Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cleveland Classsic vs. R11s

HighFade

I decided it's time to get with the new century and start looking at a new driver.

I am playing the R9 right now, and while I'm not in love with it, it generally does the job. I've hit the R11s a couple times, and really liked the trajectory and feel. But I went to the store yesterday with an open mind. I tend to spin the ball too much, so I told the guy there I wanted a low trajectory, low spin driver. He made a beeline towards the Cleveland rack. Honestly, I've never played a Cleveland product other than the wedges, and never would have given it a try.

He had me hit the 9° Classic 290. It felt great, and I loved the super light shaft (43grams!!). It was very light, but not whippy at all. Looking at the numbers, my spin rate was lowered from 3300 to about 2900. But my launch angle was too low, So I went with the 10°. Got my numbers to 12° launch, 2900 spin rate, with swing speed of 110.

I didn't want to just try the one, so I hit pretty much all the name brands. The R11s was by far the best. It had almost identical numbers to the Cleveland, except the Cleveland was about 5 yards longer.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'd have to find something amazing to change my mind.

And it's $100 cheaper than the R11s.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Didja try the R11? They can be had for around $200 now, leaving you some cash to pick up a low spin shaft if you wanted too.

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I tried the Classic 12* with a stiff stock shaft and I have to say it was pretty amazing, at least on the monitor. Far far better than the R11 in every respect. Love that the shaft on the 290 is going back down to 45.25 as well. I really like the CGBlack I am playing now, but the Classic is pretty tempting.

Its a sold choice I think could easily end up as one of those classic drivers like the Rapture V2 that people play for years and years. Plus it's a little unique looking and much 'cooler' than playing a TM driver- if you care about that.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

I'm a bit confused - you said that you wrote that you had similar numbers between the Cleveland and the TM drivers but hit the Cleveland 5 yards farther. Why wouldn't you buy the Cleveland?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Revkev, I'm pretty sure I will get the Cleveland. Honestly, I ripped one about 320 with the Cleveland, so it added a few to the average. Overall, it was VERY close. The $100 difference in price is what did it for me. But the real point to the post is to keep an open mind. The club you might never think of buying may be the best one. Not necessarily what everyone else is getting....

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I have hit both the classic 290 and the R11s. Both perform well. Biggest difference I noticed was that the R11s has a loud snap at impact. The classic when you hit the center of the club face, is a much duller sound. Almost muffled.

What's my Handicap? Just look in my Golf Bag. Every club in there is my handicap.

• 4 weeks later...

Of these two I prefer the Classic Driver. It's a pretty low spin head which is nice. Because of that I've seen the 12 degree work wonders for some people, who are pretty good players in their own right. If you like adjustability then I'd go with the R11s. Both solid sticks. Stock shaft in the Classic is better IMO but that's just me.

The R11s is a pretty low spinning head as well. According to TM, it's the next lowest spinning driver head they've made not called the Super Deep.

The Kua in the Classic is a rather nice "upgrade" for people it fits. I can't use it worth a fishcake. I wish Cleveland would let people put the Kusala Black that's in the 310 into the 290 head without a $175 upcharge.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

The R11s is a pretty low spinning head as well. According to TM, it's the next lowest spinning driver head they've made not called the Super Deep.

The Kua in the Classic is a rather nice "upgrade" for people it fits. I can't use it worth a fishcake. I wish Cleveland would let people put the Kusala Black that's in the 310 into the 290 head without a $175 upcharge.

the black would be a great option without the upcharge. I have one of them and really like it.

I've owned both, and currently have a Classic 310 Tour with a Project X Black and an RBZ Tour. They're all good sticks. I'd find the one you hit closest to the centerline and buy it, distance be damned. I'd rather be straighter than gain 5 yards of length.

Fwiw, the Classic 290, for me, is one of the lowest spinning heads on the market.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the R11s and was not impressed with the feel. I just received my Classic 290 so I plan to put a review up after a bit. I hit a demo a while back and loved the feel, so it at least has an edge over the R11s there.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

Archived