Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

For some reason I have forgotten how to hit a golf ball. Everything is in the heel so much so it border son a shank. It slike i woke up and forgot how to play. Yesterday was also a tale of two 9's I shot 49(!) on the front and 41 on the back. The back could have been lower too.  I was playing decently leading up to my last 3 rounds and the wheels have just come off. I am trying everything. if not for my short game it would have been worse. My wife quilts (Beautiful quilts) and I basically told her it would be like if you were quilting very pretty quilts then suddenly you went to make a quilt and forgot how to do it. They kept falling apart and the lines were all crooked.

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Had 2 rounds at Waikoloa on the Big Island Hawaii.

Played Kings Course first, off blue tees. Played with rental clubs. Had 82 with 6 X 3 putts, couldn't adjust to rental putter and Bermuda greens, reasonably happy with how I struck the ball. Played with my 15 yo daughter, she hit some good shots after adjusting to rentals.

Second round at Beach course, off white tees. 74, par 70. Lost a ball for a double (decided 3 wood off the tee for safety) and missed a tap in. Much better on the greens, still not a fan of Bermuda greens, but bent doesn't work everywhere.

Both courses were in good condition, fairways a bit scalped in places, and a couple of burnt off patches on Beach course greens, but overall no problems.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Returned to Eastlake today, the tougher North course. Because the sand is softer and deeper than my home course, i decide i needed more bounce. i put away my Vokeys and put in the first SW i ever bought, 18 years ago: a Top Flite Tour SW with TT Dynalite Gold shaft (no loft shown), and a clubmaker's LW, a Bite 'n Spin 60* HI-LOB with Brass Face Technology (as stated on club) with DG S300U shaft. Both have Lampkin Crossline Midsize grips, in good shape because i keep them indoors for dinking around foam balls. Hit a variety of shots with both clubs: sand, chips, pitches and full shots. Both performed very well. I didn't get a lot of spin, but all shots accomplished their primary mission, i.e., get out of sand, on green, etc. Shot 45/49 for 94, I've never broken 90 on the course in about 100 tries. But i parred some of the toughest holes. The course is just narrow (hit 9/14 fairways) and the greens are fast and rolling (4/18 gir, 36 putts). Fun to put the old wedges to work.

On a couple of tight driving holes, i teed of with 4i, both went over 200 down the middle. My irons missed mostly short or right and usually thin. Once on the green, the speed was like lightning, so tough to stop near the hole. I only had 2x 1-putts ans 2x 3-putts.

My best shot came on #18. My layup was left of the fairway on some detritus of old leaves and branches from a gully. I had 130 to go, against the wind and needed to carry a 50 yd pond in front. Unfortunately my ball had a tree 20 yds in front. I could either punch out sideways to fairway, or thread the needle between the tree in front and the heavy woods to the left. I could not fly over the tree, it was too close. Normally I'd hit a 9i 130, but took 7i to ensure it stayed low below the branches and carried far enough to clear the pond. The ball came out just as planned between the tree and the woods, carried to the green and rolled into the back bunker. I was so excited when i saw it hit the green I didn't see it finish. Anyway, chunked it out and 3-putted for double, but 2 others in my group picked up on the hole and i tied for low score on the hole. Great to pull off that shot!

I'm reeling from today's round. I actually drive it great and then proceeded to hit every approach exactly where it shouldn't be. Now I found a wide variety of ways to get it there from flushed irons that flew too far to chunks and slight blades. Then I couldn't get up and down, when I hit a green I three putted. So without a penalty stroke I shot 84. What a disaster. But I saw an eagle.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Played Wolf today with one of my buddies from my course and two guys that I didn't know from another course.  We played at their course, and I haven't played there in over a year.  I played pretty lousy, shot 87 with two doubles and a triple, but I was the big winner.  

Highlight was on hole the par 4 #11; I was lone Wolf with a good drive down the middle.  Two guys hit second shots that missed the green, and my buddy hit one just off the green middle with the pin way back.  I proceeded to duff my second shot which rolled through the desert natural area to grass short of the green, about 50 yards from the pin.  I could just hear everyone's thoughts:  "We've got this one!"  Nope.  Pitched it onto the green and into the hole for birdie!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Back at Get a grip - I don't know about your wind yesterday but ours was variable from North to NE and then to NW - There were no holes straight down 1,8,9,18 all played into the wind.  Bayou gets unbelievably hard in a Northeast wind.   That's the direction that it was coming from when Kenny and Martha were down.  That direction is very hard to get a handle on.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Shot 5 over on the back 9. Happy considering the wind was blowing 20-25 the whole time. Had three 3 putts but the greens got punched last week so I'm not too worried about it.

Bringing my driver from the range to the course is my immediate concern. Everything else is solid.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Shot 5 over on the back 9. Happy considering the wind was blowing 20-25 the whole time. Had three 3 putts but the greens got punched last week so I'm not too worried about it.

Bringing my driver from the range to the course is my immediate concern. Everything else is solid.

Hey Jbil, what is your miss with the driver? Or what issues are you having?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Hey Jbil, what is your miss with the driver? Or what issues are you having?

My miss is a snap hook. I don't miss left unless I get frustrated and try to hit a massive cut because I'm tired of hitting a hook. Usually it's strike related, hitting it out on the toe. I only hit 4 drivers today. 10 was great, 16 was solid but hooked not necessarily a snap hook, 17 was a toe snap hook, and 18 was a middled snap hook.

It's not an issue with any other clubs, I hit 3 wood three times today, once off the deck and twice off the tee. No issues. Slight draws as with the rest of my clubs.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Played this past Monday at a course called Willandale in Sugarcreek, OH. Shot a 91 (just 3 strokes off my best ever), but what was significant was the conditions we played in. Temps were in the mid-40s and windy when we started, but we decided to give it a whirl anyway. I was freezing by the 7th hole, but somehow managed to shoot a 43 on the front 9, which matched my personal best (second time I've done that int he last couple weeks). Warmed up a bit at the turn and grabbed another jacket. Ended up shooting a 48 on the back nine, because I had one triple and one quad. By the end of the round I could barely feel the fingers on my right hand and hanging on to the club took concentration. After we were finished, temp was down to 33 with a realfeel of 22 - the wind was just brutal - but I was pumped, because mentally it was by far the best round of golf I have ever played. I was half-frozen and miserable on one hand, but felt so alive and energized on the other. Can't wait to get back out again, but will probably be at least Sunday - we'll see. Seems I've finally found a feel that I can identify consistently (i've sought that for so loooooong) for my driver. Last 3 times out, just stroking solid, straight drives, better than I have ever done with any consistency. Wow, what a different game when not every second shot is a recovery shot. My ball-striking as a whole is much more consistent (still have a ways to go in accuracy, but progress is being made!). Playing with a little hope must be helping my putting too; working on my chipping right now, hopefully soon my scores will be dropping into some new territory!

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Beautiful day outside, sunny and light wind. Course was empty for a change. I was breezing along. On #13, Par 3 over a big pond to a peninsula green, i hit a low hook that went down by the water. I parked the cart by the green, then walked back down to the water where the bank drops off steeply. Just as i got to the edge, i looked to my right. Sleeping half-in, half-out of the water was a 7-foot gator. I almost walked right up to him without seeing him. But as it turned out, i was about 20 feet past him. Still, nobody was around, nobody would've seen a thing. Spooky.

Oh yeah. I forgot about finding my ball. It was somewhere right where he was. ProV1, too.

Beautiful day outside, sunny and light wind. Course was empty for a change. I was breezing along. On #13, Par 3 over a big pond to a peninsula green, i hit a low hook that went down by the water. I parked the cart by the green, then walked back down to the water where the bank drops off steeply. Just as i got to the edge, i looked to my right. Sleeping half-in, half-out of the water was a 7-foot gator. I almost walked right up to him without seeing him. But as it turned out, i was about 20 feet past him. Still, nobody was around, nobody would've seen a thing. Spooky.

Oh yeah. I forgot about finding my ball. It was somewhere right where he was. ProV1, too.

Don't want to end up like Chubbs...   " Yeah. tournament down in Florida. I hooked my ball in the rough down by the lake. Damned alligator just POPPED up, cut me down in my prime."   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I shouldn't have brought my irons from the range the last time that I played. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Walked our North course today. Surprised when i added my score: 42+42 for 84. Much better than my usual 92. Had 2 birds, 6 pars, 8 bogies and 2 triples. 10 fairways, 6 greens, 33 putts. Hitting the snot out of the F6s, love 'em. The secret to hitting greens is 1. Jack all the lofts by 3* a club, and 2. Put the next higher number on each club, i.e., make the 6i a "7i", etc. etc. Then your ego says you're hitting an 8i when it's really a 6i.....

THAT is so unlike you!!!

It was something and I know exactly what I was doing wrong. I will hit the range tomorrow and the course after church. I did see these guys though.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Played a practice round today, as we have our league two day Spring Tournament this weekend. I shot 42/48=90.....:(

Chipping, bunker ply and putting were horrible. Drives 11/14 fairways, 2/4 par 3 greens, 8/14 GIR, and 36 putts. My drives were terrific. My approach shots were great. If missed the green, I was just to the left pin high. BUT chipping & bunker play stunk!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My miss is a snap hook. I don't miss left unless I get frustrated and try to hit a massive cut because I'm tired of hitting a hook. Usually it's strike related, hitting it out on the toe. I only hit 4 drivers today. 10 was great, 16 was solid but hooked not necessarily a snap hook, 17 was a toe snap hook, and 18 was a middled snap hook.

It's not an issue with any other clubs, I hit 3 wood three times today, once off the deck and twice off the tee. No issues. Slight draws as with the rest of my clubs.

I get the miss you describe from time to time, it is usually from being too quick in the transition, try slowing down going back and try to get the feel for smoother slower transition from the top. When I slow down it allows for better syncing with the lower body and I don't feel I have to flip it over to keep from hitting a 39 yard fade/slice.

It was something and I know exactly what I was doing wrong. I will hit the range tomorrow and the course after church. I did see these guys though.attachicon.gif0405161446a.jpg

Nice, we have a pair of bald eagles nesting near the Columbia River and they fly over the course very now and then.

Well, it seems that I have a swing issue.  You and Foz saw a little of it when we were at your course.  Every once in awhile a sh@nk pops up an a most inopportune time.  It has happened every year about now when the weather warms up, but the last two days have just about made me want to quit golf.  

Yesterday I went to the range and hit about 80 balls; no problem, all perfect.  Today I head to the course about 1:30 to practice a little and play nine, waiting for Martha to close her business and play nine.  I was paired with a couple; he was pretty good and she was a beginner.  So we waited for her 8 shots to get to the green.  When it was my turn from inside 100 yards, up popped the sh@nk; twice on the first hole; twice on the second hole; and once on the fourth hole.  I picked up and said, BYE!  Headed to the range and proceeded to hit more of them for the first 50 balls with anything from a wedge to a 5i.  That's when I thought about quitting golf altogether.  

So, then I started hitting woods/hybrids; no problem.  Then back to the 5i and eventually I was hitting it pretty well.  Then back to the wedge; no problem.  I was hitting everything well.  I think I hit about 200 balls which is 180 more than I ever hit on a range to warm up.  Martha shows up, and we head to the first tee.  Played pretty well for 3 holes, then it shows up on a shot, but managed to make it around the rest of the nine without incident.  I guess tomorrow, I will head back to the range for another 200 balls or so.

Nice, we have a pair of bald eagles nesting near the Columbia River and they fly over the course very now and then.

Well, it seems that I have a swing issue. You and Foz saw a little of it when we were at your course. Every once in awhile a sh@nk pops up an a most inopportune time. It has happened every year about now when the weather warms up, but the last two days have just about made me want to quit golf.

Yesterday I went to the range and hit about 80 balls; no problem, all perfect. Today I head to the course about 1:30 to practice a little and play nine, waiting for Martha to close her business and play nine. I was paired with a couple; he was pretty good and she was a beginner. So we waited for her 8 shots to get to the green. When it was my turn from inside 100 yards, up popped the sh@nk; twice on the first hole; twice on the second hole; and once on the fourth hole. I picked up and said, BYE! Headed to the range and proceeded to hit more of them for the first 50 balls with anything from a wedge to a 5i. That's when I thought about quitting golf altogether.

So, then I started hitting woods/hybrids; no problem. Then back to the 5i and eventually I was hitting it pretty well. Then back to the wedge; no problem. I was hitting everything well. I think I hit about 200 balls which is 180 more than I ever hit on a range to warm up. Martha shows up, and we head to the first tee. Played pretty well for 3 holes, then it shows up on a shot, but managed to make it around the rest of the nine without incident. I guess tomorrow, I will head back to the range for another 200 balls or so.

I was taking to our asst. pro a few weeks ago when I was struggling with the S...., he said, do you know the difference between a good shot and a S..., I said, one goes in the woods, the other goes to the green, he said, no, the difference is only about an inch. He said usually it's caused by swaying forward during the swing. He told me to sit back on my heels, make it really feel like I have my weight back, and swing, he said make sure you take a full swing. It feels awkward at first, but I didn't s... Anymore after that.

We've had those Eagles nesting on the range for about six months. This is the first time that anyone had ever seen them in the ground. They were majedtic! In regards to the other thing Kenny I've had them and as Kor had written there isn't much between them and a flush. What works for me is to hit balls with my feet together and a closed stance. The problem with them is that there are a variety of causes. Good luck!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

We've had those Eagles nesting on the range for about six months. This is the first time that anyone had ever seen them in the ground. They were majedtic! In regards to the other thing Kenny I've had them and as Kor had written there isn't much between them and a flush. What works for me is to hit balls with my feet together and a closed stance. The problem with them is that there are a variety of causes. Good luck!

Yes, there are several reasons, and I think I know my reason.  It's just making enough swings so that the correct swing feels normal again.  It seems like when the temperature rises (84 today), my swing is a little looser plus I'm wearing fewer layers of clothing than last month.  My local pro has always said that it's a very small difference between that and a pure shot, but I can certainly perfect it at times.   :(

I must be making progress with the new swing.  Shot a 40-43/83 today, within the top 5 scores of the last few years, and felt really, really disappointed in my score.  Two bladed 9 irons that I salvaged pars on, a bladed sand wedge bogie, chunked 60 yd wedge for my only double, a 3 putt from 15 feet, an eagle chip that hit the cut above a drain and went straight sideways, resulting in a bogie, etc.  Left 8 strokes on the course today on shots that should be easy and straightforward for me.  

Good news is that my ball striking and putting otherwise was really strong for me to even be in that position.  just a shame to hit the ball so well and so much better than my usual and not to get the results it deserved.

Five rounds now after the swing change has clicked in and I've picked up a good 20 yds with the driver.  Playing partners are quite impressed.  Just wish I could hit the short shots as well as I hit the long shots.

BTW, we had the Augusta winds today.  Played one hole where the wind was behind our backs on the tee shot and by the time we hit our second shots, the wind was almost directly into us.  But high seventies and sunny, so no complaints.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Played mixed Pinehurst Foursomes with my daughter, too many 3 putts between us. Drove the ball well, hit some really good irons. Played with another father/daughter team who killed it. We had 83 net 71 3/4, other team had 7 shots better off same handicap.

Highlight was an eagle, holed out from 137m (150yd) with a 6 iron.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Well, it seems that I have a swing issue.  You and Foz saw a little of it when we were at your course.  Every once in awhile a sh@nk pops up an a most inopportune time.  It has happened every year about now when the weather warms up, but the last two days have just about made me want to quit golf.  

Yesterday I went to the range and hit about 80 balls; no problem, all perfect.  Today I head to the course about 1:30 to practice a little and play nine, waiting for Martha to close her business and play nine.  I was paired with a couple; he was pretty good and she was a beginner.  So we waited for her 8 shots to get to the green.  When it was my turn from inside 100 yards, up popped the sh@nk; twice on the first hole; twice on the second hole; and once on the fourth hole.  I picked up and said, BYE!  Headed to the range and proceeded to hit more of them for the first 50 balls with anything from a wedge to a 5i.  That's when I thought about quitting golf altogether.  

So, then I started hitting woods/hybrids; no problem.  Then back to the 5i and eventually I was hitting it pretty well.  Then back to the wedge; no problem.  I was hitting everything well.  I think I hit about 200 balls which is 180 more than I ever hit on a range to warm up.  Martha shows up, and we head to the first tee.  Played pretty well for 3 holes, then it shows up on a shot, but managed to make it around the rest of the nine without incident.  I guess tomorrow, I will head back to the range for another 200 balls or so.

Ken, i have suffered more than 2 years with the same affliction. I also nearly quit the game. I hate to see anyone suffer like i did. Here's what i figured out.

1. Caused by a very slight downward movement with my upper body. This happens because a. I am concentrating too hard, gearing for a solid strike,

b. I am slightly rushing myself,

2. The cure:

a. Relax. Stand tall throughout the swing. Look at Freddy Couples.

b. Think more around your body in the backswing, not so much straight back.

c. As you swing through impact, think about turning your left (lead) hip, back behind you,

d. Don't be afraid to move your entire body during the swing. Be athletic!

These thoughts have turned my iron swing around. Hope they help!

Our league tournament today.

Carded 43/40 for opening round 83. Teed off on tough par 5 into the wind and put up a double right out of the gate. Settled down and had a stretch of 8 straight pars. So pretty stoked about that.

Our team is one off the lead going into tomorrow.

Time for rest. Hit'em good guys

Tazz

Sent using the MSG app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Flew back from Miami last night and not exactly golf weather yet on Long Island. Actually has some wet snow this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond