Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Take your clubs or rent when traveling to foreign country?

RoverRick

In about three weeks I start a major project in Bulgaria. Major enough that I may actually be moving there because it is 3 to 5 year deal. But the first step is to meet with the contractors which will be during July. I will be there for three or four weeks. I will probably get in some golf, however, there are only about 8 golf courses in the country, and most are not in the area I will be at, but it brings up and interesting question, do you take your golf clubs or rent them there?

I think I will be taking a putter and a wedge and some balls because I know I will have some down time in the hotel. I can putt in the room.

I had some friends that went to Mexico a couple of weeks ago and they rented clubs there. I have been meaning to ask what clubs the had availible but it is different in Bulgaria. They had no golf courses until 2000. There were 3 in 2008, about 8 to 10 opened up now, and some more that are being built. The rental clubs, all of them offer them, can not be to old because they did not even have golf there long enough to have old clubs.

So rent or lug.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

You're going to a strange, to you, country, plan to play golf and golf is new to that country. I doubt you will find a rental set all that easily. Even if you find a rental set you might regret the cost. If you have people there, you might get better information by asking them about it.

Personally I would do without the Golf and plan instead on getting a good look/see of whatever would be worth getting a look at in that country. A good book would probably help you plan out what you can visit and a good pocket digital would keep your memories fresh. Bulgaria is an old country with plenty of history. If you get away from the tourist traps, you might find authentic local food and see the old buildings. You might even find a local bus ride looking out the window pleasant, or just sit sipping coffee or munching the local cheese, sausage and bread in a sidewalk cafe while looking at the people passing by. Experience the difference.

Shambles

You have to consider:

Does your airline charge you extra for taking your clubs?

Are you fit enough to take that much luggage?

Are you going to play more than 3 times every week?

I personally have 1 set at my parents and at my in-laws, because carrying 2 suitcases is enough hassle. Imagine adding 2 sets of clubs... I just don't have enough hands.

I don't travel business class, so for each set of clubs I'm looking at $150 fee round-trip.

I'm so busy visiting friends and family, that I only manage to squeeze one round per week. My vacations usually last 3 weeks, so take my clubs to play 3 rounds? Not really worth it.

Hope that helps!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Thanks Shambles and Steven. I had no idea it would cost that much. I am sending shipping containers over later on so I will ship some clubs then. This time I may get play a couple of times but it is not a priority. The main focus is to get them started on the pilot projects so we can get money coming in.

Maybe next year I will come play a round in Germany with Steven. I will be doing some stuff in Frankfurt.

When I had several trips to Florida a few years ago I bought some clubs at a second hand place and played several rounds the stopped on the interstate and hid them in the woods. I went back a few weeks later got them played more golf and did this 4 times. The last trip I drove and brought them back and gave them to the boys and girls club.

If you got a container shipping, then it's not a problem. I'm sure you have a spare set you could ship over.

OR you could call the clubs in Bulgaria and ask them about their clubs and rates.

I'm 4 hours away from Frankfurt, but if we have the chance, let's do eeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Actually, I looked on the web and they all have clubs. Since there are only 200 Bulgarians that have ever played golf :P most people are visitors. All these courses they are building are catering to foreign visitors. It cost less than $50 to play most of these and they are very nice. Club rental is $15.

Next year, I will probably be traveling all over Europe so I am planning on golfing. However, as I am finding out, next year to Europeans especially European governments is not the same thing as my next year. I was supposed to be there February 15th. And now it is July 8.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

As it looks like you may be there for some time, I would suggest that you check things out when you arrive and if entail costs are high and quality of clubs poor, look at having your golf clubs sent over by luggageforward.com who deliver to over 200 countries.

Exceptional Golf In Scotland

www.meridiangolftours.com

Can you locate the golf courses on the internet and contact them regarding club rental?

BTW, congrats on the project.....sounds very intriguing.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I just used Shipsticks for my trip to Orlando and was very pleased with their service.  My case made it home missing a handle and had a lot of scratches beyond normal wear and tear.  Shipsticks handles my claim for me and was very responsive throughout the process.

http://shipsticks.com/

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Congrats on the trip!  It should be a wonderful experience.  Sounds like the rental is the way to go for this upcoming trip.  Save your clubs for a more permanent arrangement.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yep, congrats on the trip --- back in 2012.   How did it go?

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Archived