TESTERS WANTED! ×

I think that most of the time my left hand V points to my chin and maybe my right ear, I am conferrable getting it as weak as my left ear at times on short shots.

One thing I didn't consider might be the issue is that my club face is actually slightly open at address rather then square causing the ball to have a fade bias more then a slight draw bias.

Anyways, the question still remains really, what are the recommendations that you might give a player that is making a grip change to make it feel more natural on the golf course. I have been at night just gripping and re-gripping my club to the point where I know it is as strong as I would ever want to play it. Reputation seems to be helping a lot.

You've got the right idea - bring a club to the office with you and just practice the same thing. Take your grip how you want it, put the club down, and repeat. wink.gif

Golf Circuit

James, Golf Circuit Resident PGA Pro

MGS_logo_default.jpg

You've got the right idea - bring a club to the office with you and just practice the same thing. Take your grip how you want it, put the club down, and repeat. wink.gif

I actually figured out what it was on the range yesterday that was promoting my cut and in ability to hit a draw. The shaft actually slipped more into the Palm of my hands rather then the fingers. I used a 9 pane drill, to test the workability and trajectory control of getting the grip more in the fingers then the palm.

High cut, High straight, High draw

Middle cut, Middle straight, Middle draw

Low cut, Low straight, Low draw

It worked very well, I even had another pane on the left side and right side on high slice, middle slice, low hook, middle hook. It was amazing practice tee season once I found the grip correction.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I like James - I keep a club in my office and grip it all the time - I have a two room suite which is really nice - I keep the club in the back room where no one can see me - I also have two mirrors in there so I can do some mirror work -

I often put in 12 hour days and this lets me at least hold a club every day.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The good thing for me is that it's a lot easier to move where the shaft passes through the palm of the hand then changing where the V is pointing at your body.

As Hogan said in his book you should have calluses in 4 major locations on the top hand. One at the base of the middle, ring and pinky finger then one just bellow the fat part of the palm up from the pinky... I happened to be a little shallow through the palm, i didn't have the pinky callus and the one on my palm was in the center of the fat part of my hand... Just translates the shaft being in a position the wrists hing less and don't release as easily, good anti-hook position basically. I Got the grip move more in the pinky finger and fat part of my palm near the pinky on top of the club and been swinging a lot easier with more face control.

However yes, I do sit around the house on rainy days right now just gripping and re-gripping the club. I noticed that the more the grip gets into my palm the more the V starts moving to my left ear rather then being more right ear to right collar bone.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I have those calluses! Also have one on the pad between the knuckles on my ring finger. I had to stop playing cord grips a few years ago these calluses got so bad.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I've got them too but I also have a puzzler that perhaps someone can help me with - maybe even the boss man James.

I get bruising on the pointer finer on my right hand - the better I'm striking the ball the more pronounced the bruising. I use a very straight forward Vardon grip that's a shade on the strong side of neutral.

Any thoughts on why this would be?

Like I said the better I'm hitting it the more pronounced the bruising.

Oh yeah I'm a right handed golfer so the right hand is my bottom hand.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I found a good image of what I was talking about before of where the grip hits the palm. I move my grip from the C position to the D position and started working like I wanted it too, was able to work the ball how I like.

GripPositions.jpg

For my right hand it sort of looks like a toned down Erine Else Position with the right pointer, my right pointer finger tip and thumb actually touch each other

Els-rightpalmgrip2.jpg

Els-fullgrip.jpg

I've got them too but I also have a puzzler that perhaps someone can help me with - maybe even the boss man James.

I get bruising on the pointer finer on my right hand - the better I'm striking the ball the more pronounced the bruising. I use a very straight forward Vardon grip that's a shade on the strong side of neutral.

Any thoughts on why this would be?

Like I said the better I'm hitting it the more pronounced the bruising.

Oh yeah I'm a right handed golfer so the right hand is my bottom hand.

I am not an expert but I can take a poke at this. I would have to assume that this is being caused from a right handed release and strike. You I would assume that you are a very hand hand dominant striker of the golf ball. Do You feel that you use the right hand to manipulate the face to create shot shapes or the left?

I am a right hand dominant player, but over the years I have had to learn how to feel like my right hand is passive just before impact and from that point forward. Really using the left wrist and arm to control the strike and face. Phil and VJ we have all seen videos of their swings where there lower hand is almost completely off the golf club.

If you start with a neutral top hand position, at impact. Wrist position of top hand controls the face angle. bowed top wrist = closed face (Hogan was famous for this), flat top wrist = square face, cupped top wrist = open face. You can shape shots by changing the top wrist position, or just changing the swing path to the target line with a flat left wrist. Assuming you have Target A (the line where the ball starts on) and Target B (where you want the ball to end up going). The two methods are close to the same but minor changes.

For me I tend to FEEL like I am using wrist manipulation for my shot shaping, but I will subconsciously open my stance a hair on a cut, close it a hair on a draw. Anything more then a 5 to 8 yard movement is going to have to be wrist manipulation for me.

I think that might be the case JMiller - my normal shot is a fairly high draw (2 or 3 yarder). I do like to feel that right hand releasing through the ball and have to be very careful to make sure that I'm griping it lightly with my right hand or I leave the ball a bit right (to tight a grip and the release is late.)

Interestingly I don't manipulate the club with my hands to hit a fade - I set the club open a bit left of target and then set my stance for the starter line - I have to really focus on pulling the club through with my left hand and letting the open clubface hit the ball high or else I'll get a double cross. Experience has taught me that when I'm trying to hit a fade or a slice it's a block fade or slice and so I have to aim a bit further left.

I hit a really nice one on Tuesday with my five hybrid - freaked the guy out who I was playing with because I originally said that I would hit an 8 iron over the tree and then play from 175 into the green - he walked to his ball and on second look I released that I could get my 5 hybrid over the left side of the tree and cut it back thereby getting it down inside of 130 - creamed it and since I hit it so high out of the rough down wind I got it to the 100. Set up a really nice blocked short sided wedge into the trap. :angry:

I can draw/hook anything about any amount that you'd want either by manipulating the club with my hands or the more traditional way aligning my feet right and closing the clubface - I generally go the hands route because it's so natural for me. I played baseball for so long and was a pitcher up through High School and a catcher as well (into college.) So I just see the ball going right to left and understand the spin axis needed to make that happen really well. (A curve, slider, cut fastball from a right handed pitcher)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Great stuff guys! I would tend to agree that if you're getting bruising on any of your fingers you are likely trying to control the club too much with your hands. I always feel like their only job is to keep the club from going flying - nothing more. To try and control a complex high speed movement like the golf swing with tiny little muscles like the ones in your hands and fingers is a futile exercise that usually causes inconsistent results at best.

That being said, I always felt like the pointer finger of the trail hand (right hand for right handed golfers) should be chopped off. I don't think it does any good. All the magic happens in the ring and index fingers.

Also, I really don't like the way that the index finger is positioned in the last picture that jmiller posted. When I see players hook their index finger around the grip like that it is usually a sign that they are going to try and steer the whole thing with that helpless little digit.

Have you considered amputation? wink.gif

Golf Circuit

MGS_logo_default.jpg

James the lowest two pictures I posted are of Ernie Els grip position. Here is the Leadbetter grip as you see even he does a little bit a of a trigger finger with the right index. Both use some extent of a what I would call a "trigger finger" with the lower hand's index finger.

LeadbetterHundred-fullgrip.jpg

Control of the face of the golf club is always coming from the top hand, most of us use a golf glove on our top hand only, there is probably a reason that is done. I agree with James here that the lower hand is for nothing but power, no face control or attempt to steer the face with that lower hand.

The issue is that most people play golf with their dominant hand low on the club, it gives a natural sensation to want to control the shot with that hand. You really pretty much are completely done with the right hand once that arm is fully extended, it does nothing but give power into the back of the ball, you could completely drop that hand off the shaft just before impact and hit the same shot.

I used to play Ice Hockey growing up as some of you probably read before in the "talent vs potential" thread. Played for 10 years and played to a AA travel level. In ice hockey you are told as a child that you should use your dominant hand on top of the stick holding the stick to the left of your body as a right hand dominate person. The control of the blade on a ice hockey stick comes from the top hand on the stick. The power of the shots comes from the lower hand on the stick. I personally was a guy that played with my left hand on top of my ice hockey stick I just learned how to control the blade for shot placement, I also had the advantage of my power hand giving me the shot speed my "slap shot" was one of the hardest shots in my league.

I have always wondered if players in golf would actually benefit from doing the ice hockey method of which side to hold the club, left or right. Meaning that majority of golfers like NHL players would be "left handed" or holding the stick / club to the left of their body. This would give you the control of the lead hand in golf and then the passive power of the travailing hand.

Just curious, have you ever coached someone through that change? If so, how did it go?

I have never even attempted to hit a ball left handed beyond the very rare flipping the club over when I'm against an obstacle. I would think it would be like starting all over again.

I do know right handers that have tinkered with putting left handed for a while but never known any to stick with it.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Just curious, have you ever coached someone through that change? If so, how did it go?

I have never even attempted to hit a ball left handed beyond the very rare flipping the club over when I'm against an obstacle. I would think it would be like starting all over again.

I do know right handers that have tinkered with putting left handed for a while but never known any to stick with it.

Are you talking to me or James? Are you referring to the change of playing right handed into left handed?

My wife wanted to try and play golf, I bought her a RH 6 iron at first and she just had the "kill it" mentality, and a lot of swing faults beginners have a hard time getting out of, it is most of the time from a softball / baseball background (she played softball). I made the call to try it left handed so I bought a 6 iron that was left handed. She really saw some great improvements in the golf swing by making the switch. We have since bought a set of irons that are left handed for her and she hits a 7iron 120 not terrible and I want to say it's a dang draw! I couldn't be more excited to see a draw from her as a very new / beginner that is sweet. Her short game (chipping & pitching) is really good actually as they are lead arm dominant strikes anyways. I haven't gotten her into a bunker just yet don't think she is confident enough to do those shots.

I have attempted to make a few shots with her clubs and it is a little funky feeling first few swings, i can't turn of the ball that well, make about a 1/2 to 3/4 swing, my short game is pretty good when doing it left handed and I can turn my RH clubs over and hit a trouble shot left handed pretty easily. With anything you are going to have to develop the feel for correct positions in the backswing that create shots, but over time I think it would be beneficial to anyone that just can't seem to get golf right handed and are right hand dominant players.

In ice hockey when you are teaching a child to play you give them a stick that doesn't have any curve to the blade at all so that they can switch back and forth between holding it on the right side of their body or the left side of their body. They will eventually settle into a side that is most conferable for them. A lot of times that is with their dominant hand on top of the stick.

In golf I think buying a RH 6 iron and a LH 6 iron allowing the player to make swings with each one then sticking to the one that just feels betters to them is also a great idea to start children out in the sport.

Thanks James - I try to keep that right hand as loose as possible - perhaps I think it's loose and it's not - I will be watching for that.

My bad shots are either blocks or hooks - I have no doubt that the right hand is the culprit in the blocks - I believe that my hips are the culprits with the hooks.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thanks James - I try to keep that right hand as loose as possible - perhaps I think it's loose and it's not - I will be watching for that.

My bad shots are either blocks or hooks - I have no doubt that the right hand is the culprit in the blocks - I believe that my hips are the culprits with the hooks.

That sounds like the old Tiger Woods "o lay" position. By that I mean the hips fire so hard the hands get "stuck" behind the body, the only thing you can do from there is flip the head closed to hit a hook, or push it. Here is a Video of Tiger Woods and Butch Harmon, Tiger mentions this position in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplQjd6ZP88

I personally hate it when I see someone falling asleep over the ball. James or whomever wants to answer this, what would you do to suggest to someone on how not to fall asleep over the ball with 100 swing thoughts and alignment checks and silly stuff before making a swing?

I personally hate it when I see someone falling asleep over the ball. James or whomever wants to answer this, what would you do to suggest to someone on how not to fall asleep over the ball with 100 swing thoughts and alignment checks and silly stuff before making a swing?

To quote a terrible ( but fun nonetheless ) movie:

"Let the Big Dog Eat" or "Grip it and rip it" :)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

A while ago I had a situation where the ball was top of the chest high because it was sitting on the side of a very steep hill. How would you (or any of the low cappers) recommend playing this shot?

What I did and don't recommend is whacking at it, causing it to dribble the rest of the way down the hill, then I took a more normal shot from heavy rough...

Take them into the pro shop and crumple up a piece of paper. Then get a wastebasket and ask them to throw the paper into the wastebasket. After they complete the task, ask them if they thought about how they were going to move their elbow or when they were going to release their grip on the paper, or if they just looked at the wastebasket and threw it in.

That sometimes helps get the idea across. biggrin.gif

Golf Circuit

MGS_logo_default.jpg

A while ago I had a situation where the ball was top of the chest high because it was sitting on the side of a very steep hill. How would you (or any of the low cappers) recommend playing this shot?

What I did and don't recommend is whacking at it, causing it to dribble the rest of the way down the hill, then I took a more normal shot from heavy rough...

For a ball above my feet regardless of the amount, I see two main options to making good contact.

1) take more club and choke down on the club some, could be choking down all the way on the steel at some points if it is real bad.

2) take a back swing that has more rotation then vertical lift. When the ball is sitting chest high it is pretty much all rotation.

For a ball bellow my feet I just have to add knee flex to get my body lowered to the ball making sure to keep my spine angle normal. There are times where I have had to get down onto one knee with one leg in a bunker and the other out, or even on a really bad slop getting down on both knees to get low enough to make a swing.

In either case above or bellow your feet the worst the situation the more your objective is to make good contact and take your stroke to get it back into a more playable location. Make a very smooth swing and don't try to get too much out of the bad situation.

Agreed with jmiller and will add the following advice. When the ball is below the feet think of sitting on a bar stool to get enough knee flex. If it's pronounced you really have to stay down on the ball and not try and get too much out of it.

I also think it's very important to find a spot behind or in front of the ball that is as similar to the stance/lie you'll face and take a number of practice swings to see where the club will contact the ground - that will help you play the ball in the proper spot in your stance and to choke up enough when the ball is above your feet.

You want to be comfortable before hitting the shot so that you don't have to think about what you're doing while you're hitting it -

I had three terrible ball below the feet lies on Tuesday - I was 2/3 in terms of executing good shots - the other one was complicated by the fact that I was in thick, gnarly rough - at least I got the ball across the hazzard that I had to cross but I didn't get it anywhere near the green - the 2 1/2 inch bermuda just grapped my club and twisted it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've never had a shot that high before....I imagine I'd be swinging at it like someone threw me a hard high fastball :)

But I bet I'd get the same result as you ;)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Good advice from the boys! I would add that whenever you have a crazy lie like that, make sure you are using a club that you feel comfortable with, and take a 3/4 swing. You're not going to be hitting any miracle shots, so make a conservative plan that you feel confident with.

Club up, choke down, and make a nice controlled swing.

Golf Circuit

MGS_logo_default.jpg

"Club up, choke down, and make a nice controlled swing" could work all the way round the course!!!!!!!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

"Club up, choke down, and make a nice controlled swing" could work all the way round the course!!!!!!!

I agree completely, I think it takes a long time for golfers to finally get it in their head that you don't need to work hard in your body to hit the ball a long way, you just need good swing sequencing.

Tour Pro talk about their reserve distance in the tank that when they need a little extra they can reach down and get a little more from it. If you are always swinging at 100% there is no way to leave something in the tank for reserve. So they have to be swinging 60 to 80% of their full potential power.

It is always better to have a ball safe in the middle of the fairway then in a place it costs you one or more strokes to recover from. Sitting here watching The Open man you find a bunker you would be toast 9 times out of 10. Thus why a lot of people are playing fairway, hybrid, 2iron off the tee boxes on par 4s and par 5s. A ton of course management and course strategy going on this week, love to see it get talked about so much on TV as it is one topic most players don't even consider.

To add:

Tour pros and any top level player does not just send the ball way out there into the fairway. He looks for a favorable place for his second shot that will be comfortable and advantageous for a shot at the flag. This is one of the advantages of a long player. He does not need to shoot full every time even with a Driver in hand but is always shooting at a target.

Shambles

To add:

Tour pros and any top level player does not just send the ball way out there into the fairway. He looks for a favorable place for his second shot that will be comfortable and advantageous for a shot at the flag. This is one of the advantages of a long player. He does not need to shoot full every time even with a Driver in hand but is always shooting at a target.

Shambles

Frankly it's the advantage of any player with half a brain - I may not be the longest but if the rough is up I can hit it on the green pretty consistently from the fairway at 200 and not so consistently from the rough at 170.

Tour pros are another matter - sometimes they will take postion and angle over fairway - if the rough is not up I will do the same - may be far better to be in the so called rough with a good angle to the pin than the fairway on the other side or worse yet in the fairway in a spot that took on the pond.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Golf is a funny game, one day you have it firing on all cylinders and golf is so easy. Then the next day it is a grind just to keep from drowning into a terrible score and round. We here it on the tour all the time "It is really hard to back up a really low round with another low round the next day".

I am wanting to know what exactly makes this happen, obviously if it happens to the best players in the world it can't be something in the swing or can it?

Anyone want to share their opinion or give advise on this subject?

This situation happened to me recently, I played 9 holes after work on Friday shot a bogey free 3 under 33. Then the very next day on the same 9 hole stretch I scrapped it around just to shot a 39. I won't really talk about the back 9 on Saturday as it was a complete disaster. Something was different and it wasn't my mental state. The only thing I have come up with is that my tempo was just a slight bit different from Friday into Saturday, the swing positions felt exactly the same.

Man if I had the answer to that question JMiller I'd be rich.

For those of us who work day jobs I think that stress of life plays a huge factor in how we play. Are we able to forget about what happened at work or is it sitting there just beneath the surface? If you do anyting physcial (obviously my job isn't physical but for me it could be lifting my daughter wrong) sometimes that tweak is just enough to through the tempo/timing of the swing off.

The bigger thing though seems to be putting - when that's on the score comes regardless of how well I hit the ball - at least at the level I'm at - I don't hit it far enough to get into that much trouble there. Honestly my entire game is designed to allow my putting to shine - so long as it does or at least semi-does - I'm fine - when it goes south and sometimes it does and who knows why - well then it's all over.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Man if I had the answer to that question JMiller I'd be rich.

For those of us who work day jobs I think that stress of life plays a huge factor in how we play. Are we able to forget about what happened at work or is it sitting there just beneath the surface? If you do anyting physcial (obviously my job isn't physical but for me it could be lifting my daughter wrong) sometimes that tweak is just enough to through the tempo/timing of the swing off.

The bigger thing though seems to be putting - when that's on the score comes regardless of how well I hit the ball - at least at the level I'm at - I don't hit it far enough to get into that much trouble there. Honestly my entire game is designed to allow my putting to shine - so long as it does or at least semi-does - I'm fine - when it goes south and sometimes it does and who knows why - well then it's all over.

I think there is more than a grain of truth to the theory that many golfers play better after a beer (more than one and things go back the other way). It is a social lubricant. The alcohol places the stress of life outside the game on the backburner and allows the player to 'just swing'. All this, for the very reasons you mention. Some days, our bodies and minds simply aren't in the here and now, and because of that, we overswing, overthink and most importantly fail to focus. The end results are the 99 Monday,89 Wed, 79 Saturday rounds.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus