TESTERS WANTED! ×

(THE LAST STRAW) - EMAIL FROM FORUM MEMBER

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

I got an email from a MyGolfSpy reader and forum member this morning that honestly about made me shoot through my office roof with frustration. Yet, I held on to my desk to resist the afterburners coming out of my ears which would have allowed me to enter outer space.

I then sat back took a deep breath and said to myself, seriously...no seriously...what the hell is wrong with some people. Do they not think before they make such statements. I know we are all guilty of sometimes not thinking some thoughts through and letting down our common sense filter. But I guess when you have the amount of readers we do now, you are going to get some of these. And trust me we do.

Nevertheless I wanted to share this with everyone because I think it might need explaining ONE MORE time.

I will leave the members name out of this post, although if you feel like responding please feel free.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HERE IS THE EMAIL FROM THE MEMBER:

Sorry... but now I feel having True Temper as a sponsor has compromised you. I might participate on facebook, but not on the forum. Really... if you're going to let True Temper (as well as Grafalloy and Project X) be a sponsor, what's to stop you from letting TMag, Nike, or someone else sponsor you? Real nice...

I know you have the right to run your site as you see fit, but bringing True Temper and KBS on as sponsors? Really? What's next... TMaG and Nike? Thanks, but no thanks.

MY RESPONSE:

Where do I even start? First of all we do not accept advertising dollars from "Large OEM's" to avoid it compromising our golf club review process. End of story. Do we have to do this? NO. Am I the only guy in the golf industry who is doing this? YES.

I didn't start this business for the same reason most others start businesses (money). I did this for the consumers and because it is something I am passionate about. I wanted to flip the industry upside down and start to shed light on products that deserve it, no matter how big or small that company was. Currently I have turned down over $250,000 in annual salary from large OEM advertising proposals. And I am sure that number would be much larger if they didn't know we didn't accept it. And if you compare that to my annual salary which before this year put me in a category where I could legally apply for food stamps you might understand a little better that I am not in this for just the money grab. So your whole "you have been compromised" statement might not have been so well thought out.

If you were to ask anyone that knows me in my personal life I am the LAST person to give myself a pat on the back for what has become MyGolfSpy, when I start something I expect to have it succeed (so no cookies needed). But I will say I am proud of the fact that up to this point I have built this site with my own money and no need from the golf companies. And I hope it will always continue to be that way.

Accepting a site sponsorship from a shaft company will in NO way effect our golf club review process. No different than having a golf retail store being a sponsor would. I speak my mind pretty damn freely and I have paid the price for doing so, and yet still continue speaking my mind about the good the bad and the ugly going on in the industry.

So where would you draw the line with sponsorships? Do you want MyGolfSpy to be able to continue to exist? Or do you think we should work for free? Because if that is the case, and you don't think what we are doing is a good thing for this industry, please let me know. I would be happy to put it up for sale and let one of the other golf publications take it over. And see how quickly they take the money grab from Large OEM's that have wanted to get their brands on this site. And see how fast it becomes a place where not only our voices aren't allowed to be spoken but more importantly your voices will never be heard.

Seriously I have fielded enough of these emails to almost want me to get out of this business altogether. So either think with your head before you press the "send" button or realize we are doing everything we possibly can to keep this place as virgin as possible without not being able to exist at all.

X

And feel free to post your feelings on my response (emailer) I would be more than happy to respond.

#TruthDigest

Great post X

Having had a chance to gain an "inside" glimpse into all of this, I have only gained more respect for your standpoint with the OEMs and choosing not to take their advertising dollars.

There's just not another site out there like this, and I think this email goes to show that our readers truly see and care that what we're doing is different, and allows us to be honest 100% of the time, unlike so many other sites and publications where you get watered down "reviews" and/or simple cut and paste re-posting of the manufacturer's press release.

Stoked we have such a passionate following here - stay strong - it's not easy turning away BIG ad dollars!

It's a pretty big leap from KBS and True Temper to TMag and Nike, isn't it?

You have every right to run your website the way you see fit, and you offer it to the rest of us FREE OF CHARGE! Personally, I appreciate the fact you have sponsors because it has opened my eyes to lots of products and sources I never would have know about. I understand the feeling we, as users, have of "ownership" of this site, but we have to remember that it costs time and money for you guys to provide the wealth of info that you're generously sharing...so whatever you guys have to do to keep it going is alright by me.

It's easy to criticize - it's harder to actually do...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

To say that having True Temper and KBS as a sponsor compromises the integrity of the site is way off in my opinion. I have always judged the quality of this site by the honesty of the reviews and forum entries, none of which seems tainted by OEM preference based on sponsorship.

In my opinion the only way having sponsors (even big OEMs) would be a negative was if the content of the Blogs/Reviews changed in a way that was obviously favoring the highest bidder. If the integrity of the review system stays in place, and everyones opinions stay their own, then what is the difference?

I don't believe it is anyone's place to tell you how to operate your site, but I will say that I prefer these reviews and this forum to any others, and have only seen the content and community improve over the years, despite the added sponsors.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

I find that email infuriating and the accusations that objectiveity has gone out the window because a couple of sponsors, while large aren't the typical OEM Gorilla's that other sites advertise for, have come on board is certainly interesting.

However it was worked to have KBS and True Temper both come on was a stroke of genius. This way no way can go "all your iron demo's now have KBS/DG's/Whatever else" in them so clearly your now biased. Instead, people are offered exposure to both brands, told repeatedly to get a fitting and perhaps get some info directly from either company that they couldn't get otherwise. I don't see the downside to either of them being sponsors and like the way both were added.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I have nothing against MGS taking money from the sponsors (even big OEMs) as long as censorship doesn't take over for either reviews or member postings. Obviously the threat to pull money would always be there, but so would the backlash from the members if they did pull advertising :).

I obviously don't know all the behind the scenes activities, but given the following two options, I would pick #2:

1) I make $5, no matter what I say, I make a consistent $5

2) I make $15, but if I piss someone off, I may be back to making $5

A prime example would be Cleveland. They didn't like one of the MGS reviews and now seem to refuse to send MGS anything (I'm not sure if this is still true). As a member, the only logical conclusion I can take is that Cleveland knows their clubs can't compete with the rest. That's probably not 100% true, but I'm happy to not buy their stuff because of their attitude. In fact, pretty much everything I've bought related to golf in the past year and a half has had a review done by MGS (formal or by a member).

True Temper and KBS is really no different then a Golf Shop or me wanting to advertise my small business on this website for example. They are shaft companies not really OEM companies most people don't know what the hell shaft they play anyways without looking at the label on it.

The moment that money compromises the truth is when it becomes a problem. Look at Golf Digest, their "hot list" is pure bulls*** now it has nothing to do with performance anymore and all to do with money as to who gets silver and gold. That is a pathetic system of reviewing equipment, ohh they paid the most they get listed first even if the product is complete s**t.

I commend you X for not giving in, most people would take as much money as possible and ride the horse as long as possible.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I believe my response would have been much shorter, as in.....

"Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out."

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

As far as the big OEM's sending in clubs for an honest review....well....that's cool. It says these OEM's believe in their product and know/expect them to perform well. That alone speaks volumes for them.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• SPY VIP

Figuring out where to draw the line between "big OEM" and acceptable advertisers has always been an issue for us. We've long considered shaft companies ideal advertisers since we inadvertently showcase their products anyway...as you know, pretty much every club we get in for testing has somebody's shaft in it. It's a little strange that TrueTemper coming on-board seems to be the breaking point. KBS has and Black Ops have been sponsors for several months now, and Harrison has been with us almost a year.

In a perfect world we wouldn't have any advertisers or sponsors. Those sites exist. Two great examples are Angie's List and Consumer Reports. Apart from not accepting any advertising, what they have in common is that their members pay a monthly fee. We have a few readers who make a monthly donation, but not nearly enough to turn away a good advertiser...or even take my wife out for a nice dinner.

Our business model is a little different...and on paper it's actually pretty stupid. It works like this:

2 guys work 40+ hours a week, 3 others work part time. We take everything we create as a group and give it away to anybody who wants it for absolutely nothing. Sure, we'll ask our readers to consider donating, but the overwhelming majority won't, and that's mostly ok, but only because we have sponsors/advertisers. And even then, we still don't take money from the guys that have big bucks to spend.

As the site grows, so do the associated costs, and that means we're going to accept advertising from larger companies in order to continue to grow and do even more. Look...not taking big OEM dollars is one way we distinguish ourselves from other golf sites, but ultimately it's not about who we take dollars from, it's how those dollars impact us. We're not going to change how or what we write because of a sponsor. But bigger sponsors mean better tests, more opportunities to write the type of stuff you like us to write...and yes, hopefully one day, it will mean a better quality of life for the staff.

Here's my reality...I do this full time...and to make ends meet I pull down shifts at Tark's during the winter...and even then its tight...very tight. So don't expect me to apologize for any new sponsor whether it's The Can't Miss, TrueTemper, or TaylorMade (just an example, nobody panic). I have a wife, and a kid, and mortgage. It's that simple.

Some of you read us because we don't take big OEM dollars. Some of you don't care either way. And I believe there is actually a growing contingent of you who would love us to take big OEM dollars if it meant we could do more, while still maintaining our objectivity...or at the very least if it would mean we'd shut up about not taking big OEM dollars. In a perfect world we wouldn't take a dime from anybody...we wouldn't even ask you guys to donate.

Unfortunately this world isn't perfect. Explaining to our hosting company that we don't take big OEM dollars doesn't reduce our server costs. The owners of Tark's Indoor Golf know we don't take big OEM dollars, but we still have to pay for simulator time. The airlines don't care about our advertising policy when it's time to fly to the PGA show. And most unfortunately, the same is true about our mortgage providers, local grocery stores, and everyone else we rely on in some capacity to keep a roof over our family's heads and food on our tables.

For now I'll leave it at that, except to say that it's pretty awesome that you guys are checking out our advertiser's products (and the stuff we review for nothing), adding it to your collection of golf warez, and generally finding it useful and/or beneficial. That's how it's supposed to work.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Not to hijack the thread, but one option for donations is to have a NPR style where you tell everyone what your goal is and how much you've raised. You could even have the big guys offer to match donations, which would keep them honest because the money raised it out there for everyone to see. That way if they threaten to pull advertising, they're essentially doing it publicly.

Just don't do this as often as NPR :)

I'm sure I speak for all of us in saying we want MGS to be successful. The only way that's possible is if you guys are properly compensated for your time.

And I believe there is actually a growing contingent of you who would love us to take big OEM dollars if it meant we could do more, while still maintaining our objectivity

Stick me in that group T.

If taking dollars from say TM, Nike and Ping allowed things like

A: Consistent indepth testing

B: Testing wouldn't only be allowed to the sponsoring companies

C: Having you or any other reviewer give their honest thoughts

D: Doesn't stop us, the various readers and commenters from giving products crap when we think they don't measure up

E: Allows small little forum testing to exist (the Golf Logix and PMC testing have been neat. I hope the site and the companies think so as well)

then I don't see the problem. If however TM, Nike and Ping were the only things that got reviewed and only good words were said with the objective data removed, well, that would just be sad. However given how strongly both yourself and X feel on this matter, I doubt that would ever occur.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see more shaft companies jump on the sponsorship/partnership band wagon. Having MRC, Matrix, Grahpite Design, Graffaloy, etc come on board with TT and KBS would be neat. Perhaps they would even agree to have the testing shafts be measured by the MGS testers in a consistent manner and let it be published as part of the review. That could just be me dreaming again though.

The TLDR version is I don't care who sponsor's what as long as objectivity can be maintained. Sure, sponsors might expect some glowing words now and then and since no OEM puts out crap these days, I can't see that being to hard while still giving the glowing praise, if they deserve it, to the other companies that submit things for reviews.

Frankly if OEM's can sponsor a site I like, send said site clubs to objectively test and let the review stand it's a win win really. The staff for the site get compensates for their time, the consumer gets accurate and factual information and perhaps gets their eyes opens to a brand they never would have thought of, it seems to me that everyone win's. Perhaps it's just that I've been in project side of IT for awhile but partnerships are the name of the game and how everyone win's.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

2 guys work 40+ hours a week, 3 others work part time. We take everything we create as a group and give it away to anybody who wants it for absolutely nothing. Sure, we'll ask our readers to consider donating, but the overwhelming majority won't, and that's mostly ok, but only because we have sponsors/advertisers. And even then, we still don't take money from the guys that have big bucks to spend.

I think my wife might argue with you about the phrase "part time." :(

I can't add a lot to what T said.

I don't think you'll hear any of the 5 of us complaining, we love writing for this site and all that goes along with it, but no one here is getting rich. I pretty much write for free in between teaching golf for 50+ hours a week. So you can understand why it's galling to hear someone question our (mine, X's, T's, etc) integrity and commitment.

If the content suddenly changed, there'd be something to discuss. Until then, it's hard for me to understand where the hostility comes from.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

...not taking big OEM dollars is one way we distinguish ourselves from other golf sites, but ultimately it's not about who we take dollars from, it's how those dollars impact us. We're not going to change how or what we write because of a sponsor. But bigger sponsors mean better tests, more opportunities to write the type of stuff you like us to write...and yes, hopefully one day, it will mean a better quality of life for the staff.

You can get any damned sponsor you want, or need with the caveat that it does not affect your opinion. I understand your wanting to stand on principle but my mortgage company is interested in principal, not principle. As you say it makes no difference where the money comes from it is how you use it.

IF you are not going out and buying everyone of these clubs that you are test, you do recieve some sponsorship from the major OEM's. The Golf Labs report on shorter shafts immediately come to mind. Without sponsorship of that project by Taylormade and UST than it possibly would not have happened. Even the dreaded TMag, who gets more grief and praise on this site than any other supports what is happening here. I for one, never even thought about Taylormade clubs until I started participating in this site.

Love them or hate them, the objectiveness of this site made me try them out and guess what? I do not hate them anymore. Why? Because their products are pretty good.

This site is growing, not because of your principle of not taking major OEM dollars, but because you use statisitcal data to form your opinion. You do tell of your own personal bias towards the product but unlike the GD Hot List and other club test that is not the major component of the test. When Buzz and Demand make up the majority of the testing criteria the test is useless. When they are spoken about but just in passing than it is useful information.

I said this in another post but initially I thought you all had the greatest job ever. Testing all the different golf equipment. And started doing it on my own. Well, there have been several times when I got something and tried it for a couple of holes and thought, "This is crap. I ain't gonna do it no more." and did not. Only to give it another chance later on and found that it was not the product that was the problem but me. KBS Wedge shafts is one, and they are in my game bag now. But you can not do that. You have to remain objective and play it out and then sit down and write it up.

And the write ups can not be, this is good. and that sucks. I have seen many reviews, "the longest club I ever hit." blah blah blah. Actually there are too many blah's there because they did not give that much information.

BOTTOM LINE> You are all doing a great job and as long as they have two drive through windows, one to pay and one to get your food. We must understand that you have to have money for the first window, before they give you anything at the second one. And do not take money from just one OEM, take it from all of them. With the caveat that if they threaten to pull the money based on content of the site, it will be told that they are trying to influence the outcome of the tests with money because they were concerned that the clubs would not stand on their own merits.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Getting more to the point from my first post: I'll be honest as long that the honesty and integrity of the reviews and opinions are allowed to continue, make bank off the OEMs, people will complain either way so whatever.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I read this a bit earlier in the day, and refrained from commenting, mostly because I didn't want to be mr new member coming off like an arse. The more I thought about it as the day went on, I decided, that I may still come off sounding like an arse, but I had something to contribute.

A little background first. I am a techie by trade and hobby. Golf is my 3rd hobby. I write code for a living (accounting/legal software for Windows). I write code for a hobby ( open source web & database tools and frameworks for Mac OS & iOS ). I rebuild vintage vespa scooters when I need to be away from a computer but near the house for the kids, and I golf when I can get away. Much like the folks here, the second item there is only a hobby because I cannot make a living at it. I depend upon advertising and donation dollars to fund the open source work. In the 6 years I have been doing that I have earned a grand total of $7200 between advertising and donations to my open source work.

It seems to be human nature to assume that "other" people are making big donations to make things happen.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Almost always sites and projects that depend solely on donations and advertising for revenue are not revenue generators, but are labors of love. I think that is clearly what MGS is, and always has been.

The rub is that accepting big OEM dollars carries with it the risk of editorial influence. By electing to forego that money means that the pool of potential revenue streams is greatly diminished. It is a very fine line to walk, and to all appearances the staff is trying to do so very carefully. Any reader that is offended at this stage of the game needs their head examined, and personal issues with a particular vendor to be put aside.

The raw costs of maintaining the site are't that much really, but the costs of producing the content is where the real expenses come in. It is unlikely that the current advertising and donations cover nearly the expenses of acquiring the equipment to make all of this happen. It is unfortunate that more people struggle to grasp that the money a website generates is a pittance to what it costs to create original content rather than parrot press releases.

Last, but not least, there is the SEO problem.

Right now, web 'advertising' is most lucrative when used with SEO placement ads. Content written to look like articles or content posts that does nothing but provide SEO for related sites. Think about the forum posts that occasionally get through where you have someone register an account and then spam the forums with poorly written ad copy that links to another site. That is just one of the many things the dollars buy when people pay so many of these 'get your web site ranked in the top 10 search items for these **** terms' services. But it goes deeper. It is the norm for advertisers to 'buy' SEO link placement on websites, and this too can be very lucrative, but you don't see MGS engaging in that crap either.

At the end of the day, we have a disgruntled user griping about something that they have no business griping about, and a staff that has chosen the high road with a clearly articulated 'reader first' business model. It is not a 'get rich quick' scheme. More like a 'stay poor and humble' strategy that speaks volumes as to the character of the staff of the site.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

The original e-mail is plain ridiculous. Everything I have wanted to say was said already, so I won't go on repeating it all. Here's the deal. We love what all of you spies do here and it creates a great experience for everyone. I am have been more than happy being a member for the past two months. I have learned a lot and have met some great people. X, you made the perfect response to that member, and I think we all appreciate you showing us what has been going on. I am with JM in saying that I believe you can get all the sponsorships as you want as long as the website stays the same. As long as the honesty and integrity (sorry to steal your words JM) stay, then I think you should be compensated. I truly appreciate what you have done and just ask that you keep it up!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Hope everyone's current with their donations -- oh, and I agree with RR - take advertising $$ from whoever you want. Doesn't bother me any - it's your sight and you're letting us use it for free. And if an OEM threatens to pull $$ over a bad review, well, then it's bullet-sweatin' time for sure 'cause you still gotta pay the bills, but it would make THEM look like the back-end of a horse.

And after taking a look at your reviews -- you certainly don't trash anyone, the objective scores are all pretty consistent and you always have something positive to say about every club you've tested. The subjective scoring has been honest and straightforward. What more could anyone ask?

Keep up the good work, and if you can make more bank while you're at it, go for it!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It doesn't matter to me one way or another how a website is funded. I visit websites that provide the information I'm seeking. MyGolfSpy does a good job of keeping me coming back. I don't know if that would change if the funding philosophy changed, but that really isn't my concern anyway. All I want to say is keep up the good work. I enjoy the information MyGolfSpy provides. And while I'm not a donor yet, I may be in the future.

To me, the individualized reviews and content is what matters. In the grand scheme of things, lots of times, the official reviews are written by the same 4 or 5 guys and their test group. They're well written, and well thought out and well organized and well done. With that said, I don't take those reviews as the gospel, I generally read additional comments from others (and when I have thoughts and what not on a product, I'll chime in as well). The larger focus groups, to me, is more important than a singular review. So really, I wouldn't care if you guys took advertising dollars and even agreed not to publish any negative commentary in the official reviews, as long as the users that aren't official reviewers/staffers are unmoderated for content (not unmoderated at all, as I know there has to be some moderation due to the readership and possibly having SpyKids on here, etc). I know that's not the vision of this site, and I know that's not what MGS is about. I know this site is as unbiased and non-propaganda as it gets. With that said, I also want this site to stick around, and if that means that you need to take on advertising dollars, so be it. I know the vision will still be there, and that the user commentary from the broad spectrum will be there. That's what I come here for, not primarily the reviews by one individual. The commentary on the main page as well as here and on the Facebook page is as insightful and helpful as the actual reviews themselves, IMO, and that's the value in this place. One can speak their mind, as long as it's done respectfully (I'm guilty of speaking my mind and not agreeing, hopefully I haven't offended anyone, and if I have, I apologize). Again, the value is in the freedom to talk freely without moderation for negativity due to advertising dollars, and that we can speak on all product regardless of if the manufacturer sponsors the site or not. Hey, I even learned how to rebuild an engine just now from one of the ads up top (not kidding, that was an ad that just popped up, didn't click it, but I could've). Which reminds me, I'm gonna have to see if I can get a new member that's worked in the industry for a LONG time to chime in on something that I know he has a TON of knowledge about, as I know the gang here will allow him to post unlike other places.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't really care where the money comes from. The way I look at it, people want to advertise here because you draw the crowd they want looking at their products. That crowd is golf fanatics looking for unbiased and uncensored information about all things golf. The people here are people that have taken a step beyond what an average consumer will do to inform themselves about their interests. If you were to allow your sponsors to influence your content and started writing slanted reviews to favor a company, you would be acting against your own self interests and the advertisers' as well. If you did this, the crowd the sponsors paid to get their product in front of would leave, to be (maybe) replaced by a lesser informed consumer and probably not replaced at all. Readership would drop and the companies would stop paying to advertise because it wouldn't be worth it. The only reason this audience is valuable to the advertiser is because the audience has faith that the staff will call a product junk if it is junk. The minute you stop doing that, you lose everything you've worked to build and the site becomes worthless to everyone.

Keep up the good work, don't let the complainers get to you. When you've actually got a problem with your content, I promise I will tell you, in all caps. :P

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

If you try to please everyone, you're in for a lot of disappointment. This guy wont be the last. People will always have opinions, and feel it's their responsibility to tell you how to run your business. Don't listen to them. It's your site. You do what you think is best. I will be here, reading and posting.

I think the best part of this site is the REAL discussions that take place. And with discussion comes disagreement. That is not a bad thing.....

Keep up the good work!!!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Agree. If you can take the advertising money from any company without it affecting the review's honesty, then you will have achieved MGS's ultimate goal.

Keep it up!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Ok, everyone ready? I didn't reply right away, because I wanted some time to think on everything, and read a lot of responses first.

I am going to skip past the obvious, the e-mail is garbage, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but does not make them right, and we all agree you can't please everyone. So continue the great job!

Now, onto my opinions.

Wasn't too long ago I posted a challenge to every member to match my donation, I think I got one taker, so everyone off their high horse about sending in all kinds of money, or not taking advertising dollars. I did this even as I was unemployed and working for free to dig my former company out of bankruptcy.

True Temper and KBS, how could anyone be remotely concerned about them being sponsors, hell, get all the shaft companies you can. Maybe the most unbiased sponsorships we can get.

Take the big OEM's money and continue the way you have been, and when they threaten to take money away, or product for testing, that's when you tell them to shove it. I think everyone here respects you and the staff's jobs you do more than you can even fathom.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 2 months later...

Agree. If you can take the advertising money from any company without it affecting the review's honesty, then you will have achieved MGS's ultimate goal.

Keep it up!

Late to this thread, but the more I think about this post, the more I agree with it. IF, by taking more advertising $$, MGS can grow and prosper while maintaining your objectivity, then you will have achieved a win-win situation. I hope at some point that becomes your reality.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I think your chivalric point of view is amazing but I wouldn't mind the site or you accepting big OEMs sponsorship. At the end, why not? We all know you won't sell your soul to any brand, and if through the way the OEM is disappointed because they don't get a 99% on their clubs, then they will just retire and stop sponsoring that is all... I'm sure your working ethics wouldn't change, and you do deserve to make some money from your effort

On the other side, there seems to be this "Hipster Attitude" towards golf equipment these days, where you have to like every small company and tell everybody how better they are from big OEMs. If you buy a Taylormade RBZ or any NEW Big OEM driver then you "sold your soul" and you are an idiot who has been fooled by marketing. This seems to be the same attitude the reader who wrote the letter is taking. SO just don't pay any attention to this guy...

I am relatively new to MGS but in that short time I have read reviews on the Nunchuk shafts and the Adams IdeaPro A12 Hybrid. Both are now in my bag and if not for MGS and the forthright reviews I would not have even heard of Nunchuk and might not have considered the Adams.

As stated by others in this thread, it does not matter a rats if MGS is sponsored by all or none of the brands as long as the reviews and information are an honest representation of product that benefits us as readers then all is right with the world.

Keep up the great work MGS.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Archived