The Perfect Round

StevieV

How would you describe the perfect round of golf? I love golf because there is no single answer or description of the perfect round.

Think about it, what's your perfect round? 

Your score would be a good one, maybe a PB. Sure, you're bombing drives in the fairway and sticking shots close from 160 out. But, is there much better than those epic recovery shots that come after a mistake - splashing from a bunker, drawing around a tree after an errant drive, or draining a long putt?

Maybe it's more about the people you're with - those epic groups: scramble groups going low, or beer guzzling good-times with the squad. Is there much better than getting to bond with your in-laws over something you all can get out and enjoy together, or sharing your passion with your child/ren and going through the life lessons taught by golf with them. Sometimes, it's also best out there alone - focusing on your game, clearing your mind, just taking in the beauty of the course.

With that said, maybe your perfect round is in the blazing sun with firm greens. That cool morning dew round also has a special place. Hell, sometimes a round indoors on a sim feels perfect (coming from a Canadian who yearns for a round the game when winter hits).

And just like that I'm looking up tee times for tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing you describe your perfect round.

Cheers

StevieV

Gone Golfin'

WITB: Driver: Callaway BB21, 5W: Wilson D9, 4H: Wilson D9, 5i-Pw: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal HL, 52°/56°/60°w: Wilson Harmonized, Putter: Lazrus Mallet

Perfect round for me has something to do with score, but I'll be honest my most memorable and fun rounds have been that I have played solid. No necessarily amazing, but it's been the course and the people which have made the experience incredible and a lot of fun. It's the enjoyment of exploring somewhere new, taking in everything that's around and enjoying the game and round itself. 

The perfect round for me needs 3 ingredients. Good people, good course (prefer a view) and decent play.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This is a tough one to answer for me because I could have several perfect round scenarios for different reasons.  Good company, good course, hole in one would be one example. I could come up with a number of perfect rounds but I'll stick with that for now...  ha. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

A perfect round for me has been several different scenarios: usually has zero to do with score , it’s about who I’m with , played with my son at age 5 with 3 dear buddies who tolerated the little guy swinging the club - another was with both my sons on a vacation round where we laughed and giggled for days afterwards - the last round I played with  one of my mentors shall never be forgotten - playing in a tournament at Pebble Beach of which we won against teams of 24 active or retired D1 football coaches and the stories told - those are perfect for me !

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect round. However, there are transcendent rounds. For me, those occur primarily based on being at a special place. Usually  a world class course.They have occurred playing with great friends, strangers who become new friends, and most frequently when playing alone when I have a course to myself either early in the morning or late in the day. Score isn't important, but striking the ball well is, so I'm not thinking about my swing, but rather focused in my surroundings and the shot at hand. They are rounds  I'll remember all my life even though I have no idea of what my score was. Sone examples:

A late day round at Ballyneal, literally the only one on the course, finishing at sunset in the Colorado chop hills with views that seem to go on forever.

First tee time on a misty morning as a single at the Berkshire, playing through the ancient English heathland 

Last month, Royal Cinque Ports, with old friends, last round of an eight day golf trip, reaching the 18th as the sunset.

Balllyneal twilight round #8 view from mound behind green - cropped.jpg

Berkshire Red #10 200 yard monster par 3 P1050458r2.jpg

Royal Cinque Ports #17 978.jpg

Edited by sabramFL

Ping g 430 irons & hybrid

Taylor Made Stealth 2 HD driver &fairways

As both @Woodrow72 and @jdparkerstated; many different scenarios defined by many different metrics for the perfect  round… 

As for me… If I ever shoot my age, I’ll give the golf clubs and gear away and move on to something along the lines of barbecue hockey for the elderly. 

As has been said already, there are multiple elements to make a round the Perfect Round.

1. Good people. This is probably the most important part. If you have boring, quiet, annoying, angry people the round will suck. You need people you like, that are fun at heart, that enjoy the game as you do, that want to be there, and that have fun regardless of their score and play.
2. Good course. This doesn't have to be Augusta or The Old Course or any fancy pants course. It's more about how green the fairways are and how true the greens are running - course conditions. If the conditions are quality, the perfect round continues.
3. Good play. This goes without saying, but it's also not a requirement for a PB or your longest drive or any of that crazy stuff. Just good, solid, consistent play throughout the entire round. Scoring will take care of itself if the play is of good quality throughout the round.
4. Weather. For me the best time of year to play is the Fall. The temps are perfect, high enough to keep us warm but low enough so we don't melt. Plus the humidity is down which makes it great. And here where I live, the colors and views are spectacular! Reds, greens, yellows, oranges, etc are bright and beautiful!

If all of this is in place, the round will be perfect.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Perfect round for me has something to do with score, but I'll be honest my most memorable and fun rounds have been that I have played solid. No necessarily amazing, but it's been the course and the people which have made the experience incredible and a lot of fun. It's the enjoyment of exploring somewhere new, taking in everything that's around and enjoying the game and round itself. 

The perfect round for me needs 3 ingredients. Good people, good course (prefer a view) and decent play.

Agree completely, but I would add that you also need good weather.

Cliqboom,

Keep it fun.

TS1im irons w/UST shafts, Mixed woods, TM wedges, Ping flatstick.

11 hours ago, StevieV said:

How would you describe the perfect round of golf? I love golf because there is no single answer or description of the perfect round.

Think about it, what's your perfect round? 

Your score would be a good one, maybe a PB. Sure, you're bombing drives in the fairway and sticking shots close from 160 out. But, is there much better than those epic recovery shots that come after a mistake - splashing from a bunker, drawing around a tree after an errant drive, or draining a long putt?

Maybe it's more about the people you're with - those epic groups: scramble groups going low, or beer guzzling good-times with the squad. Is there much better than getting to bond with your in-laws over something you all can get out and enjoy together, or sharing your passion with your child/ren and going through the life lessons taught by golf with them. Sometimes, it's also best out there alone - focusing on your game, clearing your mind, just taking in the beauty of the course.

With that said, maybe your perfect round is in the blazing sun with firm greens. That cool morning dew round also has a special place. Hell, sometimes a round indoors on a sim feels perfect (coming from a Canadian who yearns for a round the game when winter hits).

And just like that I'm looking up tee times for tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing you describe your perfect round.

Cheers

3 components make up my perfect round and for that matter my favourite course, 1-a great group of players 2-a great score 3-a great course.

committed to performance excellence

9 minutes ago, Cliqboom said:

Agree completely, but I would add that you also need good weather.

Good weather is a bonus 😉

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

There are many angles to take to answer this question. For me, I am in belief that the perfect round is one where there is a clean card. Meaning only pars or better. I have had several perfect nine’s and two perfect rounds this year. Each time I tee it up now I aspire to replicate or improve on those perfect rounds. 

Play like a champion today!

My Perfect Round -  3 fingers of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bourbon.

Oh wait!  You mean golf?  I don't care where I play... nice resort or dog track as long as my wife is playing, and I hit every shot as I intended.  The result doesn't matter; I picked a shot and the line, and executed it well... that's what is important to me.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”