Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

I love playing when people are watching and the pressure is on. I seem to find another gear or level of focus I didn't know I had. It not something I do intentionally it just seems to happen.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Same here. You could definitely see which players where affected in the groups and which weren't. It was kind of funny at first

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Rough day in mudville today. Carded a 49/46 and took a 10 on the final hole. In our league we have double par max and 18th hole was a par 5, today was the first day for me to walk and I just didn't have anything left in the tank to finish.

On a positive, the new driver shaft did well. Getting used to the length took a few holes but once I got relaxed with it, it boomed!

Looking forward to the next round with it. 300 yards isn't out of the question now.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Very funny weekend... not haha funny, just weird.  On Sat my wife and I played starting at 3:15; we were paired with another couple and it was her second time ever holding a club.  Yes, she shouldn't have been on the course.  He wasn't a whole lot better.  I think they were a little intimidated; I shot +1 on the front and my wife shot +7.  I was fuming about having to play with them; couldn't even watch them swing.  Fortunately, they only played the front nine and quit.  I'm not sure what happened, but I shot +8 on the back for a usual 81.  My wife shot +4 for an 83; her all-time low round.

On Sun we played at the same time and did not have anyone with us.  I shot +3 on the front with one birdie and another +3 on the back for a 78.  That included a DB on 18; don't ask!  My wife not thrilled with her round shooting 89 but that's still better than her 'cap.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Saturday was 43/45=88....I made some changes to my bag for the weekend.  I removed my SCOR wedges, my Cobra 5 Hybrid and inserted the Cobra Bio Cell 4, 5 PW, GW & SW.  Then I put my Powerbilt Driver in the bag.  Good choice on the irons, bad choice on the driver...I was 4/10 Fairways with the Driver...:(  This put me in trouble with 3 drives pulled into the water.  Then one OB.  I didn't really connect with it until the last two holes used( #13 Par 5 & #16 Par 4).  On #17 Par 5, since they have the Senior Tees temporarily moved forward about 10 yards, I can't hit driver or 3 wood due to a creek that traverses the hole at 205-215.  So I was hitting 5w, then 3w.. This time I used my 4 iron, then 4 iron, then PW....Now I have a plan.  Gotta put the Cobra Bio Cell back in the bag.....On Sunday, I played the back nine twice with the Bio Cell in the bag....Again, the 4 iron worked on #14, #17 & # 18 drives....shot a 44, then a 42....with one double on each nine.

Gonna keep the 4 iron in the bag for a while.....until I can't work it.  As for the wedges, I giving the SCOR's a break for a couple weeks.  Working on chipping with my 9i, PW & GW around the Greens. For some insane reason, I was skulling my chips.  

As for my putter, I put my Nike Methos Drone in the bag.  It is a large mallet versus the Bellum Winmore blade.  I was missing most putts by tick hair, usully a pull.  So i thouhgt that using the mallet for awhile, I could straighten it out.  So far so good.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Played 36 this weekend, none at my usual course.

Drove out to Phoenix and played 18 at Greyhawk. Great course out there and loved the atmosphere. It rained on us and the wind howled and switched directions that only one or two holes the wind was into us. As for the golf it was up and down at best.

Sunday I played another local course. Greens were not in great shape and putting was a chore. Hit some really good wedges at times and some that were plain pitiful. Did manage to hit a 35 foot bomb for a birdie on 17. That was the lone highlight of a round where I never really got going and the driving was meh. On plus side, smashed a driver 280 in front of a group letting us play through. Probably the best one all day.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Played 36 this weekend, none at my usual course.

Drove out to Phoenix and played 18 at Greyhawk. Great course out there and loved the atmosphere. It rained on us and the wind howled and switched directions that only one or two holes the wind was into us. As for the golf it was up and down at best.

Sunday I played another local course. Greens were not in great shape and putting was a chore. Hit some really good wedges at times and some that were plain pitiful. Did manage to hit a 35 foot bomb for a birdie on 17. That was the lone highlight of a round where I never really got going and the driving was meh. On plus side, smashed a driver 280 in front of a group letting us play through. Probably the best one all day.

Which course did you play?  I have only played the Raptor course, and loved it!

I played today in my walking foursome group.  After my 81 and 78 this weekend, I limped in with an 85. The pins were in the same positions as yesterday, but I had a bad day putting; just couldn't get the speed right.  It may have been the difference between teeing off yesterday at 3:15 vs. today at 9:30; freshly mowed greens early!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I hate the opposite where you play a good round and look at the scorecard and it was a bloodbath. The best is where you shoot a good number after a really poor start. That gives you so much confidence going forward.

I think this is a classic golf misnomer that all of us engage in from time to time. You can't have played a good round of you shot a poor score. One might feel as if he did but he didn't. The scorecard doesn't lie and every stroke counts. Just ask Hale Irwin about the whiffed tap in that cost him a British Open or me about the 72 turned 73 for the same reason. If you shoot a poor score you played a poor round.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think this is a classic golf misnomer that all of us engage in from time to time. You can't have played a good round of you shot a poor score. One might feel as if he did but he didn't. The scorecard doesn't lie and every stroke counts. Just ask Hale Irwin about the whiffed tap in that cost him a British Open or me about the 72 turned 73 for the same reason. If you shoot a poor score you played a poor round.

I do think you can play good golf without shooting a good round of golf though. I think the key word is round

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I do think you can play good golf without shooting a good round of golf though. I think the key word is round

I agree with both Rev and hcky to a degree.

There are 2 very VERY different things to ask a golfer depending on how long of a response you want to get.

1. What did you shoot?

Answer: a number

2. How did you play?

Answer: have a seat, this may take a while

Which course did you play?  I have only played the Raptor course, and loved it!

I played today in my walking foursome group.  After my 81 and 78 this weekend, I limped in with an 85. The pins were in the same positions as yesterday, but I had a bad day putting; just couldn't get the speed right.  It may have been the difference between teeing off yesterday at 3:15 vs. today at 9:30; freshly mowed greens early!!

I played Talon

Thre is a difference. For instance, you hit great drivers and your irons are just slightly off and you find yourself just off the green. Maybe a gust of wind knocks a ball down. A putt rolls true than hits a bump. Something along those lines where you know you're playing well enough to score but just aren't putting up a good score. I've had a few of those rounds where 4-5 shots could have gone either way and went against me. Those can sometimes double up where you end up in bad lies and the like from a ball that normally is on the green. Cuts  both ways too. I've hit enough ground balls that somehow roll to ten feet that keep a round from getting truly ugly.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

I have to disagree to an extent. Last week I played a course where the greens were rock hard due to a lack of rain apparently in conjunction with the course not watering them either. Think frozen in winter time. First bounces were as high as the flagsticks. I hit 3 or 4 wedges to the middle of greens that ended up well off the back which is not where to miss. Hit a few other shots after that to the front of the greens with the same result. It's not a course where you can run shots up the front of most of the greens.

I hit the ball pretty well all day and hit the shots that I needed to. It just so happened that the course conditions were what they were.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I will respectfully disagree with both of you. That's golf the object is to shoot the lowest score. Balls will roll into divots, putts will lip out, conditions will change from day to day. The score that you shoot is the score that you earned that day. It could have been a very good score for the condtions BTW. That's something that you need to access. A good score at one course may be 79 while it's 75 elsewhere. Generally speaking most people don't know how to access their 50/50 spots for putts or a reasonable result in an approach shot. I see this with guys that I play with all the time and I've seen it in me. It hurts your scores when you play comoetitively if you don't learn to manage your expectations and honestly assess your results.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've had rounds that I shot 84 and thought I played well, and that was a good score that day, but i.e. Also played rounds where I shot 78 and felt I didn't play well at all, I don't think the score determines whether the round was good or not, I agree with Rev that sometimes 80 is a good score, and sometimes it's not. Course conditions, weather conditions all play a part in the score for that day. Last week I shot 82, after the round I counted the putts that I left short that I should have made, and it was 9, I struck the ball well enough to shoot in the 70's, but putting kept that from happening, I earned the score I got, I played well, but left disappointed. That's golf as Rev says, next time I need to get the putts to the hole.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Played in a 4 man captains choice yesterday, just having some fun with the guys, we couldn't get the putts to go, burned the edges several times, lipped a few out, we played well, went -11, easily could have been much better had the putts dropped, but in scrambles it's all about putting. Anyway, the best was on the 14th hole, one of the camera guys was getting action shots of our approaches, and my buddy JB decided it was the best time to hit a shank, right there on camera, just a flat out hosel rocket, and it was hilarious. I am still struggling with the slow speeds of the greens, but hopefully that will work itself out soon enough.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Just got off the course; got there just before noon and the course was empty. One guy was getting ready to tee off so I joined him. Good stick! He shot 75 but took a triple on 18. I shot 81 but left 5 putts short in the jaws. Got to work on that. I learned that he was the owner of a very successful local winery and we had a great time. We will be playing together again. I'm glad I joined this club this year!!

I just had to turn down an invitation to play at TPC PIper Glen, this does not make me very happy. That really sucked having to send that text message. Uggg.

Ouchie. That hurts. My condolences big fella. 

I've had rounds that I shot 84 and thought I played well, and that was a good score that day, but i.e. Also played rounds where I shot 78 and felt I didn't play well at all, I don't think the score determines whether the round was good or not, I agree with Rev that sometimes 80 is a good score, and sometimes it's not. Course conditions, weather conditions all play a part in the score for that day. Last week I shot 82, after the round I counted the putts that I left short that I should have made, and it was 9, I struck the ball well enough to shoot in the 70's, but putting kept that from happening, I earned the score I got, I played well, but left disappointed. That's golf as Rev says, next time I need to get the putts to the hole.

I agree with you in one sense. You earn the score for the most part. You hit a bad wedge to 3-4 foot instead of a foot and miss it? You're own fault. 30 mph winds? Add a few strokes to your expected. There's a difference though between playing poorly and getting lucky and playing well and not getting lucky. For instance I hit a ground ball that scooted over 4 hills and rolled to 10 foot. I hit the 10 footer. Does that make it better than a shot that lands to a few feet but hits a ball mark and the putt misses? 

There's earning it and being gifted it. I'd say there's only maybe 1-2 strokes you can point to during any given outing where any sort of luck would be a factor. Putting is one, especially on greens that aren't maintained well. But I think you can also look at a round and say I played better than the score would indicate: such as having a really bad start, but finishing the back 9 really well. Sure you had two bad holes that blew up a score, but take those out and you probably would look at a totally different scorecard.

44/42 for 86 at Plantation Golf Club. 34 putts hurt. Had 3 birdies that got absorbed quick lol. The driver with the new grafalloy shaft was booming and doing yeomans work today.

Maybe my best $70 purchase in a long time. Driving the golf ball is fun again lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Shot a 40/43=83 today. Using the new Cobra King LTD driver and playing my entire bag with Cobra Bio Cell woods and irons. Putting Thor(my Nike Method Core Drone) putter in my bag I was making 20+ footers or just missing birdies by a hair. Won my 3 Nassau's and took 2nd place in the field of 35 players. Overall, won $112 today. I was 10/14 FIR's with only 4 GIR's and 27 putts.....my putter was on fire!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

45/43:88 today......worked on 4 iron and played the back nine with Paderson Kinetix shaft in Cobra King LTD. I also worked on bunker play and chipping with 3 wedges rather than four......so far so good. Missed one short putt.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Things finally clicked today after struggling for the past few weeks. 15-20mph sustained winds all day. Shot 38/40 for 78. Had four 3 putts. The course we played just had the greens aerated a few days ago so I'm not upset about it. Made one poor decision on one hole which resulted in a double.

My mental game was great today. The M1 was a beast off the tee. Got the 5 wood as well which I'm loving. Really happy with everything right now. The only swing thought I had today was light grip pressure with everything from the driver to putter which seemed to work extremely well. Excited to get out again.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

47/41= 88. I put my new SLDR into play today. I was hitting parts of the course I have never been. I was at least 15-20 yards longer.I couldnt believe it. It did let me know I need to dial in those wedges though. I hit 11/14 FWs and 4/18 greens. One of those FW misses was a 3 wood I left out right. I missed all of my approaches long. I felt chipping was solid even though I had 34 putts. When you miss greens you cant have 34 putts. My allergies were also TERRIBLE. Even time I looked down for a putt my nose would start running down my face.

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

had one of those rounds where you score alright, but feel like you played really poorly, especially down then homestretch of 16,17,18. 31 putts, 4 bunkers, 8 GIR. no birds. 1 penalty (OOB), 1 lost ball that was in play but no-one in the group could find ( deep rough, but still less than 15 feet from the fairway ). There was a time when the score would have made me quite happy, but these days an 89 is such a let down... 

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus