Putter Re-grip... compressed air?

Hey all.  I'm looking to re-grip my Evnroll ER5v with the same grip it came with.  The grip really isn't in bad shape after quite a bit of use, but when the factory installed it they must have really "seated" it onto the shaft as it has cut through the butt, exposing the shaft.  Absolutely no effect on performance, just my OCD kicking in 😆.

I found what looks to be the OEM grip through GolfWorks; will reach out to them to verify.  This is my first time replacing a putter grip and I was planning to use my "compressed air" nozzle method... yes?...no?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hey all.  I'm looking to re-grip my Evnroll ER5v with the same grip it came with.  The grip really isn't in bad shape after quite a bit of use, but when the factory installed it they must have really "seated" it onto the shaft as it has cut through the butt, exposing the shaft.  Absolutely no effect on performance, just my OCD kicking in 😆.

I found what looks to be the OEM grip through GolfWorks; will reach out to them to verify.  This is my first time replacing a putter grip and I was planning to use my "compressed air" nozzle method... yes?...no?

I've done air with putter grips and would probably only question something like a superstroke.  With the grip you linked to I would  say yes.

As for the cutting through the bottom of the grip, it could also be from the putter hitting the bottom of the bag which causes the steel shaft to cut through the rubber grip. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I've done air with putter grips and would probably only question something like a superstroke.  With the grip you linked to I would  say yes.

As for the cutting through the bottom of the grip, it could also be from the putter hitting the bottom of the bag which causes the steel shaft to cut through the rubber grip. 

Thanks for the advice and yes, it may very well be from contact with the bottom of the bag... especially since I use a power cart.  The Yamaha is great but they, like most, don't have a cushy suspension.

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Thanks for the advice and yes, it may very well be from contact with the bottom of the bag... especially since I use a power cart.  The Yamaha is great but they, like most, don't have a cushy suspension.

I was thinking it was from your being mad that you missed a putt and slamming it back into the bag 🤣

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I was thinking it was from your being mad that you missed a putt and slamming it back into the bag 🤣

I rarely slam or throw clubs.  I ocassionally do the "are you freaking kidding me" drop from the top of the swing drill though 😆.

Oh goody, I now see that they have both a 73g and 100g version of this grip... and I don't know what mine came with.  I'm guessing these are solvent/tape installed from the factory, so the only way to know is to slice it off and weigh it.  But, I'm in the middle of the H2H putter tests/review of the Ai-One Milled, so the re-grip is going to have too wait until that's done.

Maybe I can weigh the putter and contact Evnroll with that info... perhaps that reveals which grip was installed?

I’m surprised there isn’t a designation between std and tour pistol on the butt stamp. The tour version should have a thinner cross section profile. I’m personally not an Evnroll fan and subsequently don’t know if they serial number etch their heads, but that might be enough info for them to reference original build specs.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Assuming your wand is long enough to hit bottom (especially if you have a roomy designated putter well), I agree with @cnosil that the most likely cause for the shaft edge punching through the butt is dropping it into your bag. You don’t have to slam it either - those regular gravity collisions add up.

Re: putter grip air install limitations - I do SuperStrokes all the time and it’s not a big deal. I even use air to install SS Traxion with the tech port cap in place. I have to use a blunt rubber air gun tip to create a seal on those and it takes a little more finesse but it’s pretty easy now that I have a feel for it.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I blow all mine on, including putter.

With my SweetRollz grip I couldn't use the gun because it was too big, so I just used a ball inflator needle and it worked OK.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

I know a lot of guys and gals used Pure grips. Mentioned this in another thread, but apparently Star Grips has essentially replaced them. I have an order in with them to see what its like and will report back!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

7 hours ago, MattF said:

I blow all mine on, including putter.

With my SweetRollz grip I couldn't use the gun because it was too big, so I just used a ball inflator needle and it worked OK.

I have the grip specific butt cup attachment but it’s actually not my favorite option. The air gun tip I use most often for grip work is the tapered metal tip with graduated shoulders because it seals better (higher pressure potential). I can typically even save grips installed with tape using the taper tip. Nonetheless, I’m in the middle of beach house remodel and found myself in a pinch last week needing to measure my gamer driver shaft ID with a digital caliper and my big compressor was a 3 hour road-trip away from its normal spot in the garage. Pulled out the little 12V emergency automobile tire inflator, installed a sports ball needle and had my Star Sidewinder 360 off in a jiffy. I was half-expecting a fight but it worked surprisingly well.

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I know a lot of guys and gals used Pure grips. Mentioned this in another thread, but apparently Star Grips has essentially replaced them. I have an order in with them to see what its like and will report back!

For those of us that appreciate quality, price, warranty, domestic manufacturing and ethical business practices; Star has long been the apparent industry standard. For me personally, the only subjective characteristic that gave the Pure Pro grip a leg up on the comparable Star Sidewinder was that it played firmer - a quality that I’ve actually de-prioritized due a perpetually sore lead wrist. Also, because Star was around for years prior to Pure, it might be more accurate to say they outlasted them. For all the reasons stated above (one in particular), I’m pleased they did.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“