Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Late last season I decided to completely reinvent my swing and my game.  I'm not getting any younger and I figured I'd gone as far as I could go (10ish HDCP) with my homemade swing.   So I watched a ton of video, went out west and hit about 1500 balls in two weeks in the dome in Calgary, a few hundred more back home here in Windsor and was ready to take on the world.  I headed out to one of the best conditioned courses in the area after work on Monday.  Sunny and just warm enough for shorts but a little on the breezy side with little shelter from the wind on a mostly links style layout.  I hit the ball really, really well.  Shots that would normally intimidate me I actually pulled off.    It took me about 13 holes to realize I could actually start playing some of the shots I practiced all winter.  I stepped up to the 4th (played the back first) tee after trying to hit high draws all round and was faced with a large tree bascially in the middle of the fairway and no way around it with a draw and too high to go over.  I said to myself, "wait a minute, you know how to hit a controlled fade now", and a lightbulb went on.  I aimed for the right edge of the fairway and just like clockwork, put a baby fade out there, which the wind carried back to the middle of the fairway.  Lightbulb now fully one, I went to the next tee, and the flag was left centre on a par 3.  I was so enamoured with my little fade I started the ball out about 10 feet right of the green and faded it back to the left of the flag about 10 feet away.  Hole 9 same thing.   Hit a little fade out to the left centre and a wedge in.  

I've never been so excited after a round to be honest.  The first 12 holes or so I still had my old mindset, playing away from trouble at all costs because I didn't have the confidence to pull off the ideal shot or the confidence to recover if I mishit it.  I got a ton of bad breaks on the front, 4 or 5 shots that if they were a foot this way or that would have been brilliant.  Still ended up ok but playing from more difficult lies or from farther back than I wanted.   I had the draw mindset off the tee even when a fade was the best shot.  I shot an 82 which I've never done at the beginning of the season, usually mid to high 80's with a handful of bad shots.  I can't wait to get back out this weekend and shape some more shots!  I'm absolutely brimming with confidence and running entire rounds through my head for all the courses I usually play!

Yesterday, I played in an outing with one of my senior associations.   While we played from the senior tees (where we belong), I shot an 86 which is good for me and encouraging for the coming season.   Accordingly, I am going to schedule a session with my instructor and set a goal of having a couple of rounds in the high 70s and routinely shoot in the low 80s from senior tees during the year.   Hopefully, I am not violating the need to know my limitations.  

Late last season I decided to completely reinvent my swing and my game. I'm not getting any younger and I figured I'd gone as far as I could go (10ish HDCP) with my homemade swing. So I watched a ton of video, went out west and hit about 1500 balls in two weeks in the dome in Calgary, a few hundred more back home here in Windsor and was ready to take on the world. I headed out to one of the best conditioned courses in the area after work on Monday. Sunny and just warm enough for shorts but a little on the breezy side with little shelter from the wind on a mostly links style layout. I hit the ball really, really well. Shots that would normally intimidate me I actually pulled off. It took me about 13 holes to realize I could actually start playing some of the shots I practiced all winter. I stepped up to the 4th (played the back first) tee after trying to hit high draws all round and was faced with a large tree bascially in the middle of the fairway and no way around it with a draw and too high to go over. I said to myself, "wait a minute, you know how to hit a controlled fade now", and a lightbulb went on. I aimed for the right edge of the fairway and just like clockwork, put a baby fade out there, which the wind carried back to the middle of the fairway. Lightbulb now fully one, I went to the next tee, and the flag was left centre on a par 3. I was so enamoured with my little fade I started the ball out about 10 feet right of the green and faded it back to the left of the flag about 10 feet away. Hole 9 same thing. Hit a little fade out to the left centre and a wedge in.

I've never been so excited after a round to be honest. The first 12 holes or so I still had my old mindset, playing away from trouble at all costs because I didn't have the confidence to pull off the ideal shot or the confidence to recover if I mishit it. I got a ton of bad breaks on the front, 4 or 5 shots that if they were a foot this way or that would have been brilliant. Still ended up ok but playing from more difficult lies or from farther back than I wanted. I had the draw mindset off the tee even when a fade was the best shot. I shot an 82 which I've never done at the beginning of the season, usually mid to high 80's with a handful of bad shots. I can't wait to get back out this weekend and shape some more shots! I'm absolutely brimming with confidence and running entire rounds through my head for all the courses I usually play!

Way to go!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Yesterday, I played in an outing with one of my senior associations. While we played from the senior tees (where we belong), I shot an 86 which is good for me and encouraging for the coming season. Accordingly, I am going to schedule a session with my instructor and set a goal of having a couple of rounds in the high 70s and routinely shoot in the low 80s from senior tees during the year. Hopefully, I am not violating the need to know my limitations.

I know you got this in you TheWahoo!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Yesterday, I played in an outing with one of my senior associations. While we played from the senior tees (where we belong), I shot an 86 which is good for me and encouraging for the coming season. Accordingly, I am going to schedule a session with my instructor and set a goal of having a couple of rounds in the high 70s and routinely shoot in the low 80s from senior tees during the year. Hopefully, I am not violating the need to know my limitations.

Who are you working with Sir?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Who are you working with Sir?

Mark Russo at the Nighthawk golf center.   While he uses the technical aids such as Trackman, such is beyond my comprehension.  So it is important to me that I hit balls on to a range where I can see what is happening.   With Mark, I have access to both worlds.    With an instructor it is important that the personalities fit.   Mark and I fit.

... I am resigning myself to the idea that I my never have a Hole In One. After all it isn't something you pursue, it just happens. My cousin has never broken 100 and he has 3 and I witnessed 2 of them. He hit a 30 yd slice with a 3 wood to a short par 3 in the wind and it came in sideways finding the cup. His other was a topped tee shot with a 5 wood off an elevated tee, down a mountain side, hopping over a creek, running on the green and right in the hole. 

... I have 2 double eagles and I have hit one in the hole on the fly only to have it bounce out, and I have spun back an 8 iron that lipped out and that is as close as I have come. I am guessing most here have at least one and several probably have more than one... sigh. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Well, the last several years I've the swing just has never felt right.  A few rounds here and there where things were clicking, but mostly knew the swing was off.  While working on chipping in my backyard this weekend, I figured out that my swing had become all arms on the swing.  Fixed it by keeping the club in front, rotating around the torso and the bulb went off :D!  Chipping became solid, putting started to work the way it should and irons and driver were humming along.  My swing, felt like my old swing pre-kids.  Excited doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling :D  Played in the men's league tonight and had two loose drives that cost me a stroke, but the story is more on the recovery shot.  I was able to hit two iron recovery shots that still gave me a chance to make par (and no, I didn't make the putts and carded bogeys).  Irons were sharp with two chances for birdie.  Baby steps for now, but excited to see what the rest of the season and the new Cobra gear for the Cobra Connect II challenge brings!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Played 27 again today. 81 I think with a double along the way but no birds. Found myself struggling at times but got up and down when needed. Irons werent particulary accurate but realized somewhere on the back that I was creeping up the club which is a big no bueno for me.

Played the back 9 again and it was beautiful evening golf but my back was killing me. Tried a new to me 3 hybrid off the tee and pulled it hard left alomost in the water on another hole...and about hit a guy I didnt see. He wasnt happy with me but held it in. Doubled that hole and 18 for 40. 18 my tee shot caught a single branch and dropped straight down into the trees 100 yards short of my goal. Punched out and eventually 3 putted from about 50 feet.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Played two 9 over the weekend. Both days were less than ideal. Saturday was breezy and I was running late so only nabbed 9 holes. Ended up shooting a 45 on the nose after bogeying 9 with a 3 putt. That round was consistent as could be, with 6 bogeys two pars and one ESC double bogey.

On Sunday the wheels came off with the wind. Not just a little wind, 30 sustained and 50 mph gusts. Easily a 4 club wind when hitting irons. Hardest part was putting because either the wind moved your ball or actually moved the clubhead when swinging. Either way had a ton of 3 putts on top of missed irons. Hopefully I can get 18 in twice this weekend...without the wind.

We had that wind last week.  I think it totally ruined my game.  You are a weather guy... Fit it!!   :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, I shot 81, good for T17 out of 118. Didn't feel like I played well. Had several blowup holes — two doubles and a triple. Took me three stupid shots to get out of a darn bunker! Normally I love bunker play. I also hit a massive shank on a par 3 and had to play from way back in the trees. Also had a four putt. Just couldn't get a feel for the speed. They were faster than what I've been practicing on. To top it off, the wind was blowing 20-30 mph almost the entire time. Well, that's golf...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

81?? Crap!!  You just described my 90!!   :(

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

First, thanks everyone for the support on the trails and tribulations of Kenny B.  So what's new now?  After the bad weekend and a not so good front nine on Monday, but a decent back nine, I spent Tuesday at the practice area at my course.  I worked on pitching, chipping and putting.  I did throw in a small bucket of balls on the range... not my favorite thing to do, but I was desperate.  

Today, I walked with the guys at my club again.  Shot +3 on the front nine and +3 on the back nine with birdies on #2 and #13... 78.  I missed a 6 footer on #18 that would have given me a 77 but I can't complain about my round at all.  My short game is back, well at least it was today.  I did have a couple of poor chips, so I will be spending more time practicing tomorrow.

... I am resigning myself to the idea that I my never have a Hole In One. After all it isn't something you pursue, it just happens. My cousin has never broken 100 and he has 3 and I witnessed 2 of them. He hit a 30 yd slice with a 3 wood to a short par 3 in the wind and it came in sideways finding the cup. His other was a topped tee shot with a 5 wood off an elevated tee, down a mountain side, hopping over a creek, running on the green and right in the hole.

... I have 2 double eagles and I have hit one in the hole on the fly only to have it bounce out, and I have spun back an 8 iron that lipped out and that is as close as I have come. I am guessing most here have at least one and several probably have more than one... sigh.

Not this guy never even got close

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

It'll happen, mine just did in February. Like you saw absolutely stupid hole-in-one over the years from guys who were hitting driver on 120 yard par 3.

Only milestone I would like is to shoot my age. HIO are a lot of luck but shoot your age that's something.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

It'll happen, mine just did in February. Like you saw absolutely stupid hole-in-one over the years from guys who were hitting driver on 120 yard par 3.

Only milestone I would like is to shoot my age. HIO are a lot of luck but shoot your age that's something.

It will happen if you don't focus on it.  I believe I can do it.

It will happen if you don't focus on it. I believe I can do it.

Correct, just aim shoot and one of them will drop.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Chin up chisag! It'll happen-especially as much as you play... Can't wait to hear about it so keep at it!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Wednesday we had early morning tee times and one 3some. I was unfortunately in that 3some and had a walk-on added. The walk-on joined the cart of my half blind Dr friend only to find out walk-on eyesight was worse than Dr's. Spent 17 holes looking for their wayward shots, hitting our balls that were in the fareway because their shots were everywhere except the fareway. Doc is notorious for not fixing pitch marks in the greens we always do it for him. Well walk-on was really bad, never repaired his divots (and they were like a back-hoe hole) or green pitch marks. On the 18th he had a big time pitch mark right in my putting line. Walk-on marked his ball never repairing the mark and waited for me to putt. I walked up fixed the ball and walk-on said “I was going to fix that” a bit sarcastic and I replied “why start now, I've fixed the marks on the last 17 holes”. We didn't part friends but my neighbor, cart bud was laughing his butt off.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Wednesday we had early morning tee times and one 3some. I was unfortunately in that 3some and had a walk-on added. The walk-on joined the cart of my half blind Dr friend only to find out walk-on eyesight was worse than Dr's. Spent 17 holes looking for their wayward shots, hitting our balls that were in the fareway because their shots were everywhere except the fareway. Doc is notorious for not fixing pitch marks in the greens we always do it for him. Well walk-on was really bad, never repaired his divots (and they were like a back-hoe hole) or green pitch marks. On the 18th he had a big time pitch mark right in my putting line. Walk-on marked his ball never repairing the mark and waited for me to putt. I walked up fixed the ball and walk-on said “I was going to fix that” a bit sarcastic and I replied “why start now, I've fixed the marks on the last 17 holes”. We didn't part friends but my neighbor, cart bud was laughing his butt off.

I really have bad luck with walk ons. I'd rather pay for an extra person if they would let me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

First game in a month due to a sore elbow, which made it thru the day yay,

Shot a 35/41 for a 76, and that included a darn triple on a par3 that went into the sand. It was deeply plugged in the downhill side of a steep walled trap. Took me 3 to get out finally..

Ugh

But the great news was using my brand new Tommy Armor $79 putter of the year.

It's just plain awesome.

Tomorrow I'll be gaming my new G400 LSTec driver.

CAnt wait

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I really have bad luck with walk ons. I'd rather pay for an extra person if they would let me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I would have done that with this guy. I usually don't have those problems but this guy was everything That bothers me, slow, doesn't know where his ball is, doesn't fix divots or pitch marks.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Great night tonight in league play. There was 8 foursomes and a threesome. I was in the threesome. My “A” guy was the 2008 amateur champion of Kentucky. We finished -9, birdied every hole. Should've been -10, had an eagle putt on #6, 15' straight up the hill. When you have a guy that you know will put it in the fairway and stick one on the green, it gives you a chance to let it rip on every hole. Ended up using several of my shots. To bad this guy don't play every week.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Played in a scramble today as a guest of a friend who's company was a Gold Sponsor.

She and the other two players are all 25 or higher indexes. Which means my 17 HC made me the A Player 🤭

I was hoping we'd break 80 and not finish last.

Well expectations exceeded.

attachicon.gifIMG_2259.JPG

What a shock we shot a natural 67 and finished 2nd place Net.

I was overall pleased with how I played. I kept us in play off the tee on every hole which gave the young guy in the group a chance to swing away. He could get it out there about 250 to 260 but only 1 out of 5 would be in play.

Each of the other two made a couple decent length birdie putts early on. And I caught over the last 12 holes with the putter dropping 6 or 7 putts from outside 15 feet. A couple were for big par saves and the others for birdie.

All in all a fun day for a good cause on the nicest weather day we've had so far this year.

Keep it up Rob. I know you have this kind of play I you! You just need to maintain that high level of confidence even if you hit a bad shot or two.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Keep it up Rob. I know you have this kind of play I you! You just need to maintain that high level of confidence even if you hit a bad shot or two.

Thanks Cnosil.   Going back to the PING 400 Max definitely made a difference off the tee.  I took my first lesson with a new instructor the other day, and we worked on one thing, changing my swing plane to get rid of the OTT, he give me such a simple drill, I'm going to try and get 30 minutes a day on the range with it, just hitting slow half shots with it at first to try and groove the motion.   It's not that difficult, just a radical change from the way I've been swinging for 30 plus years, so it won't come overnight.   But I think it can be done.   Then move onto the next fix, but he feels that will make a MAJOR impact in my overall consistency by fixing just that right now. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Played better last night. Started on the back 9 without warming up. Went bogey bogey par bogey. But wasn't hitting the ball bad. I proceeded to end the front 9 with . Played the back 9 with 8 pars and another . -2 70. Even better were the 12/14 fairways. The new M4 is working. Maybe it's the ball (OnCore).

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Played in a scramble today as a guest of a friend who's company was a Gold Sponsor.

She and the other two players are all 25 or higher indexes. Which means my 17 HC made me the A Player 🤭

I was hoping we'd break 80 and not finish last.

Well expectations exceeded.

attachicon.gifIMG_2259.JPG

What a shock we shot a natural 67 and finished 2nd place Net.

I was overall pleased with how I played. I kept us in play off the tee on every hole which gave the young guy in the group a chance to swing away. He could get it out there about 250 to 260 but only 1 out of 5 would be in play.

Each of the other two made a couple decent length birdie putts early on. And I caught over the last 12 holes with the putter dropping 6 or 7 putts from outside 15 feet. A couple were for big par saves and the others for birdie.

All in all a fun day for a good cause on the nicest weather day we've had so far this year.

Well done Bro!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played a couple of practice rounds yesterday and today to get ready for a tournament that starts tomorrow. Yesterday I had a 79 with an 8 on a par 5. I played pretty well other than that one hole. Today, on the front nine, I had a 7 on that same hole, but followed it up with 3 straight birdies. About to start the back nine now. Maybe they'll let me skip that hole for the tournament

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Played a couple of practice rounds yesterday and today to get ready for a tournament that starts tomorrow. Yesterday I had a 79 with an 8 on a par 5. I played pretty well other than that one hole. Today, on the front nine, I had a 7 on that same hole, but followed it up with 3 straight birdies. About to start the back nine now. Maybe they'll let me skip that hole for the tournament

... I charted my rounds in LA for the winter quite a few years ago. I was something like 42 under on the par 5's and 21 over on the par 3's. I was very discouraged until I saw Tiger was something like 1,132 under on par 5's for his career and 39 over on par 3's. Ams love par 3's as they are usually much closer to the green but the further back you play from the tee the more difficult the par 3's. Conversely the longer par 5's usually still mean a short or occasionally a mid iron for your 3rd shot if you can't reach in 2, and sometimes the is a godsend as often going for it in 2 is a real risk reward shot, but at your level a 3rd shot is as easy as it gets.

... The point being I feel your pain. A 6 on a par 5 is tough to swallow but a 7 or an 8 is really brutal. Good news is you have that out of your way now and you will birdie or par it in the tournament!   :)

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Played the best I have in a while. 76 net 69, won A grade, equal best off the stick score. Drove it well except for one that nearly went OOB, scrounged a good bogey.

Greens were much firmer and faster than recent rounds, much more to my liking. Putted well, and chipped very well. Short irons were the cause of most of my problems, but I think I worked out and corrected the problem. I thought I'd blown a solid start with 5 bogeys 6-12, but got it back together and finished with a nice birdie.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy