TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

... If ya need a low round for your confidence, Cog Hill #1 is always at your disposal. $20 at twilight on July 4th ain't bad, so with the Mrs it only cost me $40. And we just about had the course to ourselves. That is a bargain in my book. As long as the greens are in decent shape, it is pretty easy to go low there. 

... Combined with a new Epic, that to my surprise is longer than I expected, I shot a 68. The first hole, in reality a long par 4 at 490 slowly downhill the entire way masquerading as a par 5 especially downwind, always makes for an easy start. Two really good shots is an opportunity for an eagle, two pretty good shots a birdie but you can even hit a few bad shots with the 200 yd wide opening fairway and still make par. Two holes in particular were key to my low round. Playing #11 I pulled my tee shot into the hazard on the left and had to drop. Hit a 195 yd 5 iron to about 6 feet and made the putt to save par. Learning nothing from the previous hole, I pulled my tee shot again on #12 (where I didn't even need to hit driver but I was on a honeymoon with my Epic) and was against a tree and could only chip backwards into the fairway. Hit a 95yd sw to a few inches and saved par again. Two holes that could have derailed my momentum and really helped me avoid a let down. To be honest I hit too many loose shots to card a 68 and the fact that the rating is 69.7 on a par71 track tells you all you need to know about the course difficulty, but it was still a fun afternoon.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Considering I am in the middle of a swing overhaul, I am pretty happy with my 81 today.  I had one triple, a double, and 1 birdie.  My putter was enfuego again, and really helped me with a ton of par saves from 8-15 feet.  There was a stretch of holes from 9-16 where I one putted every hole.  My ball striking is getting better as I learn to trust my new, more neutral grip and I only hook all day!

New M2 driver is continuing to impress me.  18 was playing slightly down hill, but also slightly down wind, and I still hit a towering drive that ended up over 310 yards.

Played Mallory Hill CC this morning early, 7:30. Had to get out early still hot and humid.

Shot a 79 short game was on, long game not so much. One double on the freakin 18 hole!! Had 130 in on 2nd shot, hit it fat 10 yards short but not a bad shot to hole....well I bladed a wedge and that was that.

Fun morning everyone played decently.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

New M2 driver is continuing to impress me.  18 was playing slightly down hill, but also slightly down wind, and I still hit a towering drive that ended up over 310 yards.

... I still get a chuckle from those that claim new drivers have been maxed out for years and there is no more yardage out there. I have found most drivers to be a trade off of 1) Distance 2) Trajectory 3) Spin and 4) Forgiveness. For many the SLDR was great for 1 and 2 with higher lofts as well as 3 but was challenged by 4. The Fly Z I played with great success for 3 years was awesome for 2 and 4 and pretty good with 1 but less than ideal for 3.  

... I just started playing an Epic 10.5* and so far it seems to be hitting on all 4 and it feels and sounds better than any driver I have hit since my McGregor M85's. I will need more rounds to make sure the results are repetitive but I may have found another 10+ yards that I can reproduce consistently and maybe even more occasionally, all in a forgiving head. Poo-pooing new technology is just short sighted because you can test everything new for several years or more with no better results and then an Epic or M2 comes along that really provides a performance boost. I hope the M2 continues to impress you. 

... I still get a chuckle from those that claim new drivers have been maxed out for years and there is no more yardage out there. I have found most drivers to be a trade off of 1) Distance 2) Trajectory 3) Spin and 4) Forgiveness. For many the SLDR was great for 1 and 2 with higher lofts as well as 3 but was challenged by 4. The Fly Z I played with great success for 3 years was awesome for 2 and 4 and pretty good with 1 but less than ideal for 3.  

... I just started playing an Epic 10.5* and so far it seems to be hitting on all 4 and it feels and sounds better than any driver I have hit since my McGregor M85's. I will need more rounds to make sure the results are repetitive but I may have found another 10+ yards that I can reproduce consistently and maybe even more occasionally, all in a forgiving head. Poo-pooing new technology is just short sighted because you can test everything new for several years or more with no better results and then an Epic or M2 comes along that really provides a performance boost. I hope the M2 continues to impress you. 

Typically I would agree with you...but there's no saying that an older driver which you may not have played also hits on all 4.... I'm not sure that it is the newer technology that makes a difference any more than it is different technology... within reason.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Thanks chisag - always love the insight you bring to this site.

What is funny is while I gained me a few yards on perfect strikes (slightly higher launch) from my 2016 M1 (which I was fit into) to the 2017 M2 (also fit into), the biggest changes has come on mishits.  The spin profile of the M2 better fits my toe miss - keeping the spin up and preventing the dreaded toe hook that I often got with my M1.  Eliminating the left side, better ball speed and spin retention on mishits, and a few more yards on perfect strikes due to optimized launch conditions? Sign me up every day and twice on Sundays.

Went for a quickie round this morning I took the cart out(I wish my course would allow Segway:)). Shot well 37-36. Much needed boost after the this heat. I think I finish by 8:30, took a shower and came to work early.

As for driver, it depends I guess. Between my brother and I we buy a few new ones to try out. I like both the m1 and m2 but found that it's not much longer than my 14* sldr or Cleveland custom classic. I also tried the 13.5* xr16. It has potential to be noticeably longer if I can dial it in.

Typically I would agree with you...but there's no saying that an older driver which you may not have played also hits on all 4.... I'm not sure that it is the newer technology that makes a difference any more than it is different technology... within reason.

... I go to the PGA Show and hit every new driver every year. (I missed this past year due to an injury). Technology is always improving. It is very rare for an older driver to hit on all 4 attributes, but of course possible for a given individual. For years low spin tour performing drivers had a lower loft because they were designed to keep the flight down. For those of us with a 95-105 mph swing and a "normal" trajectory, we could not launch the ball high enough to take advantage of the low spin heads, so we compromised with mid spin heads. Then the SLDR came along with up to 12* and even 14* lofts and we were hitting it higher with more roll and a better AOD even though carry was similar in normal conditions. But the forward CG made it less forgiving than higher spinning heads with the weight low and in the rear. 

... But OEMs learned from the success of the SLDR and began R&D for low spin heads with weight low and in the rear creating a new class of lower spin drivers that were also forgiving. I just don't think you will find an older driver with the forgiveness of the Epic/M2, the low spin and the higher trajectory. And as much as we feel technology is maxed out, there will be something in the future that we don't expect and it will make another leap in performance. Of course that performance won't be there for all, but a specific golfer can reap benefits that can mean a few yards in distance and dispersion. Now the argument can be made that the few extra yards and added forgiveness is not worth the difference between a new driver and their old driver, especially at $499. 

Thanks chisag - always love the insight you bring to this site.

What is funny is while I gained me a few yards on perfect strikes (slightly higher launch) from my 2016 M1 (which I was fit into) to the 2017 M2 (also fit into), the biggest changes has come on mishits.  The spin profile of the M2 better fits my toe miss - keeping the spin up and preventing the dreaded toe hook that I often got with my M1.  Eliminating the left side, better ball speed and spin retention on mishits, and a few more yards on perfect strikes due to optimized launch conditions? Sign me up every day and twice on Sundays.

... Thanks. The Fly Z did that for me several years ago, although spin was a little higher than ideal but mishits typically high and on the toe were almost as long and accurate as center hits and it really improved my driving because I felt free to just let it go and no longer tried to subconsciously steer any of my drives. So far, the Epic seems to be doing the same thing but with a much more ideal spin rate. 

... I go to the PGA Show and hit every new driver every year. (I missed this past year due to an injury). Technology is always improving. It is very rare for an older driver to hit on all 4 attributes, but of course possible for a given individual. For years low spin tour performing drivers had a lower loft because they were designed to keep the flight down. For those of us with a 95-105 mph swing and a "normal" trajectory, we could not launch the ball high enough to take advantage of the low spin heads, so we compromised with mid spin heads. Then the SLDR came along with up to 12* and even 14* lofts and we were hitting it higher with more roll and a better AOD even though carry was similar in normal conditions. But the forward CG made it less forgiving than higher spinning heads with the weight low and in the rear. 

... But OEMs learned from the success of the SLDR and began R&D for low spin heads with weight low and in the rear creating a new class of lower spin drivers that were also forgiving. I just don't think you will find an older driver with the forgiveness of the Epic/M2, the low spin and the higher trajectory. And as much as we feel technology is maxed out, there will be something in the future that we don't expect and it will make another leap in performance. Of course that performance won't be there for all, but a specific golfer can reap benefits that can mean a few yards in distance and dispersion. Now the argument can be made that the few extra yards and added forgiveness is not worth the difference between a new driver and their old driver, especially at $499. 

FWIW I think you are in the minority....  I don't know what the numbers say but my guess is that a lot of golfers just want to hit the ball straight and get it in the fairway.  If that is done with a g30 from 2 years ago or if it is done with a $500 newfangled-this-that-or-the-other then so be it.

To each their own but you won't find me paying $499 to get a few extra yards and a little bit more forgiveness...I don't do this for a living and don't ever make any money playing golf...

...but maybe I'm the one in the minority?   :o

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

FWIW I think you are in the minority....  I don't know what the numbers say but my guess is that a lot of golfers just want to hit the ball straight and get it in the fairway.  If that is done with a g30 from 2 years ago or if it is done with a $500 newfangled-this-that-or-the-other then so be it.

To each their own but you won't find me paying $499 to get a few extra yards and a little bit more forgiveness...I don't do this for a living and don't ever make any money playing golf...

...but maybe I'm the one in the minority?   :o

... I think you are definitely in the majority of golfers but probably the minority when it comes to equipment forum golfers. ;)

FWIW I think you are in the minority.... I don't know what the numbers say but my guess is that a lot of golfers just want to hit the ball straight and get it in the fairway. If that is done with a g30 from 2 years ago or if it is done with a $500 newfangled-this-that-or-the-other then so be it.

...but maybe I'm the one in the minority? :o

I don't think you're in the minority.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Despite a score approaching the big number of the current Mega Millions lottery (high triple digits) .. I actually played relatively decently today on a pretty tough course (at West Point, NY - now open to the public). There are almost no level areas anywhere so almost every non-tee shot is a .. sometimes severe .. uneven or sidehill lie.

Putting was wild - greens were ridiculously fast, especially for someone totally unused to it.... First putts just kept going and going and too many second putts weren't sharp enough so too many 3 putts.

But after a whole lot of crappy tee shots generally did ok at keeping the ball in play and heading towards the green, so guess I'm happy with that. Even had a few GIRs, including the shorter Par 3s, and a few Pars and came close to birdie'ing the closing hole.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Despite a score approaching the big number of the current Mega Millions lottery (high triple digits) .. I actually played relatively decently today on a pretty tough course (at West Point, NY - now open to the public). There are almost no level areas anywhere so almost every non-tee shot is a .. sometimes severe .. uneven or sidehill lie.

Putting was wild - greens were ridiculously fast, especially for someone totally unused to it.... First putts just kept going and going and too many second putts weren't sharp enough so too many 3 putts.

But after a whole lot of crappy tee shots generally did ok at keeping the ball in play and heading towards the green, so guess I'm happy with that. Even had a few GIRs, including the shorter Par 3s, and a few Pars and came close to birdie'ing the closing hole.

Three jacks score killer.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Shot 47 in the league tonight. Not to bad considering I had a 10 on a par 5 and tripled a stupid little 315 yard par 4. So that left me 3 over for the other 7 holes, which included a birdie and a few pars. If I could only eliminate that one (sometimes two) blow up holes.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm subbing again tomorrow night. Hope I don't have another 33 handicapper ☺️

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Shot 47 in the league tonight. Not to bad considering I had a 10 on a par 5 and tripled a stupid little 315 yard par 4. So that left me 3 over for the other 7 holes, which included a birdie and a few pars. If I could only eliminate that one (sometimes two) blow up holes.

It's usually 1 blowup hole per side for me. Always something stupid.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Three jacks score killer.

Oh yeah... That plus the THIRD attempt to get a ball in play off the tee....

(Helllloooooo, Mr. Mulligan!  ;)  ;)  ;) )

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Really struggled off the tee today, hitting lots of pull hooks. Irons were nice a crisp though.

43/44 = 87

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Really struggled off the tee today, hitting lots of pull hooks. Irons were nice a crisp though.

43/44 = 87

There's always something that works that keeps u coming back.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm subbing again tomorrow night. Hope I don't have another 33 handicapper ☺️

Ok, it was stormy, raining, and HUMID. I HAD NO CHANCE. Need to forget tonight and look to this Saturday for redemption. Ok, I'm I'm done feeling sorry for myself. 😉

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Ok, it was stormy, raining, and HUMID. I HAD NO CHANCE. Need to forget tonight and look to this Saturday for redemption. Ok, I'm I'm done feeling sorry for myself.

Don't worry outside of the rain and humidity it was a good night.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Today was typical of my year.  Par 70 course.  Shot 77 with 3 double bogeys and one 3 putt.  can't seem to get rid of those doubles in my rounds this year!

Jim, the retired GC Superintendent

Jim the retired Golf Course Superintendent

Today was typical of my year. Par 70 course. Shot 77 with 3 double bogeys and one 3 putt. can't seem to get rid of those doubles in my rounds this year!

Jim, the retired GC Superintendent

I don't mind bogies but sure hate those doubles........occasionally more!!

Still a good score.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played a charity tournament today at Middle Bay in the wind. Took to other good players and we shot 57 off of three balls in a scramble. It was good enough for a two shot win and got the long drive with a poke of 329 downwind. Overall a fun day and it was a good cause. Had to get a picture with Hollywood Henderson for my brother which just pained me as an Eagles fan.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Played a charity tournament today at Middle Bay in the wind. Took to other good players and we shot 57 off of three balls in a scramble. It was good enough for a two shot win and got the long drive with a poke of 329 downwind. Overall a fun day and it was a good cause. Had to get a picture with Hollywood Henderson for my brother which just pained me as an Eagles fan.

When I was working the company I worked at was big in local charities and attended just about all of them. I played in a ton of them thru the years and they were fun as long as u knew going in that would probably be slooowww. Winning the tournament makes it even better.

Congratulations on winning it!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Started before sunrise today at my brother's home course. Long, wide, half the greens are small but no water. Shot 32-36/ 68 whooh!

Took full advantage of the par 5s in the front. Once the sun hit, dang! it was hot and humid. Survived the back nine as the green was getting much faster quickly.

My wife and I played 9 holes after she got off work yesterday.  Hottest time of the day, 106 and humid!  I kept soaking my hat with the ice water on the course, but sweat was rolling off my brow into my eyes.  We caught a foursome on #4 and let a single join us on #5; young kid from Sweden that could hit it a mile, but struggled to find the fairway.  On #8 we let another single join us for the last 2 holes.  Young local that also hits it a mile; can't keep it in the fairway either.  I told them both that a study shows that when they get to be my age, they will hit it as short as me and they will be in the fairway.   :lol: I scrambled around in the heat to shoot +3.  Take that young'ens.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My wife and I played 9 holes after she got off work yesterday. Hottest time of the day, 106 and humid! I kept soaking my hat with the ice water on the course, but sweat was rolling off my brow into my eyes. We caught a foursome on #4 and let a single join us on #5; young kid from Sweden that could hit it a mile, but struggled to find the fairway. On #8 we let another single join us for the last 2 holes. Young local that also hits it a mile; can't keep it in the fairway either. I told them both that a study shows that when they get to be my age, they will hit it as short as me and they will be in the fairway. :lol: I scrambled around in the heat to shoot +3. Take that young'ens.

106!!! Better man than me. My fat butt ain't movin outside at that temperature.

Rick

Left Hand, 

My wife and I played 9 holes after she got off work yesterday. Hottest time of the day, 106 and humid! I kept soaking my hat with the ice water on the course, but sweat was rolling off my brow into my eyes. We caught a foursome on #4 and let a single join us on #5; young kid from Sweden that could hit it a mile, but struggled to find the fairway. On #8 we let another single join us for the last 2 holes. Young local that also hits it a mile; can't keep it in the fairway either. I told them both that a study shows that when they get to be my age, they will hit it as short as me and they will be in the fairway. I scrambled around in the heat to shoot +3. Take that young'ens.

Wife and I had a similar round recently, grouped with one younger and one older guy. Younger guy says he's practicing and his usual playing partners "make him" hit from the Blues. Needless to say every drive is over 300 but then only 1 .. out of 9 holes we played together .. was in the fairway (and that was a wide, straightaway one).......

Oh, yeah - and his short game needed some sharpening up, too.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg