Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Thank you.

When I try to really rip a drive, I usually hook it. This would be because my arms are so far ahead of my body?

Well think of it this way.

Well think about it, if your hips don't rotate this leaves the shoulders closed, your arms can get out in front of the body rotation causing the club to come inside to outside, where the face is positioned to the path is where the ball will end up. Closed to the path = draw / hook, square = push, open to the path = push cut/ push slice.

You can hit a ball putting you butt/ back pointing at the target placing the ball to your lead side (left side on RH golfers) then make a pure arms swing and hit the ball straight to a draw or hook. If you make good contact there is not really a way that is going right unless you have rotated your body out of the start position. This position is actually a release drill a instructor in college taught me.

This video pretty much explains the drill well and what happens in a draw and slice.

If the body leads the club into impact it is going to create a outside to inside path.

If the club leads the body it will create a inside to outside path.

You just have to control the face to the path to hit shots, if you over cook one then just learn to time the combination of the two to tone down the curve.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 2 months later...

I'm having a weird random problem with body alignment. This happen from time to time.

I set my club face down to target, then I align my feet parallel to the target line. Took my shot and the ball goes to target accurately, but I know it's a slight pull from the divot direction.

Places a stick down my feet line and I'm aiming right of the flag.

Now I place the stick for my feet down parallel to target line and I feel like my body is aiming way to the left.

Took my shot and the ball still finds the flag.

Any experience some of you can share about the body alignment? I tend to aim my body at the flag or right of it even when I thought it's parallel to the target line.

I'm having a weird random problem with body alignment. This happen from time to time.

I set my club face down to target, then I align my feet parallel to the target line. Took my shot and the ball goes to target accurately, but I know it's a slight pull from the divot direction.

Places a stick down my feet line and I'm aiming right of the flag.

Now I place the stick for my feet down parallel to target line and I feel like my body is aiming way to the left.

Took my shot and the ball still finds the flag.

Any experience some of you can share about the body alignment? I tend to aim my body at the flag or right of it even when I thought it's parallel to the target line.

I figured that I would let someone else chime in first because I'm not technically a teaching professional this is not really my section / topic to be in.

GENERAL THOUGHTS

Please don't take this the wrong way I just want to give a little general advice on tips/ instruction.

When I work with Bruce Rearick, regardless of what I know about my swing I still shut up and listen to what he has to say and I like to pick his brain about my swing and general concepts. As a player you have to trust an instructor if you are going to ask for advice and work with a person on your game. It is completely counterproductive to tell an instructor how much you know about something, just take it as a learning experience and a different perspective. A second pair of eyes is always a good thing, when I work with Bruce Rearick on anything in my own game, I listen and ask productive questions to understand more about what I am told. If you are not sold on an instructor's knowledge ask the simple question of "why should I make that change?" If they don't have some kind of good logical answer for you then do not take that advice and find a different person to work with.

The reason that I am saying this is that I feel like I attempted to help you last year and well it really sounds like nothing has changed in your swing since the last video you posted.

QUESTION RESPONSE

Think about how a pull has to happen:

~ face square to the path

~ path is outside to inside to the target line

The last time we talked you have a two-plane (vertical) and a lot of one-plane (rotational) downswing. You either get stuck (push or draw/hook = flipping into impact), or cast over the top to get the club out in front of you coming outside to inside the line (slices, pulls, something that starts left)

You have two options because it sounds like the same swing I looked at last year:

1) change your backswing to a one-plane rotational swing

2) change your downswing to be more lateral slide and less rotational to match the vertical backswing

Nothing is easy to change obviously but for me when I was making swing changes over the last year or less myself the backswing positions are easier to hit then the downswing sequence changes. This is likely because the backswing takes roughly 3times longer to make then the downswing does. The downswing just happens a lot faster.

Good luck with the swing.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I hit the ball rather high with my irons. I don't take much of a divot with anything, yet I can still spin everything from a 8i on up on the green, so I know I'm hitting the ball crisply. Could it be that I need stiffer shafts?

No divot but high ball flight means you're obviously adding loft at impact. I would think that you never get off your back foot and flip at it through impact. Prob not a shaft issue but the fact that you don't make a descending blow into the ball with your hands in front of the club head at impact.

• 1 year later...

Since there is a "best ball striker" thread going on.... how does one become a good ball striker? If there is one aspect of the game that I really want to be good/better at, other than putting, it is to be a good ball striker.

I have finally learned how to hit with a descending blow, after almost 2 seasons of making the effort to learn how. The problem I now have is that, I hit fat/before the ball more than I'd like. I'm fairly consistent but I tend to hit fat or thin at least a few times in a round. How do I consistently hit the ball first, and then take a divot?

• 2 years later...

Need some sage advice:

As the weather has been warming up, I'm hitting the range 2-3x week. I'm hitting everything from driver through PW is very consistently and reliably. I'm even practicing 3w off the deck. I've never felt comfortable enough to hit more than 5w from the turf. I'm feeling that good.

BUT

I'm pushing my GW, SW, and LW to the right. Would this be due to the offset of my irons, as compared to the wedges? Irons are Mizzy JPX 825 Pro. Wedges are MP-T4.

Or should I just be opening my stance more with the wedges as I am not going to be clearing my hips with the slower swing?

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Need some sage advice:

As the weather has been warming up, I'm hitting the range 2-3x week. I'm hitting everything from driver through PW is very consistently and reliably. I'm even practicing 3w off the deck. I've never felt comfortable enough to hit more than 5w from the turf. I'm feeling that good.

BUT

I'm pushing my GW, SW, and LW to the right. Would this be due to the offset of my irons, as compared to the wedges? Irons are Mizzy JPX 825 Pro. Wedges are MP-T4.

Or should I just be opening my stance more with the wedges as I am not going to be clearing my hips with the slower swing?

Sent you a PM (disclaimer *im no pro*)

- Da Yooper

@og_shankster (instagram)

• 1 month later...

I have a 112 mph driver swing (just my normal swing).  My driver is a cobra fly-Z (9.5 degrees) and I am playing a BiMatrx Orange - X Flex - 46', .335" Tip (80gm) shaft.  Since I have started using this driver (had a stiff shaft - stock when I first got it) I have noticed that this seems to be ballooning as compared to my Taylormade SLDR driver.  I switched to the extra stiff shaft thinking that this may help and it has not done so.  I am sure that I am loosing at least 20 yards as compared to my previous driver due to this ballooning.  Is there a general fix (I know nothing is simple) that I could use or try to stop this from happening.  I would use the old driver but the face has a crack in it.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

a. Srixon Z745 Irons - Stiff flex - standard lie and length 

b. Cobra Fly-Z Driver - 9.5 extra stiff bimatrix shaft

c. Right handed

d. Stafford, VA

e. 4.6 handicap

Interesting bump of an old topic as I was thinking about this  very type of thread this morning and wodering if Burke or any other current or recent Pros would be interested in chiming in on questions. 

I guess Golf Circut or JMiller aren't around anymore?   I read some of the replies and they had some good stuff. 

So anyone around/qualified and interested in taking the torch?

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Yes... this is uncanny. I was thinking this morning that it would be cool if some of our forum club fitters, Pros, superintendents, etc. could in some way have a badge or something identifying them as such. Perhaps a badge showing their professional affiliation, etc.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yes... this is uncanny. I was thinking this morning that it would be cool if some of our forum club fitters, Pros, superintendents, etc. could in some way have a badge or something identifying them as such. Perhaps a badge showing their professional affiliation, etc.

That's a great idea Plaid.   I'd be happy to sport a Golf Tournament Sales Badge  :D

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 4 weeks later...

Here is something that you might be able to help with. I got fit for my irons a couple of years ago. I was fitted to standard length and 2 degrees flat (static measurements also suggested that). Since then I have improved significantly and one of those improvements was stopping my early extension. I recently got my lofts lies checked and now I'm 4 degrees flat. I got my irons adjusted but I wonder whether I should adjust my setup to bring this back to 2 degrees or keep my irons and wedges at 4 degrees. I worry this will negatively impact things going forward and promote bad habits.

Would appreciate any feedback on this.

WITB

Titleist 917D2 Driver - Speeder Evolution 757 Tour (Stiff)

Titleist 915F Fairway (15 degree) - Diamana 70g (Stiff)

Titleist 915H Hybrids (21 and 24 degree) - Adila Rogue 85H (Stiff)

Mizuno MP54 Irons (5-P) - Nippon NS Pro 950 (Stiff), 2 degrees flat

Mizuno MPT5 Wedges (50,54,58), 2 degrees flat 

Scotty Cameron Futura X7 (33')

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon all- does anyone have a few drills to help me stop swaying forward (lateral shift toward the left - I play right handed) on the downswing?  I often end up forward of the where the golf ball was, with a block or push fade.  When I concentrate  and think "Stay behind the ball" I can catch it from the inside, get my little draw and a resultant good swing, but my frequent miss is that hip slide instead of a good turn...

Thanks

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Good afternoon all- does anyone have a few drills to help me stop swaying forward (lateral shift toward the left - I play right handed) on the downswing? I often end up forward of the where the golf ball was, with a block or push fade. When I concentrate and think "Stay behind the ball" I can catch it from the inside, get my little draw and a resultant good swing, but my frequent miss is that hip slide instead of a good turn...

Thanks

I had one I used for a while because I would sway a lot in both directions.

Just hit some balls on the range with your feet together. Try it with all your clubs. It's that simple.

I put it into my pre shot routine for a while till I finally got the feel. Now I'll just do some dry swings from time to time when I'm waiting for the group in front of me.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I had one I used for a while because I would sway a lot in both directions.

Just hit some balls on the range with your feet together. Try it with all your clubs. It's that simple.

I put it into my pre shot routine for a while till I finally got the feel. Now I'll just do some dry swings from time to time when I'm waiting for the group in front of me.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

*Great tip*!!!

To try and expand on that a bit...

A swing key I got from a very patient (!) instructor a few years ago was:

* Winding and Unwinding

The feet together drill helps me work on balance and weight shift; while turning back I think of the "winding up" phase and when turning forward I think of the "unwinding" phase.

It's a great warm-up and also a really great tension reducer and get your body ready for the next shot move.

Another term you may have heard is "swinging inside a barrel" (or a cylinder) .. this visualization may help with reducing the lateral movements.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 11 months later...

A video of your swing would be pretty helpful.

Having driver problems.....all my shots are hooking....even my irons have a big draw in the flight

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Having driver problems.....all my shots are hooking....even my irons have a big draw in the flight

Could be all kinds of reasons, which is why the video would be nice.  

Could be grip

Could be stance

Could be ball position

you know... the basic fundamentals.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Question about tempo and swing speed: My SS on mid and long irons seems OK given my age and lower back pain (high 70s, tops out at 82), but my driver swing speed is only a few mph higher.  While demoing a 3W I mentioned it to the fitter (a PGA teaching pro) who suggested it might be a tempo issue.  I know from using a Zepp analyzer that my tempo is pretty inconsistent, but even when it is pretty smooth (2.9:1 or 3:1), I rarely reach 90 and usually more in the mid-80s.  I am working on tempo with the Zepp and a golf metronome.

Is there anything else I could be doing to pick up a little more swing speed on the driver?

Thanks for any insights.

• 8 months later...

I didn't read through the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this was already touched.  Right now, I'm struggling with my chipping and the consistency that should be there.  I don't have a lot of confidence that I can get a put up and down with I miss the GIR.  I'm looking for some tips and drills that I could implement to practice a little bit more.  I've tried the forward press of the hands and closing the face down a little and chopping down on the ball.  I've also tried the little forward press with keeping the wrists out of the swing, but I seem to chunk a lot of these chips.  I used to fully use the 60 deg when chipping.  Now I'll use lower lofted clubs to get the ball on the ground quicker.  

Mainly, I feel like I have no touch right now with these shots and I'd really like to have that back.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

1 hour ago, Markelly82 said:

I didn't read through the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this was already touched.  Right now, I'm struggling with my chipping and the consistency that should be there.  I don't have a lot of confidence that I can get a put up and down with I miss the GIR.  I'm looking for some tips and drills that I could implement to practice a little bit more.  I've tried the forward press of the hands and closing the face down a little and chopping down on the ball.  I've also tried the little forward press with keeping the wrists out of the swing, but I seem to chunk a lot of these chips.  I used to fully use the 60 deg when chipping.  Now I'll use lower lofted clubs to get the ball on the ground quicker.  

Mainly, I feel like I have no touch right now with these shots and I'd really like to have that back.  

The forward press is your issue. This is going to cause the leading edge to dig in. The old school mentality of ball back, shaft lean hit the ball first leaves very little room for error.

also look at andrew rice who has done several videos on chips and pitches 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

^^^  Agreed.  A more upright club exposes the bounce and bounce is your friend.  Need a little more weight on forward foot.

The only time I use forward shaft lean on a chip is when I am very close to the green and stroke it like a putt to get the ball on the green quickly and roll.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thank you for the information.  I tried youtubing chips and got way to many results.  Sometimes it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

2 minutes ago, Markelly82 said:

Thank you for the information.  I tried youtubing chips and got way to many results.  Sometimes it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.  

The key thing imo if going the YouTube pro and self taught is find a channel that the teaching/explanation makes sense to you and stick primarily with that one.  Lots of good channels out there.  My preferences in no order are: meandmygolf, Danny Maude, Chris Ryan, Andrew Rice.  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

stroke it like a putt to get the ball on the green

^^ THIS ^^

..is the best chipping advice!

Use a simple straight back / straight through putting stroke with no body movement. Call it a putt-chip, or a chip-putt. Then just vary the club used based on carry vs roll.

It works!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Golf.com has a post of a video with Phil showing a chipping technique. It’s very similar to what Butch Harmon teaches. Note the forward press.

IMG_9322.thumb.jpg.ab6e66c5552a21d0e0180f42421c59b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Wedge motions are just that motions.  Nothing locked down:  bad plan to 'leave the wrists' or any other part of your body out of it!  I usually find that my students begin to regain control of the their wedge shots when they improve how to interact with the ground.  First, don't get the leading edge stuck by having the handle too far forward at impact.  You want to learn to release the sole/bounce of the club into the ground.  You want to hear a thud but never take a divot - at least not inside 30 yards.  Most data shows 3-8* of forward shaft lean.  That isn't very much lean.  Once you hit the ball solid without ground interruption you can then regain distance and trajectory control.  

How does one release the sole to the ground.  It can be done with the wrists, body or combination.  My preference is a combination. 

1. Learn to properly use the wrists. (technique)

2. Learn to use the body correctly. (technique)

3. Learn to blend the two to create a solid strike. (technique)

4. Learn to hit multiple trajectories & distances with a highly lofted wedge by moving the ball position and not changing the swing. (skill)

5. Learn to select the correct shot and club to provide the easiest solution to each situation.  (skill, Golf IQ, & decision making)

I'd highly suggest you rid yourself of the idea that the face should be pointing to the ground.  

Good luck!

27 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

Wedge motions are just that motions.  Nothing locked down:  bad plan to 'leave the wrists' or any other part of your body out of it!  I usually find that my students begin to regain control of the their wedge shots when they improve how to interact with the ground.  First, don't get the leading edge stuck by having the handle too far forward at impact.  You want to learn to release the sole/bounce of the club into the ground.  You want to hear a thud but never take a divot - at least not inside 30 yards.  Most data shows 3-8* of forward shaft lean.  That isn't very much lean.  Once you hit the ball solid without ground interruption you can then regain distance and trajectory control.  

How does one release the sole to the ground.  It can be done with the wrists, body or combination.  My preference is a combination. 

1. Learn to properly use the wrists. (technique)

2. Learn to use the body correctly. (technique)

3. Learn to blend the two to create a solid strike. (technique)

4. Learn to hit multiple trajectories & distances with a highly lofted wedge by moving the ball position and not changing the swing. (skill)

5. Learn to select the correct shot and club to provide the easiest solution to each situation.  (skill, Golf IQ, & decision making)

I'd highly suggest you rid yourself of the idea that the face should be pointing to the ground.  

Good luck!

It does take practice... continuous practice!  Practice with correct technique to develop the skill, then continuous practice to develop and maintain feel for each type of shot.  It's amazing how quickly feel is lost when you aren't practicing.

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

It does take practice... continuous practice!  Practice with correct technique to develop the skill, then continuous practice to develop and maintain feel for each type of shot.  It's amazing how quickly feel is lost when you aren't practicing.

Great technique takes less time to get the feel back than bad technique.  Life is easier with function technique unless you have tons of time to practice.