Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

I mentioned this in the Master's thread. Had a great day on the course today. Tee'd off at 3, shot 37 on the front grabbed a Bloody Mary at the turn shot 39 coming in and watched the Masters on the back in between shots. Walked off the course at 558. First round with the G30's - huge potential there. Half a club longer with the 7 and closer to a full club longer with the 6 iron - just what I needed to bridge the gap to the hybrid.

It was nice to get away from Bayou - I hit 12 irons today verses 8 or 9 there.

Didn't drive it especially well. I have some work to do there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Well done!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Was in Arizona for the weekend with two tee times set up and one goal: Break 100. After a 51 on the front last Thursday I played the back-9 to a +5 and finished at 92. Followed it up with a 94 on Saturday. 

Finally got some consistency with my 3w and just bagged the driver---which is a lot easier to do when your 3w is going 40+ yards longer due to the dry Arizona air and the firm, gorgerous, fariways (Comapred to getting plugged in the soggy Jersey fairways of March, lol). 

Can now say comfortably that I 'shoot in the 90's' and my next goal is that 89! 

:mizuno-small: ST 180 Driver & 3W

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4i-GW

:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges

The same putter I used since I was 12 years old

#TrustTheProcess 

Played in a 4-man scramble this past Saturday. Temperature was 40 with about a 10 mph wind, so the wind chill was about 35 the whole time we were playing.  It was absolutely miserable, but we got 2nd place. I couldn't feel my hands after about the second hole.  I guess we had a little bit of fun, but it's not something I plan on doing again.  I usually wait until it's at least 50 outside before I get to the course, which most of the time it is here.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Played four rounds in Pinehurst over the weekend.   Overall play ranged from horrible to ok, I guess I mildly suck and it's early in the season, so there is hope.

Of course i decided that 4 rounds in Pinehurst on two of the toughest courses in the country and two more I have never played would be the appropriate time to put new irons in play with having just a quick rushed 9 holes with them two days earlier.   

The first day with them as you would have expected, I had no feel for them and made some horrible shots, somehow shot just a few strokes over my index at 98 for the first round.

Second round was just a disaster, there's no other way to put it.  It was the 2nd end of 36 holes that day, so fatigue was real, in addition I got dehydrated during the round an almost got physically ill, I got to the point where I was barely hitting a 5 iron 120 yards.  So I ended up not even keeping score that round and even picked up on some holes and sat out a hole here or there in order not to fall over dead.

Third round was much better from the irons striking phase, hit some really quality shots but driver was balky,  had several penalty shots off the tee which did me in and is very unusual for me these days.  had two blow up holes and ended up with 102 on that round.  Would have been low 90's probably without the penalty strokes. 

Fourth and final round, the soreness was real.   Tee'd off in 36 degree weather with 10 to 15 mph winds.....Was this really southern NC we were in, felt a lot like Maryland in February  :o

Made a driver switch for today's final round, back to the 400 Max.  Game got off to a slow start, on the first hole that took a few holes to recover from.  Found a nice little groove in the middle of the round with some pars and even two legit birdie attempts, that I couldn't convert on.   Then just flat out ran out of gas on the final 3 holes and had number so big they hardly fit in the square on the card.   108 was the ugly result here.   But oddly enough I left feeling good about my driver switch and the new irons.   Now 4 rounds in I was getting a much better feel for them, and seeing the numbers I did when demoing. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Played four rounds in Pinehurst over the weekend. Overall play ranged from horrible to ok, I guess I mildly suck and it's early in the season, so there is hope.

Of course i decided that 4 rounds in Pinehurst on two of the toughest courses in the country and two more I have never played would be the appropriate time to put new irons in play with having just a quick rushed 9 holes with them two days earlier.

The first day with them as you would have expected, I had no feel for them and made some horrible shots, somehow shot just a few strokes over my index at 98 for the first round.

Second round was just a disaster, there's no other way to put it. It was the 2nd end of 36 holes that day, so fatigue was real, in addition I got dehydrated during the round an almost got physically ill, I got to the point where I was barely hitting a 5 iron 120 yards. So I ended up not even keeping score that round and even picked up on some holes and sat out a hole here or there in order not to fall over dead.

Third round was much better from the irons striking phase, hit some really quality shots but driver was balky, had several penalty shots off the tee which did me in and is very unusual for me these days. had two blow up holes and ended up with 102 on that round. Would have been low 90's probably without the penalty strokes.

Fourth and final round, the soreness was real. Tee'd off in 36 degree weather with 10 to 15 mph winds.....Was this really southern NC we were in, felt a lot like Maryland in February :o

Made a driver switch for today's final round, back to the 400 Max. Game got off to a slow start, on the first hole that took a few holes to recover from. Found a nice little groove in the middle of the round with some pars and even two legit birdie attempts, that I couldn't convert on. Then just flat out ran out of gas on the final 3 holes and had number so big they hardly fit in the square on the card. 108 was the ugly result here. But oddly enough I left feeling good about my driver switch and the new irons. Now 4 rounds in I was getting a much better feel for them, and seeing the numbers I did when demoing.

Wow, Pinehurst yea, getting sick not good. At least U finished OK. Spring is coming, 18 holes is enough

Rick

Left Hand, 

Early start 7:30 but overnight rain made it pretty sloppy. Showed in the score 42-44=86. Don't feel bad about it as conditions were not very good. Greens slloooww

Rick

Left Hand, 

Hitting the ball off the tee pretty good, my new irons though, I haven't been able to get them in to be bent, I'm doing it this week, I'm striking the ball well, but everything is a fade, I can't get them to draw at all which is ok but they fade too much, They are just too flat, 2.5 degrees flatter than my other irons. I am putting much better, but my chipping feels are gone. I shot 42 on the front in the rain on Saturday, and every shot was from 10 yards and in. I'm just not getting up and down at all. It's early so that will come around. We didn't really keepnscore on the back as it really rained hard, but we were already soaking wet, and there was no point in stopping.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Staying home, 2” rain by 5:30 am and not letting up. 8 th hole in back of my house has another shallow pond in fareway

Rick

Left Hand, 

Good round today. 44 + 40 = 84. It felt much worst however I finished strong with 3 / 3 / 3 par / birdie / birdie ! I won $30.00 in our blitz today at +5 (points) 🏌️⛳️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Having a bit of a mental dilemma...

I hit the ball far enough with my long irons to hang with my buddies drivers and my 3w out drives them all. My driver can carry 300 but it's wildly inaccurate---away from the simulator. When I work out in the simulator and get to groove a driver swing I get these gorgeous baby draws that can reach 315. The problem is it isn't carrying over to the course yet. Yesterday was my fourth round out and it was the first time I really focused on hitting the 3w in most driveable holes.

So... Knowing I have the potential to have a major weapon in my driver---do I sacrifice scoring over the next few months to really work on my driving accuracy---or do I just keep the driver in the bag except for the 1-2 really open holes per round? My gut says continuing with my driver will help me get to my potential quicker---but it will be a bumpy ride. My competitive nature tells me to bag the driver until I am really confident with it and keep working with teh 3w off the tee as, right now, it gives me the best chance to score well in teh short term?

I say bag the driver until you feel confident in it especially if your 3W is plenty long enough with control on the courses you play. I think your competitive nature will agree especially if you don't get yourself in trouble off the tee and end up putting for bird and eagles instead of pars, bogeys or worse.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Guys my goal for the past 2 seasons has been to break 85. I am playing to a 17 right now so I consistently shoot in the upper 80s low 90s. I have been putting in the extra work and focusing on the tee box and 100 and in. I walked 18 today and shot an 83!!! I played boring/smart golf and got it done. I am so happy. Its one of those things that you work really hard at and you keep falling short but then it finally happens and you feel so rewarded.

I got my putter cut an inch and regripped yesterday with a Superstroke Flatso 2.0. I also put the Cobra F8 in the bag after being fitted for it yesterday. I honestly feel like those two tweaks helped this happen. I had several drives over 300 today. I am very excited to track the data on these two clubs and see what happens over the next couple of weeks after I get a few more rounds in. I am loving the Cobra Connect feature of the F8 as well.

Today was a good day. Old Fashions will be had late into the night. Cheers fellas.

IMG_1304.PNG

IMG_1303.PNG

fullsizeoutput_217d.jpeg

Congrats man! Way to go!!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Played 9 last night on a course Ive only played once. It waa more of a meet and greet fir a Wednesdsay night league. My first round in over two weeks thanks to getting sick...stil hanging on. 45 thanks to a triple to start and a double. Other then those two holes I waa pleased. Driving has improved but short game needs work.

Played 18 today as rain is coming back so I put off house painting until tomorrow. Rain started on my approach on 9 then was off and on the next 9. Had to hide under trees a few times. Shot 83 with one OB off the tee. Sometimes I think I forget to swing the dang club and I got lazy and left one out right. Played well but short game again. My new Winn Dri Tacs are wondeful in the rain. Best grip Ive ever used when wet by far. I doubt I get a full year out of a few of them, but thats oksy as I will be sporting new irons come Christmas. Merry Christmas to me.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Congrats man! Way to go!!

MDGolfHacker

You'll be around 80 in no time

Rick

Left Hand, 

Good round today. 44 + 40 = 84. It felt much worst however I finished strong with 3 / 3 / 3 par / birdie / birdie ! I won $30.00 in our blitz today at +5 (points) ⛳

Good strong round Gray!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Ugh

Played a track I haven't played for years and shot my worst score in recent memory.

46/45 = 91

Disclaimer- I injured my right arm/elbow a few days ago in a losing battle with my sewer snake, trying to pull it out of the lateral line. It got a nasty rootball and stuck something serious.

I pulled with all my might and did something to my arm. I thought I could play through it, but it affected my swing a bit (whining session over)

Anyways, my playing partner whom I'm usually evenly matched with blew out a 75 though, but he was playing good.

Anyways, this track is called Rustic Canyon and it was a links style track, and it was beautiful.

The greens were brutal, fast (12+), and heavily undulated. I mean fast, did I say that?

Anyways, a tough day for me for sure, but a great track.

I'll be on the shelf for a few weeks at least while my arm comes back to life.

Getting old is hard on a body...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

In between jobs and having a week of Funemployment, I just wish the weather was more traditional April weather here in MD. Played the last 2 days and it's bad. Putted well Tuesday and played today on greens that were MUCH quicker and I'm just not used to it. 18 holds later every putt either went 10 feet by or 5 feet short. Made 1 birdie and if I hadn't hit the hole, the ball would still be rolling. 1 more round tomorrow.

:taylormade-small: R15 10.5 aldila Rogue Silver 60S
:callaway-logo-1: XR 16 3W
:mizuno-small: JPX 825 3H 19°
:taylormade-small: RSi1 irons 4-AW
:callaway-logo-1: MD3 54°
:mizuno-small:  S5 58°
:cameron-small:  X7M

This morning was sunny & windy typical FL. 40-43=83. I ran out of gas back 9 and putting was atrocious. I know big word for old guy but the putter was definitely DOA. Always Friday

Rick

Left Hand, 

Seems like my game is starting to turn around. Shot a 82 (40+42) with two doubles. Both of which were caused by blading a wedge over the green and ending up under a tree. Also left a two birdie putts an inch or two short.

I don't know what's changed, maybe getting my irons fixed brought some confidence back to the rest of my game. Whatever it is I hope it hangs around for a few more rounds.

Going to work on my short game some. The blades were caused by looking up mid swing so at least I can fix that.

Hope everyone here is improving as well, it at least is having fun outdoors.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ugh

Played a track I haven't played for years and shot my worst score in recent memory.

46/45 = 91

Disclaimer- I injured my right arm/elbow a few days ago in a losing battle with my sewer snake, trying to pull it out of the lateral line. It got a nasty rootball and stuck something serious.

I pulled with all my might and did something to my arm. I thought I could play through it, but it affected my swing a bit (whining session over)

Anyways, my playing partner whom I'm usually evenly matched with blew out a 75 though, but he was playing good.

Anyways, this track is called Rustic Canyon and it was a links style track, and it was beautiful.

The greens were brutal, fast (12+), and heavily undulated. I mean fast, did I say that?

... I love Rustic Canyon although it takes awhile to figure out those greens. And even then, a few of them are very severe, like 13, 15 and 17. 

... This should be an eye opener for all of us getting up there in age, especially ex athletes that played thru pain and injury in our youth. I had some shoulder pain in the fall of 2016 and played thru it. Turns out it was a torn labrum and it resulted in a frozen shoulder that took 12 months to overcome. Had I stopped, gone to a Ortho and started rehab immediately it would have been much less severe. NEVER play thru pain after 40. After 60 you are an idiot as my post explains. Lesson learned. Good luck with your recovery!  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Ugh

46/45 = 91

Take care, get yourself fixed up B4 going out again.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played my 3rd round this week and it was by far my best (which isn't saying much) still not used to greens that roll this fast. I only hit a handful of bad shots but got to play with some good company so it was good. 98 today and easily could have been 90 or sub 90. 3 putt bogeys are round killers.

:taylormade-small: R15 10.5 aldila Rogue Silver 60S
:callaway-logo-1: XR 16 3W
:mizuno-small: JPX 825 3H 19°
:taylormade-small: RSi1 irons 4-AW
:callaway-logo-1: MD3 54°
:mizuno-small:  S5 58°
:cameron-small:  X7M

Shot 94 today

My driver left the building and never showed back up. Oh well, I have a driver fitting Monday at Club Champion! 🏌️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Shot 94 today

My driver left the building and never showed back up. Oh well, I have a driver fitting Monday at Club Champion! 🏌️

Been there....

Rick

Left Hand, 

Got 9 in after work.

14 putts

1 bird

1 par

7 bogs

2 fairways

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I got out yesterday evening.  Shot 72.  Not bad for the first round of the year.  The new M4 was simply awesome.  Hit one poor shot with it but still made par.  I am really looking forward to Spring and Summer.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Played early this morning, we were a twosome. Skipped the Bacon Friday Boys.

Played 2 balls per hole, Pro V1 & Snell Red. Results in Stage 2.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played 36 today.. 8:20 and 12:50. What a day, ended with a 84 and 83. driver felt good as did the putter. Had issues with the longer irons which really screwed me. I was on a nice run in the beginning though where it was driver wedge every hole. Then came the long par 3 anddd no bueno

I got out yesterday evening.  Shot 72.  Not bad for the first round of the year.  The new M4 was simply awesome.  Hit one poor shot with it but still made par.  I am really looking forward to Spring and Summer.

Nice work out there!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers