Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Removing Paint Fill

So I want to remove the black and red paint on my Vokeys but not sure if I should use acetone or maybe a needle to scrape away the paint. ANY ideas???

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

• SPY VIP

I have used acetone. There are more aggressive paint removers at the hardware store but some of them can mar the finish too.

Needle helps. Don't feel the need to get it all at once.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Ok I'll try the needle and maybe a small amount if acetone at the same time. I don't want to mar the finish of my wedges but I would like to see them with the paint. I've seen it done before and it looked good but I can't remember where I saw it.

• SPY VIP

Ok I'll try the needle and maybe a small amount if acetone at the same time. I don't want to mar the finish of my wedges but I would like to see them with the paint. I've seen it done before and it looked good but I can't remember where I saw it.

I have had some success in small areas using acetone and a q-tip. wet it and hold it there to keep the acetone from evaporating and that seems to help. test the acetone with the finish somewhere you won't see first to be sure it won't spot it or anything though. not sure what would be effected, but I always try this.

Just like they suggest for fabric cleaners. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Do you need special paint to re-fill? My Vokeys bottom numbers have lost some of the fill, I'll probably try just removing first, see what it looks like, but if I need to refill with black - what should I go for?

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

I have had some success in small areas using acetone and a q-tip. wet it and hold it there to keep the acetone from evaporating and that seems to help. test the acetone with the finish somewhere you won't see first to be sure it won't spot it or anything though. not sure what would be effected, but I always try this.

+1 Q tips and nail polish remover works well!

• SPY VIP

Do you need special paint to re-fill? My Vokeys bottom numbers have lost some of the fill, I'll probably try just removing first, see what it looks like, but if I need to refill with black - what should I go for?

Some just use Testors model paint. Obviously water based paint would be an issue.

Tamiya paints are also very popular.

Volvo Intorqueo

I've used marker pen ink refills. Just slop it on thoroughly, let dry fully, and rub off the excess with an ink eraser. Works nice on bare metal. I also tried nail polish but that was difficult to get right. You need a lot of cotton and acetone and a lot of careful very light wiping. It's a job and a half getting the excess varnish off without affcting the vanish in the grooves. I think it's better to shop for different colored ink.

Shambles

Some just use Testors model paint. Obviously water based paint would be an issue.

Tamiya paints are also very popular.

I used Acrylic paint on the custom paint fill I showed in the other thread. Then I gamed the putter in wet conditions the other day. No issue. I like going that route because its non-toxic and is easy to clean up.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

+1 Q tips and nail polish remover works well!

I didn't have much luck using nail polish remover. Not as strong as the Model Master solvent I was using. Maybe my wife buys the cheap stuff. :huh:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Solvent, then needle, and if necessary needle dipped in the solvent. For some reason, I had a heck of a time removing the paint fill from my Rife putter. But eventually got it done with a lot of patience and work.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

I used Acrylic paint on the custom paint fill I showed in the other thread. Then I gamed the putter in wet conditions the other day. No issue. I like going that route because its non-toxic and is easy to clean up.

I am interested to hear how this wears over time, especially after wet rounds. Do you wipe it down before the headcovering?

Volvo Intorqueo

I am interested to hear how this wears over time, especially after wet rounds. Do you wipe it down before the headcovering?

Always...if you don't then you're just asking for corrosion.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

OK well I started removing the paint on my 52* Vokey and it sure is time consuming. I hope to have it done by this weekend if I can find the time. Used some nail polish remover and a needel and so far so good but just a slow process.

OK well I started removing the paint on my 52* Vokey and it sure is time consuming. I hope to have it done by this weekend if I can find the time. Used some nail polish remover and a needel and so far so good but just a slow process.

It is time consuming, but still worth it in the end. I'm going to do my wedges in Arizona State maroon and gold. :angry:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Nice! I'll send you mine too.

Only if they are those CG14's you can't hit and I get to keep them. :)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

You won't bag them anyway unless you stamp PING onto them. :)

Wrong - I'll just do the old pro trick and tape up the back. Ping will never know the difference and after a few cases of beer neither will I...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 5 months later...

Tip for removing paintfill? Use Tal Strip aerosol. The paint will be gone in 2 minutes and you rinse them off and start with the new paintfill (after drying). If the head is painted, however (driver, fairway, hybrid), or has an insert, use the liquid Tal Strip and a q-tip. You can get it in the right places without having to worry about anything else being eaten away.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 3 months later...

I am going to add my 2 cents worth in here. Fingernail polish remover is acetetone anyhow so you are using the same thing as commercial acetone anyhow. where some of you are using a needle I use what is called dental picks> Most mechanics use them on o rings etc. They come in various sizes and shapes. some have a small screwdriver type handle. They are inexpensive and easier to handle than a needle. Also you can sharpen them with a file or a grinder. The same pick tool can also be used to put your paint on with. You can find these pick tools at Harbor Freight or we have stores down herecalled Workshop Tools that carry them also. I like them better than needles and have been using them for years. If you buy the more expensiveones the steel is harder and you can clean the heck out of grooves on forged irons. I would not however reccomend using them to clean grooves on softer clubs like BC Pingsetc

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived