Testers Wanted: Star Grips! ×

Great article on bounce

Javs

Good read!  My bag consists of several different bounces and I have a couple extras sitting in the office for when the course tends to be softer.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Good read!  My bag consists of several different bounces and I have a couple extras sitting in the office for when the course tends to be softer.  

I agree and set up the same. I have a closet full of wedges and various bounces. 

Play like a champion today!

Good article.  I only play 3 wedges and one is my 48º PW from my MacGregor iron set.  I think it has about 6º of bounce.  My Callaway PM Grind 54º has 14º bounce and my Callaway 60º has 12º bounce.  I do not have any problem hitting either one on our very firm turf or from turf in AZ or Palm Springs.  That might be because I have practiced a lot with them and my wedge swing has adapted to it.  I haven't really had the opportunity to play in soft conditions so I don't know if I have the ability to adapt to it very quickly.

Monte has a video where he hit a 60º wedge with 14º bounce off a concrete cart path as a demonstration for hitting out of hard pan bunkers.  It's a matter of managing speed and acceleration.  He suggests that high bounce wedges have more versatility, but if you play courses with very different conditions, go ahead and play different wedges.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I personally keep going back and forth on the benefit of bounce.   Bounce is probably good for amateurs with poor short games.  Watching recent content from James Ridyard, Adam Young, and Joe Mayo I've learned that there is a lot more to these shots than just "use the bounce".  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG