From a Facebook friend:

http://www.businessinsider.com/14-ways-people-cheat-at-golf-2012-6

i'll fess up to 5,6,7,9,10 and 12...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I am guilty of half of 4, 6,9,10,and 12. I say half of 4 because if there is a tree root or heavy hard rocks I will move my ball into an equal or WORSE lie that wont damage my club. I cant damage my babies :( But if there is a tree trunk or something of that nature, I don't try to progress the ball forward and just play it sideways to get it into the fairway.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

6 - Depending....Sometimes I'll play OB as a 2 stroke penalty instead of stroke & distance

10 - Ya, I leave the flag in playing alone.....does that really matter unless you whack it way to hard?

14 - If my ball lands in some nimrod's footprint in a bunker, ya, I'm raking & replacing.

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

3 - I'll improve the lie when it's been raining a lot and I'm playing just for fun. Would only do it in a tournament should the rules allow it.

6 - Will take a lateral drop or play it as it lies when it's a casual round so I don't hold up the group behind me.

8 - When we play for money, the most you can get in a hole is 2 x PAR + 1

10 - Too lazy to take out the flag stick when playing alone

11 - We limit our gimmies to the length of the steel shaft on the putter (belly putters excluded)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

LOL the quote on number 2 is classic, sounded like something I have heard on the course before.

Just a couple comments on a few that I don't violate but see it happen a lot

6 ~ I used to play with a group that was OB lateral drop but 2 strokes rather then stroke and distance, If you think it is even close to being OB / Lost just hit a provisional.

7 ~ I see this one all time on number 12 at my course, it is a par 3 with a huge pond people seem to go up 50 yards from green with no marked drop area up there and hit a shot.

12 ~ I saw one rare occasion where 3 people (including the guy that hit the ball) watched this ball land in an area about 5 yards left of the cart path, we saw a slight splash up as it was after a heavy rain. We get down there and absolutely no sign of the ball, we all know it was in the 2" standing water and had to have embedded then the mud collapsed over the ball. So what is the ruling here, lost ball? We didn't have a fore caddy otherwise we could have found it and he would have taken relief under the rules. We ended up just letting him take relief from standing water as we all saw about where it hit.

Here are the ones I am guilty of doing

5 ~ I have more then 14 in my bag a lot of times in a practice round before a tournament so I know what configuration to use for the tournament, I don't pull the "foot wedge" thing ever.

8 ~ I have played in tournament groups that have a double par + 1 rule implemented, 99% of time no one hits the maximum strokes. I sorta use +5 as my general cap over par, I haven't hit max much but have taken an 8 (par 3 with two PS) and a 11 (par 5 with two PS) before putting the +5 into the hole.

10 ~ I do this playing solo on long putts or when I am playing through a group, all pace of play oriented most of time on short putts. Luckily it is technically only a PS if you make contact with the stick when making a stroke from the putting surface.

11 ~ If I violate this rule it is always because of a pace of play issue in my group. If there is not a pace of play issue then only happens in match play and my opponent conceded the putt which is legal.

I think that they missed one, I don't do this but see a guy I know do it all time when we play match play.

15 ~ During match play, taking only one stroke above your playing partner that won the hole and reporting it for handicap as stroke play. For example you are putting double bogey into the hole from 10 feet, you playing partner makes par and you pick up and record a bogey.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I was just looking at this http://www.businessinsider.com/worst-golf-lies-ever-2012-5#thats-buried-1 as well.

I have had seen or had worse lies then number 1 and number 2...

1 ~ I have seen a guy hit into the face of a bunker in Myrtle Beach, we get up there and can't find his ball. I started kicking at the face of the bunker to identify where I thought it went all of a sudden a ball pops out. It had gotten completely covered by the power white bunker sand. I go "there is your ball now you have to place it back covered and play it" he goes "no way I'll take the unplayable".

2 ~ I have actually had my ball after a drive sitting in the button of a storm drain. we had to get a ball retriever down there to get it out, guy I was playing with took a picture of it thought it was hilarious. Lee Westwood "almost" went down the drain, I did it literally.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I don't always pull the pin when playing by myself.

Sometimes our group when away from home will play unknown OB or lost balls as a lateral and penalty stroke.

Putts are given, I hate it but it just is what it is.

Every now and then the "leaf rule" is invoked. In the fall our course gets LOTS of leaves, DRIFTS of leaves. Someone cannot call the leaf rule for themselves, the group must agree that the ball is in the leaves somewhere and a free drop is given about where everyone thinks it should be.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

There is one that I'm surprised isn't on there, because I see it happen multiple times a round (I do it myself occasionally).......taking "relief" from a sprinkler head on a fringe, so you can putt instead of chip. I did it the other day and I said "I'm going to cheat and take relief from this sprinkler head, so I can putt" and one of the guys I was playing with said "thats not cheating, it's legal". I had to explain to him how taking relief from a sprinkler worked and that it didn't included "so you could putt instead of chip".

Though Pace of Play is the common refrain, I think it is a valid approach. I find that I play alot of provisionals. If I think it's even close, I'll hit a provisional. I pick up probably 70% of them, but from a pace of play standpoint, that provisional costs next to nothing. Beyond that, I try to stay within the rules, with a single exception, I'll play off rocks or roots if they are in play, but I won't play off the cart path.

That said, I do play occasionally with a group that plays very fast and loose with the rules of the game. It took a couple of rounds before they got that I don't really care how they choose to play, I do not engage in the same things so they don't 'improve my shot' if they get to my ball before I do (which is often since I generally prefer to walk though they ride)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

There is one that I'm surprised isn't on there, because I see it happen multiple times a round (I do it myself occasionally).......taking "relief" from a sprinkler head on a fringe, so you can putt instead of chip. I did it the other day and I said "I'm going to cheat and take relief from this sprinkler head, so I can putt" and one of the guys I was playing with said "thats not cheating, it's legal". I had to explain to him how taking relief from a sprinkler worked and that it didn't included "so you could putt instead of chip".

OT: I get into so many arguments about this concept. The USGA has rules for taking relief from a obstruction, there is no where in the rules that stipulates the stroke, club, stance you must play after taking full relief under the rules once the ball lies "through the green".

Example: You are right handed golfer and your ball sits just to the left of a cart path but next to bushes and OB, you can't take a stance RH so you decide to play it left handed, you take your stance and are standing on the cart path. You may not take Relief to the left of the path as it is bushes and OB right there, your nearest point of relief is to the right of the cart path. You my take relief finding the nearest point for a left handed swing and club, once marked you get one club length drop the ball. Dropping the ball at shoulder height when the ball comes to rest it is "in play" lying "through the green". You my proceed under the rules of the ball being "through the green", which means you can take any stance, any club, any stroke / swing as if the ball had never been moved and originally lied in that location. In other words I would be swinging right handed and with a different club most likely.

Some might call it unethical, I call it knowing the rule and using it for your advantage it is 100% within the rules because you proceeded under each different type of rule. Taking improper relief is not correct and would be cheating.

If I'm playing for score, I stay by the rules. But if my game has gone to s***, then I typically play for fun and will give myself more favorable shots (if my swing is gone, then there's no way I'll be able to shape the ball around a tree).

These are the exception:

If my ball is anywhere that a stroke would possibly damage my club or cause me injury, it's getting moved. Tree roots, rocks, etc. and if a bunker is full of gravel instead of sand, I'll just drop behind the bunker. Unlike the pros, I don't have an unlimited supply of free clubs.

I agree with this quote completely, but if I take a drop, I do it so I'm not doing myself any favor other than saving my club:

"I don't take a penalty stroke when I lose a ball in a location where it should be easily found if the groundskeepers mowed as they should."

"I do a variant of the same. Many times, one of our group will hit a ball just off the fairway into some light rough (no bushes, trees, or nasty crap, just un-maintained grass). If we can't find the ball after a minute or so, it's a free drop in the general area where we saw the ball go. It's really a pace-of-play thing, we're not going to spend forever looking for a ball that should be pretty easy to find."

Playing munis this happens and I'll be damned if I'm penalized for hitting the ball in the light rough. The pros don't lose balls because they play nice courses and have a million eyes on their balls (taken out of context, that made my lol, but anyway...)

So true...What's funny is that I had a guy do the very same thing & he, like your guy, when called on it, said with all of the conviction in the world that it was legal..lol...And he's a +1 so it's not just beginners/high cappers who don't know the rules...Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

It's not illegal to take relief from a sprinkler and changing the type of shot you hit. The shot type doesn't matter in accordance to the rules. That's using the rules to your advantage. You're allowed relief from the sprinkler, and if you decide to putt after taking that relief, instead of chipping, you're 100% within the rules of golf.

Using the rules to one's advantage is knowing the rules and not breaking them. How many times have you been penalized by the rules to take relief, or a free drop, etc? If you get the chance to take advantage of the rules, you should, as it's perfectly legal to use them to your advantage. Nothing in the world wrong with doing it.

I try my best to play within the rules of golf, I may be unknowingly guilty of rules infractions, but for the most part, I play within them. If there are local rules in place, I also play within those. I've, several times, in tournaments when in question, played out two balls if there's no rules official and written down the score for each and then asked for a ruling from the ruling body if I'm uncertain of what to do in a situation (which is what we were instructed to do before tournaments in the event there's a rules question).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I am guilty of several of these when not in a tournament. We play a quota system so usually pick up if you can not get a boogie so we limit the score to double bogie. This is not a huge deal for me because I am almost always putting for bogey. I played last week with some guys who were horrible. And played them all out. And they took forever. 3 hours for 9 holes and there was no one else on the course. I remember that the best score was a triple bogey when one of them putted in the cup from off a hill 8 feet from the green and it crossed 40 or 50 feet of green, hit the flag.

I played with them in an effort to improve my concentration. If you can regain or maintain your focus when your playing partners are making double digets on every hole the little things do not distract you. I had to wait 8 minutes between shots one time.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• SPY VIP

It's not illegal to take relief from a sprinkler and changing the type of shot you hit. The shot type doesn't matter in accordance to the rules. That's using the rules to your advantage. You're allowed relief from the sprinkler, and if you decide to putt after taking that relief, instead of chipping, you're 100% within the rules of golf.

Using the rules to one's advantage is knowing the rules and not breaking them. How many times have you been penalized by the rules to take relief, or a free drop, etc? If you get the chance to take advantage of the rules, you should, as it's perfectly legal to use them to your advantage. Nothing in the world wrong with doing it.

I try my best to play within the rules of golf, I may be unknowingly guilty of rules infractions, but for the most part, I play within them. If there are local rules in place, I also play within those. I've, several times, in tournaments when in question, played out two balls if there's no rules official and written down the score for each and then asked for a ruling from the ruling body if I'm uncertain of what to do in a situation (which is what we were instructed to do before tournaments in the event there's a rules question).

You're correct that you're entitled to relief from a sprinkler head if your ball is resting on it, or if it interferes with your stance. I believe the original point was that you are not entitled to relief simply because the head is between your ball and the hole when neither of the other two conditions apply. It's a rarity but it does happen.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

You're correct that you're entitled to relief from a sprinkler head if your ball is resting on it, or if it interferes with your stance. I believe the original point was that you are not entitled to relief simply because the head is between your ball and the hole when neither of the other two conditions apply. It's a rarity but it does happen.

I was under the impression that the ball was resting on the sprinkler from the original post about it since he said he was taking relief from it. I've had occasions that there was a sprinkler between my ball and the intended line. I either play above it or below it if I really want to putt or I'll belly a hybrid and chip with it (gets rolling quickly).

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Before I kept a handicap my buddies and I had all sorts of uniquely local rules:

• 1st hole the HTH (hit until you're happy). Only the last one counts.
  • White stakes, Red stakes...didn't matter. Just be sure you drop far enough away from the hazard that you have a clean next shot. Worse still....my buddy never even took a penalty stroke. EVERYTHING is a free drop.
  • No drop area on a water carry...no problem, drop wherever it's convenient.
  • Fall conditions, or thick rough...apply the LIP rule (lost in play). Drop in the general area, no penalty stroke.

At my club we do play preferred fairway lies (6 inches) in most leagues and less casual tournaments. Not positive, but I believe the Club Championship is play it as it lies.

The gimme example is misleading. In match play you are allowed to concede putts (not quite the same as giving it to yourself), so if you're playing a match (which most rounds in this country are), gimmes are fine. Where thinks get a little tricky is guys who give putts longer than they probably should. Sometimes it's to keep things moving, other times it could be to help keep an opponent's handicap as low as possible for next time.

I'm surprised the original article didn't mention illegal drops. I'm not talking about the where, but rather the how. You've got the tossers, and the spinners, and all sorts of other tricks guys have learned that help get a better lie out of the drop.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

In this area most of the ob are marked as a lateral to speed up pace of play. One course I play at has a local rule that permits you a free drop if you are on pine tree roots the same rule allows you to lift your ball with no penality to check for roots I have no problem with any of those rules especially the tree root rule Like I tell some of the vacationers I play with You are on vacation having a good time no one wants to see you break your wrist

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

WOW started reading and thought I better start this reply before I forgot ALL the numbers :)

3,4,9,10 when I play alone

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

3 Preferred lies in the fairway, especially with the construction at my club right now.

4 Don't damage a club on the rocks.

6 My regular weekend group played the "Gigging rule." This actually started back in 1984 when they started playing together. At the time none of them could break 100. They played once a week, and the "gigging rule" was if you can find your ball, no matter where it is then you could bring it back and put it in play with no penalty. A couple of months ago, I finally got them to recognize water hazards and out of bounds, but as a compromise they play OB as a lateral hazard.

8 We play a quota system so anything over a double bogey you can pick up. I happen to play them all out because I am almost alway putting for at least bogey. I will say that I played a couple of weeks ago with guys that did not do this. They were carding 10's and 12's every hole. I was making 3, 4, & 5s mostly and sometimes waited 10 minutes between shots. I was playing with them to work on my focus. It took over 3 hours to play 9 holes.

9 It is common to hit two of the first tee in all the groups I play with. Even during some tournaments.

10 Competitors often conceed putts that are technically not gimme's. Especially when I am putting well.

So that is it for me. It is funny some of these, like teeing up in front of the markers are absolute sacralige, but the foot wedge is an excepted part of the game.

I will also say, that one group I play with only allows moving off of rocks not roots, etc... and two off the first tee.

I'm not talking about taking legal relief, I'm talking about having a sprinkler between your ball and the hole, not affecting the lie or stance and you move your ball to the side, so you can putt instead of having to chip over the sprinkler.

Funny story about taking advantage of the rules. A few years ago, playing in a tournament, one of my competitors hit one about 320 off the tee on a par 5. His ball was in the center of the fairway, but down in a little "bowl". He was close enough to the 200 yard marker that he pulled out his driver and reached as far as he could, with his heals on the 200 yard marker. He was given relief, got his ball out of the "bowl" in the fairway and made an eagle. Seeing him take that stance was pretty hilarious (and ridiculous), but he got away with it.

You know earlier this year Phil Mickelson used the burrowing animal rule to get free releif from the Out of Bounds fence at Pebble Beach and ended up winning the tournament a few days later. Those damned rules can cost you strokes but you can also you them to your advantage sometimes.

Speaking of the original post and rules broken. I saw one yesterday in my round. There were more than one, actually, but one made me snicker. First hole of the day and a guy that plays with us on occasion (there were only 3 of us Saturday due to my uncle and the 72 year old guy that normally plays with us having obligations). So the other member brings a friend of his that has played with us before. My friend hits his tee ball and it's a duck hook into the woods (first hole is a dogleg left that you have 225 through the fairway, so he's trying to hit a smooth 3 wood with a slight draw and waaaaaay over cooks it. His friend is up next, he hits and does the same thing, hook city into the woods. I start walking to the tee for my opportunity at following those two disasters when he plops a ball out of his pocket and swings about as soon as it hits the ground, nearly knocking me over. I jump back (he hosel rockets it because I distract him by moving out of the way of his tomahawk swing) and he turns and says "what are you doing? The first one was a breakfast ball." I've seen and heard the term thousands of times before but never been a near casualty due to one. I simply shake it off and tell him we don't play breakfast balls in our foursome and to please get off the tee before he kills me with that violent swing. We all have a laugh, and I manage to hit the fairway (barely) with a cut that was supposed to start at the tree at the left edge of the dogleg and draw. Got away with it, but that was the start of an interesting round.

In The Bag

It's funny, but one of the groups I play with regularly will play second ball from the 1st tee on one course, and that course only, because it does not have a full driving range, just a net to hit into. But we generally sit back and let the rules czar in the group ( the guy that will call others out on rules ) dictate if someone should "reload" :D

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

It's funny, but one of the groups I play with regularly will play second ball from the 1st tee on one course, and that course only, because it does not have a full driving range, just a net to hit into. But we generally sit back and let the rules czar in the group ( the guy that will call others out on rules ) dictate if someone should "reload" :D

I don't care if people take a breakfast ball, it was funny to us because he had no warning, just plopped a ball out and took another hack at it. Had I known he was going to do that, I'd have said nothing. I guess it was just instinct he did it. He's played with us 10-12 times in the last 2 years or so so I knew him and he knew I was being a smarta$$ because he almost hit me.

In The Bag

I nearly broke my hand hitting from a tree root, so I am guilty of #4. The local rule that follows me wherever I go: if a player is in danger of hurting himself or his equipment, he gets free relief. Other than that, we stick to the rules. If its a tournament, I'll take an unplayable.

I've converted a few people using the logic "yes, you got terribly unlucky finding that hole, footprint, etc. but its a free pass for the next shot. If you play it well, you overcame an obstacle and pulled off a great shot. If you don't, you already have an excuse. It's a win win

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

The whole "two from the first tee" thing has gotten so out of hand anymore.

I was playing a round by the rules on a busy day at the course. I hit a terrible tee shot abd I had no idea if my first blocked cut right was in play in some tall grass, It was not marked anything you could see that much from the tee. I let the others in my group tee off and I got another ball put it on a tee and as I started my pre-shot routine when I hear the starter go "We would prefer if you didn't hit a mulligan off the first tee as we are extremely busy today." I stopped my routine turned to the starter and went "it is not a mulligan it is a provisional, I have no idea if my first is in play. There is a huge difference between them."

The groups stacked up behind me started laughing a little and the starter let me continue. Has it really become so much of a social thing that people don't know what the heck a "provisional" is anymore. Long story short I found the first one hacked it out picked up my second tee shot and continued to my first ball that I had just hit across the fairway up a little past my 2nd tee shot.

I nearly broke my hand hitting from a tree root, so I am guilty of #4. The local rule that follows me wherever I go: if a player is in danger of hurting himself or his equipment, he gets free relief. Other than that, we stick to the rules. If its a tournament, I'll take an unplayable.

I've converted a few people using the logic "yes, you got terribly unlucky finding that hole, footprint, etc. but its a free pass for the next shot. If you play it well, you overcame an obstacle and pulled off a great shot. If you don't, you already have an excuse. It's a win win

I've had a few near injury experiences too. Damned near broke my wrist in a bunker than had very shallow sand and my club hung in the black mat underneath.

In The Bag

• SPY VIP

That's basically golf, right?. Sometimes the course is generous, other times it punishes you. It took me a while to learn to just roll with it, but now that I have, I can mostly maintain an even keel. Some days you hit great shots and end up in horrible places, sometimes bad shots get great bounces. Accept that it is what it is and move on. It's the only way to survive this game.

I have not only damaged clubs, but also damaged my wrist and was unable to play for a few weeks, had to drop out of a tournament because of rocks and roots.

Today, I played with a guy who had 22 clubs in his bag. He also had that many balls in his pocket because he always hit another one after he screwed up his shot. I did not really pay attention to him, I like using afternoon rounds to play with some hack that does crazy stuff so that I can practice getting in and out of the "zone". Sort of my own PMC course. It really seems to be helping me because in the past I would play by myself and have a great round, play really fast, then get with a group and have them distract me and not play well.

This guy today, I started out seeing how many of the 14 things he did. He did 16 of them.:P I did number 4 once. Actually it was gravel but I did not want to scratch up my "still new looking" Mizunos.

• 9 months later...

From a Facebook friend:

http://www.businessinsider.com/14-ways-people-cheat-at-golf-2012-6

i'll fess up to 5,6,7,9,10 and 12...

I have definitely done the foot wedge and the mulligan. I look for wayward balls and occasionally do not go back as far as where they crossed to drop. I have done the no worse than triple before, not for a while though. If it is a casual round or "customer golf" then I look the other way sometimes.

Archived