TESTERS WANTED! ×

Man, I have been on this site constantly since November, I leave page open and flip to often through out the day, especially when I need a break, and for some reason I have ignored this thread. As Phil said, "I am an idiot!' because there has been some good stuff.

First off, the calluses thing. I do not use a golf except when I am really sweating. This is mainly because if you play every day then you have to have a glove budget. I was needing a new glove every two or three weeks. When I had the multi compound grips. I went to the softer tour wraps and no more glove and it was easier on the hands. Also, I have added a lot of tape beneath oversized grips. A girp is 13" so every two inches I have a wrap of tape. Starting at the base of the club I have 3 wraps, then 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 wraps. This makes the grip huge. This accomplishes two things, first, it quiets the hands and second it reduces calluses drastically.

My calluses have subsided in recent months. I really only have small calluses from my wedding ring and my class ring (Texas A&M University) However, I changed from the interlocking grip to the Vardon grip and I now have a calluse that is very sensative on the side of my left index finger on my left hand and the wing finger of my right hand. This may be the bruising that Rev was talking about, I do not know because I do not bruise. This is almost a curse because many times I have hurt something and I have nothing to show for it. If I bruised at least I could say I have a bruise, but for what ever medical reason there is, I have no color change and have never had a bruise show up.

On the subject of playing well one day and not the next, truthfully, I obviously am not the one to answer this because I could not even keep it together for one round not to mention two days.:rolleyes: But it is tempo, tempo, tempo. I do not spend much time on the range. If I hit 7 balls before the round that is a lot. Typically, I hit three or four balls with a 7 iron to engrain the tempo, and then go putt. If my tempo is good with those balls I try to hit with the same tempo every shot. However, when I start to press (trying to birdie every hole) my tempo gets a little quicker, and I try to hit the ball a little harder, and this does not work out very well in the end. I wish there was someone to thump me in the forehead during the round when things start to go bad. I am thinking of writing it down on a card and putting it in an envelope in my bag that says "In case of double bogey open this." And inside it say Tempo, Tempo, Tempo.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Man if I had the answer to that question JMiller I'd be rich.

For those of us who work day jobs I think that stress of life plays a huge factor in how we play. Are we able to forget about what happened at work or is it sitting there just beneath the surface? If you do anyting physcial (obviously my job isn't physical but for me it could be lifting my daughter wrong) sometimes that tweak is just enough to through the tempo/timing of the swing off.

The bigger thing though seems to be putting - when that's on the score comes regardless of how well I hit the ball - at least at the level I'm at - I don't hit it far enough to get into that much trouble there. Honestly my entire game is designed to allow my putting to shine - so long as it does or at least semi-does - I'm fine - when it goes south and sometimes it does and who knows why - well then it's all over.

I think dru_ suggested drinking to take the edge off, I don't drink on the course and really don't drink that much in life in general mostly for personal reasons that I don't feel like sharing with the world. I don't see the use of alcohol a good way to relax your emotions and mind, it can turn into a need to drink to be able to function over the long haul.

Well, I work on Friday's and don't work on Saturday's I shot the better score after work and not on the weekend, I felt like Tiger Woods on the weekend on a major, I'm good to go on Thursday and Friday but can't seem to go low on Saturday and Sunday :lol:

Well starting with putting, I actually made a few really great putts to save par and even make one birdie on the front 9 to break 40. If anything was actually working well that day it was my putter which is a good sign as I have been working a lot with it and wanting to putt better it is finally coming around and the confidence is their when the greens are not punched and bumpy.

Looking at my chip / pitch game it actually bailed me out a few different times in really hard situations making pars that really had no business getting that score. I think I saved 4/4 from the grass to get up and down. My Bunker game was HORRID, wet compact sand that played more like a powder, I couldn't seem to get out of a bunker and save a par to save my life that day, It cost me two of my double bogeys on the day and a bogey.

Anything longer then a 1/4 swing was just flat off, 1/2 swings, 3/4 swings, full swings I couldn't make that great of contact and when I did make great contact it seemed that I didn't have much control on the shots. I hit a lot of fairways with what I would call "great misses" meaning that I completely miss hit the shot but it ended up in the fairway.

I ended up not being able to play golf on Sunday or Yesterday (Monday) because my right elbow was sore as heck. I think that gave me the key to what went wrong in the swing on Saturday if i came away from the round with an injury. I feel that my right elbow broke down and folded more then 90* and started getting pitchers elbow or tennis elbow type symptoms after the round. This could also explain the bad tempo and timing, when my right arm folds to much the swing gets longer then what IO was using on Friday to shoot the great score and my timing / tempo ended up being off going into impact, a lot of late release leaks and big cuts.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I think dru_ suggested drinking to take the edge off, I don't drink on the course and really don't drink that much in life in general mostly for personal reasons that I don't feel like sharing with the world. I don't see the use of alcohol a good way to relax your emotions and mind, it can turn into a need to drink to be able to function over the long haul.

Well, I work on Friday's and don't work on Saturday's I shot the better score after work and not on the weekend, I felt like Tiger Woods on the weekend on a major, I'm good to go on Thursday and Friday but can't seem to go low on Saturday and Sunday :lol:

Well starting with putting, I actually made a few really great putts to save par and even make one birdie on the front 9 to break 40. If anything was actually working well that day it was my putter which is a good sign as I have been working a lot with it and wanting to putt better it is finally coming around and the confidence is their when the greens are not punched and bumpy.

Looking at my chip / pitch game it actually bailed me out a few different times in really hard situations making pars that really had no business getting that score. I think I saved 4/4 from the grass to get up and down. My Bunker game was HORRID, wet compact sand that played more like a powder, I couldn't seem to get out of a bunker and save a par to save my life that day, It cost me two of my double bogeys on the day and a bogey.

Anything longer then a 1/4 swing was just flat off, 1/2 swings, 3/4 swings, full swings I couldn't make that great of contact and when I did make great contact it seemed that I didn't have much control on the shots. I hit a lot of fairways with what I would call "great misses" meaning that I completely miss hit the shot but it ended up in the fairway.

I ended up not being able to play golf on Sunday or Yesterday (Monday) because my right elbow was sore as heck. I think that gave me the key to what went wrong in the swing on Saturday if i came away from the round with an injury. I feel that my right elbow broke down and folded more then 90* and started getting pitchers elbow or tennis elbow type symptoms after the round. This could also explain the bad tempo and timing, when my right arm folds to much the swing gets longer then what IO was using on Friday to shoot the great score and my timing / tempo ended up being off going into impact, a lot of late release leaks and big cuts.

I am not advocating alcohol, only noting that there may well be some truth there. Like you, I choose not to drink much in life, and less on the course. I personally have other methods of shedding the 'cruft' ( I will explain in a minute, patience is a virtue ).

The thing is, there is alot that goes into a round of golf, mental, physical and external. If any one of them changes between two rounds, or even two holes, the result changes, often dramatically. Finding a way to remove mental roadblocks, particularly ones that contribute to physical roadblocks is a big key to consistency in any physical activity, not just golf. Alcohol happens to be one much loved by many casual players, it is not a solution favored by most serious amateurs though, for a number of reasons, but there are good arguments that the physical side effects are sufficient to prevent it's use as a tool.

Personally, I did two things that have helped me separate 'work' from 'life' a couple of years ago. Combined, these have allowed me to make very real changes to my lifestyle and health, both mental and physical. I've made no secret that I've lost a good bit of weight and gained a good bit of fitness. I haven't really come right out and said it though.

I am a small business owner, and have been for about 15 years. During the first 12 of those, I gained nearly 65 pounds, lost a lot of fitness and along the way I turned into and ogre in my personal life. My blood pressure was high, my cholesterol was high, my temper was short, and well generally, I sucked to be around. I actually went back to playing golf as a way to get some time each week away from work and even the house where I was so at odds with my children over inane stuff that I wanted to be away to prevent saying the things that went through my head. Golf at that point, was really just another exercise in frustration. I was playing to a 30 handicap on a regular basis, losing balls and letting the temper get the better of me.

At this point, I had already found one thing that was effective at seperating me from work, and that was riding a motorcycle or scooter to and from work when the weather was nice, but I sill had a car and used it entirely too often.

Somewhere along the way though, a friend convinced me to hit a yoga class to improve my flexibility. So I did. Now, this is not one of the spirituality style yoga classes, this is about learning your body, breathing, stretching, balance and control. Who knew 60 minutes of sitting, standing and stretching could leave you hurting more than a 60 minute P90X routine! Doing that helped.

Then about 18 months ago, I bit the bullet, and got serious about fixing ME. The first step was giving my car to my daughter. I now ride one of my bikes (pedal or motorized) everywhere, every day ( yes, even hauling my golf clubs to the various courses I play, everything goes on the bikes ). The commute which was once a time to stew and be frustrated became a time to decompress, breathe the fresh air. The second was getting fit through a mixture of running, riding, swimming and yoga.

The last bit was learning to breathe. Seriously.

We all breathe all the time, what we don't realize is how our breathing impacts our bodies. It is balance, control, focus, and other tidbits. Learning to breathe has such a huge impact on our physical and mental states. When our breathing is slow and measured, our bodies relax, our minds can focus and we can let go quite a bit easier.

Think about the times you are out playing. You hit that tee shot, and it's up a good hill. You grab a couple of clubs, and go mountain climbing. You get to the ball, huffing and puffing, line it up, practice swing, set it up and shank it. Why is that? Your physical and mental state isn't there yet, you are still recovering from irregularities of the elevated heart rate, elevated respiratory rate. If you control your breathing both during the climb and as part of your swing prep, your body relaxes and you can perform in a more 'normal' pattern.

In my own experience, I am NOT a runner. I have terrible knees, and I will never be a fast runner. That's fine, I do it because I want to do it with my brother, who is a runner and is a fast runner. I can perform like a runner if when I discipline my breathing. If I let my body slip into the panting that is so natural when the heartrate comes up, then my performance suffers, badly. ( I can sustain and 8:15 mile for 13 miles if I control my breathing, if I don't, that number goes to 11:30).

So, while yes alcohol is a commonly used method to relax your body, I personally advocate a bit of breathing. When you hit that first tee box and everyone is finishing up the pre-first-tee routine, stand up, close your eyes, focus on your breathing and heart rate, let go of everything else. Breathe deeply through your nose. Bring your heart rate and reap rate down. Do this for a count of 30 or 60. Open your eyes, and continue your routine.

For me, I find this far more effective than anything else. I find that I use the same technique during a round (or even during a stressful day) to shed the cruft we build up, both good and bad. How many times have you had a string of good holes going and then implode because you get too excited?

I don't know that it will work for everyone, but the one big take away from yoga for me was that everything starts with breathing. Control, balance, clarity.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

James,

Do you have any good swing path drills? I have been struggling with a swing path that is getting WAY inside and leading to one of three shots, a straight push, a giant hook, or a shank (with the wedges). I have been laying my alignment sticks on the ground to get started on the right path, but I was looking for something more. The other day, I jokingly said I was just going to start making a Furyk swing (or what I felt was a Furyk swing) and my cousin and instructor both said that it was a perfect path. Even with my alignment sticks on the ground on what I think is a good path, if feels way inside to the "Furyk" swing.

Thanks,

JBones

James,

Do you have any good swing path drills? I have been struggling with a swing path that is getting WAY inside and leading to one of three shots, a straight push, a giant hook, or a shank (with the wedges). I have been laying my alignment sticks on the ground to get started on the right path, but I was looking for something more. The other day, I jokingly said I was just going to start making a Furyk swing (or what I felt was a Furyk swing) and my cousin and instructor both said that it was a perfect path. Even with my alignment sticks on the ground on what I think is a good path, if feels way inside to the "Furyk" swing.

Thanks,

JBones

I have this problem myself. Especially when it get down to crunch time, 8th and 17th hole, perfect drive, in a postition to go for the flag, and get too aggressive and come inside too much, and pull the ball into jungle. I also tend to do this on all the par 3's. Lately I have been focusing on keeping the head outside the hands on the way back and then swing through. This is a mini Jim Furyk but it makes so much difference.

I liked to know if there is a fix for getting stuck inside as well - I think that's the better players error - generally when I have that problem, I have that problem, it doesn't pop up suddenly out of no where.

Back to Dru's post - mental state is a huge deal for golf - there are lots of factors that can and do impact how we play. Sounds like you've found some good coping skills.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have this problem myself. Especially when it get down to crunch time, 8th and 17th hole, perfect drive, in a postition to go for the flag, and get too aggressive and come inside too much, and pull the ball into jungle. I also tend to do this on all the par 3's. Lately I have been focusing on keeping the head outside the hands on the way back and then swing through. This is a mini Jim Furyk but it makes so much difference.

I said lately I have been focusing on keeping the head outside the hands. While that though has occured to me, and I have thought about it in the PRESHOT routine, I have not been focusing on it. Yesterday, I focused on it a couple of times and hit horrible shots. My best results I focused on the target, and gave a passing thought to keeping the head outside my hands. There is a huge difference in the two.

I fell into the swing thought trap yesterday while playing. The freaking goal is to get the ball in the hole, not keep your elbow tucked, or your wrist cocked or your sunglasses on. I was playing with a high school golf coach and after about 4 holes I started thinking about my swing and jumped on the bogey train. I ended up with a great round because it was just a few holes where I could not hit the ball and figured it out real quick. I was hitting the ball great before so stop thinking about it and hit the freaking ball in the hole.

I used to struggle with getting too inside but don't much anymore since I changed some things. For me this all starts from the takeaway. I tended to cock my wrists too early and get the clubface too open which means I have to race to get back to square on the way down. This started with some crappy instruction having me "pre-set" the wrists then swing. I'm sure it was a drill to fix some other problem but it became a critical flaw of its own somehow.

To fix it I try to have the clubface "look at the ball" back to parallel (9:00). This keeps the clubface in a comparatively closed position and doesn't allow the wrists to break until late in the backswing (instead of the toe of the club being at 12:00 straight up at parallel, I have the toe at about 11:00 looking back at it). This feels more like a "Furyk" swing but on video it isn't. It all feels more upright and straight up, but that is only in comparison to the flawed laid off and open. It really helps me keep the club on a very consistent plane and helps me use my core and big muscles instead of the forearms/wrists/hands that the too inside swing requires.

The other drill I do is to swing the club slowly kind of like a baseball swing. Starting with the club extending straight from your navel parallel to the ground. as you go back the proper alignment of your arms/wrists/hands is very clear, if you are cocking your wrists at all you'll see it. Coming though that swing you also readily see how the wrists/hands roll to impact. Do that a couple times then address the ball and you will see how that motion transitions right into the golf swing as you take your stance and bring the club back.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Hey guys!

Swing path huh? Here's my suggestions, although I do think that swing path is over-taught and ultimately a bi-product of higher level movement patterns.

1. Get Your Swing On Video ASAP (at 300 frames per second or higher if possible). It's always amazing to me how much feel can differ from reality, and you can identify the real cause of your problems rapidly.

2. Understand Ball Flight Laws. Turns out that ball flight can (and often does) lie. There is more than one way to hit a push, cut, fade, hook, pull, draw, or straight shot. Contrary to years of incorrect teaching, it's now been scientifically proven that face angle actually plays the major role in determining the direction that the ball takes off in, while swing path in relation to face angle is what determines the spin direction. It's the opposite of everything that's been taught for decades.

3. Research Early Extension. I've seen a lot of students who think they are coming too far inside and getting "trapped" are actually victims of this little known swing fault. Here's some more info.

Cheers!

James

Golf Circuit

James, Golf Circuit Resident PGA Pro

MGS_logo_default.jpg

3. Research Early Extension. I've seen a lot of students who think they are coming too far inside and getting "trapped" are actually victims of this little known swing fault. Here's some more info.

Wouldn't this be one cause of a shank? Assuming of course the hands get pushed in towards the ball more along with the hips. I would have to think even 1" to 2" would cause a inside miss to shank on a shot from this issue.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Thanks for the video, James. I will view this indepth tomorrow.

Since writing the post above I have figured out that my biggest problem is that I take to too strong of a grip. By keeping the club head outside of the hands I was quieting the hands which was treating the symptoms rather than the problem. By taking a more neutral grip, I have actually addressed the problems. The club does not feel right when I do this, but I have to tell myself, it feels correct, which is not the same thing as right.

I enjoyed the video and understood what they were saying eventhough it was some what comical. While the hips are an elipse, the the reason that you see the hips going back behind the line is that the pivot piont is not in the center it is along the base of the spine. Either a circle or an elipse will move back behind the line because the pivot point is in the center. But that makes no difference other than them being wrong about that was distracting.

My question for James is that in this video, they talk about pelvis rotation and do not address any hip slide to the left (RH Golfer). They actually say that there sliding hips to the right or during the backswing is bad but never say anything about forward slide.

Once I get to the top of the backswing, and I do not believe it makes any differernce how you get into the proper position at the top. You can do it like a MLB batter, dig your feet in, make two knee high practice swings, spit, scratch you nuts, and set up in the proper at the top position and wait for the pitch and as long as it is the proper at the top, on plane the you are good to go.

Once I am in that position, I start my swing with a little hip slide to the left, to start the pelvis rotation and drop the right elbow down in contact with my right side where it stays until well after contact.

They did not mention it but do you advocate no hip slide or yes hip slide?

RR I know you asked James but, I just wanted to toss something out for talk and discussion.

Ben Hogan (One-plane), Tiger Woods (Hybrid-plane 2000), Jack Nicklaus (Two-Plane), I would have to say that all of these players were extremely successful in their careers but had drastically different top positions. There really isn't a single "proper top position" the golf swing is very dynamic and fluid.

The amount of pelvis rotation and slide combination is determinate on the top position in which the golfer finds them self in which is proper position for them. A one-plane swing needs mostly all hip rotation and no lateral slide towards the target. Two-plane needs mostly all lateral slide towards the target with little hip rotation. Hybrid is some combination of the two depending on the person.

As my signature says from a comment I made on MGS before --> Golf is not one fit all. You have to know your swing sequence to match it with advice. The number one thing that hurts a lot of golfers is that they don't know what advice to take and what advice to leave on the table based on their swing.

I have to say I really appreciate the bottom part of JMiller's signature - you have to know whether or not you are a one planer or a two planer or you are going to screw yourself up big time.

In my opinion this filters right down to the short game - chipping at least - I can't speak for putting but most certainly there is a way in which one planers chip that is different from two planers - I'm a reformed two planer - when I was young I had a two plane swing - I transitioned when I was in my 30's and went to Jimmy Ballard's school - changed the way I approached the game and I think has allowed me to play good golf as I've gotten older. I certainly lost some distance though.

Aside from swing advice I have to be incredibily careful what I read about playing shots from the sand - two planers are much better out of the sand than one planers in my opinion. I have to work hard to stay reasonable out of the sand and I have to keep my method very, very simple.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey james....I wonder if you could look at this video and give me your thoughts too.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/6713-shots-going-left/

Thanks,

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• 3 weeks later...

By way of the "Member Introduction" thread and the "Hello from Stansfield Golf" post the following was suggested by @R.P. Jacobs II: "Matt, to let the guys/girls know that you're open to questions/discussions, why don't ya go to the "Ask The Pro" thread  introduce yourself & throw you name out there..I'm sure James would appreciate some help in fielding some of the questions..MGS started the thread to sorta bring everyone to one area for instructional discussions.. Thanx a lot for donating your time..That's Big..Real Big.."

In following through with his suggestion I wanted to again introduce myself to the MSG community. I am a PGA of Canada Professional who's recently launched Stansfield Golf and StansfieldGolf.com with the mission to provide an all access pass to all things golf; making myself accessible being one of the key focuses within the Stansfield Golf mission. After reading through the thread here, James has been a very valuable source of information to the MSG community and I'm happy to also make myself available to the guys/girls of MSG.

I'll continue to check the form but invite you to contact me directly as well via email at mstansfield@stansfieldgolf.com, follow me on twitter @stansfieldgolf or get in touch me with on my website www.stansfieldgolf.com and I'll answer your question here at MSG.

Thanks for swinging by,

Matt

Matt Stansfield, Stansfield Golf

PGA of Canada Professional

E. mstansfield@stansfieldgolf.com

T. twitter.com/stansfieldgolf

W. www.stansfieldgolf.com

Welcome aboard Matt - we are very fortunate to have resident pros such as yourself and James! Sorry I missed you over on the intro page - I really got caught up in the contest as last week went on. Everything in my life went sideways and now it's happened in my professional life as I catch up.

Looking forward to reading your answers.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@revkey no apologies necessary as the contests here at MGS stand above and beyond anything I've ever seen. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enter the Bobby Grace and the Tour staff contest being without a feature sponsor heading into the 2013 season.

As I said earlier, James has been a valuable asset to the MGS community and I'm happy to help ease his workload as the second resident pro.

Matt

Matt Stansfield, Stansfield Golf

PGA of Canada Professional

E. mstansfield@stansfieldgolf.com

T. twitter.com/stansfieldgolf

W. www.stansfieldgolf.com

Happy to have more qualified opinions, I'm pretty eager to see what the plan is with the new MyGolfSwing section!

Welcome Matt!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 4 months later...

I have what may be a simple question but amongst my fellow hackers I get varied answers:

Should a golfers Driver / Woods swing be the same as the irons swing??

Some guys tell me the swing should be the same, other tell me the swing with the driver or woods should be more of a flat sweeping swing than the irons.

I admit that I haven't asked this of a Pro just fellow hackers so that should qualify the information I have so far.

Anxious to see what you have to say....Thanks!

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

I have what may be a simple question but amongst my fellow hackers I get varied answers:

Should a golfers Driver / Woods swing be the same as the irons swing??

Some guys tell me the swing should be the same, other tell me the swing with the driver or woods should be more of a flat sweeping swing than the irons.

I admit that I haven't asked this of a Pro just fellow hackers so that should qualify the information I have so far.

I'm only speaking of my own swing, but I think it should hold true.

The sequencing is the same for all full swings, but ball position, tee height, feet alignment can change.

For example my full swing wedge versus driver:

Same sequence. Address>left arm crosses chest>shoulders finish the backswing by bringing club to the top>knees/core turn left (no forced hip bump)>Arms drop into impact.

With driver I feel like I release hard and quickly (low loft driver, high teed ball, with an uppercut ascending strike). With shorter irons I don't feel a release at all (9-3 type drill feeling), but the sequencing feels the same.

I spy with my little eye something...

I'm only speaking of my own swing, but I think it should hold true.

The sequencing is the same for all full swings, but ball position, tee height, feet alignment can change.

For example my full swing wedge versus driver:

Same sequence. Address>left arm crosses chest>shoulders finish the backswing by bringing club to the top>knees/core turn left (no forced hip bump)>Arms drop into impact.

With driver I feel like I release hard and quickly (low loft driver, high teed ball, with an uppercut ascending strike). With shorter irons I don't feel a release at all (9-3 type drill feeling), but the sequencing feels the same.

Finalist, thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Should a golfers Driver / Woods swing be the same as the irons swing?

I know this is a really late response but... I'm not a "pro" but I have a little insight into this...

Assumption that you have to proper lie angles and shaft lengths in every club then the following would stay the same

~ Posture (I don't see many really good golfers set up with more hip bend in wedges then they would on a Driver, it's the same)

~ Source of motion (I don't see tour players change their one-plane swing on a driver to a two-plane swing on a wedge it's consistent)

~ Tempo (I'm a 21:7 roughly now that I change my swing I was a 24:8 when over-swinging. Tour players tempo come out ot be about 3:1 ratios there have been a couple at 2.5:! or 2.75:1 but it's repeatable)

~ Grip position (Majority of people find it easier to keep the same grip and twist the club face open or closed before gripping it for specialty shots, sort of like a bunker shot twist face open THEN grip the club naturally)

Some things that change slightly:

~ Stance width (stock is 2" outside the hip sockets, some might stand a touch wider but not by a lot for longer clubs, or shorter irons a little closer)

~ Ball position (Assuming stock is the LEAD EYE or LEAD CHEST PEAK, you might move the ball one ball length forward or one ball length backwards depending on the shot, anything further forward then one ball you probably need a tee and that's where tee height comes into play.)

Something that does change:

~ the distance you stand away from the ball based on the shaft length.

~ where the club makes contact with the ball in the swing arc (angle of attack)

~ A lot of tour players extend the arms out more on the driver then they do their irons

>> If you look at address, hip bend, knee flex is the same but from the shoulders to the handle the irons are straight down on the "Y-Axis" or close to it, on the Driver you get a little angle / extension about 2 to 4" roughly.

I'll use two videos of Mr. Woods as examples you could probably do this with any good player:

Tiger Woods Driver >> youtube.com/watch?v=GyRPcn0E-bc

Tiger Woods Iron >> youtube.com/watch?v=Gfkqwy6oi9s

~ Different at address by arm extension only on the Driver.

~ Different at 1/2 way because iron has more wrist cock already. Body is in same positions practically.

~ Different at the top because iron is not at the length of arm swing at the top but body positions are almost identical.

~ Impact positions are slightly different from ball position and angle of attack but hips and shoulders are rotated almost identically.

In short you don't need two different swings for different clubs, so the plane explanation is really wrong all the way around that the plane on a wedge is more upright then a driver.

jmiller065,

Thank you for the response, any and all information is appreciated.

Through the end of last summer I was hitting my driver as well as I ever have and what seems like just all of a sudden I have completely lost it. I have spent the last month or so trying all sorts of tweaks to my swing to see if I can find it again with little to no success so I am desperately looking for help anywhere I can get it!

jmiller065,

Thank you for the response, any and all information is appreciated.

Through the end of last summer I was hitting my driver as well as I ever have and what seems like just all of a sudden I have completely lost it. I have spent the last month or so trying all sorts of tweaks to my swing to see if I can find it again with little to no success so I am desperately looking for help anywhere I can get it!

I think what hurts majority of mid to high handicaps is two main things

1) They have not a clue what swing style they are naturally

2) They take every bit of advice they can get and it almost always makes them worse.

Here is something to read understand and then figure out what swing style you are and only take the advice that fits that style:

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/guide-to-understanding-your-golf-swing.html

Are you a one-plane, Hybrid, Two-plane type of swinger? All three have drastically different down swing sequences that need performed properly to hit the ball consistently.

• 2 months later...

Having had very little success at shaping a shot, I'm just gonna go ahead and ask............. how do you hit a fade and a draw........... on purpose?

I can hit a draw much easier than a fade because it seems to be natural for me. There are numerous occasions where I would love to fade the ball, but I just can't figure out how to do it. The same goes for a draw even though I have a bit more success with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Having had very little success at shaping a shot, I'm just gonna go ahead and ask............. how do you hit a fade and a draw........... on purpose?

I can hit a draw much easier than a fade because it seems to be natural for me. There are numerous occasions where I would love to fade the ball, but I just can't figure out how to do it. The same goes for a draw even though I have a bit more success with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

You are likely to get a lot of different answers here for everyone that might respond. Everyone seems to have a different FEEL on how to shape shots. I can offer only what I have experienced in the one-plane swing and Hybrid plane swing now to shape shots and what I know / feel about my swing.

Draw

Swing more with the arms then the body. The arms have to lead into impact to get inside to DTL or inside to outside.

Hybrid-plane >> My weight sift stays back a split second longer the hip rotation feels very passive, the arms swing freally in front of the body.

One-plane ~ rotational hips are still there but my arms felt like they did more work them my body.

Fade

Swing more with the hips / upper body, less with the arms. The hips / shoulders lead into impact with the arms passive.

Hybrid-plane >> My weight shifts forward a little sooner, my hips rotate a little sooner pulling my shoulders open and outside to inside, I hold off the release of the head a little as well.

One-plane >> I just ripped as hard as I could with my hips and upper body holding off the release a little.

So really for me in two different models "arms lead into impact in a draw, hips / body lead into impact in a fade".