Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

We held the Benefit for a Friend today, my day started as I arrived at The Babe at 6:15 this morning, followed by feverish registration and selling raffle tickets. We shot gunned at 8:00 with about 72 players. My group had two bogeys before we saw our first Birdie. We finished 3 under and was in the middle of the pack with a 67. The winners were two twosomes that I put together that finished at 10 under (60). I acquired two season passes with parking for Busch Gardens during the auction and I won a pro lesson with TJ Heidle at Rogers Park. TJ broke Woody Austin's record 59 at The Babe, he shat a 58 a couple years ago. All said, it looks like we raised about $5,000 for our friend Henry and his 44 yr old son Anthony who is battling bone cancer.

Today was a great day for our Lord, as he worked with us to raise funds for Anthony.

Nice job!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So I have played two rounds in the last two days with my new VR-S Coverts. This is my first set of Still Shaft clubs. How I shot isnt as important (read as terrible) as a few things I have noticed:

1. My yardage is dead on. AFter taking my clubs to Golfsmith and using the launch monitor, I got a pretty good idead of my yardage with each iron. This carried over almost exactly to both courses I played. If I had a 190-205 yrd shot, my 6-iron was the right club, and so on. So the distance consistency was amazing to me. 

2. My targeting is way off. If I needed 160 to the middle of the green, I would hit 160 on the nose, nut anywhere from 10-20 yards on either side of the green. I am hoping that I can chalk this up to getting used to the new clubs. With my last set, my targeting was much more on point.

So I am not at a total loss. There were great points, and not so great in these two rounds. I am going to head out and play one of my easier courses this coming weekend so I can concentrate on mechanics and techique more than worry about the holes.

Good luck. Took me about a month before I started getting truly used to my new clubs. Once I did, it was lower scores almost right away.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

We held the Benefit for a Friend today, my day started as I arrived at The Babe at 6:15 this morning, followed by feverish registration and selling raffle tickets. We shot gunned at 8:00 with about 72 players. My group had two bogeys before we saw our first Birdie. We finished 3 under and was in the middle of the pack with a 67. The winners were two twosomes that I put together that finished at 10 under (60). I acquired two season passes with parking for Busch Gardens during the auction and I won a pro lesson with TJ Heidle at Rogers Park. TJ broke Woody Austin's record 59 at The Babe, he shat a 58 a couple years ago. All said, it looks like we raised about $5,000 for our friend Henry and his 44 yr old son Anthony who is battling bone cancer.

Today was a great day for our Lord, as he worked with us to raise funds for Anthony.

Good to hear. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Absolutely awesome! Great job. I love it when there is a good cause to play for.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Awesome work, Foz!!!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

So I have played two rounds in the last two days with my new VR-S Coverts. This is my first set of Still Shaft clubs. How I shot isnt as important (read as terrible) as a few things I have noticed:

1. My yardage is dead on. AFter taking my clubs to Golfsmith and using the launch monitor, I got a pretty good idead of my yardage with each iron. This carried over almost exactly to both courses I played. If I had a 190-205 yrd shot, my 6-iron was the right club, and so on. So the distance consistency was amazing to me.

2. My targeting is way off. If I needed 160 to the middle of the green, I would hit 160 on the nose, nut anywhere from 10-20 yards on either side of the green. I am hoping that I can chalk this up to getting used to the new clubs. With my last set, my targeting was much more on point.

So I am not at a total loss. There were great points, and not so great in these two rounds. I am going to head out and play one of my easier courses this coming weekend so I can concentrate on mechanics and techique more than worry about the holes.

If you hit it the right distance the accuracy will come and the scores will go down. Just watch. Most players, even really good ones with the single number under their names, under club because they over estimate how far they hit the ball. For higher handicappers it's by around 40 yards withe the driver or at least two clubs with the irons and for lower handicappers it's 10 yards and half a club.

Getting it hole high half the time is a huge step in player development. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If I could putt (4 footers), I would have shot 78/76 over the weekend, I ended up 85//81. I had 4 three putts and 1 four putt on Saturday,

And I missed 5 three-four footers Sunday, 81 with 5 missed short putts, and triple bogey on 12 Sunday.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I birdied 1 and 9, but I played horribly in between.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I traveled to Salem, OR this last weekend to visit family.  I played the Salem Golf Club; not a long course but lots of trees and tight fairways. I usually play it about once a year.  The greens were very quick, just as I like them.  I shot 81 with two doubles; one out-of-bounds on a par 5 (really bad swing) and the other in a pond.  I made every putt from less than 5 feet and 8 putts that ranged from 5-15 feet; no 3-putts.  I had never broken 85 there before.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm in mourning as it appears my golf swing is dead- at least for now. Saturday I shot 103- yes that reads one hundred and three- on a course where I regularly shoot mid-80's. Absolutely nothing was working. It was truly a, "What is this game and what are these crooked sticks doing in my hands?" kind of experience. I did not walk off the course after the fifth hole (took a 9 on the par 5, thank you), even though I would REALLY rather have been drinking at the 19th hole at that point. Oh, and did I mention that this was a TOURNAMENT?! You see, it's taken me four days just to put the experience into words. Well...that and I had to wait for a few people to post and put some distance between my whining and Foz's great benefit post above. Ah, perspective. Anyway, I'm in mourning nonetheless. Recovery starts this weekend, of course.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I'm in mourning as it appears my golf swing is dead- at least for now. Saturday I shot 103- yes that reads one hundred and three- on a course where I regularly shoot mid-80's. Absolutely nothing was working. It was truly a, "What is this game and what are these crooked sticks doing in my hands?" kind of experience. I did not walk off the course after the fifth hole (took a 9 on the par 5, thank you), even though I would REALLY rather have been drinking at the 19th hole at that point. Oh, and did I mention that this was a TOURNAMENT?! You see, it's taken me four days just to put the experience into words. Well...that and I had to wait for a few people to post and put some distance between my whining and Foz's great benefit post above. Ah, perspective. Anyway, I'm in mourning nonetheless. Recovery starts this weekend, of course.

I am so sorry for your Loss.......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Sorry, I hope it is not catching.  I see from your list of equipment that we have similar irons and wedges.  I bag i20s 5-GW, also purple dot, and the SCOR 54 and 58.  So far, I am doing OK so I would rule out the equipment as the problem.

Best of luck on the recovery!

Well look at it this way - your misery turned into a laugh for many of us and it can't get worse - well it shouldn't get worse - well it's golf so who in the heck knows. 

Keep hitting it and something good is bound to happen.  How's that for advice.  Best wishes!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

MGS- cheap therapy. Thank you all for your support. I wish I could blame that abominable round on my equipment, KB- what better excuse to look for new stuff!- but unless I were referring to the "equipment" between my ears, I would be kidding myself.

"Keep hitting it and something good is bound to happen.  How's that for advice.  Best wishes!" This is what I do in lieu of actually getting any kind of professional help! Ha!

STX xForm 3, 35"

MGS- cheap therapy. Thank you all for your support. I wish I could blame that abominable round on my equipment, KB- what better excuse to look for new stuff!- but unless I were referring to the "equipment" between my ears, I would be kidding myself.

"Keep hitting it and something good is bound to happen.  How's that for advice.  Best wishes!" This is what I do in lieu of actually getting any kind of professional help! Ha!

:)  It's a lot cheaper and it's probably more sensible.  If you shoot 103 and you're a 13 there's bound to be a 72 out there somewhere too. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Played Saturday morning with my regular group after not sleeping for two days due to work travel and shot a respectable 74.  Played well tee to green and putted like an absolute dog which I chalked up to lack of sleep.  Went with my son on Sunday to roll some putts and realized that it was not lack of sleep that I was just blocking every putt so I took some video of my stroke and sent it to my instructor back in Philly.  His advice was to change putters (I like where his head is at) to a heal shafted blade that would rotate a bit more and that should solve it.

Played a scramble for work on Monday and putted lights out with the change in flagstick.  Drove the ball great all day and won one of the long drive holes and lost the second since I literally ran out of fairway off the tee.  Team shot -15 and won by two for an overall good day out.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Rev is right. There will be low scores to go with the high ones. I seem to have a problem with the end of June. It started many years ago when the annual meeting that I went to (alternating east coast/west coast) started having a golf tournament the day before the meeting started. This was in July. So in June my swing started looking like Tin Cup's on the range at the US Open! When I got to the tournament, everything was fine and I was fine the rest of the year, until the next June. I don't go to the meeting anymore, but it happened again this last June.

It seems that when you think about it a lot, bad things happen. I play best when I am not trying to fix something, but just go out and have fun. Really focus on the good things when they happen, and ignore the bad. Know you are going to hit a good shot; don't hope you will. Golf is a mind game as well as a skills game. And remember... the mind doesn't do negatives. When you think: "Don't go to the right." (because there is a hazard there), all your mind hears is "go right". Guess where the ball is going?

Let us know how the weekend goes.

82 today,  still not hitting driver straight or long but it stayed in play.  Irons were ok but I putted well once again.  Had 3 makeable birdie putts skim the edge and one lipped out on 18 for par.  It's getting better,  hope to maintain it.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I shot 77.  I tripled the first hole after some big time bunker trouble, but then I bounced back with a birdie on the 211 yard second hole.  I had three birdies on the front, a triple, and two bogeys.  I was all over the place.  I think I hit the cart path 7 times, had to hit it through power lines, hit a couple trees, was on the wrong hole, and I even lost a ball in a tree after going for it in two.  My short game was incredible, I had a bunch of tap ins.  I had a bunch of birdies, but I was all over the place.  I hit two fairways, but 10 greens.  It was a crazy round.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Shot 75 today in a round that had a very telling result on the three par fives. Can never reach the first one in two, laid tho 111, hit wedge to 2 feet, birdie. Had 231 to a back pin on the next one into the breeze, over water, thought for a second, laid up short of the pond to 97, gripped down GW, 5 feet, birdie. Had 220 downwind on the last one, over water again, didn't catch it,wet, pitched on bogey.

Hum!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Way to go Rev! You are nailing those SCOR wedges.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Shot 75 today in a round that had a very telling result on the three par fives. Can never reach the first one in two, laid tho 111, hit wedge to 2 feet, birdie. Had 231 to a back pin on the next one into the breeze, over water, thought for a second, laid up short of the pond to 97, gripped down GW, 5 feet, birdie. Had 220 downwind on the last one, over water again, didn't catch it,wet, pitched on bogey.

Hum!

There's a lesson in here somewhere- I'm sure of it! Nice wedge work Rev.

STX xForm 3, 35"

SeeRed doing this test for SCOR has really honed my wedge game - I've hit at least 400 full wedge shots of some stripe or another over the past month.  Not only did my round yesterday say something about strategy (I know the something, don't try a shot over a hazzard unless there's a greater than 90 % probability that it will work and hold your ego in check.) it says something about practice - I've gotten really good at the shots that I've been practicing.

I need to practice more with my fairway woods, mid irons and putter once I'm done with this test.  The rest of my fame is aces - The other possibility is to find a way to get long enough with the driver to only need short irons but lets face it - I'm better off adopting that first plan.  Anyway I am hitting the driver great right now and was surprisingly and unexpectedly long with it - the guy I played with is normally 20 yards longer than I am when we both catch it and we were neck and neck yesterday.  He made eagle on the hole where I dunked it - knocked his 5 wood to 20 feet - I should have hit 5 wood that one I do pull off 90 percent of the time.  But he needed that Eagle to break 90 - amazing game.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

SeeRed doing this test for SCOR has really honed my wedge game - I've hit at least 400 full wedge shots of some stripe or another over the past month.  Not only did my round yesterday say something about strategy (I know the something, don't try a shot over a hazzard unless there's a greater than 90 % probability that it will work and hold your ego in check.) it says something about practice - I've gotten really good at the shots that I've been practicing.

I should have heeded your advice last Saturday.  On #18, I had 180 to the middle of the green, taking my 5 wood, I thinned it right into Pebble Creek.  If I had made it, I would have scored under 40 on the back nine.  But I was greedy, should have laid up and gone for the up and down from 85 yards......

Hum!

Rev I have started doing this more and more as the year progresses, more often than not when I try to go for it in 2 I end up with bogey, but when I lay up to 110-120 yards I often have a really good putt at birdie, and rarely shoot more than par. Perfect case, club championship last weekend, I was finishing very strong I birdied 15, bogey 16, birdie -7, and the finishing hole is par 5, I hit a very good drive , I has 245ish to the center of the green, 225 to the front I had a good lie ball slightly above my feet, I hit 3 wood trying to get eagle, hit a horrible shot and left myself short left with the pin back left, I had no shot, I had a 25 yard shot over the left deep bunker with no green, and no way to stop the ball, I had to play safe because of the bunker and ended up 60 feet away on the back right and 3 putted. Finished with 81 and I had an 8 on hole 12. If I would have laid up to 110 with my wedge, I could have had Easy shot into the left flag position and would have easily made par andost likely would have had a good chance for birdie, which would have been 79 with and 8. So many times I make the wrong decision and it costs my a lot. It's frustrating enough without have my head get on the way

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• SPY VIP

I just finished a round with Golfspy Tim and I played so well that I just made a $500 online purchase at Golf Galaxy. Yep, that was a round for the ages. Nothing like figuring out that you are fighting your equipment...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I just finished a round with Golfspy Tim and I played so well that I just made a $500 online purchase at Golf Galaxy. Yep, that was a round for the ages. Nothing like figuring out that you are fighting your equipment...

Goodness! what did you buy?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

Goodness! what did you buy?

So I was also playing with a friend who bought my old 2009 Burner irons from me. My i25's and myself have not been communicating well these days. Coming up short. Really short. Like 135 yard 5i short. As I was bitching about it, he suggested I hit his irons to see if it was a gear issue rather than my swing issue.

After hitting a few shots with the Burners, it was pretty clear that it's likely a gear issue. Old irons = old distances. Go figure.

I ordered a set of the Burner 2.0 irons from GG for $299 as soon as I got home. Then I impulsed into a green Bio Cell driver. I am liking the Bio Cell Pro quite a bit, but that green just sucked me in. Not the Master's limited, just the Dicks/GG exclusive. It was total impulse. We will see on that one...

They have some sales going so it was irons+driver+overnight shipping for about $490

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I guess you'll find out shortly if it's the Indian or the Arrow.

So I was also playing with a friend who bought my old 2009 Burner irons from me. My i25's and myself have not been communicating well these days. Coming up short. Really short. Like 135 yard 5i short. As I was bitching about it, he suggested I hit his irons to see if it was a gear issue rather than my swing issue.

After hitting a few shots with the Burners, it was pretty clear that it's likely a gear issue. Old irons = old distances. Go figure.

I ordered a set of the Burner 2.0 irons from GG for $299 as soon as I got home. Then I impulsed into a green Bio Cell driver. I am liking the Bio Cell Pro quite a bit, but that green just sucked me in. Not the Master's limited, just the Dicks/GG exclusive. It was total impulse. We will see on that one...

They have some sales going so it was irons+driver+overnight shipping for about $490

Do you think the i25s were just a bad fit?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot