TESTERS WANTED! ×

Instinct Putting

RoverRick

I tried this last night in a tune & tweak round. The course was wide open, and the playing partner for the evening was also just out there to get some swings in and to tinker with some things.

Short version, I can see where the benefit lies. I found the looking at the hole I was consistently putting with the right speed and was 'close' on the angles, but holed very few of the long variety (over 10 feet), Inside 10 feet, I found that I was holing them consistently, but no more so than normal.

However, I found an interesting tidbit. I have always depended upon my peripheral vision to supplement my rather poor straight ahead vision. Inside 10 feet, I found that using IP was very difficult because I could see both at the same time. Anyways, for me it was a fun experiment, but I feel more comfortable and consistent with the longer putts looking at what I am doing, not where I am going

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I tried this last night in a tune & tweak round. The course was wide open, and the playing partner for the evening was also just out there to get some swings in and to tinker with some things.

Short version, I can see where the benefit lies. I found the looking at the hole I was consistently putting with the right speed and was 'close' on the angles, but holed very few of the long variety (over 10 feet), Inside 10 feet, I found that I was holing them consistently, but no more so than normal.

However, I found an interesting tidbit. I have always depended upon my peripheral vision to supplement my rather poor straight ahead vision. Inside 10 feet, I found that using IP was very difficult because I could see both at the same time. Anyways, for me it was a fun experiment, but I feel more comfortable and consistent with the longer putts looking at what I am doing, not where I am going

I too initially found it great on the longer putts, but not on short ones. It is the focus on the hole thing that it really go good. I try to pick a blade of grass at the back of the cup to focus on.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I have been reading this thread for the past few days and decided to give IPM a shot on the practice green today. I have to say that I definitely didn't putt any worse, and did notice that my distance control on long putts was pretty good. I can totally understand the "keeping focus on the hole" because on a few I started thinking about how hard to hit the ball and blasted it 8 feet by.

One of the main problems was consistent contact, as could probably be expected at first. RR, was there any tips on making good contact while doing this besides just continued practice? I found that when I was on top of the ball (eyes over ball) my contact was a bit better than my normal eyes over heel of putter stance. I am also using a Bettinardi BC2 right now and wonder if going back to my Heavy Putter mallet may be a good idea (seems more forgiving).

I can't say that this was a breakthrough for me, but the way I have been putting for the last year I am willing to try this for a month or so to see if I can improve. Great thread and great insight on this method RR.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

Practice, focus, practice, focus, practice on focusing and focus on practicing. Of course, if you do that then any putting method works.;)

I found that the putter made no real difference. I stopped at Golfsmiths Monday and used 40 different putters of all size and shapes.

I did not putt as well today as I have been. This was more of a focus issue today. I had a couple of three putts and some missed short putts but in every case it was definately lack of focus more than any other issue.

I always used to be an instinct putter. I got away from that when I had an instructer frient working with me some. He got me too mechanical and that is when I started having bad putting problems. I even putted with a broomhandle for 2 years. Another friend of mine remarked i was always a instinct putter and what in the heck was going on with me. I backed off and punted as they say and went back to my old way of thinking and also went back to a conventional length putter. Now a year later I am putting good again. I guess it is the mental side of things

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have a new putter that will be here tomorrow. I am getting a Scotty Cameron Squareback. I am on record as saying that when I am putting well, using this method it does not matter what putter I use. Last week I went to Golfsmiths and hit all kinds of putters. I have been putting extremely well lately, with the exception of Saturday, and I did not putt badly, I could not hit a fairway or a green and most of the time I was making a par or bogey putt from far away.

The problem is that eventhough I am putting well, I am not comfortable with the putters that I have. The putter I most often use is too heavy to get feel, another one the comes off so hot that I scared to death of it on fast down hill putts, and the third, which I like a lot, leaves black marks on my shirt.

Yeah, I know, what difference does it make if my shirt gets dirty playing golf. I am sweating anyway, its not like I am going to wear it the same shirt again with out washing it, I usually have dirt streaks on my shorts from wiping mud off the ball, but black rings on my belly are distracting to me. I am still losing weight and am not near as big as I used to be but I am probably more sensitive now about my belly that I was 50 lbs ago.

So when I saw I could get a good deal on the Squareback than I jumped at it. The Squareback it more of a center balanced putter than most Scotties so that fits my game better than the Newports, or Anser type putter.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I don't think much of the 'science" in the book Instinct Putting, and also don't think you really have to KEEP aiming the face at the hole while making the stroke to benefit. The science says bad golfers get less bad, but does not address or discuss the science of how the brain works for distance control. All the chit-chat about shooting basketballs and stuff doesn't translate into swiping a ball across a green over breaking contour and differing green speeds to a target distance. there is nada in the book about how that works.

Do you need to STAY facing the target to get the benefit? No. Brain science basically says space intentionality tunes the body to protect against possible injury from collision with objects at the target space, like a wall. In putting, what really matters is intentionality to the space, and it helps if you imagine a possible collision with some sort of wall about 2' behind the hole, as that prevents going long, and paradoxically then translates everything into smoothly going all the way safely to the hole. "Facing" the hole is done by everyone who putts; the book Instinct Putting claims a special benefit from STAYING facing the hole while making the stroke, but offers zero science or even a credible explanation for how that might work, when what really happens is bad golfers get less bad. To get GOOD at distance control, focus on the intentionality NOT to go too far past the hole AND also to go all the way safely and smoothly to the hole, and then the body is tuned and does the right force. That's actually how basketball free-throw shooting works: see the back board and the rim and don't go too long an d then go all the way. No, you don't have to STAY facing the target, as the tuning of the body persists for quite a long period of time, so long as you remain on task to get a good result.

Geoff Mangum

Personally, I don't think much of the 'science" in the book Instinct Putting, and also don't think you really have to KEEP aiming the face at the hole while making the stroke to benefit. The science says bad golfers get less bad, but does not address or discuss the science of how the brain works for distance control. All the chit-chat about shooting basketballs and stuff doesn't translate into swiping a ball across a green over breaking contour and differing green speeds to a target distance. there is nada in the book about how that works.

Do you need to STAY facing the target to get the benefit? No. Brain science basically says space intentionality tunes the body to protect against possible injury from collision with objects at the target space, like a wall. In putting, what really matters is intentionality to the space, and it helps if you imagine a possible collision with some sort of wall about 2' behind the hole, as that prevents going long, and paradoxically then translates everything into smoothly going all the way safely to the hole. "Facing" the hole is done by everyone who putts; the book Instinct Putting claims a special benefit from STAYING facing the hole while making the stroke, but offers zero science or even a credible explanation for how that might work, when what really happens is bad golfers get less bad. To get GOOD at distance control, focus on the intentionality NOT to go too far past the hole AND also to go all the way safely and smoothly to the hole, and then the body is tuned and does the right force. That's actually how basketball free-throw shooting works: see the back board and the rim and don't go too long an d then go all the way. No, you don't have to STAY facing the target, as the tuning of the body persists for quite a long period of time, so long as you remain on task to get a good result.

Geoff Mangum

Well, Geoff welcome to the forum. I will not argue the merits of making free throws. I have not made one since 1982. But I will say that whatever the science behind this works for me. My handicap has dropped about 4 strokes in month since I started this thread. Initially, I kept track of the stats on putting and I think 144 holes without a three putt is pretty serious putting. Also, I went that many holes without missing a 3 footer. I think both strings were broken about the same time. I also have had a couple of weeks where I did not make any long putts but found out it was the stroke not the method. I figured that out and have been putting great with this method.

I am not real sure what you mean by facing the target. I have a fairly normal putting stance, the only thing is I am looking at the hole, while adjusting the aim of the putter face, once I feel it is right, I putt while still looking at the hole. My competitors hate this method of putting. They b itch ed about it several times today. I made six long birdie putts, I actually had more birdies than pars today, but plenty of bogies and doubles also, but not the putters fault. Several times they remarked that they think I should look at the ball and not the hole. I guess I should say that I did win today.

I liken it to shooting a shotgun at birds. I do not look at the sights, I look where I want the pellets to go. Same thing applies here. And it certainly works for me. It might not for you but it is not a question of the science behind it. It is a question of how your hand and eye cordination work. In my case, this works.

By the way, I used this method of putting for three years until November, when I went away from it. I started back and did not even know about the book until last month. I bought the book and just skimmed over parts of it to see if it is what I did. It is, however, I have not had a problem putting since I bought the book so I am not going to read it and have it possibly cause conflicting thoughts in my head.

Last weekend, when I could not make a putt, that was not totally true. I could not make a birdie putt and burned the edges like 12 to 14 times. I remember that one day I had 16 second putts that were less than a foot. That is not really a putting problem. That is more of a luck problem than poor putting. It was frustrating but more so because I shot a 73 when I could have easily been in the 60's with just a little luck.

• 1 month later...

I got the book today, Instinct Putting, and gave it a quick look through. This is the method that I use and have for years. The general premise is that you need to focus on the target not the ball. When throwing a basket ball or football you do not look at your hand to make sure you release it properly. Hockey players look at the goal or the spot they are hitting the puck to. They also point out that if you are focused intently on the hole, than you are not able to worry about all the other crap that goes with a putting stroke.

I started doing this a couple of years ago and have been known as one of the better putters at the club. However, I was easily distracted, lost my concentration and began missing lots of short putts. Like an idiot, I decided that I would go to a mallet style putter, Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball, and this would solve all my problems. I began to have distance control problems with it, and then when my back became a serious issue I went to a long putter, Scotty Cameron Big Sur, and a totally different putting style six months ago.

Now that I have the proper shafts in my irons, and my GIR is way up, it really spotlighted my putting. Which has been degenerating for the past few months. The last two weeks especially. Last weekend, I hit like 14 GIR and shot an 86. It was infuriating. I decided that my problems began when I went to the new putter and new putting system. So I was going back to the method that I now know as instinct putting.

Wow. First off I had to get the right putter so I got the old putter out, Odyssey White Hot Mid, modified the shaft so it is belly putter, which it was originally, but I cut it down. I spent a couple of hours fitting it so that it was comfortable and the proper length for me. Then practiced it here in the living room. I also modified my game strategy based on the fact that I was confident that I could putt the ball into the hole.

Instinct Putting is not for everyone, and they say that in the book. If you are narrow minded and do not expect good results, than do not bother. But it is based on that you 3 putt not because you miss read the break by 5 or 6 feet but because you are short or long by that much. By focusing on the target, you end up much closer to the hole on the first putt and have an easy second putt.

It is true. But you must FOCUS on the hole. Today I had two 60 foot putts. The first one, on hole 6, one of my competitors had a 3 foot birdie putt. As we were walking to the green, I was ribbing him about me making the long putt and making his 3 footer turn into seemingly a 12 footer.

The day before we were on 11 and he had a 5 footer for birdie and I had a 40 footer. Right over his line. I told him to pay attention to my ball because he was going to need the line. I sunk the putt and left him so shook up he missed. I was determined to do it again. I made the putt but so did he. But in both instances I focused intently on the hole and nothing else. Two holes later on 8 I had another long putt. I was thinking about how hard I had to hit the ball, not the hole and came up 15 feet short. I was very mad at myself, but I then focused on just the hole and made the 15 footer. I also had a long one on 7 that I did not make but left it 2 feet left of the hole. Because I was focused.

Many people say that they can not look at the hole and hit the ball. BS. The ball is not going anywhere, and it becomes second nature. It is sort of strange at first, and sometimes, I hit the putt and think, where are you going, I wanted to go left, and then the ball starts to break and goes in or near the hole. Sort of like throwing a ball in the wind. You look at the green and say that the ball has to go into the hole at the 7 o'clock position, and then look at and focus on the hole and the ball goes there.

It is like Instinct Shooting. You do not look at the sites of the gun to shoot skeet. Same thing here.

I have experimented some with chipping this way also. It is a little bit trickier but I am going to work on it this week and report back.

Thanks for the great post. I too have been having some putting issues and found a similar solution in Dave Stockton's new book Unconscious Putting. His focus however, is not on the hole or the ball, but on the line. He encourages readers to study the green, find the correct line to the hole and then focus on the line. Forget the ball, just align the clubface square to the line and putt away with confidence. Since reading his book I've pretty much eliminated 3 putts, and more often than not end up with 1 putts or a few 2. Good read.

Pat Mullaly

Editor, GolfGurls.com

The Resource Site for Today's Woman Golfer

http://www.golfgurls.com

FREE E-Book - WIN THE WAGER: Golf Tournament Formats For Fun & Profit

Fun formts for 1,2,3 or 4 players / Great ideas for league tournaments, corporate outings and special events

Vist http://www.golfgurls.com, subscribe and download your FREE copy.

Thanks for the great post. I too have been having some putting issues and found a similar solution in Dave Stockton's new book Unconscious Putting. His focus however, is not on the hole or the ball, but on the line. He encourages readers to study the green, find the correct line to the hole and then focus on the line. Forget the ball, just align the clubface square to the line and putt away with confidence. Since reading his book I've pretty much eliminated 3 putts, and more often than not end up with 1 putts or a few 2. Good read.

Thank you GG. First off glad to have you on the site and glad to hear from you. I slipped over and read a couple of your topics on golfgurls and enjoyed them a lot. I especially liked the one about beginner ignoring the rules of golf. I admit I had been playing for years before I found out that Mulligans were not really part of golf.:mellow:

As far as Instinct Putting goes it is really just looking at the hole. I still have a hard time just letting go and trusting my instincts and not trying to figure out exactly what the ball is going to do. On Monday, they aerated the greens, so they are not the best yet. On Wednesday, I had the best iron and driving day of my life and shot a lifetime low. But on Thursday and Friday, my back issues came back and I did not play well.

I figured out late in the round yesterday, that I was fighting my putting stroke and using the wrong putter, so today my goal was to look at the hole and point and shoot and not worry about the outcome. I had a bad day tee to green, just 7 fairways, and 3 GIR, but I had just 24 putts, and shot a 75. My putting was amazing and the six putts that did not go in almost did. Two actually were 180 degree lip outs.

I think we get too wrapped up in what the putt is going to do and talk ourselves out of making a lot of them. Or at least I think I do.

Well, I have to go see what stupid mistake every golfer should never make.

• 8 months later...

I got the book today, Instinct Putting, and gave it a quick look through. This is the method that I use and have for years. The general premise is that you need to focus on the target not the ball. When throwing a basket ball or football you do not look at your hand to make sure you release it properly. Hockey players look at the goal or the spot they are hitting the puck to. They also point out that if you are focused intently on the hole, than you are not able to worry about all the other crap that goes with a putting stroke.

I started doing this a couple of years ago and have been known as one of the better putters at the club. However, I was easily distracted, lost my concentration and began missing lots of short putts. Like an idiot, I decided that I would go to a mallet style putter, Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball, and this would solve all my problems. I began to have distance control problems with it, and then when my back became a serious issue I went to a long putter, Scotty Cameron Big Sur, and a totally different putting style six months ago.

Now that I have the proper shafts in my irons, and my GIR is way up, it really spotlighted my putting. Which has been degenerating for the past few months. The last two weeks especially. Last weekend, I hit like 14 GIR and shot an 86. It was infuriating. I decided that my problems began when I went to the new putter and new putting system. So I was going back to the method that I now know as instinct putting.

Wow. First off I had to get the right putter so I got the old putter out, Odyssey White Hot Mid, modified the shaft so it is belly putter, which it was originally, but I cut it down. I spent a couple of hours fitting it so that it was comfortable and the proper length for me. Then practiced it here in the living room. I also modified my game strategy based on the fact that I was confident that I could putt the ball into the hole.

Instinct Putting is not for everyone, and they say that in the book. If you are narrow minded and do not expect good results, than do not bother. But it is based on that you 3 putt not because you miss read the break by 5 or 6 feet but because you are short or long by that much. By focusing on the target, you end up much closer to the hole on the first putt and have an easy second putt.

It is true. But you must FOCUS on the hole. Today I had two 60 foot putts. The first one, on hole 6, one of my competitors had a 3 foot birdie putt. As we were walking to the green, I was ribbing him about me making the long putt and making his 3 footer turn into seemingly a 12 footer.

The day before we were on 11 and he had a 5 footer for birdie and I had a 40 footer. Right over his line. I told him to pay attention to my ball because he was going to need the line. I sunk the putt and left him so shook up he missed. I was determined to do it again. I made the putt but so did he. But in both instances I focused intently on the hole and nothing else. Two holes later on 8 I had another long putt. I was thinking about how hard I had to hit the ball, not the hole and came up 15 feet short. I was very mad at myself, but I then focused on just the hole and made the 15 footer. I also had a long one on 7 that I did not make but left it 2 feet left of the hole. Because I was focused.

Many people say that they can not look at the hole and hit the ball. BS. The ball is not going anywhere, and it becomes second nature. It is sort of strange at first, and sometimes, I hit the putt and think, where are you going, I wanted to go left, and then the ball starts to break and goes in or near the hole. Sort of like throwing a ball in the wind. You look at the green and say that the ball has to go into the hole at the 7 o'clock position, and then look at and focus on the hole and the ball goes there.

It is like Instinct Shooting. You do not look at the sites of the gun to shoot skeet. Same thing here.

I have experimented some with chipping this way also. It is a little bit trickier but I am going to work on it this week and report back.

Thank you for posting this ... one of my greatest problems is putting ... Oh sure I can put when I'm playing by myself but my problem is when I play with others especially for Money and then its like I have the Yips!! .. I'm going to get that book it sounds very logical and I'm so desperate to change my putting stroke.

DRIVER Nike Corvert [9.5°] R-Flex (Won in Fantasy Game)

Fairway Driver (No Name) Flex ? Better than a 3 wood anyday

Callaway RAZR X Iron 5 to PW R Flex

Callaway Hydrid X Hot 3 & 4

Titliest 910 5 Wood

No Name Sand Wedge

Putter - Tour Select\

Shoes Callaway RAZR Black

Ball Callaway Type (Relevant to weather)

Special Note: New Nike Driver Won thegolfspace.com Callaway Irons & Shoes won in a online Fantasy Game,!, Putter bought at Salvation Army 1.99. Sand Wedge Free. Fairway Drivers Salvation Army 5.00 ...Overall cost 6.99 for everything.

Archived