(THE LAST STRAW) - EMAIL FROM FORUM MEMBER

Our Sponsors

To me, the individualized reviews and content is what matters. In the grand scheme of things, lots of times, the official reviews are written by the same 4 or 5 guys and their test group. They're well written, and well thought out and well organized and well done. With that said, I don't take those reviews as the gospel, I generally read additional comments from others (and when I have thoughts and what not on a product, I'll chime in as well). The larger focus groups, to me, is more important than a singular review. So really, I wouldn't care if you guys took advertising dollars and even agreed not to publish any negative commentary in the official reviews, as long as the users that aren't official reviewers/staffers are unmoderated for content (not unmoderated at all, as I know there has to be some moderation due to the readership and possibly having SpyKids on here, etc). I know that's not the vision of this site, and I know that's not what MGS is about. I know this site is as unbiased and non-propaganda as it gets. With that said, I also want this site to stick around, and if that means that you need to take on advertising dollars, so be it. I know the vision will still be there, and that the user commentary from the broad spectrum will be there. That's what I come here for, not primarily the reviews by one individual. The commentary on the main page as well as here and on the Facebook page is as insightful and helpful as the actual reviews themselves, IMO, and that's the value in this place. One can speak their mind, as long as it's done respectfully (I'm guilty of speaking my mind and not agreeing, hopefully I haven't offended anyone, and if I have, I apologize). Again, the value is in the freedom to talk freely without moderation for negativity due to advertising dollars, and that we can speak on all product regardless of if the manufacturer sponsors the site or not. Hey, I even learned how to rebuild an engine just now from one of the ads up top (not kidding, that was an ad that just popped up, didn't click it, but I could've). Which reminds me, I'm gonna have to see if I can get a new member that's worked in the industry for a LONG time to chime in on something that I know he has a TON of knowledge about, as I know the gang here will allow him to post unlike other places.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't really care where the money comes from. The way I look at it, people want to advertise here because you draw the crowd they want looking at their products. That crowd is golf fanatics looking for unbiased and uncensored information about all things golf. The people here are people that have taken a step beyond what an average consumer will do to inform themselves about their interests. If you were to allow your sponsors to influence your content and started writing slanted reviews to favor a company, you would be acting against your own self interests and the advertisers' as well. If you did this, the crowd the sponsors paid to get their product in front of would leave, to be (maybe) replaced by a lesser informed consumer and probably not replaced at all. Readership would drop and the companies would stop paying to advertise because it wouldn't be worth it. The only reason this audience is valuable to the advertiser is because the audience has faith that the staff will call a product junk if it is junk. The minute you stop doing that, you lose everything you've worked to build and the site becomes worthless to everyone.

Keep up the good work, don't let the complainers get to you. When you've actually got a problem with your content, I promise I will tell you, in all caps. :P

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

If you try to please everyone, you're in for a lot of disappointment. This guy wont be the last. People will always have opinions, and feel it's their responsibility to tell you how to run your business. Don't listen to them. It's your site. You do what you think is best. I will be here, reading and posting.

I think the best part of this site is the REAL discussions that take place. And with discussion comes disagreement. That is not a bad thing.....

Keep up the good work!!!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Agree. If you can take the advertising money from any company without it affecting the review's honesty, then you will have achieved MGS's ultimate goal.

Keep it up!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Ok, everyone ready? I didn't reply right away, because I wanted some time to think on everything, and read a lot of responses first.

I am going to skip past the obvious, the e-mail is garbage, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but does not make them right, and we all agree you can't please everyone. So continue the great job!

Now, onto my opinions.

Wasn't too long ago I posted a challenge to every member to match my donation, I think I got one taker, so everyone off their high horse about sending in all kinds of money, or not taking advertising dollars. I did this even as I was unemployed and working for free to dig my former company out of bankruptcy.

True Temper and KBS, how could anyone be remotely concerned about them being sponsors, hell, get all the shaft companies you can. Maybe the most unbiased sponsorships we can get.

Take the big OEM's money and continue the way you have been, and when they threaten to take money away, or product for testing, that's when you tell them to shove it. I think everyone here respects you and the staff's jobs you do more than you can even fathom.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

• 2 months later...

Agree. If you can take the advertising money from any company without it affecting the review's honesty, then you will have achieved MGS's ultimate goal.

Keep it up!

Late to this thread, but the more I think about this post, the more I agree with it. IF, by taking more advertising $$, MGS can grow and prosper while maintaining your objectivity, then you will have achieved a win-win situation. I hope at some point that becomes your reality.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I think your chivalric point of view is amazing but I wouldn't mind the site or you accepting big OEMs sponsorship. At the end, why not? We all know you won't sell your soul to any brand, and if through the way the OEM is disappointed because they don't get a 99% on their clubs, then they will just retire and stop sponsoring that is all... I'm sure your working ethics wouldn't change, and you do deserve to make some money from your effort

On the other side, there seems to be this "Hipster Attitude" towards golf equipment these days, where you have to like every small company and tell everybody how better they are from big OEMs. If you buy a Taylormade RBZ or any NEW Big OEM driver then you "sold your soul" and you are an idiot who has been fooled by marketing. This seems to be the same attitude the reader who wrote the letter is taking. SO just don't pay any attention to this guy...

I am relatively new to MGS but in that short time I have read reviews on the Nunchuk shafts and the Adams IdeaPro A12 Hybrid. Both are now in my bag and if not for MGS and the forthright reviews I would not have even heard of Nunchuk and might not have considered the Adams.

As stated by others in this thread, it does not matter a rats if MGS is sponsored by all or none of the brands as long as the reviews and information are an honest representation of product that benefits us as readers then all is right with the world.

Keep up the great work MGS.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Having been justly chided for not contributing in another spot I'd add that you need to do what you need to do - just continue to maintain your integrity and objectivity.

It's interesting to me that a site that a formerly inhabited - a long time ago and far far away also had a "review" of the new Adams driver - it's the cats meow - just like everything else - no discernment what so ever.

Those who love the game of golf and want to improve and excell need this site.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

• 3 weeks later...

To say that having True Temper and KBS as a sponsor compromises the integrity of the site is way off in my opinion. I have always judged the quality of this site by the honesty of the reviews and forum entries, none of which seems tainted by OEM preference based on sponsorship.

In my opinion the only way having sponsors (even big OEMs) would be a negative was if the content of the Blogs/Reviews changed in a way that was obviously favoring the highest bidder. If the integrity of the review system stays in place, and everyones opinions stay their own, then what is the difference?

I don't believe it is anyone's place to tell you how to operate your site, but I will say that I prefer these reviews and this forum to any others, and have only seen the content and community improve over the years, despite the added sponsors.

I fully agree! It would not bother me if you accepted advertising from OEMs. Just so they can't corrupt the testing process by "threatening" to withhold advertising in light of negative reviews.

You do an excellent job, I could not do what you do AND turn away revenue, nor would I so more power to you.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship