FlightScope Progression Series: 2023 Forum Member Review

GolfSpy_APH

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

How accurate are you all seeing the Mevo is for distances on mis-hits? I've heard it mentioned that ball flight is pretty much straight and I'm curious if using the metrics it does provide if it's relatively accurate. 

On the range I would say that it’s pretty accurate. But again you can see the full shot and what the ball is doing. 
The challenge is hitting into a net and really figuring out ball flight. You can look at spin numbers and have a decent idea. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

6 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

How accurate are you all seeing the Mevo is for distances on mis-hits? I've heard it mentioned that ball flight is pretty much straight and I'm curious if using the metrics it does provide if it's relatively accurate. 

I see a pretty good drop in distance on mishits. I can tell when I fat one on the mat and it’ll be a good 20-30 yards short of a flushed shot. 

Irons accuracy has been quite good for me to this point indoors, driver not so much. Could be due to my lighting though so need to get that swapped out. 

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I think it’s very accurate for me. My carry distance for my 6/7/8 irons that I have managed to hit have been right on for good swings.  I’ve also seen a couple shots that I know I’ve missed toe or heel when I hit the ball and there has been a 10-20 yard loss depending on how atrocious the miss hit was. 

I do gotta say that I need to make sure the heat is up when I hit though. Couldn’t handle many swings with the Edel SMS Pros after a couple thin shots jolted my hands. 

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

I'm pretty surprised the Mevo doesn't give you dispersion. That is one thing the Garmin R10 does pretty well.Screenshot_20231229_084448_GarminGolf.jpg.f7254dcbc947f88f6137701a47a330ea.jpg

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

On 12/28/2023 at 8:10 AM, Lacassem said:

I just ordered some plug in ones

image.png

I bought one recently and it was super harsh. So I’m getting one that has adjustable “K” I need to pick that up today. https://www.lowes.com/pd/BELL-HOWELL/5013690497

Was not able to get any swings in today but plan to tomorrow. 

anything anyone wants to see specifically with the MEVO? We have covered a lot!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

6 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I won’t get any swings in until Sunday if I’m lucky. Don’t get to see my daughter often and we have Christmas tomorrow with her.  She wants to sleep in on Sunday so I’m hoping to sneak out and get some hits in before church.  Fingers crossed 

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Did manage to get my 5x10 Matzilla hitting mat from USA Turf. It holds a real team so I’m curious if any numbers change with the Mevo from a different mat. 

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Honestly it seems like you guys have covered about everything. It's been a thorough review and I can't personally think of anything else that needs to be covered. I think the big factor will be how this information you're all getting will help your game. I know some of you live in a colder climate and won't be able to see the on course benefits for a while. 

On 12/18/2023 at 5:49 PM, Josh Parker said:

Introduction:

I want to first say thanks to MGS and FlightScope for this incredible opportunity.  My name is Josh (hence the screen name) and I am out of Austin, Texas.  Born and raised.  I got involved in this great community just by chance, looking through some articles and it has been amazing.  Just about everyone on here has been helpful, knowledgeable and most of all kind.  In today’s social media world, it’s a pleasant surprise.

IMG_20231028_094133.jpg.1092c78bfaf7aa06a3a70d8482037d4d.jpg

I live in a small lakeside golf course community just north of Austin.  I am married and have two small children.  My seven-year-old son has shown some interest in golf, but he really enjoys going out on the course and just hanging out with me and filling the divots.  My almost three-year-old daughter (going on 21) loves to ride in the “tart tart” and trying to hit the golf ball like daddy. 

20231031_175751.jpg.d9981ddd3fae1299dc1526596dab911e.jpg20231103_100011.jpg.00164e0b8e7c323e30d22a87116e61b9.jpg

For work, my wife and I are both in real estate.  I made the decision almost 4 years ago to pursue this career in order to have more time with my kids while they are young.  Leaving behind a great career in construction was a major decision but one that I don’t regret for a second.

I started playing golf about 20 years ago in a small town because some co-workers asked me to play.  Being a lefty, I didn’t have any clubs but one of the guys that worked in the clubhouse was a lefty and had an extra set that he gave me to play with.  They were the Wilson Staff Deep Red Tour irons.  I was instantly hooked by the challenge and the opportunity to get better.   I would play three or four times a week and was down to a 3-handicap playing with the local “noon” group.  My best round was a 2 under 70 with a birdie on 9 and 18 and I remember all the old guys throwing a fit because I was moving back to Austin, and they wouldn’t be able to win their money back.  It didn’t matter that they had taken my money for years, so I declined the few bucks and had them sign the scorecard.  Once back in Austin, golf eluded me for a number of years, only playing occasionally when I would get the opportunity, but I knew I wanted to get back to the game. 

DeepRedTourIrons.jpg.78a714b784fa109f245c8eef2893cfe3.jpg

Fast forward to this past year and a half, I get to play or practice golf just about every day and my handicap is down to a 5.  If you have seen my posts or thread about my goals and pursuit of earning the coveted “break 70” badge, you also know my struggles with the driver.

IMG_20231028_094130.jpg.91de4972ba1cf52bfeda395b81fd2474.jpg 

This brings me to the Mevo testing.

FlightScope’s tagline states: Practice with purpose using FlightScope Mevo – an accurate, portable, and affordable launch monitor that gives golfers performance data they can trust.

Can a sub $500 launch monitor really improve my game? 

Can it help me finally stop hating my driver?

I will be equipping the Mevo with the iPad app and utilizing it primarily at the range but also have the net set up in the backyard to do testing. 

Mevo offers 8 data parameters that I will be collecting data from on day one until the testing is complete in order to see if I can take this information and make the necessary changes to my swing to improve my numbers.

Carry Distance, Spin Rate, Club Speed, Ball Speed, Vertical Launch, Smash Factor, Apex Height, Flight Time

For testing purposes, I will be using 3 clubs and the lucky participants are, PW, 7I, and Driver.

Mevo doesn’t just offer data, they also offer skills challenges so that you can make practicing fun. 

FS PGA & LPGA Challenge – Compare your stats to the latest stats of the pros. (This one scares me)

FS Long Drive Challenge – What will this look like at the beginning vs the end of the test?

FS Range Challenge – All about distance control and makes for a fun practice round.

If there are particular things that you want to know or see tested, please leave a comment or shoot me a message. 

First Impressions

When the UPS guy showed up at the house, we were expecting two packages.  The Mevo and the wife's watch. 

20231221_075859.jpg.dd9e788b75aff01f44a21419255e5188.jpg

I was shocked that the watch box was twice the size of the Mevo.  I started to wonder what was actually sent to me.

20231221_143052.jpg.c5049f3c469df7bad5628b6f7a8f4c26.jpg

Upon opening the box, the first thing I saw was high quality packaging.  The box is magnetic, and the presentation was great! 

20231221_143330.jpg.429c7b318231a526e1e1b2490538c06c.jpg

It comes with a charging cord, quickstart quide, protective pouch and metallic dots.  

P1000828.JPG.5977f364e988ab3cdc9e4b6c2296847a.JPG

It is amazing that such a small unit can pack so much data and I am excited to see how accurate it will be and how it can improve my game.

P1000827.JPG.eabead2166b784ff5352a5724e408026.JPG

I give it an A+ for my initial impression.

P1000834.JPG

I know the feeling of letting golf slip away with two youngsters at home! I've got a 10 and 7 year old and I feel like 2023 was the least amount of golf I've ever played. I hope that this is accurate and it helps you get back to that low single digit number from before!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

9 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

I know the feeling of letting golf slip away with two youngsters at home! I've got a 10 and 7 year old and I feel like 2023 was the least amount of golf I've ever played. I hope that this is accurate and it helps you get back to that low single digit number from before!

Thanks!

The Mevo has been very accurate and I'm looking forward to the Mevo+ to see what other data can help improve my game.  

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

19 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Got a really good session in with Matt today. Both hit about 80 shots through 3 clubs.

Key take away today reiterates the importance of making sure you have a good distance ball to screen. At first I was a little closer to the screen just to make sure Matt was not hitting it above the net. Ended up not being an issue so moved the hitting spot back a little (was maybe 2-3' more from ball to screen) and the numbers seemed to be much closer to what I would expect to see out of my irons. Was very short on several shots (20 yards or so) from what I would expect when we were a little closer.

Highlight was this nice grouping of 12/16 shots with my 5 iron. Love to see it.

IMG_3129.PNG

Great stuff, Mark! What has been the sweet spot for you so far with distance to net/screen?

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

#LeftyGang

39 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Great stuff, Mark! What has been the sweet spot for you so far with distance to net/screen?

About 4-5' from MEVO to ball and then 11-12' ball to net has been the best use of space and best data

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

1 hour ago, Jnoble89 said:

Since you didn’t ask me by quoting but instead by name😉 I’ll answer anyways lol.

For me I have found 7’ for driver and fairways and 5-6’ for irons has been my sweet spot for the mevo. Then I’ve been 10-11’ to the net. I think more ball flight to the net is better than less. I tried a few at 13’ with the driver but I was getting very close to the top of my 7’ net. 

Congrats @sirchunksalot and @Luisddavila on joining the group for testing the Mevo!

I am looking forward to seeing what you guys along with @Byrnzee think about the product.

I think that there is some great data to gather from the Mevo that can help better your game.

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Congrats @sirchunksalotand @Luisddavila! Can’t wait to see your contributions to this thread! 

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

L.A.B. DF3

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

29 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Congrats @sirchunksalot and @Luisddavila looking forward to what you all can gain from the mevo!  

I mentioned this early on but I do have the Rapsodo MLM which I will not be using and want it to go to someone on the forum. Whoever is interested and can guess what club I have not used during testing I will send it out to! Just quote me with your answer (WITB is in my signature)

U505 Driving Iron 17*

Driver - Stix Compete
7W - :ping-small: G5
9W - :callaway-small: Big Bertha War Bird
5H/SW - :callaway-small:Edge 
6H - :ping-small: G15
5-PW - :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56 - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Congrats @sirchunksalot and @Luisddavila looking forward to what you all can gain from the mevo!  

I mentioned this early on but I do have the Rapsodo MLM which I will not be using and want it to go to someone on the forum. Whoever is interested and can guess what club I have not used during testing I will send it out to! Just quote me with your answer (WITB is in my signature)

Your putter!!😀

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Congrats @sirchunksalot & @Luisddavila! Looking forward to what you guys as well as @Byrnzee bring to the review!!!

#LeftyGang

1 hour ago, ZJeb67 said:

U505 Driving Iron 17*

That is not one of them, for some very good data from the driving iron!

48 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Your putter!!😀

wow I didn’t even think of that lol. That is 1 of 2 but if you are interested DM me will ship it out to you!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

8 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

That is not one of them, for some very good data from the driving iron!

wow I didn’t even think of that lol. That is 1 of 2 but if you are interested DM me will ship it out to you!

Ya gotta think outside the box...er or bag!!   😃  

Thats OK, I disqualify myself since I know you didnt mean that and I have a mevo so I don't really need the Rapsodo.  

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

3 hours ago, Lacassem said:

60⁰?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Congrats to @sirchunksalot and @Luisddavila! Now the fun begins 😁

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15 Tensei Black 75 X

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

6i-PW:  :mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Recoil 110 f4

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman