Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Finally got out to play after much work traveling and such on Saturday. It was a scramble so I could ease back in. We finished -9 and won a skin. Felt great! Although the winning team had-15 and took the other 2skins.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

My solid play from last week continued today.  Missed greens are still causing too many bogies, but really happy with where my game is right now.  My biggest focus is just maintaining a consistent tempo from driver through putter. 

37-38=75

9 FW

13 GIR

33 Putts

1 birdie

3 bogeys

1 double

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My solid play from last week continued today.  Missed greens are still causing too many bogies, but really happy with where my game is right now.  My biggest focus is just maintaining a consistent tempo from driver through putter. 

37-38=75

9 FW

13 GIR

33 Putts

1 birdie

3 bogeys

1 double

It's funny how good tempo can fix a boat load of issues. Well done on your score!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Had the best round of 2017 so far 36/41 77

28 putts 9-1 putts

2 Far

10 GIR

2 birds

8 pars

7 bogs

1 bog +

Well done!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Had the best round of 2017 so far 36/41 77

28 putts 9-1 putts

2 Far

10 GIR

2 birds

8 pars

7 bogs

1 bog +

Atta boy!

Cleveland

It's funny how good tempo can fix a boat load of issues. Well done on your score!

For the past couple of rounds I have really tried to focus on tempo with every club.  I feel like it has helped my hit woods and irons more solidly and has really improved my distance control on putts.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Didn't play today but caddied for a friend at an event this morning. He's a 15 handicap. It was fun. He's playing against another 14 handicappers with a 5 handicapper on the bag. Both were playing well beyond their handicap shooting 40-41 in the front nine and 42-44 in the back, my guy lost 3-2, we played all the way to 18 but he had the time of his life.

I like it. I like giving a bit of advice on where to put the ball, club choices and breaking putts. My plan was to keep him calm and motivated. The plan was to choose a conservative target and hit it aggressively. I'll do it again for sure. Especially, when I don't have to carry the bag, we were riding.

A cool day today; overcast with a few rain drops here and there, and only got to 97*.  My wife and I played the first tee time after the Men's gangsome.  They are... not good.  We waited on every shot. Adjacent par 5's, they were in our fairway on both of them.

Except for two holes, I played pretty well. 42/38 for +8 round that included two doubles.  I hit good drives and had laser hybrids, best in quite awhile.  Highlight was a 3-inch tap-in birdie on #15 par 3 playing 167 yards.

Second good day in a row.  The temperature dropped 10* today; we teed off at 9:30 and I had to wear a sweatshirt; it was chilly.  The wind was up; steady about 15 mph.  The sweatshirt came off by #4 though when the sun came out from behind the clouds.  

We played with another couple that we play with regularly.  He was 0 for 14 in fairways hit.  I have to help look for his ball, but I find it distracting to my game.  However, I must have handled it OK, because I played a decent game.  I hit 10/14 fairways, but only 5 GIR.  It was a scrambling day; I was +2 on the front nine and +5 on the back nine for a 79.  I had 29 putts; one birdie.  Highlight was on the par 5 #18; I was in the bunker in front of the green in 3 shots with the pin in the back of the green about 40 feet away.  The bunker is about 6 feet below green level.  I covered 20 feet with the bunker shot and then 20 foot putt for par.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Second good day in a row. The temperature dropped 10* today; we teed off at 9:30 and I had to wear a sweatshirt; it was chilly. The wind was up; steady about 15 mph. The sweatshirt came off by #4 though when the sun came out from behind the clouds.

We played with another couple that we play with regularly. He was 0 for 14 in fairways hit. I have to help look for his ball, but I find it distracting to my game. However, I must have handled it OK, because I played a decent game. I hit 10/14 fairways, but only 5 GIR. It was a scrambling day; I was +2 on the front nine and +5 on the back nine for a 79. I had 29 putts; one birdie. Highlight was on the par 5 #18; I was in the bunker in front of the green in 3 shots with the pin in the back of the green about 40 feet away. The bunker is about 6 feet below green level. I covered 20 feet with the bunker shot and then 20 foot putt for par.

No (near-) Aces today? ;)

Interesting you felt distracted yet overall played well.....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

My quest to make par, I learned and planned how,to make bogey on every holes of my home course. Some of the holes is just ridiculous because it was short and easy and some of the difficult holes feel much easier with one extra stroke. Then I went out and played exactly what I planned I ended making a lot less bogeys than plan and more pars, only one birdie because by the time I get to the geeen I used most a few strokes already. I was making conservative decisions with aggressive swing which yield good result.

Most golfers plan their shots to make regulation on each holes that's the same standard as tour pros and low handicap. Sure enough most fell a little shy of perfection trying to save the shot with bold decisions with tentative swing worst combination and ended up with really poor results.

If I learned this earlier then I'd move to lower bracket much sooner, so learn from mine and many others who's suffered the same problem.

