Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Callaway ORG 14x Cart Bag

• SPY VIP

Callaway Org X14 Cart Bag

An Official MyGolfSpy.com Review

DSC_0051.jpg

Is It Time For The Cart Bag?

Perhaps it is time to have that little talk. I know that you started the season with grand ideas. This was going to be the year that you walked your rounds. You started solid, walking the first four times you went out to play. The next time you were a little sore from that gardening “incident” so you rented a pull cart. The next time, you thought that you were too pressed for time to walk or pull, so you got a cart, just this once. Other times, it wasn't your fault, right? Those courses you played forced you to rent a cart. At the scramble for work, you didn't want to stand out as the only one walking. Soon enough, you are out of control, just riding and riding. You even checked craigslist once or twice to see if you could pick up a cart of your own. That way, you could save the cost of renting a cart next time...

Don't fret my motorized linkster, there is no shame in a motor-assisted round. Your scores may even be a little lower because you are not as fatigued. You stay hydrated better because you no longer worry about the weight of the water you carry. And remember, you can always work out a little more in the off-season, so that you can be ready to transform into a walker next summer.

We do need to talk about your bag though. That sweet, ultra-light carry bag that you bought at the beginning of the season is just not getting it done on the cart. You play your golf with vigor and panache, and to do so, you need more gear than your little Sunday bag can tote around. Plus, it's a little embarrassing that you need to bungee the bag to the cart to keep it from falling out (again). Again, don't fret my mobile mashie maverick, the cart bag I bring to you today, the Callaway ORG 14X, may be just what you have been looking for.

STYLE

I think that a golf bag should have a bit of pop to it. Maybe not quite a dude-in-a-butterfly-collar-giving-you-the-Shooter-McGavin-pistols level of pop, but it should stand out. Golf has been about style and color since those plaid-kilted Scotts hit the little rocks with their staves. Too many golfers seem to lean toward the black bag, black clothing, black headcovers, black shoes, and black hats. You are a golfer, not a ninja. It's OK for others to see you...

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

I think that the ORG 14X Cart Bag does a nice job of meeting the ends of the style spectrum somewhere in the middle. I really don't see how someone cannot like the looks of this bag. Maybe you don't like the big Callaway logo down the side, but to be fair, that logo is significantly smaller than the logos found on other bags. I like the black, silver, and blue scheme on this bag. Not too bold, with a bit of pop. If it is still too much for you, there is a ninja black version of the bag as well. (Note: Not really called ninja black, though that would be cool. B) )

Score: 20/20

COMFORT

A comfort score on a cart bag, have I gone mental? Perhaps. And no I did not walk a round with this bag to see if that was comfortable. Instead, I slung the bag into and out of the car, both to the course and also to the driving range. It is a comfortable bag under those conditions. By itself, it is only 7 pounds. Loaded with gear, it's a good deal more than that. However, the shoulder strap is well padded and handle position provides easy trunk in and out. The bag also sits up well on the range, although I was not able to test this on a grass range so YMMV.

DESIGN AND QUALITY

So far, all of the Callaway golf bags that I have used have been of the utmost quality. There is no exception here. The ORG 14X Cart Bag is well made, and designed to work well in the cart. I love that the pockets face forward for easy access and that there are a lot of them. You have the:

• valuables pocket
  • a little lanyard and clip to hold your keys in another pocket
  • a huge insulated pocket with drain holes (more on this later)
  • a nicely spaced 14-way top with a putter well that keeps your putter safe
  • a slot to tuck in the shoulder strap when inserting the bag into the cart
  • numerous other well thought out elements

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Construction is excellent and the design non-irritating. Both of these qualities should promote multiple seasons of use.

PLAYING WITH THE BAG – GENERAL IMPRESSIONS

There is really not that much insight that I can pass along about using this bag on the course. I know that's not much of a review. What I mean is that the ORG 14X Cart Bag does everything that I would want a cart bag to do. This is what I found:

• The bag stays put in the cart and the “strap tunnel” keeps the strap from blocking access.
  • The base fits nicely into the bottom of the cart.
  • While the clubs do jiggle around while you drive, there is no excessive banging.
  • Pockets are big, but there are also smaller ones for the smaller things.
  • If you want to be prepared or any situation, there is room for storing a ton of stuff in this bag.
  • It has tee, glove, and water bottle holders, although most of us will keep these things in the cart where we ride.

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

All in all, it has what you need, and where you need it to play some quality cart golf.

PLAYING WITH THE BAG – VERSATILITY

As I mentioned in the other bag review, I am a carry, push, and ride golfer. Ideally, if I am going to shell out for a new bag, I want a bag that works well in all three modes. This bag was great in the power cart, and pretty good on the push cart (Clicgear). I did not try and do a round carrying this bag. You may say that this review is then incomplete. However, I have also never golfed in scuba flippers and I don't have to try that to know that it would not go well. The strap is great on this bag for toting to and from the car, but I can't see lugging this bag around for 18 on the shoulder. Granted, that is not really the intention of the bag, no more than a Sunday bag riding in the cart. However, if you can only afford to buy one golf bag and you sometimes like to carry, this may not be the bag for you. As a rider/pusher though, this bag is excellent. If you only ride, this bag elevates to perfection.

Score: 17/20

FINAL SCORE: 97/100

DSC_0070.jpg

Summary

The ORG 14X is an amazing cart bag. The only thing keeping it from a perfect score is the fact that you probably wouldn't want to carry it for a round. I suppose that is true of any cart bag though. Maybe they could expand the color range next season, but I really see nothing else that I would change to make this a better bag.

Oh, there is one more thing...

The John Barry Aggregate

There is a thread talking about golf bags somewhere in the forum where John asked “but how many beers does it hold?” I thought, you know, that is a valid concern for the recreational golfer. In honor of John's piercing question, I have decided to add the John Barry Aggregate to all of my future bag reviews. The score will not be included in the total review points, but for some of you, this will be indeed, an important score. For testing purposes, I acquired a stock of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale canned beverages. Did you know that Sierra Pale Ale comes in cans now? Yes it does. The Torpedo IPA also comes in tall cans...

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

First let's look at the insulated pocket. It is massive, running down the length of the bag's left hand side. Decent insulation thickness, with drain holes on the bottom for melting ice. Capacity was not calculated under iced conditions, so take that into account. Here's the money shot:

DSC_0019.jpg

The Callaway ORG 14X Cart Bag scores an “18” on the John Barry Aggregate. Yes, that means that you can fit EIGHTEEN BEERS in the insulated pocket! Talk about setting the bar high. Here we have a beer-a-hole bag leading off the JBA. The competition trembles at the capacity of the ORG 14X. There is almost enough space to open a small pub in there. Forget $2 skins with your buddies, you could get back your greens fees with $2 beers. Not that I condone bringing outside beverages onto the course. That's against the rules ;)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Nice choice of beer!

Oh yeah, and seems like a great cart bag.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

I had this bag. and its predecessor. I loved the orginal Org 14 bag. However there is one small issue with the bag that you have no way of knowing at this point. The hard plastic bands along the top, ruin your graphite shafts. I got one of these last year in May and in August I sold it to my neighbor, I told him what it did and his reaction was then he could get new clubs, because his wife would not let him get new ones until those wore out.

The old one did not do that and it was everything you said it was, but this one in my opinion has that one flaw and it is a fatal flaw.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I would be happy to help you drink that beer though. I love almost all IPAs and Pale Ales.

• SPY VIP

I had this bag. and its predecessor. I loved the orginal Org 14 bag. However there is one small issue with the bag that you have no way of knowing at this point. The hard plastic bands along the top, ruin your graphite shafts. I got one of these last year in May and in August I sold it to my neighbor, I told him what it did and his reaction was then he could get new clubs, because his wife would not let him get new ones until those wore out.

The old one did not do that and it was everything you said it was, but this one in my opinion has that one flaw and it is a fatal flaw.

That is good to know. :o

I will definitely keep an eye out for wear on the shafts!

Volvo Intorqueo

The review is well done and quite thorough and informative. I am in the market for a new bag currently. One thing missing is the price range. I hope to get a good bag for less than $200, and if this fits, I'll probably buy it.

I'd love to meet and play with the guy that's concerned with the amount of beer this bag holds. I would hope he has a whole lot of money and a thirst for those beers, then this new bag would be paid for along with new irons and woods.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does the Org X-14 Bag fit with the Clicgear 3.0 Push Cart?

I like the looks of this bag, but am concerned that it will not work with the Clicgear cart, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Troy Sheaffer 

I like the looks of this bag, but am concerned that it will not work with the Clicgear cart, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Should work. I haven't seen any cart bag that doesn't work with Clicgear 3.0.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Thanks

Troy Sheaffer 

• 3 months later...

That is good to know. :o

I will definitely keep an eye out for wear on the shafts!

Is there any feedback on this issue of the "hard plastic bands along the top ruin your graphite shafts"

I wanted to purchase this bag but not at the cost of the eventual cost of my driver, 3 wood and hybrid graphite shafts.

I would have thought Callaway would catch this in their product testing. Their latest 2012/2013 bags have the same thing.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Is there any feedback on this issue of the "hard plastic bands along the top ruin your graphite shafts"

I wanted to purchase this bag but not at the cost of the eventual cost of my driver, 3 wood and hybrid graphite shafts.

I would have thought Callaway would catch this in their product testing. Their latest 2012/2013 bags have the same thing.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

That was the very reason I came and looked at this thread again. To see if anyone besides me experienced that. I sold my bag to my neighbor and he has wear spots on his graphite shafts, however, he plays once per week, and I play everyday plus he is not as fastidious about his clubs as I am about mine.

That was the very reason I came and looked at this thread again. To see if anyone besides me experienced that. I sold my bag to my neighbor and he has wear spots on his graphite shafts, however, he plays once per week, and I play everyday plus he is not as fastidious about his clubs as I am about mine.

I haven't seen it in person. Looking at the pics made me wonder if that's hard plastic around the edge or not. The ribbed material looks like it could be softer rubber. You said you had this and the prior model? It was still an issue then? Good to know. I like the bag otherwise.

Mine was harder plastic versus the cloth that was on the original 14. The cloth did eventually wear, but not until after the zippers had broken and not until after two or three years of hard use. It was an awesome bag, which is why my wife bought me a new one. The 14x. It had the hard plastic and caused the wear issues. Since I have gone to mostly steel shafts I almost wish I still had it.

A lot depends on where you carry you graphite shafts in this bag and how the bag normally leans and some other issues such as the number of graphite shafts etc... No matter how I put the clubs in the bag I had some that rode against the harder plastic so that caused the wear.

Also, I have an older golf car and the bags lean slightly out, so the clubs always ride against the left side of the slot. This could have been a contributing factor.

Sharp looking bag! great review. Not really anything they can do about the outside beverages though, can't say I have ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for it, although I'm sure it has happened. A beer bought from the course looks exactly the same as an identical beer bought off the course.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Sharp looking bag! great review. Not really anything they can do about the outside beverages though, can't say I have ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for it, although I'm sure it has happened. A beer bought from the course looks exactly the same as an identical beer bought off the course.

They might notice that bottle of scotch though! :D

What bag do you currently play with now?

Even the Sun Mountain C-130 has mostly fabric but the perimeter of the opening has the rubberized plastic as well so any graphite clubs on the outside would have the same problem. C-130 does not have as many pockets as the org 14x either.

I see that Callaway has a XTT extreme bag that is more traditional. It has fewer pockets and has the standard handle on the front design and has the 14 way divider but they are all fabric on the top where the clubs insert. I like the extra room and design of the org 14x but not at the cost of the clubs.

They might notice that bottle of scotch though! :D

Touché.

Although I don't have any issues with that.... Only things I "smuggle" on are pop and Gatorade. Most of the time I get it free at my home course anyway.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Touché.

Although I don't have any issues with that.... Only things I "smuggle" on are pop and Gatorade. Most of the time I get it free at my home course anyway.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "smuggling" something on that isn't alcohol. And the law only applies to courses with a liquor license. Kaufman, for example (a municipal course) doesn't have one. So if you behave, you can BYOB. The law is to both protect the business selling alcohol (the course) and to enforce a limit on how many drinks someone can buy (most courses are 6) at once.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• 5 months later...

I Recently saw that you did a review comparing this bag to the new ORG 14XT. I am very curious how the ORG 14X bag compares to the ORG 14S. Visually these two bags seem to be more similar then the ORG 14X and the ORG 14XT. Also Do all these bags mentioned accommodate the JUMBO (1.7" diameter) putter grips?

• 5 years later...
  • SPY VIP

Dave, 

Have you reviewed the 2018 ORG 14?  I would love to see that.

Thank you for your awesome and funny reviews!

:)

I have not, but here is the link to the Most Wanted cart bag test. Lots of good bags there.

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-cart-bags-of-2018/

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived