Krismond30

Iron Technology

Our Sponsors

Tomato, Tomahto...

Wanted out of my G-15's, liked the MP-59's -- at least I know when I don't put a good swing on it. As others have said - it keeps ye honest :D

Not that simple.

Change for the sake of change is fun as long as you can afford it. However, when you are intent on making a score, familiar clubs are the better choice. Skill and performance comes from the player, not the club. The club design can make some aspects of the swing easier or more comfortable but that can only be appreciated when you already have the swing and can make an intelligent choice and can feel the difference. It's not magic.

Shambles

Not that simple.

Change for the sake of change is fun as long as you can afford it. However, when you are intent on making a score, familiar clubs are the better choice. Skill and performance comes from the player, not the club. The club design can make some aspects of the swing easier or more comfortable but that can only be appreciated when you already have the swing and can make an intelligent choice and can feel the difference. It's not magic.

Shambles

Couldn't agree more. I play with a friend who games almost an entire set of hybrids. He kicks my ass on a frequent basis. The objective is to put the little white ball in the hole. You don't get style points on your card for playing blades. The game is hard enough. IMHO, "growing into a set" that you're struggling to score with and costing strokes in the process is not playing smart golf.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Couldn't agree more. I play with a friend who games almost an entire set of hybrids. He kicks my ass on a frequent basis. The objective is to put the little white ball in the hole. You don't get style points on your card for playing blades. The game is hard enough. IMHO, "growing into a set" that you're struggling to score with and costing strokes in the process is not playing smart golf.

Will respectfully agree and disagree - let's call it potato-potahato...

For me the jump from G-15's to MP-59's - with a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons in the middle -- has been a fun challenge. Enjoying the clubs very much and my swing -and entire game - is improving with work and practice. I wouldn't call it a "struggle." It's not like I was nailing everything in sight with the G-15's and not hitting a thing with the MP-59's. The objective may be to get the little white ball in the hole - but for me it's also to have as much fun as possible while doing it - and the challenge of the game is a huge part of having fun. :D

Can't speak for anyone else - although I think anyone who plays the game should use whatever clubs make them happy. If a 20 handicapper likes playing with blades, it's his business. If a scratch golfer has fun with K-15's, go get 'em!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Will respectfully agree and disagree - let's call it potato-potahato...

For me the jump from G-15's to MP-59's - with a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons in the middle -- has been a fun challenge. Enjoying the clubs very much and my swing -and entire game - is improving with work and practice. I wouldn't call it a "struggle." It's not like I was nailing everything in sight with the G-15's and not hitting a thing with the MP-59's. The objective may be to get the little white ball in the hole - but for me it's also to have as much fun as possible while doing it - and the challenge of the game is a huge part of having fun. :D

Can't speak for anyone else - although I think anyone who plays the game should use whatever clubs make them happy. If a 20 handicapper likes playing with blades, it's his business. If a scratch golfer has fun with K-15's, go get 'em!

You're right - it's a free country. Nobody is going to tell anyone what equipment they have to play (unless of course you're a pro under contract to an OEM and even then it's a negotiation). I just get concerned when inexperienced golfers or young players come onto this forum, read this stuff, and think it's generally a good idea. I think golf is such a hard game that many that try it ultimately get frustrated and quit which in the end hurts the sport and impacts all of us. That's where I am coming from on this topic.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I have a very simply theory on this topic that most people don't like - use the easiest club to hit that you can possibly find - I well recall one of the golf publications doing a test on players vs. game improvement vs. super game improvement irons - the testers included club pros through higher handicappers - no one hit the players clubs as well as they did the game improvement or super game improvement clubs. No one not the club pros, not the lower single digit guys, no one.

There's another benefit to playing game improvement or super game improvement clubs you don't have to spend two weeks after not having played for a while recapturing your swing before you can hit good shots.

Of course you're free to do whatever you want but why make a difficult game more difficult?

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

You're right - it's a free country. Nobody is going to tell anyone what equipment they have to play (unless of course you're a pro under contract to an OEM and even then it's a negotiation). I just get concerned when inexperienced golfers or young players come onto this forum, read this stuff, and think it's generally a good idea. I think golf is such a hard game that many that try it ultimately get frustrated and quit which in the end hurts the sport and impacts all of us. That's where I am coming from on this topic.

Excellent points Addicted -- I think our common ground here is that no matter what you choose to play, it should be an informed decision - what do you want from the game, how much work, time and money are you willing to invest, what's your idea of fun and what equipment will help you get there? And so much of this freakin' game is mental that you really need to like what you're holding in your hands.

Case in point - was on the 16th hole yesterday..in the left rough with a blind shot to the green, about 150 out. Would have normally hit a 7 iron, but since I've been really nailing the ball lately, was worried that I might go over the green, which is TROUBLE. Wound up hitting an 8, figuring I'd be a tad short but in better position. Hit the sucker pure - landed about 10' above the hole. A few weeks ago I couldn't have done that.

Peace brothers!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thank you for all your responses. All of you have great points.

So still undecided on what head to pair up with the KBS Tour shaft that was fitted for me at the Mizuno fitting. I went back to my local shop and hit the 3 heads I was hitting well at the fitting...MP-53, JPX-800 and JPX-800 HD. I hit each one with the KBS Tour shaft R-flex, 6-Irons.

The JPX-800 HD was very nice. It did what it's suppose to do, it launched high and added distance. But not to much more distance because it launched to high. As far as looks go, I think it's to similar to my current SGI irons (2004 Big Bertha's). It's definitely longer than my BB's.

The JPX-800 is also very good looking club. I hit this club the farthest with the (6-Iron). It still launched high, but not as high as the JPX 800 HD's. The lower launch added some distance. I was hitting these just as accurate as the HD's. I also like how the top-line was thinner than the HD's, didn't look bulky. As far as game improvement irons go. I think the 800's are a step up from my Big Bertha's.

Then I hit the MP-53. These clubs are beautiful. Nice clean lines. No flashy colors. I hit these pretty well at the Mizuno fitting. Distance was good, but not as far as the JPX-800's. I wasn't as accurate either, but that's my swing's fault. The FEELING of this club was Great. If I was a low-handicapper I would pull the trigger on these in a heart beat, but my swing isn't consistent enough for these clubs, yet.

So my final decision:

I started searching for New Irons so I can get added distance without sacrificing accuracy. Plus, I wanted to get a real fitting with all the new technology in fitting. Not like how I was fitted for my Big Bertha's by hitting on a lie board.

The new set I'll be ordering next week will be...

JPX-800's (4-G) with KBS Tour R shafts. Which were the clubs that I was looking at the first place.

I got to say, It was fun searching for new irons. Hitting several brands, getting fitted and just going to the golf shop hitting golf balls was fun. I felt like a little kid again.

Thanks again everyone!

Driver:  Titleist 915D2 9.5* (Set at 10.25*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Fairway:  TaylorMade Aeroburner Black 16.5* HL w/ Matrix Rul-Z 
Hybrids:  Titleist 915H 18*(Set at 19.5*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Irons:  Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi (4 Iron) w/ Graphite Design Aura Blue
            Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (5-9) w/ True Temper XP 105
Wedges:  Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (PW 45*) w/ True Temper XP 105
                 Mizuno MP-R12 (50*, 54*, 58*) w/ DG Spinner
Putter:  Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Balls:  Callaway Chrome Soft / TaylorMade Project (a)
Bag:  OGIO Chamber
Shoes:  Nike TW '15

Excellent points Addicted -- I think our common ground here is that no matter what you choose to play, it should be an informed decision - what do you want from the game, how much work, time and money are you willing to invest, what's your idea of fun and what equipment will help you get there? And so much of this freakin' game is mental that you really need to like what you're holding in your hands.

Yep, agreed. Well said.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

"And so much of this freakin' game is mental" Boy did you get that right. When I started to read your story I was figuring that you drilled the 8 over the green. :)

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

"And so much of this freakin' game is mental" Boy did you get that right. When I started to read your story I was figuring that you drilled the 8 over the green. :)

Rev - was figuring I'd be at best on the front fringe - but put the best swing of the day on it - landed pin high and stopped 10' beyond. I hopped, skipped and giggled my way to the green - just as I'm sure Hogan would have. My playing partners were a tad uncomfortable...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The new set I'll be ordering next week will be...

JPX-800's (4-G) with KBS Tour R shafts. Which were the clubs that I was looking at the first place.

I got to say, It was fun searching for new irons. Hitting several brands, getting fitted and just going to the golf shop hitting golf balls was fun. I felt like a little kid again.

Thanks again everyone!

Gotta love that feeling. There's nothing better than pulling a club out of your bag that you know is the best fit, and all there's left to blame is your swing :D.

Enjoy the sticks!

Actually I'm starting to hate my fitter - I'm running out of excuses.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Krismond, excellent choice...Enjoy the stix...Have a great season......

Fairways & Greens 4ever......

Thanks R.P. Jacobs. I can't wait to get them.

Hey everyone. Here some pics of my new Mizuno JPX-800 Irons, MP-R12 Wedges and JPX-Fli-Hi Hybrid (FREE with purchase of irons).

Again, thank you all for all your inputs. I also posted more pics in the WIYB (What's in your Bag) forum under... WITB: Krismond30

Play well!

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

Love the clubs - hate the grips - I'm a lamkin guy - don't like the pseudo leather look but...... that's me.

The sticks look beautiful!!!!!!!

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Love the clubs - hate the grips - I'm a lamkin guy - don't like the pseudo leather look but...... that's me.

The sticks look beautiful!!!!!!!

I have to disagree on the grips. I actually love the tour wrap grips. If find they last so much longer than the tour velvets and do not get near as dirty. But Krismond does have some good looking sticks.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a new set of irons to replace my 2004 Callaway Big Bertha Irons. My question is...Has iron technology improved that much from 2004 compared to what's out now? Is it worth the $700-$1000 for a new set or should I just save my money? You're thoughts...please?

Oh...I'm thinking of getting the Mizuno JPX-800 HD Iron set.

Thanks in advance!

Im not so convinced that iron head technology has improved that much but Id say that shaft technology has improved. Just look at how jacked up lofts of irons are nowdays and you are still able to get plenty of launch height.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Titleist 913FD 13.5* 3-wood

Hybrid: Titleist 915HD 3H 

Irons: Titleist DCI 822 OS 6, 8 and PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 56*

Putter: Titleist Bullseye Standard

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Man those look sharp!

Any dents yet ;)

In my bag, August 2019
:mizuno-small: JPX900 Driver Kuro Kage Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small: JPX900 Fairway  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  850 Forged 4-PW; KBS Tour (Stiff Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:nike-small: Method Core

:titelist-small:  ProV1X Balls
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 3.5 Push Cart

HDCP 8.9

Thanks guys! I'm loving these clubs.

Wasn't sure if I was going to like the grips because how shiny/glossy looking they are, but I love the feel and tackiness.

BK: No dents...yet. :)