Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I figure this is the best place to ask this question. To quickly bring everyone up to speed I had a very minor (now that I've had tons of tests and know) heart event on the golf course two weeks ago. Since it didn't seem so minor at the time though I was admitted to the hospital and treated to a cardiac cath (perfect!) an ekk (perfect) diagnosed with a benign tachycardia and released the next day. Three days latter I went out and shot an okay for me 75. But..... I started to not feel well and two days latter I woke up with 104 fever. Back to the ER, nurse listens to my lungs, shakes his head, doc listens, chest xray, pneumonia. I caught some sort of super bug during my hospital stay that quickly morphed. Doc didn't want to admit me for obvious reasons so he pumped me full of a very strong antibiotic and prescribed some more for kicks. That was five days ago. Since then I've had a follow up with my primary who said that I'm doing great and allowed me to go back to work on a very restricted basid starting today went in, pushed some papers, walked my campus to survey the tropical storm damage, taught a Bible Study and about collapsed. The doc said it would be six weeks until I'm normal. I'm really wondering about golf and when I'm going to be able to play again. If I had to miss six weeks it wouldn't be the end of the world because living in Florida we play year round. On the other hand my work schedule affords me much more time in the summer months than the rest of the year.

Any thoughts from those who have had pneumonia? Let me know how old you were when you had it. I'm currently 55. Of course thoughts from a medical professional would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

First off, best wishes to your speedy recovery!

The fact that the antibiotics worked is a good sign, so really the only other thing you can do is rest.

You shouldn't have to worry about going to the hospital again unless...

- you're older than 65.

- you have other health problems, such as COPD, heart failure, asthma, diabetes, long-term (chronic) kidney failure, or chronic liver disease.

- you cannot care for yourself or would not be able to tell anyone if your symptoms got worse.

- you have severe illness that reduces the amount of oxygen getting to your tissues.

- you have chest pain caused by inflammation of the lining of the lung (pleurisy) so you are not able to cough up mucus effectively and clear your lungs.

- you are being treated outside a hospital and are not getting better (such as your shortness of breath not improving).

- you are not able to eat or keep food down, so you need to take fluids through a vein (intravenous).

Have you considered praying for better health? :P

I know nothing about health to speak of, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. Pneumonia is serious stuff. Because of the fluid build up in the lungs, it causes your heart to work harder contributing to congestive heart failure. Causing minor problems to become major problems. My grandfather died of this at 76. He was in good health but got pneumonia and died while in the hospital with it.

I had it when I was 35 and my doctor impressed upon me to do as he said or die. Since my grandfather had died a few years earlier I listened for the first time. I spent a week at home reading, and did take a while to get over. I played golf with two broken legs, however, that is just painful, it is not life threatening. When I had pneumonia I did not play golf. The heat in Florida this time of year can cause enough health problems with out going out when not in the best of health anyway.

It may not take six whole weeks but the more you rest now, the quicker you can get over it. Stuff that you do not even think of as strenuous is more strenuous with pneumonia.

Of course I broke my legs in May, and had pneumonia in December so it was an easier call to make. Even though we did have some 70 degree weather.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Thanks to both of you and trust me Rover Rick I've been praying without ceasing! Remember you were 35 and didn't go to work for two weeks - I'm 55 and taught a Bible Class today after 5 days - My Doctor's PA spent 5 minutes with me on Monday and said, "The word miracle comes to mind here don't spoil it. Given how you look and are talking I'll let you teach on Weds if you want." I caught the same xray tech afterwards for my followup xray and she said, "I'm coming to your church." :)

I'm really learning the part about stuff that doesn't seem hard being hard - I can't believe it but I believe it. I've watched tons of people die of this disease even held some of their hands while they did so I have a proper fear and respect of Pneumonia. As much as a pain as it might be I can miss 6 months of golf here - no big deal - I've lived here 6 years and in that time there's been exactly 1 (one) day that I wanted to play golf where weather prevented me. We might get a freak cold snap in January but we generally play year round and rarely in anything below 60.

I like the live to play another day approach. As I feel better I'll start hitting the putting green, do a little putting on the rug in the utility room for now (it runs around 10.5 on the stimp meter) and just be smart. Boy I hate being middle aged.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Best of luck on your recovery revkev.......it does not have to be cold and winter to catch pneumonia....My Mother caught it in the month of July and didn't have the strentgh to fight it....passed on 5 weeks later. I do not want to sound depressing, but please be careful. You can run yourself down by trying to do too much too soon.

I have played golf since I was 8 yrs old (now 61) except for 2 years when I shattered my left wrist and underwent 4 surgeries to put it back together. After the first, I had the Dr put a one inch piece of my hip in my wrist so my arms would be the same length.....just to play golf. It took 3 surgeries to get it right as the bone did not want to reattach. If i can manage 2 years without playing, then surely you can go one Summer. Besides, in Florida, the best golf season is realy Oct-Dec and Mar-May.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

......Because of the fluid build up in the lungs, it causes your heart to work harder contributing to congestive heart failure. Causing minor problems to become major problems. My grandfather died of this at 76. He was in good health but got pneumonia and died while in the hospital with it.

X2.

In the nursing home they call it a dying man's best friend. If you're not ready to die though.....it's no fun. Take it slow and heal completely.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Remember guys I'm a pastor - I've seen lots of tales of woe from Pneumonia - now I'm getting to understand why up close and personal like. I worked half day yesterday and again today but I'm totally exhausted now. I'm a guy who typcially works a 60 hour week but no way right now.

Between what I'm hearing from guys who have had it and some of my parishioners and golfing buddies here I realize I'm just going to have to wait out the six weeks. As Fozcycle said this is hardly our prime time for golf anyway so it's not that hard a decision. I'll wait the next month just putting here at home at bit every day. I may try and hit a few balls after a couple of weeks and consider playing 9 after a month. If I'm not up to it I'll wait out the whole six weeks.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

No one is advocating taking the entire time off, but do not rush anything. And that means work as well as golf. Even though for most of us the "calling" to go to work, does not come from as high an authority as yours.

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the input. I know it's hard for some to understand just how much I love my job. I love my people so much that it is very hard to not be there with them and for them. Got to see some of my gals while I was in today as they were working on Sunday's bulletin - imagine serving a group of people whose only concern is that you get better. It's like stealing twice a month when I get paid. (Of course my wife and I view very differently who's getting robbed) B)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Okay just made it through today's wedding. That's a huge accomplishment given that I didn't really make it through Weds Bible Study. I'm going to lay down for an hour in my study and then do 15 minutes on the putting green. Lay down again and do 6 o'clock church.

My parish nurse stopped by to see me prior to the wedding. She has a doctorates in nursing. She told me that in her opinion I've had an upper respiratory infection for some time. It was what caused the irregular heartbeat and not vice a versa. When I consider how I've felt for the past couple of months I think she's right.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Okay just made it through today's wedding. That's a huge accomplishment given that I didn't really make it through Weds Bible Study. I'm going to lay down for an hour in my study and then do 15 minutes on the putting green. Lay down again and do 6 o'clock church.

My parish nurse stopped by to see me prior to the wedding. She has a doctorates in nursing. She told me that in her opinion I've had an upper respiratory infection for some time. It was what caused the irregular heartbeat and not vice a versa. When I consider how I've felt for the past couple of months I think she's right.

That was how I developed pneumonia. I had an upper respiratory in fection for months. I had a cough that continued for the better part of 6 months. I went to the doctor a few times but I was 35 or so and had always been strong as a horse, so it was no big deal. Then it got to where I could not lay down, but I could sleep in a recliner, and no big deal, I would get over it in a couple of days. Finally, my wife forced me to go back to the doctor. And he was not happy that I allowed it to progress to that point.

I don't know why we do this to ourselves! But we're guys and we do. :rolleyes:

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived