Are Miura Irons worth buying?

I have a major complaint about Miura and there products I just would like hear anybody's else opinion on my complaint. The reason I believe you shouldn't buy Miura irons is the don't have any resale value. I have 2 sets of Miura irons so i thought I would sale one I have a set of TC 201s with custom ferrules and Aerotech Shafts on them, I paid 2400 for them if i bought from Miura it would be 2800. They are near mint played 3 rounds on them. I go to the local golf shop to see trade in they offer me $328. I was shocked but he went to show me 3 trade in websites of the value they buy them. On Ebay going for anywhere from 1000-2000. They are great irons but they cost alot of money to not have any value after pull them out of the box is a bummer. When last years Stealth HD irons have a better resale value something is wrong. Thanks for any comments. 

My belief is that trade-in values are always very low compared to the resale value of any particular club.  Not sure that Miura is significantly worse outside the fact that they're not a "household name" the way US brands are.

Perhaps bite the bullet and sell them yourself on ebay or facebook marketplace?  Yes it's more work but could net you 3-4 times what you were offered.  Heck, the shafts are likely worth more than you were offered for the set of clubs.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Your better off try to sell golf clubs yourself, now sometimes certain brand will give you an addition 50% more for your trade in which is always nice but other wise you will take a beating as you get no extra money for having premium shafts either. 

Driver:titleist-small: GT2 9*  w/ ARETERA Alpha One Blue 55-3

3W :titleist-small: GT 2 13.5* W/ Graphite Design Tour AD-VF 5 

5W :taylormade-small: Qi10 w/ :Fuji: NX Speeder TCS 5

4H: :taylormade-small: Qi10 w/:Fuji: NX Speeder TCS 5

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: i530 5-PW w/ :Fuji: AXIOM 75 shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

Bag: :titleist-small: FOLDS of HONOR

Well clubs in general are a depreciating asset and lose about 1/2 their value once purchase and without the plastic even taken off, so buying clubs hoping they retain some value is a losing game.

As for Miura they are some of the best irons on the market. Their quality is nearly unmatched. There a a couple forging houses overseas that are good and miura is one of them.

Miura has a unique sound and feel that not everyone loves, but the ones who do like myself it’s the best sound/feel in irons. 

Miura is a very niche brand with a limited market to start with and gets smaller in the secondary market. Also some irons are more popular than others such as the CB57, but even those at this point in time are going to be cheaper than they were a few years ago. 

When you start customizing clubs it’s going to lower the value because there will be people to at don’t like the ferrules or any other possible customization done, some don’t want to buy and pull shafts so if it’s not a popular shaft that’s not going to help.

As for going to a shop and selling or doing a trade in house going to get offered less than if you sold them yourself because the avail has to make money when they resell.

If the only reason to not buy a miura iron is their resale value that’s not a real strong case. 

To the question of are they worth buying, can be applied to anything. Is a $600 driver worth buying? Is a 8k tv worked buying? Is a luxury suv worth buying? The answer is it depends on if the purchaser feels the value is worth the purchase.

IMO having owned two sets of Miuras including the set I still have I would buy another set and think they are worth the purchase. I also pay little to no attention to what the current resale value of a club is nor does it have any influence in my purchase.

I know my $800-1000 tour driver with upgrade shaft isn’t going to get me any value in return and will lose money in trade in or selling the head and shaft separately 

Actually, the poor trade in value on a premium item like this one makes sense to me.  Most of the people who buy Miura irons are going to want to buy new, not used.   Honestly I've never purchased golf equipment based on its trade in value, never even considered it quite honestly.  Foolish or not I think that the piece of equipment that I'm purchasing will be the last one ever.  Of course when I first started playing golf technological advances and new product releases were slow in coming.  For example, my Ping Eye 2's were as good as anything on the market for a decade, too good I guess because the USGA fought in court to have them declared illegal, even though they had approved them for play - I can never figure that organization out, they are so reactive.  At any rate I gamed those irons for over 15 years and the wedges longer than that - I still used the W from that set as my gap wedge more than 20 years after I purchased them.  So that's my thought process when purchasing.  Even when I buy a driver I'm thinking 5 years - I haven't gotten more than 2 out of the past several but 5 years is what I'm thinking.  

Whatever Miura's resale or trade in value might be I don't think it's fair to judge them on it - that's strictly a market driven matter.  They have next to no control over it.  

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

new price (custom built for you, remember) divided by the number of times you hit each club, and brought you that JOY, every stroke, you've gotten your money's worth!  Anything you get for them is doggone gravy!

• 5 months later...
On 2/22/2024 at 5:29 AM, Thumper1978 said:

I have a major complaint about Miura and there products I just would like hear anybody's else opinion on my complaint. The reason I believe you shouldn't buy Miura irons is the don't have any resale value. I have 2 sets of Miura irons so i thought I would sale one I have a set of TC 201s with custom ferrules and Aerotech Shafts on them, I paid 2400 for them if i bought from Miura it would be 2800. They are near mint played 3 rounds on them. I go to the local golf shop to see trade in they offer me $328. I was shocked but he went to show me 3 trade in websites of the value they buy them. On Ebay going for anywhere from 1000-2000. They are great irons but they cost alot of money to not have any value after pull them out of the box is a bummer. When last years Stealth HD irons have a better resale value something is wrong. Thanks for any comments. 

A different take on this would be that I purposely bought Miuras promising myself I won’t buy a set of irons for 10 years. All those years, I learned how to hit them better and really get to know the irons. One season was not just enough for me.  I am at year 11 and have not replaced them, but the only thing I did was to change the shafts from the original build. That cost $550.  If I bought new irons every other year and traded them in, I would have spent and lost so much money on trade ins.

If you are strategically looking for resale value, it’s better to find brand new discontinued limited sets or one-offs Mizuno Yoros, Titleist T stamp 681s, 680s, 670s, and Nike VR Pros. 

Edited by Bangsuk

Lol - is this a 'I've got a set of Miura's for sale' thread? Just kidding.

Either way, Miura is a fine product but it could be described as 'niche' rather than mass appealing (like the Stealth HD) so there you have the disparity in price in a nutshell. It's got nothing to do with how much you paid for them - it's all about the residual value of anyone else who wants them. And that market is limited, beyond those who see the Miura product line with the same set of eyes that covetted them in the first place.

On 2/22/2024 at 6:29 PM, Thumper1978 said:

I have a major complaint about Miura and there products I just would like hear anybody's else opinion on my complaint. The reason I believe you shouldn't buy Miura irons is the don't have any resale value. I have 2 sets of Miura irons so i thought I would sale one I have a set of TC 201s with custom ferrules and Aerotech Shafts on them, I paid 2400 for them if i bought from Miura it would be 2800. They are near mint played 3 rounds on them. I go to the local golf shop to see trade in they offer me $328. I was shocked but he went to show me 3 trade in websites of the value they buy them. On Ebay going for anywhere from 1000-2000. They are great irons but they cost alot of money to not have any value after pull them out of the box is a bummer Buy Ozempic Online Without Prescription. When last years Stealth HD irons have a better resale value something is wrong. Thanks for any comments. 

It would be great to find a truly great iron that shows that it’s head and shoulders above the rest. Is Muira it? Will these irons stay in the bag for awhile? I played many different sets over the last five years and I haven’t found any irons that differ materially from another.

Edited by sammcneill