Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

7 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

Great technique takes less time to get the feel back than bad technique.  Life is easier with function technique unless you have tons of time to practice.  

Most of us don't have great technique, I would venture to say.  Particularly those of us that started playing golf late in life.  Now that I'm retired, I have more time to practice both technique and feel, but you are right... it's hard to get a feel for short game shots with poor, inconsistent technique.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 months later...

is there anyway to measure if i am taking the club back too far on the inside in the first say two foot of the swing, right before handshake?  When is it too much?  I fight hitting it off the toe all the time because i am coming over the top  slightly resulting in a weak cut that is always 10yds+ short of the target.  If i come really inside on the backswing, i can nail the ball straight (maybe 4 yd draw) with all my power.  the problem is that i feel like when i do this, i am really exagerating the move inside.  guess what i am getting at is what should be the feeling of a proper takeaway as far as where my hands and club head are at.  I have read all over the place and just can't seem to get the answer that makes some sense in my mind.  Just trying to work on something real versus how i feel it.

also, for some reason, i feel like i am adding loft to everything i hit and resulting in shortened distances especially with full wedge shots.  Is there some feeling or good drill to make me present the correct loft at impact?  Yes, i know, different topic, but while i am at it.....

thanks,

Edited by Jbhollon
add to question

also, second question.   my son who is 15 has been taking lessons for 5 years now and making good progress has a huge issue with keeping the left arm straight and making a full rotation on the backswing.  What is your opinion on keeping the left arm straight all the way through impact?  the reason i ask is it seems full of tension and i also see a lot of players, pro and am, that bend their left elbow on the way back to varying degrees with success.  Just wanted to see some thought on this.

thanks,

• 4 weeks later...
Driver Basics For Longer Straighter Golf Shots, I am following it and it works very well for me.I am following it and it works very well for me. Watch this video and you will see what I speak.Watch this video and you will see what I speak  http://bit.ly/2MwLz5Vhttp://bit.ly/2MwLz5V

Spammer?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

16 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Spammer?

Undoubtedly. I flagged it.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2019 at 12:52 PM, Jbhollon said:

is there anyway to measure if i am taking the club back too far on the inside in the first say two foot of the swing, right before handshake?  When is it too much?  I fight hitting it off the toe all the time because i am coming over the top  slightly resulting in a weak cut that is always 10yds+ short of the target.  If i come really inside on the backswing, i can nail the ball straight (maybe 4 yd draw) with all my power.  the problem is that i feel like when i do this, i am really exagerating the move inside.  guess what i am getting at is what should be the feeling of a proper takeaway as far as where my hands and club head are at.  I have read all over the place and just can't seem to get the answer that makes some sense in my mind.  Just trying to work on something real versus how i feel it.

also, for some reason, i feel like i am adding loft to everything i hit and resulting in shortened distances especially with full wedge shots.  Is there some feeling or good drill to make me present the correct loft at impact?  Yes, i know, different topic, but while i am at it.....

thanks,

OK - there is a lot going on in the question.  Is there a way to measure:  nothing outside of GEARS or the similar will measure club/hand positioning on the back swing.  I'd suggest placing an object in the way.  It's the simplest form of feedback. 

I'd also suggest that you stop looking for a feel or drill!  Learn to do it correctly and determine what correct feels like.  Now it is your feel!  

I haven't told you how to solve it because I don't know what you are doing.  I'd only be able to make a suggestion based on viewing a swing.  

On 9/30/2019 at 1:04 PM, Jbhollon said:

also, second question.   my son who is 15 has been taking lessons for 5 years now and making good progress has a huge issue with keeping the left arm straight and making a full rotation on the backswing.  What is your opinion on keeping the left arm straight all the way through impact?  the reason i ask is it seems full of tension and i also see a lot of players, pro and am, that bend their left elbow on the way back to varying degrees with success.  Just wanted to see some thought on this.

thanks,

Lead arm straight is not a fundamental.  Based on some various points of data, the best players tend to have a mostly straight but not extended lead arm in the back swing and a softer arm approaching impact.  Again, very tough to diagnose without a video or club data (trackman/GCQuad/Flightscope).  Anything would be a guess and guessing and trying are horrible ways to improve.