TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylor Made SuperDeep

jamo

It's quite interesting. I understand the theory behind a deeper face (more control) but, based on that article it's only .2" deeper than the Tri. I read in another article that it was 2.74" deep, if so, then it would almost be .5" deeper.

I'm sure TM will claim significant differences in performance to justify its existence.

• SPY VIP

Did you see this nugget of information?

"It will also feature the new MWT and FCT technologies to help provide variable spin and variable launch for a total of 448 setup combinations."

Mother of all, you can play daily for a year and a half and never use the same setting. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Did you see this nugget of information?

"It will also feature the new MWT and FCT technologies to help provide variable spin and variable launch for a total of 448 setup combinations."

Mother of all, you can play daily for a year and a half and never use the same setting. :D

And then you have to get a new one, you'll be tired of it.

Either way, I am not a huge fan of the more bulbous look in drivers like the SuperDeep and the 909D3. I thought the SuperTri was/is perfectly in the middle.

A new Taylor Made Driver???? What a suprise.... or not. I predict that Super Deep will be on clearance in 12 weeks.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

http://www.golftoimpress.com/2010/02/taylormade-r9-superdeep-is-the-new-510tp/

Like I said under the title: Is the SuperTri already 3 weeks old?

It looks interesting, but I'm still more of a fan of the SuperTri.

Oh, and did I mention it is $600? Well, it is. :D

After dumping a ;load of money into the R9TP with the Fujikura Motore shaft and then adding a Fubuki 63 resulting in a driver that is 10% shorter than what I was playing I am not likely to give TM any more of my money.

We have a TM demo day at our club April 1st and my friends have been told to use any means necessary to keep me from attending. :)

Semper Fi

My Club

Ok, this question has been asked on other boards, but I'll ask it here:

Why do you get mad about TM's product cycle? I understand retailers being angry, that makes sense, but from a consumer standpoint, I know I can always wait a few months and buy a really good new driver for $200 or less.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Basically because as a consumer this is a big purchase and a bit of an event of the season for a golfer. After lots of testing, you finally decide on the $300 R7 limited. A few months later, your driver is $150 and you get free shoes. And of course the R9 is now out.

The R7 would be perfect for you, but it is hard not to buy into the newer is better ad campaigns. Does this make sense?

gettin an older model at discount is key though if the newest and shiniest is not your goal.

Volvo Intorqueo

Basically because as a consumer this is a big purchase and a bit of an event of the season for a golfer. After lots of testing, you finally decide on the $300 R7 limited. A few months later, your driver is $150 and you get free shoes. And of course the R9 is now out.

The R7 would be perfect for you, but it is hard not to buy into the newer is better ad campaigns. Does this make sense?

gettin an older model at discount is key though if the newest and shiniest is not your goal.

It makes sense, but I'm just not very sympathetic to it. Everyone knows how TM is, so why be angry about it? We all know that the new driver is 99% same as the old driver, so why buy the hype? If you're concerned about resale value, I think that's silly; outside of certain putters, no club has good resale value.

My goal is to play well, not to have the newest and shiniest. If it works for me, that's good enough, as proven by my "old" 3W and hybrid.

• SPY VIP

It makes sense, but I'm just not very sympathetic to it. Everyone knows how TM is, so why be angry about it? We all know that the new driver is 99% same as the old driver, so why buy the hype? If you're concerned about resale value, I think that's silly; outside of certain putters, no club has good resale value.

My goal is to play well, not to have the newest and shiniest. If it works for me, that's good enough, as proven by my "old" 3W and hybrid.

And that is why my driver is two cycles old. I always seek out the new and shiny, but the old 5000 is just the better club for me right now.

Not every consumer knows about the TM production cycle though. Think how it would be for someone who last had a Ping driver.

Volvo Intorqueo

And that is why my driver is two cycles old. I always seek out the new and shiny, but the old 5000 is just the better club for me right now.

Not every consumer knows about the TM production cycle though. Think how it would be for someone who last had a Ping driver.

I can understand the outrage from people who are blindsided by the cycle, but that's a pretty small group IMO. Even a casual golfer who gets the mailers from GG has to realize that they're getting stuff about a new driver/product line every couple months. Everyone on a golf forum, however, does not qualify for this first time outrage exception.

• SPY VIP

I can understand the outrage from people who are blindsided by the cycle, but that's a pretty small group IMO. Even a casual golfer who gets the mailers from GG has to realize that they're getting stuff about a new driver/product line every couple months. Everyone on a golf forum, however, does not qualify for this first time outrage exception.

I think that people would be more forgiving if it was annual like with cars. The speed of new models is just too quick.

Did Adams do this a bit last year with drivers too? Seems like they released a bunch of speedlines.

Volvo Intorqueo

I think that people would be more forgiving if it was annual like with cars. The speed of new models is just too quick.

Did Adams do this a bit last year with drivers too? Seems like they released a bunch of speedlines.

Yeah, Adams is becoming the new Taylormade in terms of shorter product cycles and being hated for it, at least on some boards. It seems to me like Adams put out about 3 lines of woods in a little over a year.

A new Taylor Made Driver???? What a suprise.... or not. I predict that Super Deep will be on clearance in 12 weeks.

Truly. Taylormade drives me crazy with this. That is why I will never own another Taylormade driver. I took a huge hit on my last Taylormade trade-in.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Have you tried the Str8-Fit? Hard to believe you would stick with the 5000 if you have...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Why do you get mad about TM's product cycle? I understand retailers being angry, that makes sense, but from a consumer standpoint, I know I can always wait a few months and buy a really good new driver for $200 or less.

I actually don't mind this. I have the Superquad which has had 6 replacements (SuperDeep, SuperTri, R9, R9 460, r7 Limited, r7 CGB Max) but it is still in my bag. For whatever reason the Suprequad has had a lot of staying power on the shelves of golf stores. For instance, a Dicks Sporting Goods near me has new ones for $250, and new TP versions for $500! I play it because it is a great head, although I wish I could reshaft it. I would love a SuperTri, but $400 is a lot of money.

I'm not really mad about it, just frustrated. From my perspesctive, when a customer buys a club and I am not allowed to discount it per the companies policies, and 3 months later he comes back and the club he paid full bore for is now on clearance, it makes me look like I am trying to cheat him. And some guys will not listen about price policy, and club cycles. All they see is the $300 driver they bought 3 months ago on clearance for $179. I'd be pissed to.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I just like to wait, hit the clubs new, and wait for the next to come out so I can get it at a discount!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I am sure that they will have another driver available in June.

You know it and it will give you another 5-15 yards.LOL. I love that all my buddies keep getting the Newest TM offering and I'm still blowing it by them with my OLD R510 DF Proto 390cc head. The best TM has ever made IMO!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Exactly, my store is full of previous year drivers from 07 and 08 Burners to R9's. The one thing I like about the superdeep is the larger head size. Original R9 was only 398cc where as superdeep is 448.

Fairways and Greens

Hey...it's the end of another week. Has Taylormade come out with a new driver for next week yet?

Sorry, I just won't buy from a company that churns, or pumps and dumps, clubs like they do.

That's when the SuperShallow will come out.

laughing uncontrollably at this! lol! :D

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

Exactly, my store is full of previous year drivers from 07 and 08 Burners to R9's. The one thing I like about the superdeep is the larger head size. Original R9 was only 398cc where as superdeep is 448.

Are you sure? According to Golfsmith, the SuperDeep is 460cc, but it does have 448 different launch conditions due to the weights and FCT. Also Taylor Made's website lists the original R9 as beig 418-422cc depending on the loft.

That's when the SuperShallow will come out.

OK, that's funny. If we still had a green button, I'd hit it for that post.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

If they keep making new drivers, there wont be any hype about them. Every year, every brand shows stuff they will be coming out months before they hit the market. If TM keeps making drivers, no one will care when the next one comes out. For example, Ping's G15s and i15s had tons of hype because the g10s came out around 3 years ago.

Taylormade and Callaway are the WORST when it comes to this sorta crap. Coming from a guy who works at a golf store.... Having a guy ask what's the difference between the Burner 460, Burner 09, R9, R9 460, Burner Superfast, R9 Supertri.... Gimme a frigggggin break. and now the R9 SuperDeep... UGH. Same scenario with Callaway too. Blah, blah, blah.

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

Archived