Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Great round Bob, have you ever won your club's championship?

No, John I have not. In fact, I haven't entered into any events since my return to the game in 2005. We have some terrific players at our club and there's no way I could compete at the tees they play from. I just don't have the length anymore.

I like to say I was the club champion at the TPC back in 1999. I was the second member to join and the first and only other was 85 at the time. :)

Semper Fi

My Club

Week 3 of my little league is in the books, and Results are getting better. One over par this week. 2 Bogies, and one bird. Putted well, and hit the ball really well. just can't seem to chip or pitch at all right now.... oh well. It's coming.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Played lousy yesterday...a bad arthritis day! A four over 76.

No rhythm at all. Snappers and blocks off the tee and less than solid iron play. Not too good around the greens either except for a couple of par saving 20 footers.

We had some heavy downpours on the front nine which despite a covered cart got my grips wet. I couldn't keep my hands dry even though I had multiple towels. Polyester towels really suck!

I hit balls after the round and eventually got straightened out but my body was fighting me. There's always tomorrow. :unsure:

Semper Fi

My Club

Yeah I wish my bad days looked like a 76 lol. I can't seem to shoot anything other than 83 recently. For about the last 4 months thats been my game and I'll either have a horrible front 9 and great back 9 or something like that. I can't wait to go play in Hawaii in 2 weeks just because I love playing over there.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

Yeah I wish my bad days looked like a 76 lol. I can't seem to shoot anything other than 83 recently. For about the last 4 months thats been my game and I'll either have a horrible front 9 and great back 9 or something like that. I can't wait to go play in Hawaii in 2 weeks just because I love playing over there.

Have fun and bring us back lots of pictures!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Hey thanks man an I will. I never seem to take any pictures of golf courses when I go over there so this year I will be sure to.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

Yesterday was one of the rare days in Oregon when the sun was out and my daughter was at school and I was not working so....... to the golf course I go. Strange round. I hit it like poo, chipped even worse, but didn't score too terribly. +5 for 18, with a triple on a short par 3. I did make an eagle on a really short par 4 though. 244 with a small green. (I know, its really a par 3, but on the card, it says 4). 15* hybrid to 12 feet, and made the putt. Someday I will put it all together.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I shot 1 under a couple of days ago. 3 birdies and 2 disappointing bogeys.

Shot another 1 under a couple days ago. I was flaring every drive right but ended up with 4 birdies and 3 bogeys, and it was on 18 holes this time. Then I shot a 6 over yesterday, but I wasn't really paying attention most of the time. That's what I get for playing with friends I guess.

Went out to a new course with my dad yesterday and shot a very pleasing 40 on 9 holes over the course of 3 hours. 5 bogeys, 1 birdie, and 3 pars, 4 GIRs, 4 fringe in reg on very small, very slow greens. The newly fitted irons performed very well for me. My only real complaint was that I had 2 balls sniped from me by people playing adjacent holes.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I saw the bragging optional in the title and just had to chime in. :blink:

Finally getting used to the Rapture V2/Graman S70 combo and hitting every fairway with decent (for me) distance.

I was in an injury related slump for 4-5 months that got me up to an 11 handicap. The elbow is now pain free. I ditched the NS Pro 950s and went back to PX in my irons. Shooting in the mid-high 70s again! My last 3 rounds have all been 76 or better.

I bogeyed the first hole and the last hole yesterday for my 2nd best round of the year. Those 16 straight pars must be some kind of personal best. I made a couple of 10-12 ftrs for par, but also missed 3 birdie putts less than 12 feet.

Was two under after four this morning and parred the rest of the way. A disappointing round.

The putts just wouldn't drop and then the May flies got me. Even the strong wind wouldn't blow them away. They particularly bothered me hitting irons and putting.

Oh well. Apparently there's nothing that can be done about them.

Semper Fi

My Club

Bob, 2 under 70 is nothing to sneeze at, nice round.

Played Honey Bee in VA Beach Saturday, was warm, but very windy. We played the tips for some reason, the three guys I am playing with are just really learning this Spring. they all shot in the 120s. This is a tough course and the wind really effected my shots. I have the driver dialed in all day, which has been my biggest weakness in the past 2 years. (dreaded slice)

Used the new See More Putter, and by the backside, I had it working. Shot a 93, which I was happy with, especially with the wind howling.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I am still waiting for my SeeMore to arrive. I need some putter love.

Good round, John, especially considering the rest of your foursome was in the 120s.

I seem to play up or down to the level of my competition. ;)

I do that in a lot of sports, especially Volleyball. Was glad I didn't fall into that trap. I am still happy about my progress, beginning of last Spring, I never broke 100, now I have been in the 80s 4 times since!!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Got out for 9 on a beautiful day. Made a solid up and down on #2 and birdied 6 by chipping in from 25 yards. The rest was pretty forgettable, but I didn't learn what the source of my recent iron problems have been - my knee. The fix is easy enough and I should be playing more consistent golf very soon.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Struggled on the front this morning. Three bogeys and two birdies for a 37.

Made a slight adjustment in my irons swing to finish more down the line and had 15 foot or less for birdie on 10 through 15 and only made one. Missed the green on 16 but saved par. Missed an 8 footer for birdie on 17 and scrambled for par on the difficult 18.

The result was even par 72 which should have been no more than 67 or 68. I was burning the edges but the putts wouldn't drop.

Semper Fi

My Club

Nice Bob, your right there. I have the same problem trying to finish down the line, and I have been working on that a lot, and it has been helping for sure. Bob, you play the Tips?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

No, John, I don't play the tips anymore.

I'm an old man who will be 72 in a couple of weeks and I just don't have the distance to enjoy the course at 7000 yards. I could play it and hit hybrid every second shot but what fun is that? Our course is lush and heavily watered resulting in no more than 10-20 yards rollout if that.

I play from 6100-6600 depending on who I am playing with, conditions etc. Ten years ago I averaged 275 off the tee. Now it's closer to 225.

Semper Fi

My Club

What driver you using, are you using a senior shaft also?

Taylor Made R9TP, 2009 edition with Fubuki 63 graphite in R. I also have a Fujikura Motore shaft in R. This is a notoriously short driver. I have a Bang MY Square driver with an A flex Aldila shaft and it is way too whippy.

My best driver is a Stulz with a 46 inch tri-edge graphite shaft firm flex and it is 20 yards longer than the R9 but i'm unable to keep it in the short grass at the moment.

I just switched from S flex steel in my irons to R flex Fujikura Motore graphite without picking up any distance. The clubs are lighter though and easier on my always troublesome back.

I was out of the game from 2001 to 2005 following rotator cuff and some other surgeries and injuries and just don't go after the ball as hard as I once did. Prior to the layoff I hit 8 iron from 155. Now that would be a 6.

The game is more difficult as you age and lose strength and quickness. No matter what you do it is inevitable.

I'm just happy to be able to play at a decent level. :)

Semper Fi

My Club

I played Aronimink Golf Club today, the site of the AT&T National later this summer in Philadelphia. The course was in beautiful condition and it was cool to see the base of the grandstands already in place around the 15th green. They added a new tee box on the ninth hole, some 40 yards back of the existing back tees which made the hole play 640 yards dead up hill, the only par 5 on the front, don't think anyone will be getting there in two. The rough was not overly long, but the ball sinks to the roots when you hit it in there. The greens were rolling very well and they are very undulating, was cool to imagine where pins may be set to really test the players.

What I took from the course for the tournament in July is that the players are going to need to hit the fairway in order to control the distance of their approach shots or they are going to end up with some ridiculous putts. The greens have steep run offs on most of them (big surprise from a Donald Ross design), which made for some difficult up and downs. At just over 7100 yards Par 70, I wouldn't be surprised to see the winning score not get to 10 under.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Shot 70 this morning with three birdies and a bogey on our heavily watered and lush golf course. I played from 6300 yards and had to wait on a few holes until the sprinklers went off.

I continue to be erratic with driver but my iron play is improving. I really like the new TM R9 irons with Fujikura Motore graphite shafts and no offset.

Semper Fi

My Club