Star Grips - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@BreakfastBall15 -Main Post

@LeakyValve - Main Post

@Alf. S - Main Post

@EugeGallMain Post

2 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

Really glad I watched the video and listened when he said “50 psi”. I think my compressor may have been a bit to high 

Whilst you don’t need a lot of air to blow grips on, too high a setting is only an issue if you grip too tight as the build up of air pressure inside the grip will be quick and you may get a bubble. Use enough so that you push from the butt end (gun end) and with your free hand just acting as a guide. 

Edited by EugeGall

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 3HL Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym Heavenwood Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 4H Project X Hzrdus Silver
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Using air and tape, are there any concerns with the grip twisting or shifting during use?

Using air and tape, are there any concerns with the grip twisting or shifting during use?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

been using air installed grips for years now (Pure first and now Star as of last year) and have never had an issue with slippage or twisting (i have actually blown a grip off and back on right before teeing off to show someone at my course how easy it is and no issues with slipping)…IMO Star grips are better in terms of durability, feel, ease of installing, & customer service is fantastic…cheers

Driver: Titleist TSR4 8*...Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60S

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2+ 12*...Fujikura Ventus TR Red 70S

7 Wood: Callaway Apex UW 21*...Fujikura Ventus TR Black 80S

Di: Ping iCrossover 2i/18*...Fujikura Axiom LP 105S

4H: Titleist TSR3 23*...Axiom LP 105S

5i-Pw: Edel SMS...Axiom MP & SP 105S 

50* wedge: Edel SMS D-grind...Axiom SP 125X 

55* wedge: Edel SMS D-grind...Axiom SP 125X 

Ptr: Scotty Cameron Special Select DelMar...BGT Tour Black

GB: Titleist ProV1 Left Dash

20 hours ago, EugeGall said:

Interesting comment on the softness between colours; I didn’t notice this on the green vs orange, but something to look for when I start really using them. The Tour Star are supposed to be softer and again I couldn’t feel it so that’s probably more on me, but time will tell. 

It's a feel thing between the red and white, but it's also the stiffness of the grips before installing them.  The red, when held horizontal from the butt end, sags more than the white.  The white grips are the heaviest of the colors, I weighed all of the white grips, I ordered 13 of them, and six of them were 1g heavier than the others.  Pretty consistent.

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Rob I installed mine initially using two layers of tape for the trail/right hand and the lead hand had bare shaft.  These were the Sidewinders.  There was no slippage.  The tape I used was sold by Star Grips and is not double sided tape.  My current set up is now with the Tour Wraps and no tape other than covering the butt end of the shaft.

6 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

INSTALL COMPLETE!!!  

Couple things of note for my install. Don’t know if anyone else who has done air install has noticed these things but if you have let me know!!

My process!

Started with the standard grip removal. Which took a lot longer than I thought it would. I did the dumb thing of using my thumb to try and peel all the old grip tape off. And now my thumb is numb. I found out after the fact that scraping a few full length strips off the tape, then using a heat gun to warm the adhesive a bit makes this process ALOT easier. Rip my thumb. After that used some “low odour” paint thinner to complete get rid of all the gunk. Followed by a quick soap and water rinse and a dry. 
IMG_0613.jpeg.ec352ab8f3fea27dd6a392847ba53ff3.jpeg
(Cleaned and ready to go)

I used 2 inch blue painters tape to build the shafts up a bit. For my woods I went with two 4 inch pieces on the bottom hand and one full length strip to cover it all up. For the irons and wedges I did two full length strips.  I like to line up the little rubber club holder with the grip. I’ll line the grip up next to the shaft then push the holder to the bottom of the grip. This lets me know how far down I need to tape. And how far down I have to push the grip on. I’ll admit there were a few that didn’t feel like the grip was all the way on. 

IMG_0616.jpeg.fa4f97edc9eb7d091f767e1c29e7030a.jpeg
(grip lined up next to the shaft with the rubber holder against the bottom of the grip)

After taping it was time to blow. Using the Star Grips air gun was great. I had 3 attachments to try out. The star grips gun. The pure grips green attachment. And a ball inflater attachment as well. 
IMG_0612.jpeg.ea13f41b2c4411c43f5e0647fbf38b04.jpeg

After trying them all the Star Grips Gun worked the best for me. And after some fidgeting and trial and error I got the grips on. Along with a few laughs from the funny noises the air and rubber makes. I found the air gun to be a bit weird at first as I couldn’t get the right angle. And I think I was gripping the grip too much as opposed to guiding it on. The pure grips attachment wasn’t the best. The little hole that goes into the end of the grip is very small. And the grip moves around a lot. As for the ball inflated, I found without something stopping the end from going deeper into the shaft, I would end up just blowing air down the shaft. 

For the install of the sidewinders I put them on as close as I could to “square”. They have a little notch at the top and bottom to square things up if needed. I wasn’t to picky about is as the grips are all symmetrical. For the Tour Stars I got picky. I found that lining the start of the wrap up with the top of the grip allowed my hands to sit in the same spot for each club once the grips were on. IMG_0614.jpeg.854ec2bdc4b2338669528fdaba9649e6.jpeg
(all the tour stars went on this way)

After install I checked how my hands felt at address and they all felt the same. I like having my thumb in a certain spot on the grip. I’m weird. I know. 
IMG_0615.jpeg.b66ac745b721c6cebc9a4bda8940acc0.jpeg

(the notch under my thumb is the same for all the tour stars)

And with that. The install was complete!!

IMG_0617.jpeg.863fd5f9372ce21ddf601f757ba3a652.jpeg

Now for my “what the heck”

I’m not sure if this is common but I found that I would almost get like a back pressure from the air just as the grip was almost on. I would have to pull the gun out and air would “hissss” out of the end of the club. Then I would put air back into it and the grip would go on the rest of the way.  This happened on around half the clubs. Not a major concern just freaked me out after I put on the 6 iron grip and it continued to hiss at me after it was on LOL. 

LASTLY! 

I’ve seen a few people concerned with using tape and having the grips twist after install.. Initial grip and twist testing has shown NO movement so far. Getting into a sim will be a better test. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait a few extra days as the stick go to get bent. Once they’re back it’s off to test. 

For those who wanted to see the whole process… Enjoy!!

Looks great! My air gun should be here Friday… which is also my daughter’s birthday so looking like a Saturday install. I also think I’ll take the lazy approach and just leave the existing tape on assuming it stays on when I take off the old ones. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

1 hour ago, Gunn404 said:

It's a feel thing between the red and white, but it's also the stiffness of the grips before installing them.  The red, when held horizontal from the butt end, sags more than the white.  The white grips are the heaviest of the colors, I weighed all of the white grips, I ordered 13 of them, and six of them were 1g heavier than the others.  Pretty consistent.

Same here with the weight consistency so big shout to Star Grips quality control. 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

8 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

INSTALL COMPLETE!!!  

In total including 2 crappy takes at a video it took me an hour to tape and install everything. Not including the 2 hours I took to tear off my old grips. 

My process!

Started with the standard grip removal. Which took a lot longer than I thought it would. I did the dumb thing of using my thumb to try and peel all the old grip tape off. And now my thumb is numb. I found out after the fact that scraping a few full length strips off the tape, then using a heat gun to warm the adhesive a bit makes this process ALOT easier. Rip my thumb. After that used some “low odour” paint thinner to complete get rid of all the gunk. Followed by a quick soap and water rinse and a dry. 

I used 2 inch blue painters tape to build the shafts up a bit. For my woods I went with two 4 inch pieces on the bottom hand and one full length strip to cover it all up. For the irons and wedges I did two full length strips.  I like to line up the little rubber club holder with the grip. I’ll line the grip up next to the shaft then push the holder to the bottom of the grip. This lets me know how far down I need to tape. And how far down I have to push the grip on. I’ll admit there were a few that didn’t feel like the grip was all the way on. 

(grip lined up next to the shaft with the rubber holder against the bottom of the grip)

Screenshot_20240320_211805_Gallery.jpg.5e4a6c30401f43de603cfc6cc671b79d.jpg

(Before)

20240320_184253.jpg.9303abba3c467c7e6c47e1486da78780.jpg

(And after taping. This was my driver. 2 pieces on the bottom. One to cover it all)

After taping it was time to blow. Using the Star Grips air gun was great. I had 3 attachments to try out. The star grips gun. The pure grips green attachment. And a ball inflater attachment as well. 

After trying them all the Star Grips Gun worked the best for me. And after some fidgeting and trial and error I got the grips on. Along with a few laughs from the funny noises the air and rubber makes. I found the air gun to be a bit weird at first as I couldn’t get the right angle. And I think I was gripping the grip too much as opposed to guiding it on. The pure grips attachment wasn’t the best. The little hole that goes into the end of the grip is very small. And the grip moves around a lot. As for the ball inflated, I found without something stopping the end from going deeper into the shaft, I would end up just blowing air down the shaft. 

For the install of the sidewinders I put them on as close as I could to “square”. They have a little notch at the top and bottom to square things up if needed. I wasn’t to picky about is as the grips are all symmetrical. For the Tour Stars I got picky. I found that lining the start of the wrap up with the top of the grip allowed my hands to sit in the same spot for each club once the grips were on. IMG_0614.jpeg.854ec2bdc4b2338669528fdaba9649e6.jpeg

After install I checked how my hands felt at address and they all felt the same. I like having my thumb in a certain spot on the grip. I’m weird. I know. 

I’m not sure if this is common but I found that I would almost get like a back pressure from the air just as the grip was almost on. I would have to pull the gun out and air would “hissss” out of the end of the club. Then I would put air back into it and the grip would go on the rest of the way.  This happened on around half the clubs. Not a major concern just freaked me out after I put on the 6 iron grip and it continued to hiss at me after it was on LOL. 

LASTLY! 

I’ve seen a few people concerned with using tape and having the grips twist after install.. Initial grip and twist testing has shown NO movement so far. Getting into a sim will be a better test. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait a few extra days as the stick go to get bent. Once they’re back it’s off to test. 

https://youtu.be/0s_ln-dD_Hg?si=0X-_aqjsoOqUHpI7

Cool video

9 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

INSTALL COMPLETE!!!  

In total including 2 crappy takes at a video it took me an hour to tape and install everything. Not including the 2 hours I took to tear off my old grips. 

My process!

(Before)

(And after taping. This was my driver. 2 pieces on the bottom. One to cover it all)

LASTLY! 

Nicely done! Great job on the video. Looks so easy.
Seems like once you switch to air you never go back to double stick tape and solvent...

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Thank you for the awesome pics, and story to go along!  It was like I was there!  They look amazing 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

@StrokerAce it’s gonna be hard to go back after how easy it was to do these. Especially since we can just swap any time. My only wish is for more variety of grips but I don’t know if certain styles have patents that protect the company. (Thinking mcc4)

@Rob Person thanks!! It was fun to do. Hopefully answered your questions about laying the tape and if the grips would twist!

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

1 minute ago, LeakyValve said:

@StrokerAce it’s gonna be hard to go back after how easy it was to do these. Especially since we can just swap any time. My only wish is for more variety of grips but I don’t know if certain styles have patents that protect the company. (Thinking mcc4)

@Rob Person thanks!! It was fun to do. Hopefully answered your questions about laying the tape and if the grips would twist!

I saw that if you put a little solvent on the end of the grip to help get it started, some of the more stubborn styles will go on with no problems.

I've probably gripped and regripped about 20 times and the removal and swapping looks sooooo easy. 

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

10 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

INSTALL COMPLETE!!!  

My process!

(Before)

LASTLY! 

Well done, they look great! 👏 

If anyone is questioning whether or not to switch to air, just look at the 5 minute mark on Leaky's video... it makes it so quick to remove and try something else.

Sending some positive vibes to your thumb, I know that exact feeling lol!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

18 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Well done, they look great! 👏 

If anyone is questioning whether or not to switch to air, just look at the 5 minute mark on Leaky's video... it makes it so quick to remove and try something else.

Sending some positive vibes to your thumb, I know that exact feeling lol!

Agreed. Video makes it look too easy. Really excited to get mine on in the next few days!

12 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting your video, very useful. 👍👍👍

General grip question...I'm no stranger to installing my own grips, but I've never layered up tape to reduce the taper. A number of folks in this topic have either tested with it, such as LV here, or had questions indicating they prioritize the ability to manually impact the taper. Is this what the majority of folks do? Or does it just seem that way (because the people that don't do it...wouldn't be asking about it)?

Victor Bruhn

SW Washington State

@Gusset

i think it comes down to preference. Some guys may really like the look and texture feel of a standard tour velvet, but want it to feel thicker in certain spots. I think being able to change things rather quickly with the star grips is a huge plus. As doing a traditional install could prove very costly and time consuming just to figure out how you like your grips to feel. 

personally with my mcc4s I only ever used one piece of tape. I relied on the grip itself to make up for the lack of extra tape layers. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

Just got a package this morning and it was the air gun from Star Grip! Fast turn around and stellar customer service. Should be getting the grips on tomorrow or Sunday!

Bit the bullet, compressor ordered and on its way. Should be here tomorrow.

image.png.4b40f00278cbc1900014a8c3ff7fb6ba.png

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Quick range warm up before my round today and putting the new Star Grips in to hands of the "Golf Gods" - well ok into my hands.

1st feel on the Green Sidewinder (plus 4 layers tape) felt natural, very tacky.

Next quick test was get the grip wet - now normally I'd just towel it down, but for the review I repeated the above.

Whilst not stupidly slick I certainly wouldn't want to swing the club. So towel dry and try again.

The grip was back to superglue - very impressed.

Next was to get a feel for the grip in my normal gloved setup and this was the part I found really interesting - you could hear the tackiness (hope it comes out in the audio).

Also the feel in my lower right hand was as I hoped compared to the Golf Pride MCC Plus4. 

Moving onto the Tour Star (already reduced taper) - I like the softness and the slight feedback of the wrap.

Hitting this was great very much like my previous gamers - but as a I said I really liked the softness in the hands and the reduced taper felt no different. The slight wrap gave me a reference point for my hands.

Lastly and this was the one I was thinking could be the big difference - no tape build up on the Orange Sidewinder.

Now this did feel odd compared to my usual setup. I could feel the the taper and it wasn't a complete NO!!! Actually it played fine, but did give a surprising result - maybe someone could explain this. My normal shot shape is a baby draw - has been for what seems like forever; in fact I fight a bit of a hook which was my original reasoning for moving to the build up tape in the lower hand and then to the Plus4 grips. However on the no tape Sidewinders I was getting a bit of a natural fade maybe 5 yards and somewhat consistent. I did feel like I was griping a bit more on the lower hand or wrapping my hand around more.

Anyway I did play a full 18 with them and yes the Tour Star and Green Sidewinders performed very well still got the baby draw, soft in the hands. I couldn't fault them. The orange stayed with the slight fade, but once I'd got my head around this I coped. I'll give the orange and few more weeks in this setup to compare with the tape, but may just have to blow them off and put the tape on just so I'm back to "normal". 

All in all for a 1st quick range test and the 1st round with them I'm liking what I seeing and feeling.

I'm back out tomorrow so will try and get some playing videos done - Steven Spielberg my playing partner has been drafted in for the arty movie shots and to obviously make me look good.

Later y'all!!

Edited by EugeGall

@EugeGall great videos and descriptions. 

for the fade bias I know I was the complete opposite. I had to go up in size to stop my hands from turning over. I wonder if you’re just keeping the face that little bit more square with the no wrap grip. Since your hands are normally doing something with a bigger grip. And having less grip makes that “something” less impactful on face or swing path

Great video clips and descriptions on the feel of the grips.  Is the blue one a traditional wrapped grip, or just the appearance of one?

WITB-

6 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Great video clips and descriptions on the feel of the grips.  Is the blue one a traditional wrapped grip, or just the appearance of one?

@Rob Person the blue is Star Grip’s Tour Star same rubber compound as the green and orange Sidewinder. The wrap is not too pronounced, but enough to give a subtle feedback when gripping. Nice and soft and the built in reduced taper works for my preferred feel on the lower hand. 

I have a hard time telling the difference in taper between the two grips from Star’s website. 

Best I can tell, the Tour Star is a reduced taper. The Sidewinder has a traditional taper. Is that right?

Also, is the Sidewinder firmer and the Tour Star softer?

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

11 minutes ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

I have a hard time telling the difference in taper between the two grips from Star’s website. 

Best I can tell, the Tour Star is a reduced taper. The Sidewinder has a traditional taper. Is that right?

Also, is the Sidewinder firmer and the Tour Star softer?

@Prodigal Duffer yep Tour Star is reduced taper and Sidewinder traditional.

The Sidewinder is supposed to be firmer, but to honest I found them pretty similar with both being soft. 

Gripped my first club, 60° Callaway MD5 Wedge that I don't use and used one of the spare (blue)grips. Tried doing it by keeping the tape on but was having problems so stripped the tape. 

I felt a little uneasy that it didn't feel that it went all the way on but no movement on the butt so seems good. 

With the weather deteriorating over the next few days it will give me a good run at re-gripping the full set. 

IMG_1359.jpg.758bf896f3a219780ae3afc44e7c6b66.jpgIMG_1358.jpg.dde23d6d2c5764400c0f5860f44fcb3e.jpg

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I am liking these grips alot!  I cut a 1/2in off my three wood today and started the compressor and popped the grip off, did my cut and then popped the grip right back on in less than 5 minutes!  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter