Surprised by Iron Fitting

JOHA002

Finally broke down and got fitted for my first set of custom irons. Picked up golf with the masses in 2020 and purchased some big berthas with zero research…shame on me. It’s been an interesting ride to say the least. Highs and lows which I’m sure everyone on this forum can attest to. Goal to break into single digits this year. Okay that’s enough small talk lol.

Surprisingly my club  fitted me for the Titelist T series. These were not even on my radar. The taylormade marketing had me interested in the P-790s and i also liked the look of PINGS.

They fitter me for T-150 for 7-Wedges and T-200 for 5-6 (more forgiveness)

Question for the forum. Do you see mid handicappers use the t-150s? I assumed they were for higher caliber players than me (I’m a ten handicap). I’m a decent ball striker, but it’s not like I try to work the ball. Goal is to just keep it straight

Thanks for the insight!

Jordan  

Jordan

My bag

2019 Big Bertha Irons off the rack...Zero Research. Hence why i'm here. 

Handicaps have very little to do with iron or any club selection. The swing and then the pairing of the head with the right shaft is what matters and that the club can be delivered as consistently as possible.

A 20 handicap that can’t hit irons or wedges but hits driver well will need something different than a 20 handicap who struggle off the tee but doesn’t have issues with irons. Same if they have different swing speeds.

when it comes to irons having a club that goes the same distance each time for the same contact is important.

A digger is going to need a different iron than a sweeper.

Thing like I’m a X handicap so I should be playing Y type of clubs or I have swing Of A so I should be in a B shaft are things that need to die a quick death. With all the information at one’s hands these days old school myths are just that

In all the Titleist fittings I’ve assisted the Titlesit fitter with I’ve seen several 10-12 handicaps fit into the T150/200 combos. 
If you have either enough speed or ste making solid comtact those clubs can be played by mid handicap 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Handicaps have very little to do with iron or any club selection. The swing and then the pairing of the head with the right shaft is what matters and that the club can be delivered as consistently as possible.

A 20 handicap that can’t hit irons or wedges but hits driver well will need something different than a 20 handicap who struggle off the tee but doesn’t have issues with irons. Same if they have different swing speeds.

when it comes to irons having a club that goes the same distance each time for the same contact is important.

A digger is going to need a different iron than a sweeper.

Thing like I’m a X handicap so I should be playing Y type of clubs or I have swing Of A so I should be in a B shaft are things that need to die a quick death. With all the information at one’s hands these days old school myths are just that

I 100% agree with your handicap statement.  The more I dig into the depths of what goes on behind the scenes, The more I realize that it's just a number to guide you to get to a better swing, mechanics, contact, etc. As your swing develops and changes, so will the clubs that you use (possibly)

@JOHA002 I'm looking forward to your reviews and following your progress with the new clubs!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

So I can honestly say that my game improved when I moved from game improvement irons to players distance irons. Come to find out, the game improvement ones are actually holding me back from playing better... I account that to the thread being smaller so I had to concentrate on the contact more, leaving me with better control and consistency. Best move I've ever made to be honest. I've done it with the Triple diamond Callaway driver and fairway woods from standard Callaway driver and woods, and switched irons to the Mizuno 245 from Paradym X. So forgiving and don't listen to the hype about it needing to be better players! 

Hit 'em long!

Scott

2 hours ago, JOHA002 said:

Finally broke down and got fitted for my first set of custom irons. Picked up golf with the masses in 2020 and purchased some big berthas with zero research…shame on me. It’s been an interesting ride to say the least. Highs and lows which I’m sure everyone on this forum can attest to. Goal to break into single digits this year. Okay that’s enough small talk lol.

Surprisingly my club  fitted me for the Titelist T series. These were not even on my radar. The taylormade marketing had me interested in the P-790s and i also liked the look of PINGS.

Question for the forum. Do you see mid handicappers use the t-150s? I assumed they were for higher caliber players than me (I’m a ten handicap). I’m a decent ball striker, but it’s not like I try to work the ball. Goal is to just keep it straight

Thanks for the insight!

Jordan  

Pretty similar setup to me and the T150 are excellent. They provide good forgiveness and I would say you could definitely play them if you feel you are a decent ball striker!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, JOHA002 said:

Thanks for the insight!

Jordan  

Ultimately it doesn't matter where your handicap is, if you've been fitted and hit the clubs well, and they work for you then that's about all that matters. I'd done a fitting at the end of last year before ending up with a combo set of the Apex '24 irons, but I'd tried the Titleist T100's and 150's as part of that and couldn't hit them at all, and I'd count myself as a pretty good ball striker. Was averaging around 200-210 yards with the other 6 iron heads I'd tested, couldn't hit the Titleists passed 170 yards no matter what I did, they just did not work for me at all.  

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

If the clubs suit your eye and work for you, go with it!  There were lots of good reviews and feedback from the Titlesit iron test on the forum…enjoy the new sticks!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

22 minutes ago, Fongle said:

Ultimately it doesn't matter where your handicap is, if you've been fitted and hit the clubs well, and they work for you then that's about all that matters. I'd done a fitting at the end of last year before ending up with a combo set of the Apex '24 irons, but I'd tried the Titleist T100's and 150's as part of that and couldn't hit them at all, and I'd count myself as a pretty good ball striker. Was averaging around 200-210 yards with the other 6 iron heads I'd tested, couldn't hit the Titleists passed 170 yards no matter what I did, they just did not work for me at all.  

Literally this is me.  I couldn’t hit titles at all for whatever my swing was at the time when I got fitted.  7i was doing like 130yds they just didn’t vibe with me.

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

3 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I 100% agree with your handicap statement.  The more I dig into the depths of what goes on behind the scenes, The more I realize that it's just a number to guide you to get to a better swing, mechanics, contact, etc. As your swing develops and changes, so will the clubs that you use (possibly)

@JOHA002 I'm looking forward to your reviews and following your progress with the new clubs!

It’s just a number that we all get to differently. 

I have a friend that hovers between a scratch and 3 depending on the time of year. He plays t200, tsr2 driver and fairway. He has a driver swing speed of 115+ and hits a high ball.

Theres no need to change the type of club unless that club isn’t working for you out you just want a change.

knew another guy what stayed around a 3 hdcp and played Cleveland hibore irons. He was very content not changing them. He had decent swing speed.

Congrats on the new irons…if you’re looking to kill some time while they’re in production, click the link below this post to read about the T series testing we did last year.

You’ll see a very positive and validating thread from the T150 guys @GolfSpy_BEN and @GolfSpy_APH

@GregB135 Hit the T200’s well and well, @ole gray smoked his 350’s and provided some wonderful color to the story 🙂

These are a phenomenally well engineered lineup and all of us were overwhelmingly in favor of recommending them to a really wide spectrum of players.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Congrats on the new irons…if you’re looking to kill some time while they’re in production, click the link below this post to read about the T series testing we did last year.
You’ll see a very positive and validating thread from the T150 guys [mention=120778]GolfSpy_BEN[/mention] and [mention=61361]GolfSpy_APH[/mention]
[mention=78320]GregB135[/mention] Hit the T200’s well and well, [mention=67397]ole gray[/mention] smoked his 350’s and provided some wonderful color to the story
These are a phenomenally well engineered lineup and all of us were overwhelmingly in favor of recommending them to a really wide spectrum of players.

I concur 100% !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

6 hours ago, JOHA002 said:

Thanks for the insight!

Jordan  

I tested the T series irons for the forum last fall. I was fit into the T150 8-pw, T200 5-7 and a T200 4 utility build. For reference, I was around a 5 when testing started and finished the season as a 1.4 and the Titleist irons played a large part in getting me there. The 150’s are among the best feeling irons I’ve played and the 200’s are so easy to hit and forgiving, they are akin to a cheat code. I think you’ll really like them, so be sure to keep us updated as you play them. 

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15 Tensei Black 75 X

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

6i-PW:  :mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Recoil 110 f4

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

I tested the T series irons for the forum last fall. I was fit into the T150 8-pw, T200 5-7 and a T200 4 utility build. For reference, I was around a 5 when testing started and finished the season as a 1.4 and the Titleist irons played a large part in getting me there. The 150’s are among the best feeling irons I’ve played and the 200’s are so easy to hit and forgiving, they are akin to a cheat code. I think you’ll really like them, so be sure to keep us updated as you play them. 

Wow that’s a huge jump! From 5 to 1! Now I’m reallly excited!

Jordan

My bag

2019 Big Bertha Irons off the rack...Zero Research. Hence why i'm here.