TESTERS WANTED! ×

Music on the Course

GolfSpy Dave

... Here is the thing for many of us. We are constantly bombarded by "noise", although admittedly much of it is very pleasant noise. That said, stores have music, my car has music, grocery stores have announcements and muzac and even pumping gas there are screens with "noise" telling me the news or how to get a gas card. Fwiw, I have an audiophile sound system and sit and listen to music like a concert at least several times a week and have a 75" TV hooked up to my sound system so I am not against technology and embrace it. The neighborhood kids can hear it from our lawn. ;)  

... That said, I play golf to commune with nature and get away from the noise. I want to hear the geese, squirrels, wind, screeching hawks flying over head and anything else the serenity of nature provides. I also want to hear the silence that is so hard to come by in this techno world we live in. The golf course is one of the few places I can find that in the suburbs of Chicago and I am sure most places where golf is played. 

... So I get some of you wanna drink, have some fun and listen to music but you should not impose on those that are trying to enjoy one of the very few activities left that condone the silence of just being. You got some friends that feel the same as you and keep the music low enough so the group behind or in front can't hear you? I don't see that as a problem at all and it certainly doesn't bother me. But I have played with a 2 some that joined us and when they asked if it was OK to play music I said "No. We prefer the sounds of golf"  they acted like I just called them the worst ethnic slur. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I enjoy the piece and quiet when I am walking the course, for the most part anyways. I don't mind if someone wants to listen to music as long as it is not too loud and intrusive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I guess I'm in the minority here. I find music breaks up the quite and helps me relax. I always shoot lower scores while playing music. Golfers always amaze me when they require total silence to hit a ball that's not moving, yet a baseball player hits a ball going 100mph all while fans screaming for them swing before it gets to the plate

along with all other background noise.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Everyone has a road map to having fun on the course.

Some of us just go about it a lil different aka dressing louder than the music I play is one route to go lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Firmly in the music camp. Often times we have 3 or 4 carts all playing different music in one group. No big deal to me.

Honest question for the guys who hate music. I understand you don't like it on the course. I do like it on the course. What makes the enjoyment of your round more important than the enjoyment of my round?

Etiquette

I think the way you guys have succinctly squared off on this really cuts to the heart of the matter. From this foundation I think the MGS community can develop an outline for modern golf etiquette as it relates to the enjoyment of the greater golfing community.

First let's talk about enjoyment. I enjoy playing pristine golf courses first and foremost. Something like 25% of 18-35 year olds surveyed indicated they preferred music. So 25 year old gets scolded for musical tastes, stops both playing golf and convincing his buddies to join him once a month. The industry loses a large part of the demographic, golf courses book fewer rounds, course conditions suffer, courses eventually shut down, you only get to enjoy watching golf on TV.

I know that's an extreme example of the long game the industry is fighting but it's not an inconceivable scenario. And to those of you saying the general lowbrowing is spoiling the game, I know it hurts to hear (it hurts me too) but you (we) are not the future of the game.

Instead of collectively living through the twilight of the greatest game ever played let's establish a modern etiquette guide and hold on to the idea that we can grow the game together.

Rule 1 - Ambient noise emanating from an electronic device during stipulated play

1-1 Subject Matter: No music of a nature that could be construed as profane should ever be broadcast in a public forum regardless of the group preference due to unintended exposure and offense (women, children, etc).

1-2 Volume: The personal space you claim on a golf course extends in both directions. (i.e. If you consider a ball from another group coming to rest within 30 yards of your position a breach of etiquette so should you consider audible sound from your device outside of a 30 yard radius a breach of etiquette.

This is obviously just my opinion.

Who wants to take rule 1-3???

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

... Here is the thing for many of us. We are constantly bombarded by "noise", although admittedly much of it is very pleasant noise. That said, stores have music, my car has music, grocery stores have announcements and muzac and even pumping gas there are screens with "noise" telling me the news or how to get a gas card. Fwiw, I have an audiophile sound system and sit and listen to music like a concert at least several times a week and have a 75" TV hooked up to my sound system so I am not against technology and embrace it. The neighborhood kids can hear it from our lawn. ;)  

... That said, I play golf to commune with nature and get away from the noise. I want to hear the geese, squirrels, wind, screeching hawks flying over head and anything else the serenity of nature provides. I also want to hear the silence that is so hard to come by in this techno world we live in. The golf course is one of the few places I can find that in the suburbs of Chicago and I am sure most places where golf is played. 

... So I get some of you wanna drink, have some fun and listen to music but you should not impose on those that are trying to enjoy one of the very few activities left that condone the silence of just being. You got some friends that feel the same as you and keep the music low enough so the group behind or in front can't hear you? I don't see that as a problem at all and it certainly doesn't bother me. But I have played with a 2 some that joined us and when they asked if it was OK to play music I said "No. We prefer the sounds of golf"  they acted like I just called them the worst ethnic slur. 

THIS

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Believe it or not... I played today with a couple of younger guys. They had a BT speaker in their cart but I didn't say anything. They never played it on the tee box or near the greens. I only heard it a couple of times while they were driving the cart to their next shot. And even then it wasn't loud. Later I asked how they were stopping and starting their music. They said they muted it. !! Ha. Who would have thought? (not me I suppose) One of the guys said all he did was press a button on the speaker to mute or un-mute the sound.

As we all can see.... there are solutions and compromises.

I enjoyed playing with them as they were good players as well as respectful of others. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Believe it or not... I played today with a couple of younger guys. They had a BT speaker in their cart but I didn't say anything. They never played it on the tee box or near the greens. I only heard it a couple of times while they were driving the cart to their next shot. And even then it wasn't loud. Later I asked how they were stopping and starting their music. They said they muted it. !! Ha. Who would have thought? (not me I suppose) One of the guys said all he did was press a button on the speaker to mute or un-mute the sound.

I enjoyed playing with them as they were good players as well as respectful of others.

That's what it all boils down to - respect. Respect for the rules, respect for others, and respect for the course itself. The rules may seem long and harsh, but they do have a purpose.

Sounds like two parties sitting down at the negotiating table.

Any ideas for Rule 1-3, Intergroup Etiquette, Plaid?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I have never listened to music when playing till this year when a buddy broke out a speaker in the cart. To be honest I didn't mind it at all but it was really just loud enough to hear it when we were right up by the cart and I don't ever recall hearing it when on the tee box or taking a shot. I have since brought a little speaker with me but if I am playing with someone I don't know I usually don't break it out unless it seems like he wouldn't mind then I would ask.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Perfect size!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I played in a best ball tournament about 5 years ago with my brother in law and the group that I was in was blaring music...... drove me nuts and I played terrible.

Last season my buddy and I were playing our normal Sunday game when we were allowed to play through from some guys in early twenties blaring music.

Again played like crap trying to play through.

My 2 cents

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I broke out a little Hank Williams Jr. & Kid Rock the other day and them old bastards I play with looked at me like I had gone slap crazy....  :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I broke out a little Hank Williams Jr. & Kid Rock the other day and them old bastards I play with looked at me like I had gone slap crazy.... :D

Sounds like they needed a little "Attitude Adjustment"

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sounds like they needed a little "Attitude Adjustment"

I got ya hoss

Cleveland

Did they get on "the fightin' side" of you?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Did they get on "the fightin' side" of you?

Merle Haggard is one of my favorites!

Cleveland

Had AC/DC going on Pandora today. Barely heard it over my teeth chatting. 35 degrees with wind chill of 25. Still had a ball though.

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

For those of you who do like music and use a smartphone - specifically an iPhone - when you place it in the cup holder in your cart it amplifies the sound.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

For those of you who do like music and use a smartphone - specifically an iPhone - when you place it in the cup holder in your cart it amplifies the sound.

I Bose Soundlink Mini does the trick too.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

doesn't bother me much, unless they are playing crappy music

Taylormade M1

Titleist 816 H1

Titleist 916 AP1 4-GW

52,56,60 Vokey Wedges

64 Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedge

Ping Ketsch mid putter

Titleist deluxe cart bag

TecTecTec range finder

CaddyTek EZ-Fold 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart

Country Club Elite® Hitting Strip 10"x30"

Rukket Haack Golf Net By SEC Coach Chris Haack 10 X 7ft

It must be an old southern guy thing because I have never seen or better yet heard music being played in the groups I play with...

Maybe I need to sneak one of them boom boxes out to the course and fire that sucker up during this Tuesday's blitz

A little Hank Williams Jr. should get er done!

Ole Hank Jr. Would be pretty good. We listen to music every week, if it bothers someone we just don't use it or we just keep it really low. I always ask before turning it on. Keep it loose. My favorites are 90's country, Bob Seger. Classic rock.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Ole Hank Jr. Would be pretty good. We listen to music every week, if it bothers someone we just don't use it or we just keep it really low. I always ask before turning it on. Keep it loose. My favorites are 90's country, Bob Seger. Classic rock.

I love country music and Bob Seger is the boss....  You have excellent taste buddy!

Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

i love music. im a musician (drums), and i constantly walk around with a tune in my head..... however, on the course? no way....

Tour Edge Exotics XLD

Nickent 4DX 4 Wood

Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 3 & 4 Hybrids

Precept Tour Premium CB 5-PW

Maxfli A10 Tour Limited 5-PW

Nickent Arc Forged 50-54-58

Nickent Tour Prototype MP/03

Ogio Grom

I never listened to music before this year. I got some crappy little BT speaker as a door prize for some fundraiser tournament I went into. I only got in a couple rounds by myself before the summer was over so still on the fence but I didn't notice a difference in my score. Played it just loud enough I could hear it from my bag when I set it down to walk the 10' to my ball. Couldn't hear it while putting or on the tee box and no one I passed said anything

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I personally like to keep a Bluetooth speaker in the cart with some music playing if I'm playing alone, occasionally if I'm playing a beer drinking round with my buddies. My general rule of thumb is that if I can hear it while I'm in the fairway hitting my shot it's too loud. I don't want my personal choices to affect others on the golf course so I keep the volume reasonably low.

With that said I cannot stand when I hear music on the green (or other area of the course) I'm on from a group that's 50 yards away. If there's one observation I've noticed with this new trend of music on the course it's that the louder the music is the more obnoxious their style choice of music is.

To each his own. It's a practice I sometimes participate in but I try to be thoughtful in making sure that it affects nobody on the course but myself.