Thanks for the video, James. I will view this indepth tomorrow.

Since writing the post above I have figured out that my biggest problem is that I take to too strong of a grip. By keeping the club head outside of the hands I was quieting the hands which was treating the symptoms rather than the problem. By taking a more neutral grip, I have actually addressed the problems. The club does not feel right when I do this, but I have to tell myself, it feels correct, which is not the same thing as right.

I enjoyed the video and understood what they were saying eventhough it was some what comical. While the hips are an elipse, the the reason that you see the hips going back behind the line is that the pivot piont is not in the center it is along the base of the spine. Either a circle or an elipse will move back behind the line because the pivot point is in the center. But that makes no difference other than them being wrong about that was distracting.

My question for James is that in this video, they talk about pelvis rotation and do not address any hip slide to the left (RH Golfer). They actually say that there sliding hips to the right or during the backswing is bad but never say anything about forward slide.

Once I get to the top of the backswing, and I do not believe it makes any differernce how you get into the proper position at the top. You can do it like a MLB batter, dig your feet in, make two knee high practice swings, spit, scratch you nuts, and set up in the proper at the top position and wait for the pitch and as long as it is the proper at the top, on plane the you are good to go.

Once I am in that position, I start my swing with a little hip slide to the left, to start the pelvis rotation and drop the right elbow down in contact with my right side where it stays until well after contact.

They did not mention it but do you advocate no hip slide or yes hip slide?

RR I know you asked James but, I just wanted to toss something out for talk and discussion.

Ben Hogan (One-plane), Tiger Woods (Hybrid-plane 2000), Jack Nicklaus (Two-Plane), I would have to say that all of these players were extremely successful in their careers but had drastically different top positions. There really isn't a single "proper top position" the golf swing is very dynamic and fluid.

The amount of pelvis rotation and slide combination is determinate on the top position in which the golfer finds them self in which is proper position for them. A one-plane swing needs mostly all hip rotation and no lateral slide towards the target. Two-plane needs mostly all lateral slide towards the target with little hip rotation. Hybrid is some combination of the two depending on the person.

As my signature says from a comment I made on MGS before --> Golf is not one fit all. You have to know your swing sequence to match it with advice. The number one thing that hurts a lot of golfers is that they don't know what advice to take and what advice to leave on the table based on their swing.

I have to say I really appreciate the bottom part of JMiller's signature - you have to know whether or not you are a one planer or a two planer or you are going to screw yourself up big time.

In my opinion this filters right down to the short game - chipping at least - I can't speak for putting but most certainly there is a way in which one planers chip that is different from two planers - I'm a reformed two planer - when I was young I had a two plane swing - I transitioned when I was in my 30's and went to Jimmy Ballard's school - changed the way I approached the game and I think has allowed me to play good golf as I've gotten older. I certainly lost some distance though.

Aside from swing advice I have to be incredibily careful what I read about playing shots from the sand - two planers are much better out of the sand than one planers in my opinion. I have to work hard to stay reasonable out of the sand and I have to keep my method very, very simple.

By way of the "Member Introduction" thread and the "Hello from Stansfield Golf" post the following was suggested by @R.P. Jacobs II: "Matt, to let the guys/girls know that you're open to questions/discussions, why don't ya go to the "Ask The Pro" thread  introduce yourself & throw you name out there..I'm sure James would appreciate some help in fielding some of the questions..MGS started the thread to sorta bring everyone to one area for instructional discussions.. Thanx a lot for donating your time..That's Big..Real Big.."

In following through with his suggestion I wanted to again introduce myself to the MSG community. I am a PGA of Canada Professional who's recently launched Stansfield Golf and StansfieldGolf.com with the mission to provide an all access pass to all things golf; making myself accessible being one of the key focuses within the Stansfield Golf mission. After reading through the thread here, James has been a very valuable source of information to the MSG community and I'm happy to also make myself available to the guys/girls of MSG.

I'll continue to check the form but invite you to contact me directly as well via email at mstansfield@stansfieldgolf.com, follow me on twitter @stansfieldgolf or get in touch me with on my website www.stansfieldgolf.com and I'll answer your question here at MSG.

Thanks for swinging by,

Matt

Welcome aboard Matt - we are very fortunate to have resident pros such as yourself and James! Sorry I missed you over on the intro page - I really got caught up in the contest as last week went on. Everything in my life went sideways and now it's happened in my professional life as I catch up.

Looking forward to reading your answers.

@revkey no apologies necessary as the contests here at MGS stand above and beyond anything I've ever seen. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enter the Bobby Grace and the Tour staff contest being without a feature sponsor heading into the 2013 season.

As I said earlier, James has been a valuable asset to the MGS community and I'm happy to help ease his workload as the second resident pro.

Matt

Happy to have more qualified opinions, I'm pretty eager to see what the plan is with the new MyGolfSwing section!

Welcome Matt!

I have what may be a simple question but amongst my fellow hackers I get varied answers:

Should a golfers Driver / Woods swing be the same as the irons swing??

Some guys tell me the swing should be the same, other tell me the swing with the driver or woods should be more of a flat sweeping swing than the irons.

I admit that I haven't asked this of a Pro just fellow hackers so that should qualify the information I have so far.

Anxious to see what you have to say....Thanks!

I have what may be a simple question but amongst my fellow hackers I get varied answers:

Should a golfers Driver / Woods swing be the same as the irons swing??

Some guys tell me the swing should be the same, other tell me the swing with the driver or woods should be more of a flat sweeping swing than the irons.

I admit that I haven't asked this of a Pro just fellow hackers so that should qualify the information I have so far.

I'm only speaking of my own swing, but I think it should hold true.

The sequencing is the same for all full swings, but ball position, tee height, feet alignment can change.

For example my full swing wedge versus driver:

Same sequence. Address>left arm crosses chest>shoulders finish the backswing by bringing club to the top>knees/core turn left (no forced hip bump)>Arms drop into impact.

With driver I feel like I release hard and quickly (low loft driver, high teed ball, with an uppercut ascending strike). With shorter irons I don't feel a release at all (9-3 type drill feeling), but the sequencing feels the same.

I'm only speaking of my own swing, but I think it should hold true.

The sequencing is the same for all full swings, but ball position, tee height, feet alignment can change.

For example my full swing wedge versus driver:

Same sequence. Address>left arm crosses chest>shoulders finish the backswing by bringing club to the top>knees/core turn left (no forced hip bump)>Arms drop into impact.

With driver I feel like I release hard and quickly (low loft driver, high teed ball, with an uppercut ascending strike). With shorter irons I don't feel a release at all (9-3 type drill feeling), but the sequencing feels the same.

Finalist, thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Should a golfers Driver / Woods swing be the same as the irons swing?

I know this is a really late response but... I'm not a "pro" but I have a little insight into this...

Assumption that you have to proper lie angles and shaft lengths in every club then the following would stay the same

~ Posture (I don't see many really good golfers set up with more hip bend in wedges then they would on a Driver, it's the same)

~ Source of motion (I don't see tour players change their one-plane swing on a driver to a two-plane swing on a wedge it's consistent)

~ Tempo (I'm a 21:7 roughly now that I change my swing I was a 24:8 when over-swinging. Tour players tempo come out ot be about 3:1 ratios there have been a couple at 2.5:! or 2.75:1 but it's repeatable)

~ Grip position (Majority of people find it easier to keep the same grip and twist the club face open or closed before gripping it for specialty shots, sort of like a bunker shot twist face open THEN grip the club naturally)

Some things that change slightly:

~ Stance width (stock is 2" outside the hip sockets, some might stand a touch wider but not by a lot for longer clubs, or shorter irons a little closer)

~ Ball position (Assuming stock is the LEAD EYE or LEAD CHEST PEAK, you might move the ball one ball length forward or one ball length backwards depending on the shot, anything further forward then one ball you probably need a tee and that's where tee height comes into play.)

Something that does change:

~ the distance you stand away from the ball based on the shaft length.

~ where the club makes contact with the ball in the swing arc (angle of attack)

~ A lot of tour players extend the arms out more on the driver then they do their irons

>> If you look at address, hip bend, knee flex is the same but from the shoulders to the handle the irons are straight down on the "Y-Axis" or close to it, on the Driver you get a little angle / extension about 2 to 4" roughly.

I'll use two videos of Mr. Woods as examples you could probably do this with any good player:

Tiger Woods Driver >> youtube.com/watch?v=GyRPcn0E-bc

Tiger Woods Iron >> youtube.com/watch?v=Gfkqwy6oi9s

~ Different at address by arm extension only on the Driver.

~ Different at 1/2 way because iron has more wrist cock already. Body is in same positions practically.

~ Different at the top because iron is not at the length of arm swing at the top but body positions are almost identical.

~ Impact positions are slightly different from ball position and angle of attack but hips and shoulders are rotated almost identically.

In short you don't need two different swings for different clubs, so the plane explanation is really wrong all the way around that the plane on a wedge is more upright then a driver.

jmiller065,

Thank you for the response, any and all information is appreciated.

Through the end of last summer I was hitting my driver as well as I ever have and what seems like just all of a sudden I have completely lost it. I have spent the last month or so trying all sorts of tweaks to my swing to see if I can find it again with little to no success so I am desperately looking for help anywhere I can get it!

jmiller065,

Thank you for the response, any and all information is appreciated.

Through the end of last summer I was hitting my driver as well as I ever have and what seems like just all of a sudden I have completely lost it. I have spent the last month or so trying all sorts of tweaks to my swing to see if I can find it again with little to no success so I am desperately looking for help anywhere I can get it!

I think what hurts majority of mid to high handicaps is two main things

1) They have not a clue what swing style they are naturally

2) They take every bit of advice they can get and it almost always makes them worse.

Here is something to read understand and then figure out what swing style you are and only take the advice that fits that style:

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/guide-to-understanding-your-golf-swing.html

Are you a one-plane, Hybrid, Two-plane type of swinger? All three have drastically different down swing sequences that need performed properly to hit the ball consistently.

Having had very little success at shaping a shot, I'm just gonna go ahead and ask............. how do you hit a fade and a draw........... on purpose?

I can hit a draw much easier than a fade because it seems to be natural for me. There are numerous occasions where I would love to fade the ball, but I just can't figure out how to do it. The same goes for a draw even though I have a bit more success with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Having had very little success at shaping a shot, I'm just gonna go ahead and ask............. how do you hit a fade and a draw........... on purpose?

I can hit a draw much easier than a fade because it seems to be natural for me. There are numerous occasions where I would love to fade the ball, but I just can't figure out how to do it. The same goes for a draw even though I have a bit more success with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

You are likely to get a lot of different answers here for everyone that might respond. Everyone seems to have a different FEEL on how to shape shots. I can offer only what I have experienced in the one-plane swing and Hybrid plane swing now to shape shots and what I know / feel about my swing.

Draw

Swing more with the arms then the body. The arms have to lead into impact to get inside to DTL or inside to outside.

Hybrid-plane >> My weight sift stays back a split second longer the hip rotation feels very passive, the arms swing freally in front of the body.

One-plane ~ rotational hips are still there but my arms felt like they did more work them my body.

Fade

Swing more with the hips / upper body, less with the arms. The hips / shoulders lead into impact with the arms passive.

Hybrid-plane >> My weight shifts forward a little sooner, my hips rotate a little sooner pulling my shoulders open and outside to inside, I hold off the release of the head a little as well.

One-plane >> I just ripped as hard as I could with my hips and upper body holding off the release a little.

So really for me in two different models "arms lead into impact in a draw, hips / body lead into impact in a fade".

Thank you.

When I try to really rip a drive, I usually hook it. This would be because my arms are so far ahead of my body?