Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

What a day!  Played in the AJGA Junior Players championship Pro Am on the Stadium today.  One of the top 2 or 3 tournaments for juniors in the country.  Our "Pro" was 16 Joseph Chun out of Irving California.  Great guy.  Format was a "shamble".  Choose best drive of the group and then play your own ball the rest of the way.  The Juniors played their own ball all the way through, though we could use their drives.  The juniors had to play from the tips.  Even though we played the "blues" (about 6,700 yds), on several holes he had to hit considerably further than us.  50% of course handicap was used.

We had one guy in our foursome who was a four HC and could just pound his driver (at least by the standards of us 50-60 year olds), so we often used his drive and had reasonable shots to the greens.  I had one of my best iron striking days in years today, hit two thirds of the greens and had three natural birdies.  Rest of our group did real good as well, and we ended up 16 under par and won the event!  Got a crystal vase AND a brand new R-15 Driver fresh out of the Tour Van (which was there for the event), plus a certificate for a free round on the Stadium.  I was able to walk down to the Van and they swapped out heads for me, replacing a 12 degree with a 10.5 degree (my current Rocketballz is a 9.5).

Quite a haul, probably tripled the entry fee with the prizes and the stuff in the swag bag.  Plus, really, really pleased with the progress from my lessons.  

Isn't it amazing what a few more yards off the tee does for your scoring.  I am pretty sure that if I had another 20-30 yards like I did when I started playing golf, I could be a 2-3 HCP now, whereas back then I was a 24 HCP.   <_>

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Isn't it amazing what a few more yards off the tee does for your scoring. I am pretty sure that if I had another 20-30 yards like I did when I started playing golf, I could be a 2-3 HCP now, whereas back then I was a 24 HCP. <_>

I'm going to grow up to be like you.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Must be a day for scrambles.  Played in our annual Holden Scramble today.  Slightly different format where each player has to hit at least 3 drives, and on any hole where your drive or other shot is selected you are out of it until the ball is on the green.  All four are then able to putt.  We shot a 64 eight under with one bogey and that gave us a 58.25 net.  Came in fourth place and won a nice Callaway umbrella.  The winning score was 56.  Not bad for a bunch of old farts with an average age of 62.  I was the junior member of the foursome.  The weather was perfect, the company better and we all contributed.  Can't ask for much more than that ;)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

What a day!  Played in the AJGA Junior Players championship Pro Am on the Stadium today.  One of the top 2 or 3 tournaments for juniors in the country.  Our "Pro" was 16 Joseph Chun out of Irving California.  Great guy.  Format was a "shamble".  Choose best drive of the group and then play your own ball the rest of the way.  The Juniors played their own ball all the way through, though we could use their drives.  The juniors had to play from the tips.  Even though we played the "blues" (about 6,700 yds), on several holes he had to hit considerably further than us.  50% of course handicap was used.

We had one guy in our foursome who was a four HC and could just pound his driver (at least by the standards of us 50-60 year olds), so we often used his drive and had reasonable shots to the greens.  I had one of my best iron striking days in years today, hit two thirds of the greens and had three natural birdies.  Rest of our group did real good as well, and we ended up 16 under par and won the event!  Got a crystal vase AND a brand new R-15 Driver fresh out of the Tour Van (which was there for the event), plus a certificate for a free round on the Stadium.  I was able to walk down to the Van and they swapped out heads for me, replacing a 12 degree with a 10.5 degree (my current Rocketballz is a 9.5).

Quite a haul, probably tripled the entry fee with the prizes and the stuff in the swag bag.  Plus, really, really pleased with the progress from my lessons.

We're there any girl juniors in the event or just guys? The top 13-15 female junior in Florida plays out of my club. Sounds like a great day. The for real tips for those kids? The tees that are used for the Players?

John will be in soon. I'm seeing an early October trip to Kingsbay. Will you be up for a round on base?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nope, just the boys, mostly high school sophomores to seniors.  Yep the very tips!  Official course set up for the tournament is 7,190 yds, 76.7/155.  On fourteen, Joseph cranked his drive 275 down the middle, still had 210 to the hole.

Kingsbay sounds great!  Plan on it!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Just putting a pre-round status heading to the course now. Then will see how I feel after the round in a few hours. Feeling pretty good and confident been putting well lately and on Wed had a nice lesson worked the ball both ways.Also cut down my drive about 1.5" this week hopefully find more fairways. Feeling confident lets see how it translates. Back in a few hours to report. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Played in the member-guest today at the club. Me and three guests playing better ball so basically I was on three teams. Me and one buddy won the net division with a 63 and took home a pretty nice Ping stand bag. Me and another buddy took second place in the gross division with an even par 73 and won a dozen Taylormade Tour Preferred golf balls. Interested to try them out. I played solid today and shot 85. Had 3 doubles but my partners were able to pick me up. Lipped out 5 putts and a flop shot but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Report is played bad, Shot a 100 with 10 balls ob or in the hazard. Ha ha ha, oh well had some good shots too. best one of the day Hole 9 card says 337 yard par 4 probably paying 330. drive 4 feet to right of the hole but only after my first tee shot was pulled left off the driving range shed about the same distance away. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Okay shot 81 today which sounds bad but..... It was from the tips 7100 yards of fun. I've decided I'm going to play from there until I break 80. 74.8/144 not quite Stadium from the Players tees but not exactly dog meat either. BTW I shot that score averaging 234 off the tee. Could have broken 80, burned lots of edges.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay shot 81 today which sounds bad but..... It was from the tips 7100 yards of fun. I've decided I'm going to play from there until I break 80. 74.8/144 not quite Stadium from the Players tees but not exactly dog meat either. BTW I shot that score averaging 234 off the tee. Could have broken 80, burned lots of edges.

Pretty impressive at that distance.  Assuming you have a few 460  plus par fours in order to get that yardage, that means you have to hit some awesome fairway woods!  Keep at it!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Yep all fairway woods all the time! I was crushing the five wood and hybrid. There are 4 par 4s over 450 I actualyy got at one in regulation and parred two of them. I had two tough three putts, Fazio greens !xxo?x. One was after I hit a great 6 iron pin high 30 feet from 167. That's moving it for me. :)'

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

A stinky 98. 54 on the front and I caught some good for a 44 on the back. Buggered if I know what's going on...still trying to figure out my swing.

https://www.golfpadgps.com/round/RN6JQF

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Played awful yesterday for 9 holes on a course I've never seen. One of the most enjoyable round in recent memory. I got to play with my dad and brother. I get to play with my brother once or twice per year but never get to play with my dad anymore. He hasn't played in around 3 years. We had a blast. I shot 39 my dad 41 and my brother 45. The old guy still has some game for not picking up the clubs in years. That and the fact he refused to use my driver in favor of his steel shafted old persimmon lol. He could prolly still move it out there pretty well if he would use something from this century.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Evershady,

How're you liking those Ping Glide wedges?  I haven't been able to play much lately, but I'm enjoying mine more everytime I get on the course.  It took a couple of rounds to get familiar with the distance differences from my old wedges, but I think they're the most versatile wedges I've played.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Shot an 85 that could have been an 80.  Couple of 3 putts didn't help, but my ball striking is improving.  Driver let me down again and what is it with crooked bounces that stop behind trees.  The Ketsch is out of the sin bin and despite the 3 putts (2) it felt like an old friend in my hands and I made some clutch putts with it too that included two birdies.  Shot of the day was a 215 yard 4 iron third shot from the rough on a par 5 that was one of those birdies. It was nearly an eagle and grazed the pin as it went past.  I sure wasn't thinking birdie when I addressed the ball just getting it close to the green.  The extra yardage I'm getting with the G Max irons hasn't hurt at all.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

My wife came for a visit to my parent's house this weekend, and we got out and played.  It was my first round in quite awhile.  I drove the ball OK, but second, third and fourth shots were good at all.  I managed to shoot 85 and beat my wife who shot 86, which tied her personal best.  I was frustrated that the short game wasn't there, but I was happy to be out playing.  Beautiful day!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played an executive 9 with Mrs Highfade today. Hit it crazy good, but could only drop 3 putts for a 28 (par 31).

Mrs Highfade was not chipping well, so I see some short game practice in our future.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

80. 6 greens 5 fairways and 1 birdie. Played like poop. Something weird I noticed though. I usually play a nice draw with my irons but my pw has almost always done a hook draw. Now my short irons were doing the same. So for me to line up to my target, I point the face where I want the ball to start and than swing into position with the face still pointing where I want to start the ball. The problem is that I take a practice swing and the club face has closed on me. It's like the club is turning in my hands but I do not feel the turn. Anyways, it has cost me quite a few strokes today

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I instituted a new pre-shot routine Friday.

1. Early wrist set-pause
  2. Turn to the top-pause
  3. Swing through
  4. Repeat
  5. then once again with no pauses and at tempo
  6. Waggle to relieve tension
  7. Then swing.

Played better than I have in months.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

IT finally happened for me. Got my first ace on Saturday. Third hole, wind at my back 125 to the pin. I hit a pitching wedge choked down and 3/4 swing. Played a lowish spinning hook/draw. Took one hop hit the flag stick and went down. Funny part was i played alone. I called my dad right away to tell him we were tied even though he gets style points for flying his in the hole. Ended up shooting a 37 on the front. Had a legit chance at breaking 80 but the back was an unmitigated disaster. Started off double, bogey, bogey, double. Ended up having a string on pars and got to 18 needing a birdie for a 79. I ended up hitting a straight pull and had to take an unplayable. Ended up with an 82. I played Sunday shooting a 90ish.I played after pulling an all nighter but did manage a KP, but no birdies. My putting was by far not as sharp as it was a day ago.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

KP?

Closest to the pin

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Not all yesterday or today because guess what boys and girls? It's raning again on the Florida Gulf Coast. Who needs a hurricane? El Niño is the silent killer of a golf game and golf courses.

Mid October can't come soon enough. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

IT finally happened for me. Got my first ace on Saturday. Third hole, wind at my back 125 to the pin. I hit a pitching wedge choked down and 3/4 swing. Played a lowish spinning hook/draw. Took one hop hit the flag stick and went down. Funny part was i played alone. I called my dad right away to tell him we were tied even though he gets style points for flying his in the hole. Ended up shooting a 37 on the front. Had a legit chance at breaking 80 but the back was an unmitigated disaster. Started off double, bogey, bogey, double. Ended up having a string on pars and got to 18 needing a birdie for a 79. I ended up hitting a straight pull and had to take an unplayable. Ended up with an 82. I played Sunday shooting a 90ish.I played after pulling an all nighter but did manage a KP, but no birdies. My putting was by far not as sharp as it was a day ago.

Congrats Sportsfan on your ace.  You know though it didn't really happen because there was no one there to see it ;)  Frustrating too about the back nine, if I had a dollar for every time I've done that myself...

My Bag

Congrats on the ace! You'll have a great story for years to come.

I don't have much experience with it, but if I remember correctly, I couldn't keep my head in the game after my ace.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder