Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

For those interchangeable weight putters...

dooboo

Question to those who has a putter with changeable weights:

Have you played with different weight configurations, like using one weight on the toe side and another weight on the heal side, to help with your putting?

I know all the Scotty Cameron's putters come with same weights on both the heal/toes, but if you have a different putting technic, and wanting to more/less of a toe flow, I was thinking maybe you can achieve that with use of different weights.

maybe there are someone out there who has this set up...

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

Dooboo, if I haven't said it yet, welcome to the forum..Great to have ya..Regarding your question, there is theory, then there is application, "real "world"...Theoretically, if you look at the drivers that have interchangable toe/heel weighting systems, with one lighter than the other, & depending on the supposed ball flight that you want, that is how you place the weights...Well, the heaviest stock/standard configuration was the TMaG R9 w/a 16gr & a 1gr weight...Supposedly if the 16gr weight was placed in the heel, this would allow the toe to "close" faster at impact & promote a draw/hook face at impact..To promote a fade, just reverse the weights...

That's theory...There are studies(Yale University School of Engineering) that show that when a club is swung at 85-90mph(forget about tour speed of 110+mph..lol) a 16gr weight has zero effect on closing/opening the clubface....The study showed that to have an effect of opening/closing the clubface @ 85-90mph, the weight would have to be 35gr..So think about what the weight would have to be to influence the face of a tour player's club...Now you will get guys who swear that it has the desired effect of opening/closing the clubface(as Dustin Johnson did in a court deposition for a pending law-suit on another but similar issue), though it has been determined(& ruled on by the court verdict) that this is mental/psychological and not a biomechanical movement of the club....

I have used multiple putters with weight inserts, some like the Scotty, where you usually have to send it back to have them changed out or get someone who has the kit(which I have, though it's not for sale through retail or his site) to do it, & then I have the TMaG Spider CS with the kit, which is the same weights/kit that's used for any of their drivers(all of the R9 & R11 models)...Theoretically, you can put the weights in to get the effect that you want, though again, you have the issue of, does a 1-15gr difference in weights really have an effect on "toe-flow" through impact, you also create a larger issue of the design of the putter and altering the balance and sweet spot...

Take the Spider..Obviously, being face-balanced, it was designed to have zero "toe-flow" so you are altering not only the weighting, but also the balance of the putter..The same goes for any putter...The fact that a putter is swung so slowly, in commparison to a regular club, makes putting different weights into it a futile effort...And in doing so, you mess with the designed balance of the putter, which also effects the sweet spot...This was told to me by an engineer, so it's not my opinion....

I tried this a while ago with a Scottty Newport, and it was this engineer who saw it and explained this to me...Now the thing is, I've seen it advertised that(Ping had a putter out last year with interchangable weights) you can do this, however it's just marketing and it's crap, so say the studies....

So, if you want more "toe-flow," I would just find the putter that fits you stroke, or as Dave Pelz speaks of, and which I do, and that is to develop a "force-hold" mechanism in your stroke to "make" the putter fit your stroke, instead of the other way around...I did that because I prefer a heel shafted blade(ex:WS 8082, Scotty Napa Valley) or semi-mallet(Nike Method 003 or Scotty Del Mar) which are designed for strong arc & are the ultimate tow-flow putters & I basically use a SBST stroke...

Anyway, hope that this was helpful....

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

R.P.

thanks so much for your insite.

You said you have played with some weight before, and wondering what promoted you to do that in a first place, before that "engineer" gave you some reasoning of why it would not work.

I came across Kevin Burns putter video where it talks about putting different weight in toe and heel, that's what got me thinking about all this...maybe I am over thinking it a little. However, Kevin Burns achieve perfect center of gravity via using different weight in the toe/heel combo. Maybe it is his putter that is unique...as where Scotty putter maybe already have perfect CG even without the weights.

Here is Kevin Burn's video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOyN-xNW8Ao&feature=relmfu

I love tinkering with my clubs of late, and I learn so much doing it...and it is fun. I can also spend time with my 7 year old son while doing this.

Again thanks for your input.

By changing the weights around, you're altering the toe hang of the putter, which alters the type of stroke it fits. SAM Lab studies have proven that different types of toe hang fit different stroke types as it allows the putter to open/close to fit the stroke. A putter with a 6:00 toe hang will work for a person with an inside to inside path better than any other stroke type. Proven again and again in SAM lab, as it allows that person to deliver the putter square in the critical 2 inches the easiest. Face balanced, conversely, will fit a person that has a straight back and straight through stroke better than anything else and they'll consistently deliver it through the impact zone square more often. Slight toe hang putters, by definition, will fit those with a slight arc better than anything else out there, as they return it to square more often. Can different stroke types use different toe hang types? Sure, but if you got them on a SAM, their results would prove which works best for them based on toe hang.

I'd recommend going through a SAM fitting and figuring out your stroke type and then adjusting or buying a new putter to fit instead of just guessing at it by changing weights.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Sorry I rambled so much & didn't really answer your question regarding why I was experimenting with the asymmetrical weighting...The reason was an attempt to make a strong toe-flow head easier to use in a SBST stroke without my having to use as strong of a "force-hold" method of stroke...

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

RP, your insite and ramblings (if you want to call it that) is fantastic.

Love your posts. Thanks for chiming in.

I may play around a bit...just to satisfy my curiosity, as I have few putters that are face balanced, mid toe flow head as well as strong toe flow head...few putters I picked up at garage sale for less than $5, just for experiment, however, this might give me some insight as to what I can do with my Scotty.

I just love tinkering with my clubs, especially during down time, so it maybe a fun little project for me.

• 7 years later...

I love to also experiment since I could not find a place that does putter fitting

Driver: Callaway Epic MX LS, Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 40 R-Flex

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diaman Thump Fairway 55 R-Flex

Hybrid: PXG 0317x GEN4 19 degree, Fujikura Ventus Hybrid Blue 7R

PXG 0311x GEN2 22 degree, Fujikura Ventus Hybrid Blue 7R

5 -Gw irons: Srixon ZX4, KBS Tour Graphite 60g Taper Shaft R-Flex

Wedges: 54 and 58 degree, SM8, Tour Graphite shaft 70g  R -Flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select 

On 4/26/2020 at 9:27 PM, Guam135i said:

I love to also experiment since I could not find a place that does putter fitting

LOL,
Welcome to the MGS Forum (2016)?
Why LOL, you ask?
It brings me back to when I joined another Forum, and I shared a long and thought out response to a thread that was already 3 years old...And obviously asleep.
If you look at the date in the last reply, you will see 2012, 4 years before you came on board.

Back then, I bought a Ping Craz-E, IWI Series putter. But I hated the smallish stock WINN grip. Before I replaced it with a LAMKIN Jumbo, I checked the swing weight. It stood at F7. With a much heavier grip, I could'nt feel the head anymore. I bought the optional weight kit, and changed the stock 2 X 12 gr inserts to the 2 X 20 gr. 

I played around with different combinations of interchangable inserts, but I did not like the feel. It's still in my bag and not going anywhere anytime soon.

Edited by mdgboxx

DRIVER: :ping-small: G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: 
:srixon-small: Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: 
:srixon-small: Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: 
:ping-small: i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2, Red Dot
PUTTER: :ping-small: Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: 
:ping-small: Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: :srixon-small:-XV
CART: :1590477705_SunMountain: V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: :1590477705_SunMountain: H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: :ping-small: S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)