Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What ya drinking tonight?

RookieBlue7

Just a question. Today, I played and drank zero beers. I've played rounds where I've drank a beer a hole. I try to restrict my drinking and playing to temps below 85 degrees. If its above I usually will stick with water. Sure exceptions are made, matter of fact when I go to Tampa in a few weeks I'll likely drink a few while I play with Rev. But that withstanding, my break even outside temp is 85. I wear pants a lot of times when I play and sweat more than most because of that, so I want to make sure I stay hydrated. I've found that there's no real way to say if I play better or worse. I've shot par drinking and I've blown past 90. But theres no regularity to my scores while drinking.

So do you or don't you drink while playing and why or why not? Just curious if others observe the temperature rule. I'm sure we have some that don't drink at all, while on the course or off.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

My standard line:

"I take both golf and drinking too seriously to mix the two."

I've never had a drink on the golf course and likely won't change. I get to play so infrequently that I really want to play my best and focus on the game. I enjoy a drink after the round.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I thought it was manditory to drink beer and play golf.:P

Actually, I may or may not drink a beer while playing golf or I may also drink several while playing. It totally depends on the intent of the round. I am going out to have a good time and enjoy the fellowship or am going out to shoot a low round. Not that they are mutually exclusive, I went out today and intended to shoot low, and win, and drink beer, and enjoy the fellowship. I shot a 75 and lost to a guy that I gave 8 strokes and he scored his lifetime best score of 81.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Dehydrates me way to much. I will feel like crap,

Water while I am golfing.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

. Sure exceptions are made, matter of fact when I go to Tampa in a few weeks I'll likely drink a few while I play with Rev.

Actually, I should clearify, I normally do not drink beer during the week day rounds because that is when I am actually working on my game. Also, when the temperature is too high I do not because I do not want to die.:rolleyes: But there is a group I play with where the social side is more important to me, eventhough I still try to win.

You say you are going to Tampa and play with Rev. I assume you mean RevKev. I am interested to hear his thoughts on this subject because I think he is a preacher.

Just a question. Today, I played and drank zero beers. I've played rounds where I've drank a beer a hole. I try to restrict my drinking and playing to temps below 85 degrees. If its above I usually will stick with water. Sure exceptions are made, matter of fact when I go to Tampa in a few weeks I'll likely drink a few while I play with Rev. But that withstanding, my break even outside temp is 85. I wear pants a lot of times when I play and sweat more than most because of that, so I want to make sure I stay hydrated. I've found that there's no real way to say if I play better or worse. I've shot par drinking and I've blown past 90. But theres no regularity to my scores while drinking.

So do you or don't you drink while playing and why or why not? Just curious if others observe the temperature rule. I'm sure we have some that don't drink at all, while on the course or off.

I agree about staying off alcohol when the temps are high. It's a diuretic and slogging in the hot sun can be made more difficult with alcohol. These days I think even the sugar drinks are a bad idea. Water appears to be the best thing to take. I could probably enjoy a beer or two if the temps were in the 75's but the norm in my country is 80 and above and that makes alcohol a no no except in the clubhouse.

Shambles

I drink with friends and don't when I am by myself. Maybe I should do this different so I am less upset with myself and when more holes when I'm with my friends.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Actually, I should clearify, I normally do not drink beer during the week day rounds because that is when I am actually working on my game. Also, when the temperature is too high I do not because I do not want to die.:rolleyes: But there is a group I play with where the social side is more important to me, eventhough I still try to win.

You say you are going to Tampa and play with Rev. I assume you mean RevKev. I am interested to here his thoughts on this subject because I think he is a preacher.

He is a preacher. I've known him for a while. Don't think he'll have a problem with it. If so, I won't drink.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

For me it depends more on what I need to do after golf than the golf itself. For instance, I have learned that if my wife is working nights and I am staying home with our 16 month old I should not drink on the course. I've learned that if someone in the group gets a hole-in-one I should probably spend the night at my brother-in-laws house instead of waking up my wife and son when I get home and can't make it up the stairs.

So it really depends on the day, sometimes no, most of the time yes.

FWIW I live on the course so I don't have to worry about driving home, which is both a very good thing and sometimes a very bad thing.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I used to drink regularly when I played, beer and golf just went together. The past few years I haven't and now I find that a few beers really effects my game (my fault, I got out of practice!). It throws my timing completely out of whack.

I'll still drink and play occasionally, especially with some old friends where its much more about hanging out than playing well.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Just water for me during the round. Once I'm done, let the alcohol poisoning begin! :lol:

I tried having a couple of beers on the course with high temps, but it dehydrates me badly and headaches start coming out.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

When I started golfing 4 years ago it was another excuse to drink outdoors with my buddies. Fast forward 4 years and I take golf too seriously to drink when I play now.

The irony of life.

What's my Handicap? Just look in my Golf Bag. Every club in there is my handicap.

Stopped drinking altogether in 1997 -- didn't have a problem with booze, but was a tad worried I could be headed in that direction. Tried not drinking for a week, then a month, then 3 months...it turned into a year and at that point it was just easier not to drink at all.

Got terribly dehydrated at a charity event 2 summers ago despite swigging down about 4 large Gatorades -- stuck with water from that point on.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

If it's above 80* I'll have one before the round and then I'll bring the remnants with to the course. Other than that it's strictly water. I've wised up though...

I'll tell ya what, my first job as an assistant pro, I used to be a +2 in a 9 hole match-play league when I was 20. The only goal my partner (who was on the board) and I had would be to drink 9 beers for the 9 holes. I once birdied the first five holes and closed my match. You'd think I would've kept going to see if I could "career it" right? Nope. Straight to the 19th hole haha what an idiot i was... That lasted almost the entire summer. That is when he tried to take the cart through a detour route into the parking lot and crashed it sailing him into some rose bushes... Thankfully I wasn't in their with him. I remember his wife calling me at the club the next day saying, "Kyle? This is Mike's Wife blank. He said he got into a fight at the course last night and that the other guy is much worse off than he is. I'm calling to see who the other guy was and how he's doing." Me- "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

As Rookie well knows I'm not a tee tootler by any stretch - I'm a Lutheran pastor so we do believe in Christian freedom and are fine with alcohol in moderation.

My general rule is that I don't drink when I'm playing competitively. I will have a couple of beers, one a nine, when playing socially - I'll never have more than 3 and rarely that many - you have to drive after finishing the round. I don't care of my playing companions drink althought it's pretty disconcerting if they're drinking and we're playing as partners in a competitive situation. If it's warm I always alternate between water and beer - I'm pretty used to warm weather living in Florida so it really doesn't bother me.

I'm hoping that Rookie and I can play as a team in a two man scramble when he's here - if we do that I won't drink - if we play for fun I will - either way we're going to play one of my favorite tracks - TPC Tampa Bay.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev, I think we are going to go ahead and stay till Tuesday. I'll know something tomorrow or the next day. If we do, I'm bringing my LD scramble club, and I may bring it either way, because if I hit my driver like I hit it this past Saturday, I at least will have some fun.

In The Bag

Majority of the time I am playing by myself, I try to get the most out of my game work work on improving my swing something along those lines where focus matters. If I am not working on something playing with friends a lot of times it's for money so that kind of kills the drink and screw off mode. Obviously. I'm not going to be drinking in a tournament. I tend to like to "practice like i would play", even if the round doesn't mean much I try to do well. In this case I'm cool with getting beer after the round.

Only time I drink is during the 4 person scrambles where one team rides together as a group. Meaning the team of 4 can cheat left and right and no one can say any different. I don't mind 2 person best ball type of tournaments as another team is paired with them and keeps them honest. So if it is a charity event or they sell "mulligans, kicks, throws, tosses, etc" then you might as well crack a beer as a serious golfer and go into knowing you won't win without cheating and deep pockets.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I mix it up - some rounds no drinking, some rounds more than I should, some just one - some with a cigar, some with both a cigar and a drink.

I've found it just depends on my round for that day and who I'm playing with.

Some rounds are purely social with friends - those tend to result in more drinks.

I'm ok with one drink any round, more than that requires me not caring as much about the round.

Smoking a cigar can really mess up my game, but if I'm just out for a social round, it's not so bad.

Rookie let me know ASAP - I think it would be the bomb to play in a two man together - we should be ideal as a team.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As a slight thread jack, I have found that drinking and typing on the forum causes me more difficultly than drinking and golfing. I have come home and written some wonderful expose's here on this site. Luckily for all concerned, I have not sent most of them, I recall one I wrote to RookieBlue7 about putters back in February that did not get posted. But it was alcohol fueled and we would still be talking about it. :lol: But I was over it the next morning and really glad I had not sent it. I read it to my wife and she said I could not send it.:P

Favorite on course beverage, of the adult variety?

Weird thing is, Summer, I think Natural Light is the most refreshing beer I ever drink on the course!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Favorite on course beverage, of the adult variety?

Weird thing is, Summer, I think Natural Light is the most refreshing beer I ever drink on the course!

I hope you are kidding, although the city courses have Keystone on draft for $1, so I drink it after a round. My favorite would have to be the Leine Summer Shandy, it is very refreshing.

• SPY VIP

I hope you are kidding, although the city courses have Keystone on draft for $1, so I drink it after a round. My favorite would have to be the Leine Summer Shandy, it is very refreshing.

John never jokes about the Natty Lite B)

I think that I am with Tim on the beer perspective, although sadly many of my social round friends are tied up in family, t-ball, and other things that have kept them away from Friday Golf/Happy Hour with the boys. So sad when real life gets in the way :unsure:

Most of the time these days I play as a single or in the morning with a friend. Not really the beer time there for me. That's why we only drink fine malt liquor for those rounds. Don't let the smooth taste fool you. ;)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

For me, it often depends upon the time of the round.

Early morning, I truly enjoy a bloody mary to start the round, and then water or fruit juice for the rest of the round. Yes, I have been known to steal bottles of my daughters Libby's Juicy Juice (strawberry kiwi is a particular favorite), toss some ice in the cooler, drink the bloody mary, refill with water on the course, drink the water, top off the ice and drink juice the rest of the round.

Hot afternoon round, it's hard to argue with a mexican beer on the back nine, with water before and after. On exceptionally hot days, a bit of sports drink of choice to recover the salt and basic minerals.

Evening rounds? something sweet. Again fruit juices, though in the evenings, I prefer more citrus flavors. If I want the alcohol, this is a good time for a texas margarita, or perhaps just a splash of alcohol in the juice, but again, just one and water to follow.

Understand though, I no longer drive a car, I gave mine to my daughter to use. My Vespa(s) are my ride to and from the course, and alcohol and two wheels are a serious no go. So always in limited quantities, and never with less than hour of golf between me and the ride home.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I like Miller Lite aluminum bottles on the course. That way if someone hits a bump in the cart there's no risk of spilling any beer lol.

In The Bag