RookieBlue7

What ya drinking tonight?

Just a question. Today, I played and drank zero beers. I've played rounds where I've drank a beer a hole. I try to restrict my drinking and playing to temps below 85 degrees. If its above I usually will stick with water. Sure exceptions are made, matter of fact when I go to Tampa in a few weeks I'll likely drink a few while I play with Rev. But that withstanding, my break even outside temp is 85. I wear pants a lot of times when I play and sweat more than most because of that, so I want to make sure I stay hydrated. I've found that there's no real way to say if I play better or worse. I've shot par drinking and I've blown past 90. But theres no regularity to my scores while drinking.

So do you or don't you drink while playing and why or why not? Just curious if others observe the temperature rule. I'm sure we have some that don't drink at all, while on the course or off.

My standard line:

"I take both golf and drinking too seriously to mix the two."

I've never had a drink on the golf course and likely won't change. I get to play so infrequently that I really want to play my best and focus on the game. I enjoy a drink after the round.

I thought it was manditory to drink beer and play golf.:P

Actually, I may or may not drink a beer while playing golf or I may also drink several while playing. It totally depends on the intent of the round. I am going out to have a good time and enjoy the fellowship or am going out to shoot a low round. Not that they are mutually exclusive, I went out today and intended to shoot low, and win, and drink beer, and enjoy the fellowship. I shot a 75 and lost to a guy that I gave 8 strokes and he scored his lifetime best score of 81.

Dehydrates me way to much. I will feel like crap,

Water while I am golfing.

. Sure exceptions are made, matter of fact when I go to Tampa in a few weeks I'll likely drink a few while I play with Rev.

Actually, I should clearify, I normally do not drink beer during the week day rounds because that is when I am actually working on my game. Also, when the temperature is too high I do not because I do not want to die.:rolleyes: But there is a group I play with where the social side is more important to me, eventhough I still try to win.

You say you are going to Tampa and play with Rev. I assume you mean RevKev. I am interested to hear his thoughts on this subject because I think he is a preacher.

Just a question. Today, I played and drank zero beers. I've played rounds where I've drank a beer a hole. I try to restrict my drinking and playing to temps below 85 degrees. If its above I usually will stick with water. Sure exceptions are made, matter of fact when I go to Tampa in a few weeks I'll likely drink a few while I play with Rev. But that withstanding, my break even outside temp is 85. I wear pants a lot of times when I play and sweat more than most because of that, so I want to make sure I stay hydrated. I've found that there's no real way to say if I play better or worse. I've shot par drinking and I've blown past 90. But theres no regularity to my scores while drinking.

So do you or don't you drink while playing and why or why not? Just curious if others observe the temperature rule. I'm sure we have some that don't drink at all, while on the course or off.

I agree about staying off alcohol when the temps are high. It's a diuretic and slogging in the hot sun can be made more difficult with alcohol. These days I think even the sugar drinks are a bad idea. Water appears to be the best thing to take. I could probably enjoy a beer or two if the temps were in the 75's but the norm in my country is 80 and above and that makes alcohol a no no except in the clubhouse.

Shambles

I drink with friends and don't when I am by myself. Maybe I should do this different so I am less upset with myself and when more holes when I'm with my friends.

Actually, I should clearify, I normally do not drink beer during the week day rounds because that is when I am actually working on my game. Also, when the temperature is too high I do not because I do not want to die.:rolleyes: But there is a group I play with where the social side is more important to me, eventhough I still try to win.

You say you are going to Tampa and play with Rev. I assume you mean RevKev. I am interested to here his thoughts on this subject because I think he is a preacher.

He is a preacher. I've known him for a while. Don't think he'll have a problem with it. If so, I won't drink.

For me it depends more on what I need to do after golf than the golf itself. For instance, I have learned that if my wife is working nights and I am staying home with our 16 month old I should not drink on the course. I've learned that if someone in the group gets a hole-in-one I should probably spend the night at my brother-in-laws house instead of waking up my wife and son when I get home and can't make it up the stairs.

So it really depends on the day, sometimes no, most of the time yes.

FWIW I live on the course so I don't have to worry about driving home, which is both a very good thing and sometimes a very bad thing.

I used to drink regularly when I played, beer and golf just went together. The past few years I haven't and now I find that a few beers really effects my game (my fault, I got out of practice!). It throws my timing completely out of whack.

I'll still drink and play occasionally, especially with some old friends where its much more about hanging out than playing well.

Just water for me during the round. Once I'm done, let the alcohol poisoning begin! :lol:

I tried having a couple of beers on the course with high temps, but it dehydrates me badly and headaches start coming out.

When I started golfing 4 years ago it was another excuse to drink outdoors with my buddies. Fast forward 4 years and I take golf too seriously to drink when I play now.

The irony of life.

Stopped drinking altogether in 1997 -- didn't have a problem with booze, but was a tad worried I could be headed in that direction. Tried not drinking for a week, then a month, then 3 months...it turned into a year and at that point it was just easier not to drink at all.

Got terribly dehydrated at a charity event 2 summers ago despite swigging down about 4 large Gatorades -- stuck with water from that point on.

If it's above 80* I'll have one before the round and then I'll bring the remnants with to the course. Other than that it's strictly water. I've wised up though...

I'll tell ya what, my first job as an assistant pro, I used to be a +2 in a 9 hole match-play league when I was 20. The only goal my partner (who was on the board) and I had would be to drink 9 beers for the 9 holes. I once birdied the first five holes and closed my match. You'd think I would've kept going to see if I could "career it" right? Nope. Straight to the 19th hole haha what an idiot i was... That lasted almost the entire summer. That is when he tried to take the cart through a detour route into the parking lot and crashed it sailing him into some rose bushes... Thankfully I wasn't in their with him. I remember his wife calling me at the club the next day saying, "Kyle? This is Mike's Wife blank. He said he got into a fight at the course last night and that the other guy is much worse off than he is. I'm calling to see who the other guy was and how he's doing." Me- "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

As Rookie well knows I'm not a tee tootler by any stretch - I'm a Lutheran pastor so we do believe in Christian freedom and are fine with alcohol in moderation.

My general rule is that I don't drink when I'm playing competitively. I will have a couple of beers, one a nine, when playing socially - I'll never have more than 3 and rarely that many - you have to drive after finishing the round. I don't care of my playing companions drink althought it's pretty disconcerting if they're drinking and we're playing as partners in a competitive situation. If it's warm I always alternate between water and beer - I'm pretty used to warm weather living in Florida so it really doesn't bother me.

I'm hoping that Rookie and I can play as a team in a two man scramble when he's here - if we do that I won't drink - if we play for fun I will - either way we're going to play one of my favorite tracks - TPC Tampa Bay.

Rev, I think we are going to go ahead and stay till Tuesday. I'll know something tomorrow or the next day. If we do, I'm bringing my LD scramble club, and I may bring it either way, because if I hit my driver like I hit it this past Saturday, I at least will have some fun.

I try to keep it light and only drink one every two holes.

If I'm playing in a scramble and I have a ride, I'll POUND beers; last scramble I played in I drank 18 beers, but it was a packed scramble (36 teams) and it took forever. If I'm playing for money or in a tourney, I save the beer until after the round.

Majority of the time I am playing by myself, I try to get the most out of my game work work on improving my swing something along those lines where focus matters. If I am not working on something playing with friends a lot of times it's for money so that kind of kills the drink and screw off mode. Obviously. I'm not going to be drinking in a tournament. I tend to like to "practice like i would play", even if the round doesn't mean much I try to do well. In this case I'm cool with getting beer after the round.

Only time I drink is during the 4 person scrambles where one team rides together as a group. Meaning the team of 4 can cheat left and right and no one can say any different. I don't mind 2 person best ball type of tournaments as another team is paired with them and keeps them honest. So if it is a charity event or they sell "mulligans, kicks, throws, tosses, etc" then you might as well crack a beer as a serious golfer and go into knowing you won't win without cheating and deep pockets.

I mix it up - some rounds no drinking, some rounds more than I should, some just one - some with a cigar, some with both a cigar and a drink.

I've found it just depends on my round for that day and who I'm playing with.

Some rounds are purely social with friends - those tend to result in more drinks.

I'm ok with one drink any round, more than that requires me not caring as much about the round.

Smoking a cigar can really mess up my game, but if I'm just out for a social round, it's not so bad.