Honest state of the game review

revkev

Hey all - I've only played once in the past month or so due to eyesight issues and now eye surgery.  I have been hitting balls into the net and putting to get used to the Sacks Parente putter that I am testing.  My second surgery is scheduled for next week and I intend to start playing again in earnest the weekend of Dec. 8/9.  I'm anxious to see what it will be like playing golf without needing glasses.  I'm already able to see distances with just the one eye done so the prospects are extremely exciting.  I have ordered a pair of golf sunglasses - my regular glasses transitioned to sunglasses but I suspect this will take some getting used to and I'm truly wondering how 20/20 will impact my ability to read greens, experience distances, see shots land, stuff I have struggled with for some time now.

Additionally, I've been reflecting upon what components made me a very good golfer in the past.  In the end I would say the key to my golf game was always consistency - pull driver or whatever club I was going to hit off the tee, hit it in play, pull my iron for the approach shot, hit it in the middle of the green, two putt and move on - I was always a par making machine.  

The Srixon MK 5's have not worked out for me.  Even though the shaft is the same weight is my Wilson D7 forged the swing weight is much lighter, I can't feel the head at all, it's a big issue. Given what brought me success in the past I'm actually questioning the Player's Distance category and seriously considering moving back into the game improvement category - I've never been a great iron player, not one to work the ball with my irons at all quite honestly - just try to hit it straight and high or occasionally low under the wind when necessary.  I'm also not a high spin player with those clubs so middle of the green works.  

Other than trap shots I've always had a very good short game and need to get back to that.  Wedge has become a huge problem for me this year.  I can't seem to find one that I really like.  Currently I have SCORs in the bag because I'm good with them around the green but I'm very inconsistent on full and part shots with whatever wedge I'm gaming at the time, skulls, chunks, you name it I'm doing it.  I don't know if its an eyesight thing but the more I miss the harder it gets.  I'm going to need to get in some significant practice with those clubs once I get back to playing.

Finally where I play is a point of contention for me.  I like my course but the club is expensive, I don't have a lot of friends there and they have tightened the screws on the number of times that guests, exactly the people whom I like to play with, can play the course.  I'm on the waiting list at a different club - it's not as nice but its not chopped liver either (used to host an LPGA event.)  The set of tees that they play their games from fit my game far better than where I'm at currently and it is a bit closer to my house.

I've always gotten my enjoyment from golf out of being a good player.  Being an okay player is not as appealing to me.  I want to get back to being good again and I think that best way to tackle that is to focus on doing what I do best and steering away from my weaknesses rather than constantly chasing after those.  Consistency has always been my best attribute so I'm going for that again.  

How about you?  Do you ever assess your game this way?

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I've always gotten my enjoyment from golf out of being a good player.  Being an okay player is not as appealing to me.  I want to get back to being good again and I think that best way to tackle that is to focus on doing what I do best and steering away from my weaknesses rather than constantly chasing after those.  Consistency has always been my best attribute so I'm going for that again.

Sorry to hear about your eye issues, hope you have a full recovery.

In 59 years I've never really been any more than an OK player, but I still enjoy golf as much as anyone I know. It can be very "appealing"...😁

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

Eye surgery went great btw - eye member 2 next week. I’m 20/20 in the corrected eye. Thats from 20/400 - around 20/40 corrected - it’s is quite literally a night and day difference. I can more than function without glasses already. 

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67.