Rusty, that sounds like a really smart strategy! I do think about it on the course but do not execute well on it.... Gonna work on that, eg. Plan an extra shot from tee to green. Thx.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Didn't play today but caddied for a friend at an event this morning. He's a 15 handicap. It was fun. He's playing against another 14 handicappers with a 5 handicapper on the bag. Both were playing well beyond their handicap shooting 40-41 in the front nine and 42-44 in the back, my guy lost 3-2, we played all the way to 18 but he had the time of his life.

I like it. I like giving a bit of advice on where to put the ball, club choices and breaking putts. My plan was to keep him calm and motivated. The plan was to choose a conservative target and hit it aggressively. I'll do it again for sure. Especially, when I don't have to carry the bag, we were riding.

I'm with you on that Rusty. I remember when I was a senior in high school I was the #1 on the team, but I never played with our #2 in a foursome.  I always went out in matches with the younger guys and helped them with reads and club selection so that they could score well and just kept them loose. I had more fun doing that than competing against the #1's on most other teams.

Also, I think it helps you as a player too. Caddying a round or two gets you thinking about how to tackle a course in a different way than you normally would.

Also, an update from me. Played 9 this weekend at my home course, shot +1, 36. Made two birdies to counter one double. Stripe show off the tee and made some putts for the first time in a while. In all, felt good. Also, as an update to an earlier post, I'm back playing with the team from Dick's for this charity tournament. DWI guy is out, and I'm in. I didn't want to be in, but getting this charity the full donation amount from a team playing (as without me the team wouldn't play) is more important to me than the personal slights. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

unexpectedly played 3 days in a row last week Fri/Sat/Sun... hit some good shots but too many bad ones.

This game can be so frustrating... it is so easy to overthink things vs just executing.... while at the same time you need to think about things.

What I mean by that is you have to think about your lie and the hazards around the green and consider the worst case scenario and try to take a 'big' number out of play.

On a par 5, 3rd shot, I had 137 to a back right pin with bunkers left and right and woods behind.  Instead of hitting a wedge to 20 feet or so and 2-putting for par I went right at it, hit the ball a little thin, flew the green and ended up with a 7.

That was dumb - that's where I really should think about things.

Where I should not think about things is when I'm standing over the ball getting ready to swing.

It is a very noticeable difference.

something to build on.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Played front 9, had enough as still not feeling well and course got 1" rain overnight. The ponds were full already so everything was sloopy. Shot an unimpressive 44 but the bright side is I was long on a few shots with the new Ping G400 irons.

I'm going to do a little write up in them on the G400 thread.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

No (near-) Aces today? ;)

Interesting you felt distracted yet overall played well.....

I have always felt distracted looking for someone else's ball.  In the past it has literally ruined my round.  I'm working on it.  The more relaxed and fun the round is, the better I handle it.  I am trying to channel that feeling into all my rounds.  

No... no near aces!  However, on that same hole, the gal that played with us hit her tee shot to about 3 feet... from the same tee box... pin was up yesterday to 150 and she hit an iron dead into the wind.  Of course, she is 20 years younger than me and played junior hockey as a kid.  She spent 2 years in Austria taking lessons and playing golf while her husband worked.

EDIT:  He should have taken more lessons too!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have always felt distracted looking for someone else's ball. In the past it has literally ruined my round. I'm working on it. The more relaxed and fun the round is, the better I handle it. I am trying to channel that feeling into all my rounds.

This is something I think we all can work on. Not necessarily the looking for balls aspect nut switching in and out of game mode during a round. We see this on the tour level when a rules official is called, when we help find someone else's ball, run into some slow play, or hit a bad shot. Work on getting into game mode after you pull your club and relax when you put the club back into the bag. Enjoy the company of your playing partners or the world around you, basically anything but your round when you are not preparing to hit your shot. Personality will drive you ability to do this but it keeps you from having to maintain that rhythm for the entire round.

This is something I think we all can work on. Not necessarily the looking for balls aspect nut switching in and out of game mode during a round. We see this on the tour level when a rules official is called, when we help find someone else's ball, run into some slow play, or hit a bad shot. Work on getting into game mode after you pull your club and relax when you put the club back into the bag. Enjoy the company of your playing partners or the world around you, basically anything but your round when you are not preparing to hit your shot. Personality will drive you ability to do this but it keeps you from having to maintain that rhythm for the entire round.

I think it was Annika that said she imagined a 6x6 square around her ball and if she wasn't in the box, she wasn't thinking about golf

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yes! Played 36 holes and 76 for both. One round I hit 8/14 fairways and 9/18 gir. Was striking really good and was putting for eagle on 3 of the par 5's. Made 1. Super pumped this streak continues as the club championship is 2 weeks away

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Game mode vs Relax mode .. excellent!! Another great playing tip from MGSers!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Today was the absolute worst ball striking day of 2017 for me. Sooooo pitiful however tomorrow is a new day and I plan to kick some butt tomorrow in our blitz. My golf game never showed up at all today and it was down right ugly however my good buddies and sweet wife helped ease the pain.   I had four doubles however those was pickups so the 87 I shot was not a true score.  Fricking gawd awful golfing  :angry:

Cleveland

Had another 48/+13 for 9 today, with a bunch of bad ball striking .. and with 1 Mulligan which was worth it as I nailed the second try .. but mostly decent enough scrambling and putting to make up for it.

3 Pars (ok!)

1 Bogey (expecting, I guess, or "hoping" maybe? to make more of these vs Doubles and worse....)

3 Doubles (ewww)

2 Triples (ouch!!)

Triples were on...

#2, a straight forward Par 4 where my tee shot went way long and waaaaay left. Had the second shot lined up, looked like it went the right distance but pulled it left .. when I got up there - no ball to found anywhere...! So I just dropped off the green and added 2.

#9, a short Par 3 with a short water carry in front of the teeing ground, and yep -- splashed the first tee shot... Second tee shot went wide right so still had to chip up.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Had another 48/+13 for 9 today, with a bunch of bad ball striking .. and with 1 Mulligan which was worth it as I nailed the second try .. but mostly decent enough scrambling and putting to make up for it.

3 Pars (ok!)

1 Bogey (expecting, I guess, or "hoping" maybe? to make more of these vs Doubles and worse....)

3 Doubles (ewww)

2 Triples (ouch!!)

Triples were on...

#2, a straight forward Par 4 where my tee shot went way long and waaaaay left. Had the second shot lined up, looked like it went the right distance but pulled it left .. when I got up there - no ball to found anywhere...! So I just dropped off the green and added 2.

#9, a short Par 3 with a short water carry in front of the teeing ground, and yep -- splashed the first tee shot... Second tee shot went wide right so still had to chip up.

Well, looky at them pars!!  I want another par and no triples next time, or drop and give me 10.

I got a late start today so I missed the guys teeing off at 9:30.  I have been playing pretty well the last few days, and I wanted to see if I could continue the good play while walking 18.  I haven't walked in over a month!!  I caught up with them on #7 tee which is visible from the clubhouse.  No warmup, not even putting.  I parred 7 and 8; bogeyed 9.  Then played the back nine in +1; couldn't get up and down on the par 3 #12.  I hope this play continues; I'm loving it!!   B)

Today was the absolute worst ball striking day of 2017 for me. Sooooo pitiful however tomorrow is a new day and I plan to kick some butt tomorrow in our blitz. My golf game never showed up at all today and it was down right ugly however my good buddies and sweet wife helped ease the pain. I had four doubles however those was pickups so the 87 I shot was not a true score. Fricking gawd awful golfing :angry:

There's always tomorrow!

Rick

Left Hand, 

There's always tomorrow!

Absolutely and tomorrow is money making day so I'm not going to let this poor play linger.  In fact if I had shot a solid round today, tomorrow would have been tough to repeat. Now I have no where to go but up! 

Cleveland

Well, looky at them pars!! I want another par and no triples next time, or drop and give me 10.

Sir, YESSIR!!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

So I was able to squeeze 9 in this afternoon. Hole#6 a long par 5 hopefully a bright note after my initial 20+putt on #1 for bogey, and ensuing ugliness. Hit the driver almost topped and the ball flies 10ft off the ground and bounces right into a tree root. Unplayable and a stroke. Second (3rd) shot plinko style across the fairway against a fence. Unplayable and a stroke. Now only 150 to the pin and in the tall stuff. CHUNK, and I end up short and to the right. Chip, then 2 putt. Next hole par 3 over water. Hit to within 8ft. Yeah! NO, 2 putt. I SO LOVE THIS GAME, I'd do it all over again.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

So I was able to squeeze 9 in this afternoon. Hole#6 a long par 5 hopefully a bright note after my initial 20+putt on #1 for bogey, and ensuing ugliness. Hit the driver almost topped and the ball flies 10ft off the ground and bounces right into a tree root. Unplayable and a stroke. Second (3rd) shot plinko style across the fairway against a fence. Unplayable and a stroke. Now only 150 to the pin and in the tall stuff. CHUNK, and I end up short and to the right. Chip, then 2 putt. Next hole par 3 over water. Hit to within 8ft. Yeah! NO, 2 putt. I SO LOVE THIS GAME, I'd do it all over again.

Love it!!

Great attitude man!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played so poorly today that I stopped after 7 and went to the driving range. No sense getting too upset over the game.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Shot a 79 Sunday morning. 79 or better is the goal every time I play, but this one felt like it should have been a 74; I must have missed 3 birdie putts inside 10 feet. However, we teed off at 6:30 am and played 18 holes in about 3 hours and it was an unusually cool August morning so that was good.

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2