Eagle on a par 4

So I'm a little late in reporting this to MGS, but about two weeks ago I was playing The Quarry in Canton, OH with @MaxEntropy and I eagled the 4th hole. I don't have a hole in one yet, but this was really awesome. I've got tons of eagles on par 5s, but this was the  first on a par 4. The hole was about 270 yards and I just about drove the green, maybe a a foot or two of apron before the putting surface. It was a front pin and I made the roughly 15 footer for eagle.

Is this actually more rare than a hole in one?

image.png.1b4e3e965d984797a666b4c664f6d706.png

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Congrats on the eagle!  Always great to make eagle.  While not more rare than a hole in one, it's always a great feeling to make a 2 on a par 4.

We have a par 4 on my home course that is 290 from back tees and is a risk/reward shot.  Heavily guarded with trees and bunkers but gives you a great opportunity to score well with a good shot. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I've had a couple eagles on par 5's and a hole-in-one, but I have never had an eagle on a par 4. I HAVE 3-putted for par on a couple par 4's 🤦‍♂️.

The putt @DiscipleofPenick made on the hole was damn impressive. It broke 3-4 feet and if it missed the hole, could have ran a looong way by. He had perfect line and speed.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Is this actually more rare than a hole in one?

I’d say no.   Like you I’ve had a few eagles on par 5s, and while I have driven a few short par 4s no eagles in that manner but have holed a few with approach shots to get eagle.  Every time I have holed a shot from the fairway I wonder why I can’t get a hole in one.  🤪

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I've had a couple eagles on par 5's and a hole-in-one, but I have never had an eagle on a par 4. I HAVE 3-putted for par on a couple par 4's 🤦‍♂️.

The putt @DiscipleofPenick made on the hole was damn impressive. It broke 3-4 feet and if it missed the hole, could have ran a looong way by. He had perfect line and speed.

The dreaded 3 putt par...  

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I’d say no.   Like you I’ve had a few eagles on par 5s, and while I have driven a few short par 4s no eagles in that manner but have holed a few with approach shots to get eagle.  Every time I have holed a shot from the fairway I wonder why I can’t get a hole in one.  🤪

Haha. I'm on that hole in one chase myself!  Have had a couple hit either cup or flag and the worst one ever was when I worked at a course years ago and changing pins early morning and would play the par 3s.  Dew on the ground still because it hadn't been mowed yet. Hit 5 feet in front, checked and dew ball mark all the way around the cup.  Makes it worse when you see the ball trace to the hole. Lol. 

2 hours ago, jdparker said:

Congrats on the eagle!  Always great to make eagle.  While not more rare than a hole in one, it's always a great feeling to make a 2 on a par 4.

We have a par 4 on my home course that is 290 from back tees and is a risk/reward shot.  Heavily guarded with trees and bunkers but gives you a great opportunity to score well with a good shot. 

When we were standing on the tee, I didn't even think this hole was risk/reward. Just don't pull hook it into the junk. The long bunker on the left is only like 220 to carry from the back tees, so it's not even in play for hitting driver. And if you miss right, the slope feeds everything back down towards the green. There is a swail in the front left and unless it's really dry you're not going to climb onto the green from that angle, but you are still in position for an up and down birdie, or at least an easy par. This was also my first time playing the course, and I had a great time.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

9 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

When we were standing on the tee, I didn't even think this hole was risk/reward. Just don't pull hook it into the junk. The long bunker on the left is only like 220 to carry from the back tees, so it's not even in play for hitting driver. And if you miss right, the slope feeds everything back down towards the green. There is a swail in the front left and unless it's really dry you're not going to climb onto the green from that angle, but you are still in position for an up and down birdie, or at least an easy par. This was also my first time playing the course, and I had a great time.

I ended up in the swail. It's deep enough I could not see the surface of the green on my second shot and came up a bit short with the chip. Got my easy par, though.

Screenshot_20231023_202852.jpg.25c33a718d175b5156aaf1894f155ce2.jpg

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

The rariety question of par 3 hole in one vs eagle on par 4 would be an interesting Lou Stagner newsletter topic (if he's running out of ideas and sees this). I can see how a par 3 ace would be more likely because you always have a shot at holing out from the tee, where plenty of tee shots would be carved into unmakeable positions on par 4s. There's also the second shot on a par 4 being typically shorter than from the tee of a par 3 influencing the probability that way. Would be interested in seeing an actual breakdown.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

@Blueberry_Squishie It would be a great.  

I went down a worm hole because I can't sleep and tried to dig up some stats and it's proving more difficult than I thought it would be.  So here are a few scenarios:

PGA - Hole in 1 stats are roughly 3000 to 1 odds 

Eagle on Par 4 stats are roughly 2 for about every 1000 Par 4 holes. (This was on the PGA site https://www.pgatour.com/stats/detail/447 )

Finding info on stats for the rest of us on Par 4's..... well I haven't found anything on it yet.  But we do know its roughly 12,500 to 1 for a hole in 1. 

If I look at my course, I have 4 Par 3's, 4 Par 5's and 10 Par 4's.  You definitely have more chances at eagle per round than you do an ace.  

Either way, I'll take one any way I can!  

I eagled a par 4 last weekend too! Guys' trip to Cutter Creek Golf Club in Snow Hill, NC. About 290 on the par 4 12th. We do closest to the pin on all the par 3's, so naturally I had to leave a note to see if I could get paid for CTP 😉

PXL_20231021_201249712.jpg.0f00b159ca043a6a165665ce6d455ab9.jpg

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour

Ball: ProV1x Left Dash, Chromesoft X LS
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow