Krismond30

Iron Technology

Our Sponsors

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a new set of irons to replace my 2004 Callaway Big Bertha Irons. My question is...Has iron technology improved that much from 2004 compared to what's out now? Is it worth the $700-$1000 for a new set or should I just save my money? You're thoughts...please?

Oh...I'm thinking of getting the Mizuno JPX-800 HD Iron set.

Thanks in advance!

Driver:  Titleist 915D2 9.5* (Set at 10.25*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Fairway:  TaylorMade Aeroburner Black 16.5* HL w/ Matrix Rul-Z 
Hybrids:  Titleist 915H 18*(Set at 19.5*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Irons:  Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi (4 Iron) w/ Graphite Design Aura Blue
            Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (5-9) w/ True Temper XP 105
Wedges:  Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (PW 45*) w/ True Temper XP 105
                 Mizuno MP-R12 (50*, 54*, 58*) w/ DG Spinner
Putter:  Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Balls:  Callaway Chrome Soft / TaylorMade Project (a)
Bag:  OGIO Chamber
Shoes:  Nike TW '15

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a new set of irons to replace my 2004 Callaway Big Bertha Irons. My question is...Has iron technology improved that much from 2004 compared to what's out now? Is it worth the $700-$1000 for a new set or should I just save my money? You're thoughts...please?

Oh...I'm thinking of getting the Mizuno JPX-800 HD Iron set.

Thanks in advance!

Has iron technology changed much since 2004? About the same as cars. A 2004 car in good condition with get you where you need to be. The Big Bertha's were a great GI iron. The JPX800 HD is a game improvement set also, but I just read up on them. You are asking if you should trade in your 2004 Toyota Corolla for a brand new 2013 Lexus and asking if the money is money well spent.

I have the MP FLI HI 4 iron and it is amazing. This set, I have never seen them and they are not meant for me, has the JPX FLI HI in the 5 and 4 irons. Totally different club but if Mizuno can make a 4 iron that looks like a 4 iron, although slightly overweight 4 iron, and preform like a hybrid, I am sure the club that looks like a hybrid will be great. I think that is a lot of money for irons but I think that those are probably worth it.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

The main benefit of buying a brand new set is to be able to customize it for length/lie/shaft without any or much upcharge. With older models, you could get a good deal, but could be hurting yourself by not playing something that fits you. Or you could modify them to fit you by either changing the length, replacing the shaft, or bending the club heads, all of which will cost money.

If money is an issue, you can get good deals from the component guys like Golfworks or Hireko. Online fittings are never perfect, but it's better than buying straight off the rack.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm leaning towards getting a new set. I just wanted to hear from my fellow spies. Oh...and I've already been fitted at my local shop, so all I need to do next is to pull the trigger and order them.

As another answer to your question, I have some Ben Hogan CFT Hybrids from 2004. I absolutely loved these clubs. I have tried several times to replace them but never found anything that really could. I sort of comprimised a year or so ago and picked up to Titleist 909H. They were still not my favorite, then I went to a steel shaft. and this solved all my issues. Then my go to Hogan hybrid failed on me. Face cracked after only 10,000 hits. Piece of crap. :D

So I bored out my Titleist so that it would fit the shaft, thinking the resell on these was so poor what did I have to lose. And these are much better than the Hogans. They are 5 years newer. You are talking about 8 years newer. So yeah, there is a big difference between 2004 and 2012. You may also find some used ones but to be honest, there is not much difference between spending $600 for a used set or $800 for a new set. At least with the new ones you get fitted and have something that will truely help you instead of something that may help you.

As another answer to your question, I have some Ben Hogan CFT Hybrids from 2004. I absolutely loved these clubs. I have tried several times to replace them but never found anything that really could. I sort of comprimised a year or so ago and picked up to Titleist 909H. They were still not my favorite, then I went to a steel shaft. and this solved all my issues. Then my go to Hogan hybrid failed on me. Face cracked after only 10,000 hits. Piece of crap. :D

So I bored out my Titleist so that it would fit the shaft, thinking the resell on these was so poor what did I have to lose. And these are much better than the Hogans. They are 5 years newer. You are talking about 8 years newer. So yeah, there is a big difference between 2004 and 2012. You may also find some used ones but to be honest, there is not much difference between spending $600 for a used set or $800 for a new set. At least with the new ones you get fitted and have something that will truely help you instead of something that may help you.

Wow! 10,000 hits and the face already cracked...talk about poor quality. :)

To really answer your question, no technology has not changed that much and in my opinion those Big Berthas are still one of, if not the best, GI irons ever made. What you are going to get is a shiny new paint job and a much sleeker look, without sacrificing any performance. AS WD said, fitting has improved miles since 2004, but you can get fit for shafts in what you already have. Just some food for thought.

I just put a Cally X-14 (circa 2000) 3i back in the bag, it is better than anything I have tried to fit in the 215-220yd range.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

When I got fitted this time around, it pretty much was the same results. This time around they gave me shaft options which Mizuno's Shaft Optimizer recommended for me. They were...True Temper DynaLite Gold XP R300(Stock), Project X 5.0 R, and the KBS Tour R. The guy at my local shop said to just stick with the stock shaft since it was made for that head or works best with that head.

If I do decide to get the a new set, should I stick with the stock shaft or go for the KBS shaft?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

When I got fitted this time around, it pretty much was the same results. This time around they gave me shaft options which Mizuno's Shaft Optimizer recommended for me. They were...True Temper DynaLite Gold XP R300(Stock), Project X 5.0 R, and the KBS Tour R. The guy at my local shop said to just stick with the stock shaft since it was made for that head or works best with that head.

If I do decide to get the a new set, should I stick with the stock shaft or go for the KBS shaft?

There should be a Mizuno cart where you can try out the different shafts and there's quite a bit of difference in feel between the shafts in that list. Personally, I love the KBS stuff.

As for the local guy, don't believe him that the "shaft was made for the head", that's total BS. They get more profit from selling off the shelf stuff, so I'm guessing he's thinking of himself, not you. If he's a pain about trying out different shafts, getting the right length and lie angle, go somewhere else.

They did have the Mizuno cart, I only tried a couple differents shafts and I know the KBS wasn't one of them. I'll go back and hit with the KBS next time. Good thing about this place is the fitting is FREE.

The guy at my local shop said to just stick with the stock shaft since it was made for that head or works best with that head.

Horse Hockey!!!! Who gives a rat's @$ what shaft was designed to work with that head. This is complete and utter BS. Get the shaft and head combination that fit your swing. It does not matter if they are Top Flights from Walmart or Mizuno's with KBS C Tapers. If you are going to bite the bullet and spend that kind of money go the whole 9 yards and get the best combo for your swing.

Just scheduled a fitting with Mizuno on their Demo/Fitting Day in Irvine at Strawberry Farms Golf Club. So, we'll see how my fitting at my local shop compares to Mizuno's fitting. I'm looking forward to it, actually I can't wait.

Solid advice on the fitting -- had my full fledged Mizuno fitting in April. Learned MUCH during the process -- best fit for me was the MP-59 with the PX 5.5 shaft - seemed to perform much better for me than anaything from DG or KBS. And that's the point of the fitting process - finding out what works be for YOU, and a good fitter will go the whole way with you.

I was lucky to work with a local pro who didn't have a retail shop, and he let me try all the shaft combinations possible, along with different brands he represented, including Ping, Nike and Callaway, so I feel very confident I got the set best suited for my game, and since he had no stock, NOTHING WAS STOCK!

Go luck and don't take no for an answer!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

They did have the Mizuno cart, I only tried a couple differents shafts and I know the KBS wasn't one of them. I'll go back and hit with the KBS next time. Good thing about this place is the fitting is FREE.

wd and I were both sold on the KBS Tour matched with the MP59 heads.

For barbajo, the PX worked better.

So you see, there is no one-size-fits-all.

I've heard KBS launching too high for some people, but for me it just works! :rolleyes:

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 9* w/ Aldila Rogue MAX 65 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black S 80
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // ShotScope V1 // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Mizuno Fitting Results:

Irons: MP-53 (Fitter said, I can go with any of the JPX irons as well)

Shaft: KBS Tour R

Length: Standard (Fitter did say you can go -1/2 inch if I wanted to since I was choking down about 1/2 inch anyway. His opinion, he didn't recommend cutting shafts due to losing distance).

Loft: Standard

Lie: Standard

I went into that fitting thinking I was going to get fitted for the JPX 800 or JPX 800 HD irons since I'm just a weekend hack. Then he had me hit the MP-53's. They felt NICE and I mean really NICE. I was surprised I hit them that well. I hit it just as well if not better than the JPX's. Now I'm undecided on which Iron heads to go with. I like to enjoy an ice-cold beverage or two or more in a round, so I'll shoot in the low 90's to sometimes hitting a 100. I know I can shoot in the 80's if I didn't drink, but I like to enjoy a beverage with my friends.

Is the MP-53 to much club for me or should I just stick with one of the JPX irons?

Again...Thanks in Advance!

Horse Hockey!!!! Who gives a rat's @$ what shaft was designed to work with that head. This is complete and utter BS. Get the shaft and head combination that fit your swing. It does not matter if they are Top Flights from Walmart or Mizuno's with KBS C Tapers. If you are going to bite the bullet and spend that kind of money go the whole 9 yards and get the best combo for your swing.

I will give you a big amen on that one Rick you took the words righ off my keyboard

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

Mizuno Fitting Results:

Length: Standard (Fitter did say you can go -1/2 inch if I wanted to since I was choking down about 1/2 inch anyway. His opinion, he didn't recommend cutting shafts due to losing distance).

I went into that fitting thinking I was going to get fitted for the JPX 800 or JPX 800 HD irons since I'm just a weekend hack. Then he had me hit the MP-53's. They felt NICE and I mean really NICE. I was surprised I hit them that well. I hit it just as well if not better than the JPX's. Now I'm undecided on which Iron heads to go with. I like to enjoy an ice-cold beverage or two or more in a round, so I'll shoot in the low 90's to sometimes hitting a 100. I know I can shoot in the 80's if I didn't drink, but I like to enjoy a beverage with my friends.

Is the MP-53 to much club for me or should I just stick with one of the JPX irons?

Again...Thanks in Advance!

My advice -- after going with what feels most comfortable for you, is if you feel as though you want to be an 80's shooter would be to go with the clubs you can grow into. I bought a set of MP-59's earlier this year - and there have been rounds where I started to think they were too much club for me, but with some work, patience and lessons I'm working my way into them, and couldn't be happier.

Both are fine sets and it doesn't seem as though you could make the "wrong" decision with what you're considering. Good luck, and post pix of what you wind up buying!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Mizuno Fitting Results:

I think MP-53 is a great selection personally.

You and I have very different swing speeds if you recommended shaft was a Reg Flex. However, I still have a theory regardless of swing speed that a longer shaft will only be longer in distance regardless of the club IF AND ONLY IF you can still hit very great contact in both lengths. By this I mean I hit the same distance at a 44.50" driver as I will a 45.00" driver because I hit the 44.50" driver more in the sweat spot of the club and have better control over the club. I also play a 38.75" 3iron with 1/2" steps down the set to a 35.25" PW, I play all my wedges to 35.25" which is also different then stock. I am in the strong opinion that the length of a club is what you are conferable playing to make great contact and have control over your shots as much as possible.

Only thing you would have to worry about for the shorter shafts is the swing weight, I cut my driver shaft from 45.00" to 44.50" so I had to add 4g of weight to the head to have the same feel of swing weight. I have two little 2g squares on the bottom of the head now, one out towards the tow and one out towards the heel at the exact same length from the face so they counter act each other. Here is what I am using very easy to apply and remove as needed --> http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0054

KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" (2" Bore Depth) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 Stiff

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")

Srixon Z U45 19.0* @ 39.75" w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 MB 3-P @ 38.75" - 35.25" (0.25" under), 60.5* - 64.0* (0.5* upright), 22* - 48* (1* weak) w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 54-12 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 60-10 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Lamkin UTX Wrap, Including Grip Core: 1/32 over (top hand), 1/16 over (bottom hand)

Srixon Z-Star

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

My advice -- after going with what feels most comfortable for you, is if you feel as though you want to be an 80's shooter would be to go with the clubs you can grow into. I bought a set of MP-59's earlier this year - and there have been rounds where I started to think they were too much club for me, but with some work, patience and lessons I'm working my way into them, and couldn't be happier.

Both are fine sets and it doesn't seem as though you could make the "wrong" decision with what you're considering. Good luck, and post pix of what you wind up buying!

I'm more of the opinion that one should grow out of a set rather than growing into one.

Shambles

I'm more of the opinion that one should grow out of a set rather than growing into one.

Shambles

Tomato, Tomahto...

Wanted out of my G-15's, liked the MP-59's -- at least I know when I don't put a good swing on it. As others have said - it keeps ye honest :D

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo