TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron Technology

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a new set of irons to replace my 2004 Callaway Big Bertha Irons. My question is...Has iron technology improved that much from 2004 compared to what's out now? Is it worth the $700-$1000 for a new set or should I just save my money? You're thoughts...please?

Oh...I'm thinking of getting the Mizuno JPX-800 HD Iron set.

Thanks in advance!

Driver:  Titleist 915D2 9.5* (Set at 10.25*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Fairway:  TaylorMade Aeroburner Black 16.5* HL w/ Matrix Rul-Z 
Hybrids:  Titleist 915H 18*(Set at 19.5*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Irons:  Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi (4 Iron) w/ Graphite Design Aura Blue
            Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (5-9) w/ True Temper XP 105
Wedges:  Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (PW 45*) w/ True Temper XP 105
                 Mizuno MP-R12 (50*, 54*, 58*) w/ DG Spinner
Putter:  Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Balls:  Callaway Chrome Soft / TaylorMade Project (a)
Bag:  OGIO Chamber
Shoes:  Nike TW '15

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a new set of irons to replace my 2004 Callaway Big Bertha Irons. My question is...Has iron technology improved that much from 2004 compared to what's out now? Is it worth the $700-$1000 for a new set or should I just save my money? You're thoughts...please?

Oh...I'm thinking of getting the Mizuno JPX-800 HD Iron set.

Thanks in advance!

Has iron technology changed much since 2004? About the same as cars. A 2004 car in good condition with get you where you need to be. The Big Bertha's were a great GI iron. The JPX800 HD is a game improvement set also, but I just read up on them. You are asking if you should trade in your 2004 Toyota Corolla for a brand new 2013 Lexus and asking if the money is money well spent.

I have the MP FLI HI 4 iron and it is amazing. This set, I have never seen them and they are not meant for me, has the JPX FLI HI in the 5 and 4 irons. Totally different club but if Mizuno can make a 4 iron that looks like a 4 iron, although slightly overweight 4 iron, and preform like a hybrid, I am sure the club that looks like a hybrid will be great. I think that is a lot of money for irons but I think that those are probably worth it.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

The main benefit of buying a brand new set is to be able to customize it for length/lie/shaft without any or much upcharge. With older models, you could get a good deal, but could be hurting yourself by not playing something that fits you. Or you could modify them to fit you by either changing the length, replacing the shaft, or bending the club heads, all of which will cost money.

If money is an issue, you can get good deals from the component guys like Golfworks or Hireko. Online fittings are never perfect, but it's better than buying straight off the rack.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm leaning towards getting a new set. I just wanted to hear from my fellow spies. Oh...and I've already been fitted at my local shop, so all I need to do next is to pull the trigger and order them.

As another answer to your question, I have some Ben Hogan CFT Hybrids from 2004. I absolutely loved these clubs. I have tried several times to replace them but never found anything that really could. I sort of comprimised a year or so ago and picked up to Titleist 909H. They were still not my favorite, then I went to a steel shaft. and this solved all my issues. Then my go to Hogan hybrid failed on me. Face cracked after only 10,000 hits. Piece of crap. :D

So I bored out my Titleist so that it would fit the shaft, thinking the resell on these was so poor what did I have to lose. And these are much better than the Hogans. They are 5 years newer. You are talking about 8 years newer. So yeah, there is a big difference between 2004 and 2012. You may also find some used ones but to be honest, there is not much difference between spending $600 for a used set or $800 for a new set. At least with the new ones you get fitted and have something that will truely help you instead of something that may help you.

As another answer to your question, I have some Ben Hogan CFT Hybrids from 2004. I absolutely loved these clubs. I have tried several times to replace them but never found anything that really could. I sort of comprimised a year or so ago and picked up to Titleist 909H. They were still not my favorite, then I went to a steel shaft. and this solved all my issues. Then my go to Hogan hybrid failed on me. Face cracked after only 10,000 hits. Piece of crap. :D

So I bored out my Titleist so that it would fit the shaft, thinking the resell on these was so poor what did I have to lose. And these are much better than the Hogans. They are 5 years newer. You are talking about 8 years newer. So yeah, there is a big difference between 2004 and 2012. You may also find some used ones but to be honest, there is not much difference between spending $600 for a used set or $800 for a new set. At least with the new ones you get fitted and have something that will truely help you instead of something that may help you.

Wow! 10,000 hits and the face already cracked...talk about poor quality. :)

To really answer your question, no technology has not changed that much and in my opinion those Big Berthas are still one of, if not the best, GI irons ever made. What you are going to get is a shiny new paint job and a much sleeker look, without sacrificing any performance. AS WD said, fitting has improved miles since 2004, but you can get fit for shafts in what you already have. Just some food for thought.

I just put a Cally X-14 (circa 2000) 3i back in the bag, it is better than anything I have tried to fit in the 215-220yd range.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

When I got fitted this time around, it pretty much was the same results. This time around they gave me shaft options which Mizuno's Shaft Optimizer recommended for me. They were...True Temper DynaLite Gold XP R300(Stock), Project X 5.0 R, and the KBS Tour R. The guy at my local shop said to just stick with the stock shaft since it was made for that head or works best with that head.

If I do decide to get the a new set, should I stick with the stock shaft or go for the KBS shaft?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

When I got fitted this time around, it pretty much was the same results. This time around they gave me shaft options which Mizuno's Shaft Optimizer recommended for me. They were...True Temper DynaLite Gold XP R300(Stock), Project X 5.0 R, and the KBS Tour R. The guy at my local shop said to just stick with the stock shaft since it was made for that head or works best with that head.

If I do decide to get the a new set, should I stick with the stock shaft or go for the KBS shaft?

There should be a Mizuno cart where you can try out the different shafts and there's quite a bit of difference in feel between the shafts in that list. Personally, I love the KBS stuff.

As for the local guy, don't believe him that the "shaft was made for the head", that's total BS. They get more profit from selling off the shelf stuff, so I'm guessing he's thinking of himself, not you. If he's a pain about trying out different shafts, getting the right length and lie angle, go somewhere else.

They did have the Mizuno cart, I only tried a couple differents shafts and I know the KBS wasn't one of them. I'll go back and hit with the KBS next time. Good thing about this place is the fitting is FREE.

The guy at my local shop said to just stick with the stock shaft since it was made for that head or works best with that head.

Horse Hockey!!!! Who gives a rat's @$ what shaft was designed to work with that head. This is complete and utter BS. Get the shaft and head combination that fit your swing. It does not matter if they are Top Flights from Walmart or Mizuno's with KBS C Tapers. If you are going to bite the bullet and spend that kind of money go the whole 9 yards and get the best combo for your swing.

Just scheduled a fitting with Mizuno on their Demo/Fitting Day in Irvine at Strawberry Farms Golf Club. So, we'll see how my fitting at my local shop compares to Mizuno's fitting. I'm looking forward to it, actually I can't wait.

Solid advice on the fitting -- had my full fledged Mizuno fitting in April. Learned MUCH during the process -- best fit for me was the MP-59 with the PX 5.5 shaft - seemed to perform much better for me than anaything from DG or KBS. And that's the point of the fitting process - finding out what works be for YOU, and a good fitter will go the whole way with you.

I was lucky to work with a local pro who didn't have a retail shop, and he let me try all the shaft combinations possible, along with different brands he represented, including Ping, Nike and Callaway, so I feel very confident I got the set best suited for my game, and since he had no stock, NOTHING WAS STOCK!

Go luck and don't take no for an answer!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

They did have the Mizuno cart, I only tried a couple differents shafts and I know the KBS wasn't one of them. I'll go back and hit with the KBS next time. Good thing about this place is the fitting is FREE.

wd and I were both sold on the KBS Tour matched with the MP59 heads.

For barbajo, the PX worked better.

So you see, there is no one-size-fits-all.

I've heard KBS launching too high for some people, but for me it just works! :rolleyes:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 2 weeks later...

Mizuno Fitting Results:

Irons: MP-53 (Fitter said, I can go with any of the JPX irons as well)

Shaft: KBS Tour R

Length: Standard (Fitter did say you can go -1/2 inch if I wanted to since I was choking down about 1/2 inch anyway. His opinion, he didn't recommend cutting shafts due to losing distance).

Loft: Standard

Lie: Standard

I went into that fitting thinking I was going to get fitted for the JPX 800 or JPX 800 HD irons since I'm just a weekend hack. Then he had me hit the MP-53's. They felt NICE and I mean really NICE. I was surprised I hit them that well. I hit it just as well if not better than the JPX's. Now I'm undecided on which Iron heads to go with. I like to enjoy an ice-cold beverage or two or more in a round, so I'll shoot in the low 90's to sometimes hitting a 100. I know I can shoot in the 80's if I didn't drink, but I like to enjoy a beverage with my friends.

Is the MP-53 to much club for me or should I just stick with one of the JPX irons?

Again...Thanks in Advance!

Horse Hockey!!!! Who gives a rat's @$ what shaft was designed to work with that head. This is complete and utter BS. Get the shaft and head combination that fit your swing. It does not matter if they are Top Flights from Walmart or Mizuno's with KBS C Tapers. If you are going to bite the bullet and spend that kind of money go the whole 9 yards and get the best combo for your swing.

I will give you a big amen on that one Rick you took the words righ off my keyboard

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Mizuno Fitting Results:

Length: Standard (Fitter did say you can go -1/2 inch if I wanted to since I was choking down about 1/2 inch anyway. His opinion, he didn't recommend cutting shafts due to losing distance).

I went into that fitting thinking I was going to get fitted for the JPX 800 or JPX 800 HD irons since I'm just a weekend hack. Then he had me hit the MP-53's. They felt NICE and I mean really NICE. I was surprised I hit them that well. I hit it just as well if not better than the JPX's. Now I'm undecided on which Iron heads to go with. I like to enjoy an ice-cold beverage or two or more in a round, so I'll shoot in the low 90's to sometimes hitting a 100. I know I can shoot in the 80's if I didn't drink, but I like to enjoy a beverage with my friends.

Is the MP-53 to much club for me or should I just stick with one of the JPX irons?

Again...Thanks in Advance!

My advice -- after going with what feels most comfortable for you, is if you feel as though you want to be an 80's shooter would be to go with the clubs you can grow into. I bought a set of MP-59's earlier this year - and there have been rounds where I started to think they were too much club for me, but with some work, patience and lessons I'm working my way into them, and couldn't be happier.

Both are fine sets and it doesn't seem as though you could make the "wrong" decision with what you're considering. Good luck, and post pix of what you wind up buying!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Mizuno Fitting Results:

I think MP-53 is a great selection personally.

You and I have very different swing speeds if you recommended shaft was a Reg Flex. However, I still have a theory regardless of swing speed that a longer shaft will only be longer in distance regardless of the club IF AND ONLY IF you can still hit very great contact in both lengths. By this I mean I hit the same distance at a 44.50" driver as I will a 45.00" driver because I hit the 44.50" driver more in the sweat spot of the club and have better control over the club. I also play a 38.75" 3iron with 1/2" steps down the set to a 35.25" PW, I play all my wedges to 35.25" which is also different then stock. I am in the strong opinion that the length of a club is what you are conferable playing to make great contact and have control over your shots as much as possible.

Only thing you would have to worry about for the shorter shafts is the swing weight, I cut my driver shaft from 45.00" to 44.50" so I had to add 4g of weight to the head to have the same feel of swing weight. I have two little 2g squares on the bottom of the head now, one out towards the tow and one out towards the heel at the exact same length from the face so they counter act each other. Here is what I am using very easy to apply and remove as needed --> http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0054

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

My advice -- after going with what feels most comfortable for you, is if you feel as though you want to be an 80's shooter would be to go with the clubs you can grow into. I bought a set of MP-59's earlier this year - and there have been rounds where I started to think they were too much club for me, but with some work, patience and lessons I'm working my way into them, and couldn't be happier.

Both are fine sets and it doesn't seem as though you could make the "wrong" decision with what you're considering. Good luck, and post pix of what you wind up buying!

I'm more of the opinion that one should grow out of a set rather than growing into one.

Shambles

I'm more of the opinion that one should grow out of a set rather than growing into one.

Shambles

Tomato, Tomahto...

Wanted out of my G-15's, liked the MP-59's -- at least I know when I don't put a good swing on it. As others have said - it keeps ye honest :D

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Tomato, Tomahto...

Wanted out of my G-15's, liked the MP-59's -- at least I know when I don't put a good swing on it. As others have said - it keeps ye honest :D

Not that simple.

Change for the sake of change is fun as long as you can afford it. However, when you are intent on making a score, familiar clubs are the better choice. Skill and performance comes from the player, not the club. The club design can make some aspects of the swing easier or more comfortable but that can only be appreciated when you already have the swing and can make an intelligent choice and can feel the difference. It's not magic.

Shambles

Not that simple.

Change for the sake of change is fun as long as you can afford it. However, when you are intent on making a score, familiar clubs are the better choice. Skill and performance comes from the player, not the club. The club design can make some aspects of the swing easier or more comfortable but that can only be appreciated when you already have the swing and can make an intelligent choice and can feel the difference. It's not magic.

Shambles

Couldn't agree more. I play with a friend who games almost an entire set of hybrids. He kicks my ass on a frequent basis. The objective is to put the little white ball in the hole. You don't get style points on your card for playing blades. The game is hard enough. IMHO, "growing into a set" that you're struggling to score with and costing strokes in the process is not playing smart golf.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Couldn't agree more. I play with a friend who games almost an entire set of hybrids. He kicks my ass on a frequent basis. The objective is to put the little white ball in the hole. You don't get style points on your card for playing blades. The game is hard enough. IMHO, "growing into a set" that you're struggling to score with and costing strokes in the process is not playing smart golf.

Will respectfully agree and disagree - let's call it potato-potahato...

For me the jump from G-15's to MP-59's - with a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons in the middle -- has been a fun challenge. Enjoying the clubs very much and my swing -and entire game - is improving with work and practice. I wouldn't call it a "struggle." It's not like I was nailing everything in sight with the G-15's and not hitting a thing with the MP-59's. The objective may be to get the little white ball in the hole - but for me it's also to have as much fun as possible while doing it - and the challenge of the game is a huge part of having fun. :D

Can't speak for anyone else - although I think anyone who plays the game should use whatever clubs make them happy. If a 20 handicapper likes playing with blades, it's his business. If a scratch golfer has fun with K-15's, go get 'em!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Will respectfully agree and disagree - let's call it potato-potahato...

For me the jump from G-15's to MP-59's - with a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons in the middle -- has been a fun challenge. Enjoying the clubs very much and my swing -and entire game - is improving with work and practice. I wouldn't call it a "struggle." It's not like I was nailing everything in sight with the G-15's and not hitting a thing with the MP-59's. The objective may be to get the little white ball in the hole - but for me it's also to have as much fun as possible while doing it - and the challenge of the game is a huge part of having fun. :D

Can't speak for anyone else - although I think anyone who plays the game should use whatever clubs make them happy. If a 20 handicapper likes playing with blades, it's his business. If a scratch golfer has fun with K-15's, go get 'em!

You're right - it's a free country. Nobody is going to tell anyone what equipment they have to play (unless of course you're a pro under contract to an OEM and even then it's a negotiation). I just get concerned when inexperienced golfers or young players come onto this forum, read this stuff, and think it's generally a good idea. I think golf is such a hard game that many that try it ultimately get frustrated and quit which in the end hurts the sport and impacts all of us. That's where I am coming from on this topic.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I have a very simply theory on this topic that most people don't like - use the easiest club to hit that you can possibly find - I well recall one of the golf publications doing a test on players vs. game improvement vs. super game improvement irons - the testers included club pros through higher handicappers - no one hit the players clubs as well as they did the game improvement or super game improvement clubs. No one not the club pros, not the lower single digit guys, no one.

There's another benefit to playing game improvement or super game improvement clubs you don't have to spend two weeks after not having played for a while recapturing your swing before you can hit good shots.

Of course you're free to do whatever you want but why make a difficult game more difficult?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You're right - it's a free country. Nobody is going to tell anyone what equipment they have to play (unless of course you're a pro under contract to an OEM and even then it's a negotiation). I just get concerned when inexperienced golfers or young players come onto this forum, read this stuff, and think it's generally a good idea. I think golf is such a hard game that many that try it ultimately get frustrated and quit which in the end hurts the sport and impacts all of us. That's where I am coming from on this topic.

Excellent points Addicted -- I think our common ground here is that no matter what you choose to play, it should be an informed decision - what do you want from the game, how much work, time and money are you willing to invest, what's your idea of fun and what equipment will help you get there? And so much of this freakin' game is mental that you really need to like what you're holding in your hands.

Case in point - was on the 16th hole yesterday..in the left rough with a blind shot to the green, about 150 out. Would have normally hit a 7 iron, but since I've been really nailing the ball lately, was worried that I might go over the green, which is TROUBLE. Wound up hitting an 8, figuring I'd be a tad short but in better position. Hit the sucker pure - landed about 10' above the hole. A few weeks ago I couldn't have done that.

Peace brothers!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thank you for all your responses. All of you have great points.

So still undecided on what head to pair up with the KBS Tour shaft that was fitted for me at the Mizuno fitting. I went back to my local shop and hit the 3 heads I was hitting well at the fitting...MP-53, JPX-800 and JPX-800 HD. I hit each one with the KBS Tour shaft R-flex, 6-Irons.

The JPX-800 HD was very nice. It did what it's suppose to do, it launched high and added distance. But not to much more distance because it launched to high. As far as looks go, I think it's to similar to my current SGI irons (2004 Big Bertha's). It's definitely longer than my BB's.

The JPX-800 is also very good looking club. I hit this club the farthest with the (6-Iron). It still launched high, but not as high as the JPX 800 HD's. The lower launch added some distance. I was hitting these just as accurate as the HD's. I also like how the top-line was thinner than the HD's, didn't look bulky. As far as game improvement irons go. I think the 800's are a step up from my Big Bertha's.

Then I hit the MP-53. These clubs are beautiful. Nice clean lines. No flashy colors. I hit these pretty well at the Mizuno fitting. Distance was good, but not as far as the JPX-800's. I wasn't as accurate either, but that's my swing's fault. The FEELING of this club was Great. If I was a low-handicapper I would pull the trigger on these in a heart beat, but my swing isn't consistent enough for these clubs, yet.

So my final decision:

I started searching for New Irons so I can get added distance without sacrificing accuracy. Plus, I wanted to get a real fitting with all the new technology in fitting. Not like how I was fitted for my Big Bertha's by hitting on a lie board.

The new set I'll be ordering next week will be...

JPX-800's (4-G) with KBS Tour R shafts. Which were the clubs that I was looking at the first place.

I got to say, It was fun searching for new irons. Hitting several brands, getting fitted and just going to the golf shop hitting golf balls was fun. I felt like a little kid again.

Thanks again everyone!

Excellent points Addicted -- I think our common ground here is that no matter what you choose to play, it should be an informed decision - what do you want from the game, how much work, time and money are you willing to invest, what's your idea of fun and what equipment will help you get there? And so much of this freakin' game is mental that you really need to like what you're holding in your hands.

Yep, agreed. Well said.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

"And so much of this freakin' game is mental" Boy did you get that right. When I started to read your story I was figuring that you drilled the 8 over the green. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

"And so much of this freakin' game is mental" Boy did you get that right. When I started to read your story I was figuring that you drilled the 8 over the green. :)

Rev - was figuring I'd be at best on the front fringe - but put the best swing of the day on it - landed pin high and stopped 10' beyond. I hopped, skipped and giggled my way to the green - just as I'm sure Hogan would have. My playing partners were a tad uncomfortable...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived