Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Myrtle beach, all bad, bad scores, figured a lot of things out on the last 9, and shot a 41, the 59 on the front didn't help though

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I won my division in our Club Championship last weekend! Played the 49-Under Handicap Division. Played as an 8.0, which was the low handicap, and shot 80-79. Was 1 stroke back after the first day, but took the lead after 1 on the 2nd day, and held it, to win by 3.

It was the two best consecutive competitive rounds I've ever played. I've scored better before, but for the way the course was set up and the way I managed my rounds, it was the best. 80-79 with no lost balls, and nothing worse than a bogey (only 1 birdie).

I am absolutely THRILLED right now, although I may have partied a little too hard for a Sunday last night!

Nicely done Tyk!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

My last three rounds have been extremely frustrating (as I've ranted about on here). Yesterday I shot an 8 over 80 with four double bogies. The four doubles aren't what is frustrating though, it's my horrible putting and lack of confidence on the greens. On the other 14 holes I had birdie putts, with 6 of those being inside of 8 feet. I hit tow flagsticks from the fairway and couldn't even capitalize on those. My friend that I play with all the time (and who is a 1 handi) says "if you would get some damn confidence in your putter, you are going to be kicking my ass". It's really frustrating to be knocking down pins, but not being able to make the 6' birdie.

I practiced on the putting green for an hour before playing and was holing everything, including a couple 50 footers, but then I get on the course and fall apart. Ugh!

I got to play with A2G again today at Chalet Hills in Bufu, IL. Unlike last time, I brought a little bit of game with me. Shot a 10 over 83 which included 4 penalty shots incurred from the tee (the course, as Blaine will attest, can be borderline ridiculous off the tee) and many burned edges (including a birdie putt on 4 that was halfway down). I hit 6 GIR's, got up and down 5 times, and had 7 one-putts. My iron play was better than it's been all year, which was the biggest thing for me. As I said to Blaine, "It's like the fact that I practiced the last 2 days made me better." Something to think about...

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

put two wheels back on the bus today...

Snuck out for 9 and shot 45. Irons much better. New (mystery) putter almost immediately solid.

Driver pain and pleasure. Two OB tee balls bumped the score a bit.

Nice to be playing better and to give up wanting to sell all my gear on craigslist and take up bowling...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• 2 weeks later...

I got to play with A2G again today at Chalet Hills in Bufu, IL. Unlike last time, I brought a little bit of game with me. Shot a 10 over 83 which included 4 penalty shots incurred from the tee (the course, as Blaine will attest, can be borderline ridiculous off the tee) and many burned edges (including a birdie putt on 4 that was halfway down). I hit 6 GIR's, got up and down 5 times, and had 7 one-putts. My iron play was better than it's been all year, which was the biggest thing for me. As I said to Blaine, "It's like the fact that I practiced the last 2 days made me better." Something to think about...

Matt played GREAT. Any other course in this area and it would have been a round in the 70's. Iron play was solid and his putting was ridiculous. It was a sight to see.

As for me, I played Chalet at the behest of a friend although it's a course that doesn't suit my eye and quite honestly plays with my head. Many bad rounds there. This round was no different - shot a brutal 101 and uncharacteristically lost my cool and my confidence on the back nine. There was one nugget - nearly Eagled out on the Par 4 5th which is the #1 handicap hole. Pured a hybrid from 205 yards out to about six inches. Best shot of the year so far. This game drives you crazy sometimes.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Played today at Crystal Woods in Woodstock, IL with my friend Eric (who was supposed to join Matt and I at Chalet, but called into work instead). Righted the ship somewhat with a 86. Didn't putt well, but I hit my driver straight and my irons were very solid today. 10/13 fairways hit and 6 GIR's.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Matt played GREAT. Any other course in this area and it would have been a round in the 70's. Iron play was solid and his putting was ridiculous. It was a sight to see.

As for me, I played Chalet at the behest of a friend although it's a course that doesn't suit my eye and quite honestly plays with my head. Many bad rounds there. This round was no different - shot a brutal 101 and uncharacteristically lost my cool and my confidence on the back nine. There was one nugget - nearly Eagled out on the Par 4 5th which is the #1 handicap hole. Pured a hybrid from 205 yards out to about six inches. Best shot of the year so far. This game drives you crazy sometimes.

I hope you drained the birdie putt...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

There was one nugget - nearly Eagled out on the Par 4 5th which is the #1 handicap hole. Pured a hybrid from 205 yards out to about six inches. Best shot of the year so far. This game drives you crazy sometimes.

One of the best shots I've ever seen. Very fun to be there for that.

I got to play Saturday and Sunday...

Saturday at Redfield Golf and Country Club in Eugene, Missouri - 89, but my buddie had to buy at the 19th

Sunday at Sycamore Creek in Lake Ozark, Missouri - 88, but with a group of 16 and won one of the closest to the pin par 3s.

Great weekend of golf here in Central Missouri.

Just shot my best round of 9 ever... It was league night and I didn't have my driver since it at Golf Galaxy getting the shaft I won installed...

So I just decided that my 3 hybrid would have to do, and it was a great choice... I can hit my hybrid 210 yards and straight pretty consistantly, and I certainly did that today...

I doubled the first hole, par, double, double, par, double, par, bogey, birdie... 44...

I have never had more than 2 pars, and this was only my third birdie... I was crushing the ball, and hitting fairways like I didn't think was possible...

no 3 putts, although I left one par putt on the lip which I was pissed about...

And the best part was that I was using a Srixon Z-Star I found on the driving range before hand...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Good job mudfish! I've discovered that pulling the driver out of the bag occasionally really helps my game. It makes me more willing during a round to hit something other than driver off the tee and believe that I can score without it.

Our group plays a "3 Clubs and Putter" tournament every year, and its quite fun trying to figure out which clubs you're going to play. It never fails that several guys shoot thier best round of the year during this tournament, go figure!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Played a new local course today, Hilldale, in a continuing effort to find a home course that gives me a home course advantage. I think I've found it. 6400+ yards, very smooth (and sometimes very fast) greens, and lots of local knowledge to be had. With this being my first round, I didn't have that local knowledge and shot an 84 that ended with 2 double bogeys from pure fatigue (90+ degrees with tons of humidity). You really need to think your way around this course and hit your spots. You definitely won't pull driver on every hole, at least not without a long second thought, and I really like that.

Played today and it was the most miserable round ever. I shot an 80, didn't hit the ball bad, but the heat was ridiculous. It was 98 with a heat index of 120 add in that we had about 1,000,000% humidity and you can see why it was miserable. I had about 6 drives where I felt the club was going to fly farther than the ball. I couldn't see to putt, from all the sweat running into my eyes. It was just brutal. I literally thought I was gonna die on the 12th hole.

Played today and it was the most miserable round ever. I shot an 80, didn't hit the ball bad, but the heat was ridiculous. It was 98 with a heat index of 120 add in that we had about 1,000,000% humidity and you can see why it was miserable. I had about 6 drives where I felt the club was going to fly farther than the ball. I couldn't see to putt, from all the sweat running into my eyes. It was just brutal. I literally thought I was gonna die on the 12th hole.

it was terrible here on wednesday humidity was high i think are heat index was 100 not as bad as yours, it must have been terrible!

• SPY VIP

Played a 645am tee time this morning to beat the 103 heat. Flew through the round in about 4 hours which is about 1.5 hours faster than normal play for this course.

Still had a group up our butt the whole time just like normal. :lol:

Truly found that I can't play without tiring myself out with a small bucket on the range first. So tight and fast on the front nine then went 5 strokes lower on the back as I relaxed. OVerall score was still 94, but the circus that is my swing did show signs of improvement.

Stupid Vicino was still money. Upgraded to a large black iomic and just drained putts. I want it to suck for me so I can go back to a fancy brand putter, but the ball just keeps finding cup.

18 holes, no three putts. Go spider! B)

Volvo Intorqueo

Struggled all weekend. 84 on Saturday with FIVE (YES FIVE!!) 3 putts, which is unheard of for me. Putting woes continued on Sunday with 3 three putts and to top it off my tee ball decided to go left for the first 12 holes. Two lost balls ensued until I finally pulled my head out and finished with a very difficult and ugly 86.

Cup match tomorrow, hopefully I got THAT outta my system!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Interesting month for me. I have been somewhat distracted this season dealing with a tree that took out 30% of my house. However, I have followed by plan to focus on improvement via instruction and more practice versus playing. Went to see John Graham out in Rochester and Mike Jacobs down on Long Island. My wedge game and iron play reflect the effort. Unfortunately, the tree claimed both of my favorite drivers, and I have not had success replacing them.

I was fitted on a Trackman for a driver and ended up with an R-9 Superdeep with a 70g Fubuki stiff shaft. It is definitely more accurate, but I am really sacrificing distance and have lost what mediocre ability I had to work the ball. It is really frustrating to spend 1K on a damn club that does not perform. My next step is head up to Tark's this week and see if the K-Vest can detect something I can't see on the videos. Based on this weekend's play and league play last night, I can now change the handicap to 4. :lol:

Score: 77 (+5)

Course: Shadow Hills GC in Lubbock, Texas

I shot +1 on the back nine...with SIX BIRDIE OPPORTUNITIES. Didn't make a single one of them. 3 were within 10 feet. Looks like I found my new practice focus...

EDIT: This was my test round for my new [to me] Cleveland 588 54* wedge...best $19 I ever spent. Ever.

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

Score: 77 (+5)

Course: Shadow Hills GC in Lubbock, Texas

I shot +1 on the back nine...with SIX BIRDIE OPPORTUNITIES. Didn't make a single one of them. 3 were within 10 feet. Looks like I found my new practice focus...

EDIT: This was my test round for my new [to me] Cleveland 588 54* wedge...best $19 I ever spent. Ever.

Ouch, 0-fer on 3 under 10'? Great ballstriking, but that is what makes this game so frustrating. Next time out you might hack it around the course and drop six putts for the same score.

Went out and PURPOSELY played in the rain today. I have qualifying for the city tournament Saturday and there is a 60% of rain, so I figured I would get some practice in, because like most normal people, I don't usually play in the rain. It actually went pretty well after the first few holes. I started bogey-double bogey-bogey-bogey, then made 12 straight pars before finishing birdie-bogey, for a 5 over. If the conditions are the same Saturday as they were today, that will shoot the qualifying score up a little. The cut line is usually at 73-74, but bad weather usually pushes it back to a 76-77. I feel like I'm pretty prepared either way.

• SPY VIP

Went out and PURPOSELY played in the rain today. I have qualifying for the city tournament Saturday and there is a 60% of rain, so I figured I would get some practice in, because like most normal people, I don't usually play in the rain. It actually went pretty well after the first few holes. I started bogey-double bogey-bogey-bogey, then made 12 straight pars before finishing birdie-bogey, for a 5 over. If the conditions are the same Saturday as they were today, that will shoot the qualifying score up a little. The cut line is usually at 73-74, but bad weather usually pushes it back to a 76-77. I feel like I'm pretty prepared either way.

Good luck saturday. What kind of rain gear are you rocking to play in?

Volvo Intorqueo

Good luck saturday. What kind of rain gear are you rocking to play in?

Thanks. I actually don't have much. I have a Ping rain vest that is about 10 years old and Greg Norman wrinkle free dry-fit shorts. The shorts are awesome, the water just beads up and rolls off of them, plus I got them for $20 a pair at Sams Club. I always carry 2 extra pair of socks in my bag, so I'm covered there.

You guys actually have rain? I am starting to forget what it looks like. We are in the middle of a several month long drought, my lawn looks like, well, brown grass.

Anyway I shot an even par yesterday with 5 birdies, 3 bogeys, and 1 double. I was playing the forward tees though because of the people I was paired up with so my differential was 4.8.

You guys actually have rain? I am starting to forget what it looks like. We are in the middle of a several month long drought, me lawn looks like, well, brown grass.

Anyway I shot an even par yesterday with 5 birdies, 3 bogeys, and 1 double. I was playing the forward tees though because of the people I was paired up with so my differential was 4.8

We went through that, but it's been raining every other day for the last two weeks. It was so dry before, that I was hitting 360-380yd drives; I chunked a SW and it landed 30yds short of the green and bounce/rolled to 3 feet. I love playing firm fairways and soft greens.

And on your round, that looks like one of my scorecards. I have never shot under par in an entire round. I have shot -3 playing the front 9 one day and the back nine the next, but never 18 consecutive holes. Once I was -4 with 2 to play and I went double-double to finish at par, LOL. Mentally I'm a lot better than I was back then, but I don't hit the ball near as good, after suffering a fractured wrist.

Just got back from Door County, WI, and played a couple rounds at Peninsula State Park golf course. While the greens were dreadfully slow, the course was quite nice. While the course might seem short (about 6400 from the back tees), the total yardage only suffers because of a few short holes (including a very fun 70 yard par 3 that's straight down hill) and it plays like a course of 6600-6700 in my opinion. The first round was played with my wife, brother, and dad, so there was lots of scrambling to keep the less-experienced golfers from having a bad time, but it was still great fun. The second round was just my dad and I, and I shot an 82. It was one of those rounds that I could look at either way: on one hand I hit a number of good shots (and was playing in the rain), on the other hand it could have been sub-80 if I had checked a couple distances before teeing off and not lost a ball in the grass (I swear someone stole it!). Overall, a great trip, and I'm excited to be back home and working on my game.

Absolutely disgusted with myself. I had been hitting the ball better than ever going into city qualifying today and the pressure got to me and I fell apart. I had the worst pull hooks know to man today. I'm talking hitting my LW 30-40yds left of the green from 90-100 out. I hit 2 fairways (1 from bouncing off a tree) and 1..ONE..UNO effin green. Conditions were brutal today 99* with 80% humidity and a 15-20mph breeze that kept changing to be into our faces on every hole, so all I had to do was play decent. I just had the brain farts and couldn't get over it. I ended with a par from 20' on the 18th for an 87. The worst I had shot at this course in the last two years was a 79 and I thought I couldn't hit it any worse that day. I'm pretty sure I'll empty all the beer from the fridge tonight. Oh well, thats why I love golf, it's a new adventure every day.

I forgot to add that on my one solid shot of the day, I almost (20yds short) hit my 18* hybrid 300yds *tooting my own horn*. I was smoking everything, that was part of my problem.

Played in Douglas Wyo today for the first time. Nice course, very well maintained and very reasonable price ($38 with cart). I'd highly recommend it to anyone in the area. As far as the game went... UGH!! It took me 4 holes to quit hooking today (which I rarely ever do) and then I immediately started pushing everything 30* right!!! Straight as an arrow, but 30* right. AARRGGHH... finally at 8 & 9 I straightened things out and actually shot a couple good holes. LOL! Back 9 went much better, but was nothing to brag about. First time playing the course though, so I'll use that as my excuse. :lol:

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Absolutely disgusted with myself. I had been hitting the ball better than ever going into city qualifying today and the pressure got to me and I fell apart. I had the worst pull hooks know to man today. I'm talking hitting my LW 30-40yds left of the green from 90-100 out. I hit 2 fairways (1 from bouncing off a tree) and 1..ONE..UNO effin green. Conditions were brutal today 99* with 80% humidity and a 15-20mph breeze that kept changing to be into our faces on every hole, so all I had to do was play decent. I just had the brain farts and couldn't get over it. I ended with a par from 20' on the 18th for an 87. The worst I had shot at this course in the last two years was a 79 and I thought I couldn't hit it any worse that day. I'm pretty sure I'll empty all the beer from the fridge tonight. Oh well, thats why I love golf, it's a new adventure every day.

I forgot to add that on my one solid shot of the day, I almost (20yds short) hit my 18* hybrid 300yds *tooting my own horn*. I was smoking everything, that was part of my problem.

Yeah, I have days like that, you have my sympathies. Obviously you had some sort of major closed clubface happening. Do you play with a strong grip? I had to abandon mine (at the cost of several yards) for the same reason. Every now and then I would simply be all over the left side of the course regardless of any adjustments I would try. When I pull/pull hook a shot these days, it is more often because I fail to make an acceptable backswing pivot, get left way too soon and either have a major OTT movement , have a premature release (or both) and off to the trees we go.

Yeah, I have days like that, you have my sympathies. Obviously you had some sort of major closed clubface happening. Do you play with a strong grip? I had to abandon mine (at the cost of several yards) for the same reason. Every now and then I would simply be all over the left side of the course regardless of any adjustments I would try. When I pull/pull hook a shot these days, it is more often because I fail to make an acceptable backswing pivot, get left way too soon and either have a major OTT movement , have a premature release (or both) and off to the trees we go.

My grip is pretty neutral, maybe a little towards the strong side. It all started when I thinned the opening tee shot and it only went about 175, then thinned the second shot and was still 125yds out on the 440yd opening hole. I started standing up taller on all my shots and swinging around my body with a massive over the top swing. It started with nerves, then I just got in my own head.