TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

A lot of my usual guys I walk with on Mondays have been on vacation this summer, so I haven't done as much walking as I usually do.  We have only played 9 holes the past few weeks.  Well, today we walked 18.  I must say that my legs were a little rubbery and my dogs were barkin'.  

However, I tend to play better when I walk, and today was another example of it.  I've been struggling lately, although riding with my wife yesterday and playing with the tour pro, I shot a reasonable 81.

Today I shot 78...  +2 on the front and +4 on the back, which included a double bogey on #18 (poor decision making).  I had birdies on #2, #6, and #14.  I hit 10 of 13 Fairways but only 6 GIR.  My short game saved me today.  I was chipping well and only had 26 putts.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yesterday was incredibly awful. I shot a horrible 87. I had 5 GIR and 37 putts. Not a very good ball striking day and one of my worst putting days. The greens are still a little bumpy after being punched, but I can't blame it all on that. I just stunk it up.

Well, today was different, and quite exciting. I've never played 18 holes before with a tour player, well former tour player. About a month ago my wife and I met Vern Burns on the practice green. He is in town working for the next few months. I posted a little bit about him, but here is a repeat:

Vern Burns and played on the Nationwide Tour (now web.com tour) back in the early 1990's. He took up golf at age 37, and he was on the cover of the 2006 African-American Golf Digest magazine. He is from Los Angeles, and he met Earl Woods 3 weeks before Tiger won his third amateur championship. He hung out with Tiger a lot. He also got a few chipping tips from Kirk Triplett. Do a Google search on Vern Burns - professional golfer.

​Well, we were getting ready to play this morning and Vern shows up at the practice green. I was a little surprised that he remembered me; we shook hands and I asked if he was just practicing or playing. He said he wanted to play but didn't have a tee time. I said he could join my wife and I because the couple we were supposed to play with bailed out. He had never played my course before and hadn't even warmed up but we were up in a few minutes. Off we went. A completely casual, fun round. It took him a few holes to get warmed up but he still parred the first 3 holes.

I was mentally keeping match play score, and we were both even or 1UP through the front nine; we each had 3 bogeys. I was happy with +3; Vern wasn't. Vern went 2UP after #10 and #11, but I won #12 with a par. So Vern was now 1UP. He birdied #13; now 2UP. I win #14 with a par, and Vern had a double. Vern 1UP. Vern wins #15 with a par. Vern 2UP. We halve #16 and #17. So he wins 2&1. He also won #18 if you didn't already figure that one out.

I'm sure glad Vern didn't know I was keeping score like that in my head, because I'm sure he could have whipped me a lot worse!! We just had a lot of fun. I don't know what he shot for a score other than +3 on the front. I was 40/41 = 81 with only 6 GIR but 31 putts. I was happy with that.

After the round over a couple of beers, Vern told us about his early life, his family, and his desire to compete again on tour somewhere. I hope he does; great guy!!

Vern Burns and tours truly...

attachicon.gif IMG_0936.jpg

Wow, very cool to be able to play a full round with a playing pro! Were you able to pick up any tips / insights on how he played your course?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Ehhh. Played a Par 3 in gusty conditions and was not controlling the ball off the tee, then could not get up and down in 2 after missing the green, so started with bogies.

Then had my blow-up hole - did not keep that tee shot down, either, wind caught it pushed it up and up and back and to the side and ... right down into the pond fronting the green (replica of Augusta #12). Dropped and chunked that into the bank on the opposite side .. second splash...

Then another bogey, then a double :( ... but _almost_ made a good finish; was on my way to three pars but 3-putted #9 after hitting the green.... (replica of TPC #17 island green).

Been taking a few lessons this season so telling myself the swing changes are still "working their way in"... ;-)

Was supposed to have a playing lesson today, but it's pouring all day so we've rescheduled.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Monday 43-40-83. Hit some really nice shots and a few Pigs that got me in trouble. Still a bit wet but starting to dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Back to back 46's @ Bear Creek, HHI....only lost 2 balls!

Image1537885760.129989.jpgImage1537885767.462523.jpg

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8's from Cobra

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Wow, very cool to be able to play a full round with a playing pro! Were you able to pick up any tips / insights on how he played your course?

Yes, hit the ball better!   :lol:   Having not seen the course before, I thought he played pretty well.  You can get into trouble off the tee on a few holes, if you don't know how to play them.  On #9 dogleg left par 5, I told him where to hit the ball.  He didn't listen, and end up in the rough on the left at the dogleg.  The difference between me and the pro is when I'm there, it's an automatic bogey or worse. For him it was a missed birdie putt.  The approach shots for pros are amazing!!

One thing I forgot to mention... #17 is a really short par 3, playing about 115y that day, uphill into the wind.  I hit a poor shot that ends up pin high to the right of the green; just a big push.  Vern on the green short left.  Martha is on the green short about 12 feet.  I pitch onto the green, poorly just inside Martha's ball.  Well, she makes the birdie!!  Now Vern says and rightly so, the pressure is on.  You know the line!!  I drain the putt.  He gives me a fist bump, and tells me I saved one for the guys!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kind of a rough go today, trying a semi-new swing, to get a little more draw going.

Also got a shock by hearing that one of my good buddies had passed out of the blue.

That's the part of getting older that I do not like at all...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Played in a Knights of Columbus Scramble on HHI. Finished with a 76, +4, Net 48 and finished 1 out of the money!

Lotsa fun....Driver & 3 wood were beasts today.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Played in a Knights of Columbus Scramble on HHI. Finished with a 76, +4, Net 48 and finished 1 out of the money!

Lotsa fun....Driver & 3 wood were beasts today.

Great playing Foz!!  You shot a net 48, and was out of the money???  WTH?

Great playing Foz!! You shot a net 48, and was out of the money??? WTH?

we shot 76(+4) then they took an average of our USGA handicaps to get to net 48.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Ehh, not so good.

Well, okay I played like a drunk, three legged elephant.

Driver was so bad. Short game was good, but it had to be with how badly I struck the ball.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

40/42:82 @ Palmetto Hall in HHI.....almost finished with birdie birdie but Elvis was in the building as the birdie putt lipped out and 360 and came back at me. Great round...will def play this course next year.

Shot decent, still working with trying to get a consistent draw going. Driver was super solid today, go G400!

Spent the back 9 taking one extra club on all approach shots (125 and in) and hitting low punch 3/4 swing shots. The results were fantastic actually, like throwing darts.

This shot has been swirling in my head ever since one of the spies did a post on how the pros always have the lower trajectories on their approach shots. Now it's starting to really make sense.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Been on vacation all week.  Between house work and rain, I haven't had time or a nice day to play golf. I took the day today and played. I hooked up with an older gentleman that wanted to play from the blue tees. Okay. He was 66 and he kept up with me on every hole. I shot 39 on the front... he shot 38!

On the back we were even through 6 holes. I finally got him on the 7th and stayed ahead of him the rest of the way. I shot 39 on the back and he 40. It was an awesome day with a great guy! I hope to play with him again!

Been on vacation all week. Between house work and rain, I haven't had time or a nice day to play golf. I took the day today and played. I hooked up with an older gentleman that wanted to play from the blue tees. Okay. He was 66 and he kept up with me on every hole. I shot 39 on the front... he shot 38!

On the back we were even through 6 holes. I finally got him on the 7th and stayed ahead of him the rest of the way. I shot 39 on the back and he 40. It was an awesome day with a great guy! I hope to play with him again!

Sounds like a fun day. I'm sure the ole fart enjoyed the game and the company

Rick

Left Hand, 

43/41:84 at my home course, after a week of HHI.

Tied for 5th plus a skin......

went out today.

played 9 holes.

Here's the temp

Screenshot_2018-09-29-11-47-10.png

tough going - windy as well

one hole I was 165 out, decided that since I have been short on all previous approach shots,I'd decided to pull out the 6 iron which is usually 195. Decided to fade it around the dog leg and if it didn't work, I'd still be in the fairway. Fade worked out beautifully, but as it started curving towards the hole,ended up short and in the bunker ( stupid me not realizing it would be straight into the wind- my excuse😁😁 and I'm sticking with it).

Here are some pics. My regular course was hosting a tournament so I went to this course (Desert Blume)

I've been really struggling with chipping and am skulling it almost every time. this part of the game has gone to the dogs

20180929_144125.jpg

20180929_144120.jpg

20180929_134053.jpg

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Yikes I cannot believe you guys are already that nasty "s" word up there.....!!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Beautiful day for golf today - mid 60's no wind and a cloudless blue sky.

Mixed bag with a couple of bogies, a few pars and even a birdie. Over just played to my handicap.

The birdie was on this short par three - ended up 12" from the hole.

IMG_4307.JPG

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I also reported in the Bridgestone test thread, but I had my best round in a couple years today 42/40 on a par 70. Only 1 penalty stroke, and 26 total putts. I tweaked my back about a week and a half ago and tried to be very deliberate and tentative. It worked very well and kept tee balls in play, but irons were only ok. I hit quite a few thin today, but chipping and putting saved me.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Beautiful day for golf today - mid 60's no wind and a cloudless blue sky.

Mixed bag with a couple of bogies, a few pars and even a birdie. Over just played to my handicap.

The birdie was on this short par three - ended up 12" from the hole.

attachicon.gif IMG_4307.JPG

Awesome! Perfect weather.

Waiting patiently for it in FL.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Was playing at HHI this week and the weather was much warmer than last year. Played in the upper 80's low 90's.

15 minutes ago, EthanSterlingPrice said:

Image1538353210.338494.jpg Local 2018 Club Championship is over and done. Shot 75 both days to win by 3 shots.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Congrats!!!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Image1538353210.338494.thumb.jpg.08a7225c29ed98065799071640334265.jpg Local 2018 Club Championship is over and done. Shot 75 both days to win by 3 shots.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Great job, Congratulations

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played with my son and his brother in law. Had so much fun

Scores were 78, 88, 98. Shortest driver and oldest guy had the 78. My son had this drive off a Happy Gilmore shot - for real.

IMG_1364.JPG

290 plus!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, GB13 said:

Congrats!!!

wow.

way to go

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Have some family visiting from the mainland this week and after a party on Saturday night, one of our cousins invited my Uncle and I to play today. After a long night of drinking and eating, we all managed to get up and out to the course by 830. Took me a while to get the driver working and managed an 82 with 2 doubles and a triple, yikes. Couldn't keep the energy up it was just too hot -- I don't know how you Florida folks do it. We've been having some crazy humidity/heat lately and our tradewinds vanished. My clothes were basically a 2nd skin by noon.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Congratulations Ethan!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!