bad shot, far Far FAR more annoying.

A vast majority of people golfing at muni's here don't really care about the rules much any way.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

The rules themselves disallow music. I've gotten folks disqualified for it before. Rule 14-3 and its clarified in decision 17.

I can't stand it. Those in the music camp insist you can't hear it outside their cart. I've heard music on the course plenty enough to tell me they're wrong. I go to the golf course for the sounds of nature and that of a well struck golf shot. Not to hear your crappy music through a micro sized speaker in your cup holder. If you have to have it and break the rules, fine, use headphones. I don't want to hear it

Well put Rookie.

WIMB:

:nike-small: Covert Driver set at 10.5

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 15 Degree 3 wood

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 19 Degree Hybrid

:nike-small: Cover 2.0 Irons 4-PW, AW

52 Degree Shakespeare Wedge

60 Degree Giga Golf Wedge

Golfmate Putter

• 1 year later...

I used this today and LOVED it! I slid it into the pocket next to my water bottle on my new Callaway HL-5. Great little speaker, and it's even waterproof! Called the Mini H2O

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I listen to music but only on the driving range and with earbuds. Doesn't disturb others and helps my mood while practicing. However I never play music on the corse.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This one came outta the archives!

I'm not a fan for myself, but it doesn't usually bother me. We encounter a lot of guys that have music playing, and it's usually not loud.

I agree with others that the yelling and other loud moronic things is far worse.

This one came outta the archives!

I'm not a fan for myself, but it doesn't usually bother me. We encounter a lot of guys that have music playing, and it's usually not loud.

I agree with others that the yelling and other loud moronic things is far worse.

I'm not a fan of music on the course. Last weekend there was a group on the 18th green and their music was blaring. I was over on the 9th green and could hear every note. Then just yesterday as I was attempting to make a crucial final putt on 18 there were a bunch of goons (liquored up I'm guessing) on the 10th tee box yelling all over the place and yucking it up. Which is worse? Probably the goons.... or as I like to call them... the Fools.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• SPY VIP

Personally, I cannot stand to hear groups playing (or blaring) music from across the fairway. I've also teamed up with a few people from time to time to move play along a little quicker and they turn music on in the middle of a round. Drives me absolutely nuts.

I feel like golfing, at least for me, is a chance to break away from my normal routine and just have a bit of quite time. Unless I hit a crazy good shot, then its not so quite anymore.

Just wonder how everyone felt about it? Think its a golf course sin? Or an acceptable practice? Would love to hear everyone's opinion!

Amen! Long time friends asked me not to come out anymore last year because I don't like it...

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Personally, music on the course doesn't bother me one bit. I raised 4 kids and am used to noise. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Doesn't bother me at all. If it's good music I even enjoy it.

Really any noise to me is fine as long as it's consistent. It's the one offs that get my attention.

Something that really seems to affect me is when I'm going through my routine and one of the guys is mowing near me and they turn the mower down or off.

I really don't mind if you keep mowing as long as it's constant. If you shut the mower off or turn down the engine right before I am getting ready to hit it breaks my concentration.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I'm a huge music fan.... just not on the golf course.

I played a round yesterday with 2 younger guys (both 25) that I work with. They turned the music on, but it was very low. The only time you could hear it is if you were standing by their cart. That doesn't bother me. As long as I can't hear it when I'm making a shot, I don't care. I just don't see the need for it, though. To each their own!

Personally, music on the course doesn't bother me one bit. I raised 4 kids and am used to noise. 

Great. Then you'd probably not mind if I holler at the guys near by while you miss your pressed $5.00 Nassau putt.  :D

You know... 4 kids and all.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great. Then you'd probably not mind if I holler at the guys near by while you miss your pressed $5.00 Nassau putt. :D

You know... 4 kids and all.

Looks like we've added a 5th.

I'm guessing most grownups know the difference between yelling during someone's backswing and someone listening to music.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Firmly in the music camp.  Often times we have 3 or 4 carts all playing different music in one group.  No big deal to me.

Honest question for the guys who hate music.  I understand you don't like it on the course.  I do like it on the course.  What makes the enjoyment of your round more important than the enjoyment of my round?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Firmly in the music camp.  Often times we have 3 or 4 carts all playing different music in one group.  No big deal to me.

Honest question for the guys who hate music.  I understand you don't like it on the course.  I do like it on the course.  What makes the enjoyment of your round more important than the enjoyment of my round?

Etiquette 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Firmly in the music camp. Often times we have 3 or 4 carts all playing different music in one group. No big deal to me.

Honest question for the guys who hate music. I understand you don't like it on the course. I do like it on the course. What makes the enjoyment of your round more important than the enjoyment of my round?

The enjoyment of my round (quiet) isn't bothering anyone.

I completely agree with @jlukes- and the problem isn't necessarily music. It's lack of respect for others. Could be the guys blaring rap music then cussing out the marshall when he asks them to turn it down. Could be the guys who never fix their divots. Could be the golf now foursome who has downed a case of beer and lost a box of balls on the front nine.

I play once in awhile with a couple of guys who play music on their cart. The first time, they asked if it bothered me. It didn't. It's never loud, and has never been an issue.

The enjoyment of my round (quiet) isn't bothering anyone.

Quiet isn't as fun.  Not being able to listen to music during golf does bother me.

We play music in our group all the time. Not loud but loud enough. Do I need to have it to play, nope. It does add to my round enjoyment though.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

It must be an old southern guy thing because I have never seen or better yet heard music being played in the groups I play with...

Maybe I need to sneak one of them boom boxes out to the course and fire that sucker up during this Tuesday's blitz

A little Hank Williams Jr. should get er done!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

It must be an old southern guy thing because I have never seen or better yet heard music being played in the groups I play with...

Maybe I need to sneak one of them boom boxes out to the course and fire that sucker up during this Tuesday's blitz

A little Hank Williams Jr. should get er done!

I'm down with some Hank!  Follow it up with Merle and Johnny

I'm down with some Hank! Follow it up with Merle and Johnny

Now ya cooking with Crisco

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Oh boy, this topic always heats up the forums. I always finds it interesting how this topics and a few others always puts a divide between us all (shorts anyone?). I think we can all agree that we all have a passion for golf, that is why we gather here. I think we can all agree that want golf to continue to to grow. One way to do this is to loosen the stiff traditional rules here. As a golf coach I always preach to the kids how much similarities there with golf and life. There seems to be no compromises any more. You are either in one party or the other. Why can't you have music on the course? If the group is okay with it and makes the experience more fun than do it! But be respectful of your environment, the next three fairways don't need to join your conversation or party. we should be trying to reach to a new generation of golfer, not shut them out. That will kill this industry faster than than blue drivers and orange pants.

During a casual round at my course I be perfectly accepted when I am golfing in my cargo shorts, basketball jersey, flip flops, and respectfully listening to Skynyrd on the bluetooth speaker at 20% volume. But if you ask me to join your three some I am more than willing to put on my polo, khakis, golf shoes and leave the blue tooth in the locker room. I just want a good round with good company.

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

Oh boy, this topic always heats up the forums. I always finds it interesting how this topics and a few others always puts a divide between us all (shorts anyone?). I think we can all agree that we all have a passion for golf, that is why we gather here. I think we can all agree that want golf to continue to to grow. One way to do this is to loosen the stiff traditional rules here. As a golf coach I always preach to the kids how much similarities there with golf and life. There seems to be no compromises any more. You are either in one party or the other. Why can't you have music on the course? If the group is okay with it and makes the experience more fun than do it! But be respectful of your environment, the next three fairways don't need to join your conversation or party. we should be trying to reach to a new generation of golfer, not shut them out. That will kill this industry faster than than blue drivers and orange pants.

During a casual round at my course I be perfectly accepted when I am golfing in my cargo shorts, basketball jersey, flip flops, and respectfully listening to Skynyrd on the bluetooth speaker at 20% volume. But if you ask me to join your three some I am more than willing to put on my polo, khakis, golf shoes and leave the blue tooth in the locker room. I just want a good round with good company.

You can play with me anytime ......  and bring your speaker......   ;)

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

You successfully lobbied to have people disqualified, presumably on more than one occasion, for playing music? I need to hear more about this. Match play is only loss of hole and stroke play would be a 2 stroke penalty assessment prior to DQ. Furthermore, I still see ambiguity in 14-3/17. To me the current writing strays into the problem of ambiguous intent. States there is no penalty for me listening to a sports broadcast between shots. But if I'm sweating a Longhorns football game and hearing score updates calms me down, that would seem to qualify as "generally assisting my play". Alternately, I could argue that listening to music only between shots as a simple music lover doesn't "generally assist my play" and doesn't merit a penalty assessment. That means I could blare my music (I don't normally listen to music either) loud as I want, mute it before making a stroke and then crank it up again, no penalty. I could maybe see a DQ under a local etiquette ruling but facilities actually enforcing those typically extend etiquette in the form of a warning prior to additional action.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan