Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

It was so nice when I got up today...52* at 8:00 am. I was on the course by 9:30 am and played the back 9. I shot 39 (+4). If I could have made the 2 very makeable birdies I had on 15 and 17 It would have been better! I really need to put some serious effort into becoming a better putter. It just kills my scores.

It was absolutely beautiful here today as you can see...

Nov30GolfDay.jpg

So I went to play.  Shot even par with one birdie, one bogey.  Not bad when the temperature is 24* and there is a little ice on the greens!

Nov30GolfDayGreen.jpg

It's actually not bad when you walk and are dressed for it.  The hardest part is playing low punch shots so the ball can run up on the green. I used the 3UP ball today and it felt good in the cold weather.  Had a couple putts at birdie but with the ice on the green, I had to settle for a birdie from off the green with my 50* SCOR wedge.  It's a different way to play golf!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I so don't miss those days Kenny.  Did you have any shots hit the green and bounce off because of the ice?  The freeze would be so deep in Wisconsin that this always seemed to happen - we'd pretend we were playing in the Open.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I so don't miss those days Kenny.  Did you have any shots hit the green and bounce off because of the ice?  The freeze would be so deep in Wisconsin that this always seemed to happen - we'd pretend we were playing in the Open.

I had one shot bounce off the back of the green about 3 feet; up and down for par. On 2 greens that face south and were in the sun most of the day, I landed 2 shots on the green that stayed. One with my 58 and one with my 50; missed both birdie putts and I blame the ice. My chip-in came with my 50 from about 10 feet off the green; pin was back and I was back right, had to land it in the fringe behind the green and it broke about 3 feet to the hole. All luck!

With each year I am getting closer and closer to wanting to be a snowbird!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We have a house for sale on our street - it's a nice small one ideal for folks from Washington.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks rev. I've spent enough time in Florida to know that I would rather live in the desert! Too muggy and buggy; nice place to visit though.

My wife and I want to visit the World Golf HoF, and since we usually take a golf trip in Jan-Feb timeframe, that might be our destination next year. No trip this year because she will just be getting back to golf after knee replacement.

Most courses here are open if the temperature is going to stay below freezing. It's when it's below freezing, people walk and drive on it, then it warms to above freezing that the grass dies and it looks pretty ugly. My practice course doesn't care. Members go out before the course is open and when it warms up, there are brown tire tracks and footprints. Pro doesn't care; it eventually grows back, just looks ugly. But this is only my practice course, so I don't care.

Too bad my Mom isn't still around Kenny, I used to make frequent Scottsdale runs. :(  Miss mom - HoF is about 3 and a half hours for me and I would gladly come up to play if you come - don't know what will happen with my Navy son but he's currently stationed not far from there.  We also have another MGS member right near there.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Too bad my Mom isn't still around Kenny, I used to make frequent Scottsdale runs. :(  Miss mom - HoF is about 3 and a half hours for me and I would gladly come up to play if you come - don't know what will happen with my Navy son but he's currently stationed not far from there.  We also have another MGS member right near there.

I have a timeshare condo in Daytona Beach and another in Orlando. I need to make reservations starting this Jan to get the unit I want for next Jan. So will have to pick dates in about a month. Probably late Jan or early Feb. I could split time in each, so would be closer in Orlando.

Man, my game is in a real funk right now.   I played a bunch over the Tday holiday weekend and it was all bad.  I think I made only 1 birdie and 1 eagle Total over about five rounds.  Two sided miss with the driver and usually short, I can't find my swing.   Fwoods good, longer irons lousy, Scors only okay, putts - nothing dropping.   That's a recipe for 80's golf for me.  I think I need a break and will probably have one forced upon me by weather soon.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Man, my game is in a real funk right now.   I played a bunch over the Tday holiday weekend and it was all bad.  I think I made only 1 birdie and 1 eagle Total over about five rounds.  Two sided miss with the driver and usually short, I can't find my swing.   Fwoods good, longer irons lousy, Scors only okay, putts - nothing dropping.   That's a recipe for 80's golf for me.  I think I need a break and will probably have one forced upon me by weather soon.

Hey! Sounds like my usual game. You mean all I have to do is hit my driver long and straight, hit fw woods and long irons good, keep hitting my SCORs great, and make putts; then I can be a 2 HCP? :) I'll work on that.

Howdy All,

I have been absent for while, but have still been playing golf.  I played my best round ever last weekend.  The problem was the weather was simply not cooperative. While it was warm, 65* it was cloudy and windy. I mean 25-30 mph wind. Add to that the leaves are falling off the trees here, which means blowing across the greens. Sometimes on, sometimes across.  Not unusual to get the leaves out of your line of putt and more blow on the line before you can putt.  Often it is a group effort and still leaves blow into the ball while it is rolling.  I had that happen on back to back holes on Sunday.

But nevertheless, I struck the ball better than ever before, and putted great also.  I had 7 birdies and an eagle and I so wish I could end this story there.  -9 in 8 holes is a lifetime best round.  5-6 times I am flag hunting from 200+ out.  The eagle was actually a chip in, but I hit a hybrid 242 that rolled passed the hole and just off the green.  Oh yeah, and I had two or three pars and even a three putt bogey.

But then there is the other 7 holes or so. The 135 yard par 3 where I hit a 6 iron and came up short, or the 4 hybrid on the 145 yard par 3. or the driver, 3 wood, 7 iron, chip on the 400 yard par 4. These holes, I was +10 for a smooth 73 on the day.  I still won my match by more than 8 strokes. We played in different groups and I was 8 up on hole 13 or 14 and he conceded.

It was interesting that perfectly struck balls were not effected by the wind much at all. However, the slightest error in ball striking was very penal. The drives not directly into the wind were only 20 yards different than I would have expected but fail to make solid contact and be 100 yards off.

I had a number of holes where I hit really good shots, and walked off with bogey or double.

The wind was fierce all last week, and I remember one day I shot a 51-38.  haha. Nothing like a consistent round.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Very nice round in tough conditions RR. Sounds like weather we get up here frequently. I have been telling my wife nearly every round we play that a well-struck ball is not affected by the wind. Now I have backup! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I showed up at my regular course today and there was a new set of Tess. It seems that they held the playing test for all the local PGA club pros there today. These tees were between our black (back) and white tees. We played them and had a blast. Lots of people come and play our blacks because they see 6700 and think cake - they don't often fair well unless their name is on their bag from those tees.

For the record I shot 73 - I'm playing good golf right now.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

41/42 - 83 for me yesterday which is a new personal best. Did have 55 degree weather with no wind which was a help I'm sure. My goal right now is to break 80 by summer. I will make it happen.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

41/42 - 83 for me yesterday which is a new personal best. Did have 55 degree weather with no wind which was a help I'm sure. My goal right now is to break 80 by summer. I will make it happen.

Nice round! I like the positive attitude.

Develop a plan on how to get there, and stick to it. Practice with a specific purpose in mind.

I have found that when you play, never think about the score. Don't even add up the score for the front nine until after the round. If you focus on the score during the round, you are not focusing on the shots. I had my best round (69, a lot of years ago), when my buddy was keeping score. I knew I was playing well, but I was just out having fun!

It's been 6 months since I've played a full 18 hole round. I've still hit on the range and been on executive courses a few times but not much other than that. I shot 81 (+10) and was almost able to break 80. I was 8 over teeing off on 16 and eventually had a three putt that should not have happened, the approach shot landed 15-20 feet away and it was a straight slight downhill putt but I hit it a tad hard and pulled the 3 footer coming back. I then saved a bogey on 17 and parred 18. I was putting pretty decent and hitting my tee shots great but my approach shots were killing me. I had to grind to save par on quite a few holes, good thing my short game was on, for the most part.

Had an absolutely gorgeous day on Dye's Valley today, mid-70's sunny and just a light breeze.  My game, not so good.  Started well, but up and down all day.  5 pars, a birdie and 7 doubles.  All  intermixed!  Lots of good shots and lots of "where did that shot come from"?  Good news is that the shorter putts issue that had suddenly cropped up last two rounds went away on the back nine and started stroking the ball smoothly again.  Other bonus is that it was a 3 hr 25 min round.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Nice round! I like the positive attitude.

Develop a plan on how to get there, and stick to it. Practice with a specific purpose in mind.

I have found that when you play, never think about the score. Don't even add up the score for the front nine until after the round. If you focus on the score during the round, you are not focusing on the shots. I had my best round (69, a lot of years ago), when my buddy was keeping score. I knew I was playing well, but I was just out having fun!

Thanks for the great advice Kenny. I've been trying really hard to eliminate thoughts about score throughout my rounds lately. I'm surprised at how difficult it is. I'm playing tomorrow so I'll have my buddy keep score without totaling the front 9 until the end. Now that I feel like I have a somewhat repeatable swing I'll be spending most of my practice time on my short game, which is probably what I should have done from the start.

42/46 = 88 at Babe Zaharias Golf Course....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

37/44 - 81 today. Another personal best. Happy but disappointed at the same time. Wind got worse on the back 9 and I let it get to me and made some poor decisions along with a few 3 putts. On the bright side, I figure if I can play decent in 40* weather with 20mph wind then I should be in good shape when spring/summer roll around. I'm thinking that playing through this fall/winter will be beneficial to my game.

Played in the St Nick Open today. 2 man best ball, no handicap but flighted based on handicap. I was 2 under for 27 holes, 18 on the big course plus the Par 3. My partner helped us two strokes so we were 4 under which was good for 6th place out of the 18 teams in our flight.

I hit the ball so well particularly after taking my costume off. I had a three hole stretch where I was 4 under, birdie, birdie, eagle. I hit 17 of the 27 greens and only missed one fairway all day, first drive with my bishop's cassock on. The pins were in tough spots so there were two three putts but several one putts as well. I had 30 putts on the big course and 13 on par 3 course. 1/1 from the sand.

Great event, glad I played and stoked about how I did. I hit a couple of drives over 250 which is very long for me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I sat around waiting for the rain, but it never showed. So, I went and played 9 by myself. I managed a +2 on the front 9 with 2 birdies. That's pretty for good me, considering I hate playing in wet, sloppy conditions. 

I also learned that Intech balls suck!...lol. They were cheap and I was out of balls. Not worth the price, even to play this time of year, IMO.

Played Brooksville Country Club with my Grandson Jonathan on Monday,. I shot a 90 and he was glad to be there.

There are 4 holes on the backside, that are carved out of an old quarry.....absolutely stunning views and tough holes to play.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Played Brooksville Country Club with my Grandson Jonathan on Monday,. I shot a 90 and he was glad to be there.

There are 4 holes on the backside, that are carved out of an old quarry.....absolutely stunning views and tough holes to play.

It's a sleeper course sort of a poor mans Black Diamond Ranch.

We get a doozy tomorrow. I hope that I feel better.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Had tons of fun today which is code for I didn't play so hot. However it was pretty cool to pull out a bottle of 18 year old Macallans on 14 tee and share a shot with my playing partners.

As we were driving across the Bay heading back to St Pete one of the guys said, "this is why we live here."

Really! It's December the 26th, we were playing a world class golf course, top 100 in the US and probably underrated at that, for $54 lunch included, we could wear a short sleeve shirt, had a drink of $200 scotch, the 16 ounce beers were $2.50 and we got to watch the sunset over Tampa Bay on the drive home. Who cares that no one made a putt over 8 feet all day and I was the only to break 90.

Thanks Foz we will do it again soon!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Had tons of fun today which is code for I didn't play so hot. However it was pretty cool to pull out a bottle of 18 year old Macallans on 14 tee and share a shot with my playing partners.

As we were driving across the Bay heading back to St Pete one of the guys said, "this is why we live here."

Really! It's December the 26th, we were playing a world class golf course, top 100 in the US and probably underrated at that, for $54 lunch included, we could wear a short sleeve shirt, had a drink of $200 scotch, the 16 ounce beers were $2.50 and we got to watch the sunset over Tampa Bay on the drive home. Who cares that no one made a putt over 8 feet all day and I was the only to break 90.

Thanks Foz we will do it again soon!

Sounds like I want to be there!

Shot a 45/46=91 at World Woods today with Revkev.

Keenly there's still plenty of scotch left in that bottle. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches