I didn't read through the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this was already touched.  Right now, I'm struggling with my chipping and the consistency that should be there.  I don't have a lot of confidence that I can get a put up and down with I miss the GIR.  I'm looking for some tips and drills that I could implement to practice a little bit more.  I've tried the forward press of the hands and closing the face down a little and chopping down on the ball.  I've also tried the little forward press with keeping the wrists out of the swing, but I seem to chunk a lot of these chips.  I used to fully use the 60 deg when chipping.  Now I'll use lower lofted clubs to get the ball on the ground quicker.  

Mainly, I feel like I have no touch right now with these shots and I'd really like to have that back.  

1 hour ago, Markelly82 said:

I didn't read through the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this was already touched.  Right now, I'm struggling with my chipping and the consistency that should be there.  I don't have a lot of confidence that I can get a put up and down with I miss the GIR.  I'm looking for some tips and drills that I could implement to practice a little bit more.  I've tried the forward press of the hands and closing the face down a little and chopping down on the ball.  I've also tried the little forward press with keeping the wrists out of the swing, but I seem to chunk a lot of these chips.  I used to fully use the 60 deg when chipping.  Now I'll use lower lofted clubs to get the ball on the ground quicker.  

Mainly, I feel like I have no touch right now with these shots and I'd really like to have that back.  

The forward press is your issue. This is going to cause the leading edge to dig in. The old school mentality of ball back, shaft lean hit the ball first leaves very little room for error.

also look at andrew rice who has done several videos on chips and pitches 

• Like 3

^^^  Agreed.  A more upright club exposes the bounce and bounce is your friend.  Need a little more weight on forward foot.

The only time I use forward shaft lean on a chip is when I am very close to the green and stroke it like a putt to get the ball on the green quickly and roll.

• Like 2

Thank you for the information.  I tried youtubing chips and got way to many results.  Sometimes it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Markelly82 said:

Thank you for the information.  I tried youtubing chips and got way to many results.  Sometimes it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.  

The key thing imo if going the YouTube pro and self taught is find a channel that the teaching/explanation makes sense to you and stick primarily with that one.  Lots of good channels out there.  My preferences in no order are: meandmygolf, Danny Maude, Chris Ryan, Andrew Rice.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

stroke it like a putt to get the ball on the green

^^ THIS ^^

..is the best chipping advice!

Use a simple straight back / straight through putting stroke with no body movement. Call it a putt-chip, or a chip-putt. Then just vary the club used based on carry vs roll.

It works!

• Like 1

Golf.com has a post of a video with Phil showing a chipping technique. It’s very similar to what Butch Harmon teaches. Note the forward press.

IMG_9322.thumb.jpg.ab6e66c5552a21d0e0180f42421c59b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wedge motions are just that motions.  Nothing locked down:  bad plan to 'leave the wrists' or any other part of your body out of it!  I usually find that my students begin to regain control of the their wedge shots when they improve how to interact with the ground.  First, don't get the leading edge stuck by having the handle too far forward at impact.  You want to learn to release the sole/bounce of the club into the ground.  You want to hear a thud but never take a divot - at least not inside 30 yards.  Most data shows 3-8* of forward shaft lean.  That isn't very much lean.  Once you hit the ball solid without ground interruption you can then regain distance and trajectory control.  

How does one release the sole to the ground.  It can be done with the wrists, body or combination.  My preference is a combination. 

1. Learn to properly use the wrists. (technique)

2. Learn to use the body correctly. (technique)

3. Learn to blend the two to create a solid strike. (technique)

4. Learn to hit multiple trajectories & distances with a highly lofted wedge by moving the ball position and not changing the swing. (skill)

5. Learn to select the correct shot and club to provide the easiest solution to each situation.  (skill, Golf IQ, & decision making)

I'd highly suggest you rid yourself of the idea that the face should be pointing to the ground.  

Good luck!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

Wedge motions are just that motions.  Nothing locked down:  bad plan to 'leave the wrists' or any other part of your body out of it!  I usually find that my students begin to regain control of the their wedge shots when they improve how to interact with the ground.  First, don't get the leading edge stuck by having the handle too far forward at impact.  You want to learn to release the sole/bounce of the club into the ground.  You want to hear a thud but never take a divot - at least not inside 30 yards.  Most data shows 3-8* of forward shaft lean.  That isn't very much lean.  Once you hit the ball solid without ground interruption you can then regain distance and trajectory control.  

How does one release the sole to the ground.  It can be done with the wrists, body or combination.  My preference is a combination. 

1. Learn to properly use the wrists. (technique)

2. Learn to use the body correctly. (technique)

3. Learn to blend the two to create a solid strike. (technique)

4. Learn to hit multiple trajectories & distances with a highly lofted wedge by moving the ball position and not changing the swing. (skill)

5. Learn to select the correct shot and club to provide the easiest solution to each situation.  (skill, Golf IQ, & decision making)

I'd highly suggest you rid yourself of the idea that the face should be pointing to the ground.  

Good luck!

It does take practice... continuous practice!  Practice with correct technique to develop the skill, then continuous practice to develop and maintain feel for each type of shot.  It's amazing how quickly feel is lost when you aren't practicing.

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

It does take practice... continuous practice!  Practice with correct technique to develop the skill, then continuous practice to develop and maintain feel for each type of shot.  It's amazing how quickly feel is lost when you aren't practicing.

Great technique takes less time to get the feel back than bad technique.  Life is easier with function technique unless you have tons of time to practice.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

Great technique takes less time to get the feel back than bad technique.  Life is easier with function technique unless you have tons of time to practice.  

Most of us don't have great technique, I would venture to say.  Particularly those of us that started playing golf late in life.  Now that I'm retired, I have more time to practice both technique and feel, but you are right... it's hard to get a feel for short game shots with poor, inconsistent technique.

• Like 1