TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Pretty windy in Chicago yesterday as well (about two clubs) had some buddies who just joined a private club down in the south burbs and they invited me. Nice old club about 6700 yards, big trees, some elevation, quick greens that slope back to front with lots of hunkers and water hazards.

First time I hit a ball in about two weeks so was rather rusty. Definitely showed in my short game as I had a three putt and don't think I got up and down once! Nice little what could have been 75. 10/14 fairways, 9/14 GIR, 32 putts, 1 penalty, 8 bogeys, 6 pars, three birdies, and an eagle. Highlight of the round was on the 10th hole. Drove it in the right fairway bunker. Had 90 yards to the pin for my approach- hit it about 93 yards right over the stick and it ripped back and rattled the flag stick. Left me with a tap in birdie.

I'm shocked that Foz was able to get out and play - I just saw a blurb that half of the courses in the Tampa Bay area are closed.  Our range has been closed since last Friday afternoon.  So the only golf for me this past week has been a practice green session on Tuesday. 

We have more rain in the forecast for today heading into the weekend.  I'm off for four days and have a tee time early Sunday afternoon but I'm not hopeful at all. :(

Now I know how are Texas guys felt last Spring.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@Rev, it was cart path only and 6 of us were game to play.  We did not get rained on during the round, but found the course pretty swampy with spongy greens.  It did give us the opportunity to hit some balls.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

From the Tampa Bay Times newspaper yesterday:

Steady rain since late last week has rendered some area golf courses unplayable. Others have only nine holes open, and just about all are enforcing the cart path only rule. Fairways are a soggy mess, so be prepared to get wet.

"We're beyond Squeegee,'' said Brian Cummings, head professional at Fox Hollow in Trinity. "There's nowhere for the water to go.''

Fox Hollow has been closed since Friday. Some fairways, greens and sand traps are under water. Cummings hopes the course will open Friday, but more rain is forecast.

"We've had a total of 14 inches out here,'' Cummings said. "We can't take any more rain.''

Westchase Golf Club in Tampa is in the same situation. The course has been closed since Thursday after absorbing close to 18 inches of rain, said Jarod Atkinson, Westchase's director of operations.

He is hopeful the course will be semi-playable in the next day or so. Unless it rains.

"Then there's no way,'' Atkinson said. "If we get any more rain at all we're going to stay closed for a few more days. It's been brutal.''

The loss of tee times means a loss in revenue. But that is a hit golf course directors sometimes take during the rainy summer months.

Mangrove Bay Golf Course in St. Petersburg is one of the most played courses in the county. Mangrove's director of golf, Jeff Hollis, expects to have a few days every year when the course is unplayable. But this summer there have been more than usual. The course has been closed since Friday, with the exception of Sunday afternoon.

"We've had 17 inches this month,'' Hollis said. "We're just saturated. We can't get a break from this weather. Right now we're just going day to day.''

That is the same philosophy being used at St. Petersburg's Vinoy Golf Course. The private course has done all it can to get its members some playing time. On Tuesday, only the back nine was open.

"It has been unbelievable,'' Vinoy head professional Rob Spiars said. "We are very soggy right now. There's just nowhere for the water to go. We open every morning with the intention of being open but once the rains come we're done. We have been partially open through all of this.''

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

83 today. 2 over through 12 holes. Double on 13, double on 14, and bogeys the rest of the way lead to 8 over on the back.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

From the Tampa Bay Times newspaper yesterday:

Steady rain since late last week has rendered some area golf courses unplayable. Others have only nine holes open, and just about all are enforcing the cart path only rule. Fairways are a soggy mess, so be prepared to get wet.

"We're beyond Squeegee,'' said Brian Cummings, head professional at Fox Hollow in Trinity. "There's nowhere for the water to go.''

Fox Hollow has been closed since Friday. Some fairways, greens and sand traps are under water. Cummings hopes the course will open Friday, but more rain is forecast.

"We've had a total of 14 inches out here,'' Cummings said. "We can't take any more rain.''

Westchase Golf Club in Tampa is in the same situation. The course has been closed since Thursday after absorbing close to 18 inches of rain, said Jarod Atkinson, Westchase's director of operations.

He is hopeful the course will be semi-playable in the next day or so. Unless it rains.

"Then there's no way,'' Atkinson said. "If we get any more rain at all we're going to stay closed for a few more days. It's been brutal.''

The loss of tee times means a loss in revenue. But that is a hit golf course directors sometimes take during the rainy summer months.

Mangrove Bay Golf Course in St. Petersburg is one of the most played courses in the county. Mangrove's director of golf, Jeff Hollis, expects to have a few days every year when the course is unplayable. But this summer there have been more than usual. The course has been closed since Friday, with the exception of Sunday afternoon.

"We've had 17 inches this month,'' Hollis said. "We're just saturated. We can't get a break from this weather. Right now we're just going day to day.''

That is the same philosophy being used at St. Petersburg's Vinoy Golf Course. The private course has done all it can to get its members some playing time. On Tuesday, only the back nine was open.

"It has been unbelievable,'' Vinoy head professional Rob Spiars said. "We are very soggy right now. There's just nowhere for the water to go. We open every morning with the intention of being open but once the rains come we're done. We have been partially open through all of this.''

Somebody should sell it to California.  Could be a money maker.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, Mizzy told me to go play golf today.  So I did.  Played a local muni, and since I was tired from traveling yesterday, I decided to play from the Whites.  It's a par 70 and I shot 74; 3 bogeys and birdie on both front and back.  I was swinging pretty freely and made a few putts.  One thing I did today is putt Jordan Spieth style; that is, looking at the hole on short putts.  It seems to work for me on putts less than 4 feet, so that's my limit right now.  I am going to start a new thread on this and monitor my putting for the next week or so.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great weather in Sioux Falls this morning, very little wind and high 70s/low 80s and I'm really liking the putter adjustments and Burner 2.0 irons.  Honestly, I'm pretty happy with my bag today.

I played out of town at I course I usually play 3-4 times a year (Bakker Crossing), and groups were backed up on the first tee.  My partner had his flight home canceled late last night, so I was playing solo and got hooked up for the front nine with a guy who brought his two little girls along (he lasted 5 holes).  Since he was playing blue tees and we were late getting started, I played blue as well.  I really just wanted to get a round in with the Burner irons, so I wasn't too concerned about scoring.  I didn't play too badly off the blues, so I was happy with bogeys.

After my playing partner vanished after the fifth hole (I think the girls were tired), I went back to my usual white tees and normal distances and hooked up with another solo player to finish out with 3 pars and another bogey.  Other than a couple of pulls with my fairway and a hybrid, my ball striking was really consistent.

I then start off the back 9 birdie-par-birdie-par-bogey-par-par and I realize I'm having my BEST 9 ever, so I immediately bogey number 17...  I'm still at even par heading to 18!

The last hole is actually one of the easier ones, a fairly short par 4 dogleg right and I see my drive heading safely toward the left side of the fairway.  I see a ball off that line, near my usual distance as I'm carting up the path and two guys in a cart are approaching from the next fairway.  It's not my ball, but they said mine is further up.  I slowly start back up the line and, as I'm getting ready to turn back, they yell for me to keep going.  I drive past the "end" of the fairway where it doglegs right and find a ball behind a small tree 85 yards from the green.   I double-check and, yep it's mine.  I think the adrenaline kicked in - lol

I hit a wedge off to the left of the green, chunk the chip, downhill putt goes about 9 feet past the pin and 2 putts later I'm in with a double.

That's STILL my best 9 (37) and best overall score (79) on this course EVER ;)

On the down side, it's getting tougher to figure out what clubs I need to replace with something new.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The local Paradise Card has a web link that is updated daily for course conditions.....

http://www2.cybergolf.com/sites/courses/template.asp?id=919&page=105453

You can see from day to day what we are up against......Once the rains subside, it will still take a bunch of sunny days to dry out the courses.

The local Paradise Card has a web link that is updated daily for course conditions.....

http://www2.cybergolf.com/sites/courses/template.asp?id=919&page=105453

You can see from day to day what we are up against......Once the rains subside, it will still take a bunch of sunny days to dry out the courses.

Oh, the humidity!

Oh, the humidity!

Sounds like my wife... ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

It's normally wet this time of year in Florida so playing in those conditions is not the issue.  Normal for us in the summer is hot, humid, lots of sun with showers either in the morning, afternoon or evening depending upon the wind conditions.  Instead we have been stuck with a stationary front over the Northern Part of the State that is pumping moisture in along the central Gulf Coast.  There has been almost no sun and the rain is just coming out of nowhere - not the typical thunderstorms although it's thundering right now. :( 

I'm off for the next four days.  Tomorrow is a family day so no golf but I could play in theory Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.  Right now it looks like there is very little chance of that happening.

Now for the good news - this is the perfect weather for the new greens at the club.  They are literally ready to go two weeks early.  All we need is for it to dry out a bit so that they can mow and roll and we will be playing them.  Our ribbon cutting is scheduled for 8/15 but there may be a preview they have come in so well.  They look awesome, we went there for dinner on Weds evening. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I decided not to play today.  It's 104* right now at 2pm headed for 108.  Same for both Sat and Sun.  It's supposed to cool off to 96 on Mon.  woo hoo!

I decided not to play today.  It's 104* right now at 2pm headed for 108.  Same for both Sat and Sun.  It's supposed to cool off to 96 on Mon.  woo hoo!

Jerk! :)

To go with the rain our heat indexes are topping 100. It's ilke being on the equator.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

In the midst of a 3 week vacation in Maine, Connecticut and Long Island, no golf.  Up in the northwoods of Maine, with highs in the mid 70's.  Yesterday, here in Shelton CT, people were moaning about the extreme heat and humidity.  88 degrees I think.  I never broke a sweat, thought it was quite pleasant.  I am enjoying "real greenery" and elevations, however, as opposed to the palm tree and palmetto brownish green of the Florida landscape.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Jerk! :)

To go with the rain our heat indexes are topping 100. It's ilke being on the equator.

I'll take our dry heat thank you very much. Humidity and I don't get along very well. I can drink lots of fluids and be OK. But the summer I spent on the east coast was horrible; it just drains your energy and I always felt like I had to constantly take a shower. I do feel sorry for you!

Sounds to me that the Rev and Foz need to redirect some of that rain to California where the drought is.  We've had a bit of precipitation here as well and I had a sleep in on Friday when I woke up at 6am and heard it bucketing down only to find out that my buddies who were obviously more hard core than me went out and only had a small shower.

To be honest though 3 months straight of playing 6 days a week catches up with me now I'm a bit older.  I felt bone weary this weekend but am looking forward to going out again tommorrow after a couple of days off.  Also reducing the playing schedule to 4 days a week  + practise should help ;)

​

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

I played like a big stinky pile of crap today, but I did something today that I thought was not possible, I shot a 90 which is possible, but I shot 90 and did not lose a ball, and didn't have any penalty strokes. I only missed 4 fairways. I three putted like 6 times, chipping was non-existent, irons were good, but I got a dent in the shaft of my 8 iron on the seventh hole and was not able to use it the rest of he rkind, all in all the day was a disaster.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I played like a big stinky pile of crap today

So did I. Shot a freaking 105 and lost I don't know how many balls. I was sick last night and probably shouldn't have played but, when you got the bug....

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

97 today which marks me finally breaking 100!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

97 today which marks me finally breaking 100!

Nice! You'll be in the 80s in no time.

Flew back in late Friday night and decided playing Saturday morning was not a good idea so I played this morning. Was just tired all round and about a club shorter than normal with the irons and really just couldn't get it going. Ended with even par for the day thanks to a hot putter on the back 9. I had been looking for a soft feeling wide body blade and the Kenny Giannini seems to fit the bill for me. Made two birdie putts of about 30 feet and saved par three times on the back from around 10. Time for some cold beers and a hammock to watch some golf this afternoon.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

After a two day break, because of family stuff and overall, played pretty well despite getting rather "pooped out" in the heat, on the back 9.  4 over on the front, 6 on the back which is two below my handicap for the home course!!  

The loft adjustment on my putter and the "A" wedge from my new irons have really improved my scoring from close in this past week!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

89 today at the club. They had the qualifier this weekend for the club championship so the greens were stupid fast and the pins were in some hateful locations. Regardless, I just didn't play well.

Hit my driver great but couldn't do anything with them. Putting was nonexistent.

I did put the 64° PM grind in the bag. Loving it so far even though I haven't had any practice time with it. 2 up and downs from bunkers and a couple nice flop shots to a few feet. On 16 I went long with my approach and the green slopes from back to front. Huge mistake. My partner said he'd buy me a beer if I got up and down. I enjoyed a Yuengling after the round thanks to the wedge. Seems like a really good club to have around that course and just a heck of a lot of fun to use.

We had 31 players yesterday morning go out on a soggy cart path only course and we got 11 holes completed when the heavens opened up and dumped a s$&t load of rain on us. We had to close the course and hangout at the Pub the rest of the day....

I am hoping to take off Tuesday and play......please?

Shot 79, made some putts, and scrambled well a few times.

Best part of the day was hitting some solid 4 and 5 irons on or very close to the greens.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

76 yesterday. Had trouble down the stretch due to extremely slow play. Like ridiculously slow play.

Today I shot -4 through 12 holes. Had to stop playing so I could play in the men's game. Was -4 through 13 in my second round and then got a case of the double crosses due to me choking my ass off. 3 doubles and 2 pars to finish. Shot 74 And was on the winning team so I won a few bucks. Had a lot of fun today dispite a horrible 14-17.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Played this weekend with Mr. Theo. Beautiful day (finally) here in Ohio. It was my first time out with new Ping Irons and TMR15 driver I picked up used. Had my best chip in ever!

However, the highlight of the day was seeing someone on their hands and knees trying to hammer the tee into the ground. Yes the tee box grounds were that hard. That and plans flying ever so low made my day (it was the airport course).